Edge of the Empire

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Feb 5, 2015 3:18 am
Is it at all possible for me to play the Heavy build for Hired Gun?
Feb 5, 2015 3:29 am
jimmylogan says:
No preference on the role I would play - what is needed? A "face" ?

I don't mind playing a droid, but prefer not to. Again, if that's what is "needed" though...
There's no requirement for a droid character. On page 1 of the thread there's an adventure seed I posted, it's not much but it'll serve as a starting point.
KennygardnerIII says:
Is it at all possible for me to play the Heavy build for Hired Gun?
So far we've been restricting things to the core specifications I listed in that post, so no. But if everyone wants to go with any specification for EotE, then I'm fine with that. I just figured that we should keep things relatively simple to start.
Feb 5, 2015 3:30 am
I'm making a character now and I'm not all that familiar with the system. How much Obligation do we each start with?
Feb 5, 2015 12:31 pm
Okay everyone, the game is created and we can get rolling with discussion/character creation over there. There's also a specific Character Creation subforum to use for character creation. And because of all the questions of specializations from supplements I've put up a thread for you all to vote on: if you want specializations from a supplement, now's your chance to vote for it.

Darth Vader wants you to join! Do your service to your Emperor and the galaxy today!
Feb 5, 2015 12:49 pm
Damn, I wanna plan in this... oh well, there will be other times. For now, I have to get EotE dice working for you guys! I'll try to get the icon work done by this weekend, and replace it, while I seek legal advice on the color/names. My initial guess is that its fine, but gonna play it safe, since I have a hookup for a free consult with a big firm anyway :D
Feb 5, 2015 2:35 pm
RustInPieces says:
jimmylogan says:
No preference on the role I would play - what is needed? A "face" ?

I don't mind playing a droid, but prefer not to. Again, if that's what is "needed" though...
There's no requirement for a droid character. On page 1 of the thread there's an adventure seed I posted, it's not much but it'll serve as a starting point.
Okay - saw that - looks like another "hired gun" type of guy would not hurt anything? Since it looks like a "protection" mission? Maybe a bodyguard type spec?
Feb 5, 2015 2:35 pm
Keleth says:
Damn, I wanna plan in this... oh well, there will be other times.
Have you played the system at all? It's my favorite RPG so far, and I'm an old guy. :-)
Feb 5, 2015 2:41 pm
RustInPieces says:
Okay everyone, the game is created and we can get rolling with discussion/character creation over there. There's also a specific Character Creation subforum to use for character creation. And because of all the questions of specializations from supplements I've put up a thread for you all to vote on: if you want specializations from a supplement, now's your chance to vote for it.

Darth Vader wants you to join! Do your service to your Emperor and the galaxy today!
No posts in the thread yet, but I'll be glad to get it started. [EDIT: looks like there's no thread for me to post in and it won't let me start a new thread]

As for the vote, I voted yes to allow, and I'd like to explain, GM to GM, why I think that's okay.

The core rules are the same - period. The dice are the same, the "building a dice pool" is the same, the combat rules are the same. The main difference between the Core books is one has Obligation and the other has Duty. Another difference is races available, and these are expanded on in the splat (supplement) books in addition to having extra talent trees.

It's been my experience that allowing a mixture only allows for a more varied play experience as it varies the things available to the crew. It shouldn't add anything to the duty of GM, unless you don't trust someone when they say they have enough XP to buy that talent.

The weapons and ships that are available also follow the EXACT SAME RULES and thus just give a more varied pool to pull from.

Since this is not a "rebels" game, though, I would suggest that while any book can be used for race and/or specialization that we ONLY use the Obligation mechanic. If the game evolves in such a way that the PC's join the Rebellion Against the Empire then Duty can be added (that's the way both of my campaigns started - one has gone into SOME rebel activity while the other is too new - they are still trying to get out from under the "long arm of the hutt" :-) ).
Last edited February 5, 2015 2:42 pm
Feb 5, 2015 3:17 pm
Permissions are fixed in the sub forum. I'll reply to your other points over lunch break.
Feb 5, 2015 5:29 pm
I'be approved everyone's join requests for the game, so you guys should be able to post and vote now.
jimmylogan says:
As for the vote, I voted yes to allow, and I'd like to explain, GM to GM, why I think that's okay.

The core rules are the same - period. The dice are the same, the "building a dice pool" is the same, the combat rules are the same. The main difference between the Core books is one has Obligation and the other has Duty. Another difference is races available, and these are expanded on in the splat (supplement) books in addition to having extra talent trees.

It's been my experience that allowing a mixture only allows for a more varied play experience as it varies the things available to the crew. It shouldn't add anything to the duty of GM, unless you don't trust someone when they say they have enough XP to buy that talent.

