TftF Character Creation

Jun 8, 2021 9:34 am
We can use this channel to discuss your characters.

The first step for that is for all of you to come up with a rough concept and then pick a suitable Type. If you do have access to the Things from the Flood Rulebook, you'll find the Types in Chapter 4, starting on page 48, but in case you don't, I'll post the brief blurbs for each of them here. No two characters can be the same type. If you already have some ideas for your character (name, age (between 14 and 19), gender, general attitude, hobbies, problems...), feel free to post those here already as well.

Once everyone has a rough idea for their character and has a Type picked out, we can move on to the rest of character creation.
Jun 8, 2021 9:34 am
[ +- ] Hacker
[ +- ] Jock
[ +- ] Lone Wolf
[ +- ] Motorhead
[ +- ] Party Animal
[ +- ] Raver
[ +- ] Rocker
[ +- ] Seeker
[ +- ] Snob
[ +- ] Street Kid
Jun 9, 2021 10:23 am
Rocker please!
Jun 9, 2021 4:14 pm
OOC:
Hey all, first game here so not 100% sure what I'm doing - any tips are greatly appreciated. Here's my character idea, happy to come up with another if anyone else wants to be a jock.
I'm Eric, the local, loveable jock.
Sure everyone says football is the sport to get into; "Think of the money!" or "You could be super famous!".
Not me though, I always preferred the thrill of ice hockey - it's faster, and a just a bit rougher, not that I'm into it for the fights! I'm only 16 and looking at making it large! My coach is SURE there are international teams out scouting for me right now! In just a week or two I'll be jetting off to Pittsburgh, Minnesota, even Boston, or, so my coach says... Then again, my coach did say that last month... and last year... But heck yeah I'm going to make it big! I'm sure of it!
Jun 9, 2021 4:18 pm
Hey there, you two!

Let's see what the others say but I like what I'm seeing so far with your background, Bryn!
There's defintiely some starting points there to work with. Once everyone is there and has a basic idea of what they want to play, we can work out some more details and get into the really interesting bits.

For everyone, if you just create an empty Custom character sheet and submit it to this game, I can copypaste a sheet template int it that we can work with throughout the process!

I'm really excited to get this game started with you :)
Jun 9, 2021 5:57 pm
My girl is a rocker.

Product of a Swedish mother and German father. At some point she and mom left Germany and returned to mom's family in the area. How long ago, depends on how we put everyone together.

I see her as way more cutting edge than worshiping Kurt Cobain. Nirvana is on the easy listening channel, as far as she's concerned. Stuff she let's her mom hear her enjoying...if you know what I mean. White Zombie is decent to listen to, but she's now been exposed to early German death metal and the Swedish variants coming out of Stockholm and Gothenburg. The family wouldn't approve or understand.

She's likely played Kult and that new game from the US; Vampire.

She wants to be a singer...well...since she can't play the guitar her father gifted her anymore. Her mother, on advise from others, sold it.

I am thinking she has a fake ID, so she can get into clubs, buy alcohol, and stuff like that.

I want to leave a lot of her build and background loose at the moment, to allow some wiggle room and meshing potential.
Last edited June 9, 2021 6:22 pm
Jun 9, 2021 7:09 pm
Sounds awesome, RageRed.
For buying alcohol, check out Systembolaget, it's the only place you can buy alcohol in Sweden. But with a fake ID, that's not an obstacle, just something interesting to know for flavor.
Jun 9, 2021 7:36 pm
I'm in the middle of my work day, but excited to dig into this later today! Snob is jumping out at me right away. I could totally play some rich jerk - they can have some of the best character development arcs if done right.
Jun 9, 2021 7:39 pm
Snob is always a good choice 😉 My first Loop character was a Popular Kid and my first Flood character was a Snob. Definitely great archetypes
Jun 9, 2021 11:46 pm
Lone Wolf

My name is Karl, I am 16 and I always have my discman and headphones on listening to Rage Against the Machine, Anthrax, Slayer.

My father is out of the picture since I was around 4, I am an only child latchkey kid. Mom is always working and leaves me to my own devices. I have outgrown the kids from my youth and have become very much a loner. The only thing I am any good at is fighting, to keep me out of trouble when I was younger my mother signed me up for Kung Fu, but I don't share that knowledge with anyone.
OOC:
I have no idea what I am doing lol, am pretty new to RPG's and have only played 3.5 and PF1E before GP and 5e here on GP. Figured I would try something different.
Last edited June 9, 2021 11:49 pm
Jun 10, 2021 5:40 am
Concept Update:

https://i.postimg.cc/gLdhzyjJ/Sabine.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/7ZRsSG78/Sabineav.jpg

Type: Rocker
Name: Sabine Ilsabet Vass

Iconic Item: Fake ID

NPCs: Aunt, Therapist, GF

Anchor: Vocal Coach/Guitar Teacher

Product of a Swedish mother and German father. As with many born to Swedish mothers, Sabine has mother's surname. Her parents were never officially married. Her father was a music promoter and her mother was an aspiring actress.

Some time prior to the beginning of our story, her parents died in a home invasion while Sabine was off partying using her fake ID, at a club. Those responsible have never been caught.

She was shipped off to Sweden to live with her aunt. She and the aunt do not get along. Aunt is the complete opposite of her mother and finds everything about Sabine a disgrace before God.

Sabine is way more cutting edge than worshiping Kurt Cobain. Nirvana is on the easy listening channel, as far as she's concerned. Stuff she let's her aunt hear her enjoying...if you know what I mean. White Zombie is decent to listen to, but she's now been exposed to early German death metal and the Swedish variants coming out of Stockholm and Gothenburg. The family wouldn't approve or understand.

She's likely played Kult and that new game from the US; Vampire.

She wants to be a singer...well...since she can't play the guitar/amp her father gifted her anymore. Her aunt, on advise from others, sold it and lied, saying it has been stolen.

She has a fake ID, so she can get into clubs, buy alcohol from the Systembolaget, and stuff like that.
Last edited June 13, 2021 10:57 am
Jun 10, 2021 8:55 am
WIP...

https://i.imgur.com/uU9uuza.jpg[

Type: Snob
Name: Mikael Schantz
Birthday: 1/25

Iconic Item: Cell Phone

Mikael grew up in the Mälaren Islands and enjoyed a life of wealth and privilege. The only son of a physician and local politician, Mikael seemed to have it all - friends, name-brand clothes, and all the CD's and other junk he could want