The weapons and ships that are available also follow the EXACT SAME RULES and thus just give a more varied pool to pull from.
Thinking more about it, I agree that allowing all EoTE supplements is reasonable. My biggest concern is some talents in their tree form are vague, just look at Jury-Rigged for example, and require looking them up in their full form. So merely reading them from the talent tree can be complicated. To that end, I think I'll be adding a thread for people to post a list of resources at their disposal. That way we know what supplements are available to us.
jimmylogan says:
Since this is not a "rebels" game, though, I would suggest that while any book can be used for race and/or specialization that we ONLY use the Obligation mechanic. If the game evolves in such a way that the PC's join the Rebellion Against the Empire then Duty can be added (that's the way both of my campaigns started - one has gone into SOME rebel activity while the other is too new - they are still trying to get out from under the "long arm of the hutt" :-) ).
This is my primary concern. We're starting a game where the players aren't "rebels" and aren't skilled force users. For that matter, not everyone has major combat experience like the AoR classes focus on. So I do want to focus on EoTE and Obligation, and maybe if someone can justify it I'll allow using an AoR specialization. But those are more logical as secondary specializations for our game, in my opinion.
Feb 5, 2015 5:40 pm
jimmylogan says:
Have you played the system at all? It's my favorite RPG so far, and I'm an old guy. :-)
Its currently one of my favorite systems, in theme, in mechanics, and in play. It feels dramatic, just by dice rolls if nothing else.
Feb 5, 2015 8:55 pm
Keleth says:
jimmylogan says:
Its currently one of my favorite systems, in theme, in mechanics, and in play. It feels dramatic, just by dice rolls if nothing else.
:-) Very cool!

And Rust - I can go along with that for sure! I'm the same way when it comes to the Talents... If you don't have the book you don't have a full list of the talent, so you can't "use" it. (in my games, I mean)
Feb 5, 2015 9:15 pm
Hey - still won't let me start a thread... Was going to start something about a character idea and see if it meshes... Also figure can develop some backstory there.

And I'm at work right now and my books are in my truck. May can start tonight...
Feb 5, 2015 11:23 pm
jimmylogan says:
Hey - still won't let me start a thread... Was going to start something about a character idea and see if it meshes... Also figure can develop some backstory there.

And I'm at work right now and my books are in my truck. May can start tonight...
Strange, KennyGardnerIII was able to do so in the character forum. Try again when you get a chance (both the top-level game forum, and the subforum).

As to specializations, they're almost all open—especially since I've decided to open all the specializations up. That includes races/equipment/ships, etc. However I'll need to know who owns what supplements so that they can act as a reference for the rest of us.

Two hired guns would be useful. However, bear in mind that if the client were to get wounded, the only specializations with medicine as class skills are the Doctor and Mercenary Soldier. Plus we're talking bacta and alternatives, someone with a rank in medicine would come in handy no matter what.
Feb 6, 2015 12:01 am
I'll roll up a colonist/doctor (I borrowed a copy of the EotE book.)
Feb 6, 2015 12:05 am
Qralloq says:
I'll roll up a colonist/doctor (I borrowed a copy of the EotE book.)
Sweet! And with the right race/skills that could easily make you the party face right from the start.
Feb 6, 2015 12:33 am
Wow, I take one day off from the internet to pay rent and do grocery shopping and this thread EXPLPODES! Applied to the game. I'll get caught up hopefully later tonight. But right now it's dinner time!
Feb 6, 2015 12:47 am
EldritchFire says:
Wow, I take one day off from the internet to pay rent and do grocery shopping and this thread EXPLPODES! Applied to the game. I'll get caught up hopefully later tonight. But right now it's dinner time!
Tell me about it, it's been hard for me to keep up with. :D Welcome to the game... it's starting to get really interesting.
Feb 6, 2015 4:03 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong -

Roster thus far:

- mrmrlol: Smuggler/Pilot
- EldritchFire: ? + Universal/Force Sensitive Exile
- KennyGardnerIII: Hired Gun Type
- Qralloq: Doctor
- jimmylogan: ?

I can't find where Eldritch is going Force Sensitive... I see the posts about it being there, but is that what he's going for?

Just trying to decide how to round out the group... I'm fine going a little force, a little pilot, a little gunnery - just a more rounded character "Jack of All Trades" kind of thing (majoring in undecided). As someone with SOME pilot skill would be able to co-pilot as well as "plot course" and astrogation.

Could also play a splicer computer guy... Or a mech/slicer...
Feb 6, 2015 5:25 pm
EldritchFire asked about it in this post. So I've proceeded under the assumption he'd build a force sensitive.

Your roster is accurate to my knowledge.

Are you able to post in the game forum? You should have permissions for it.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.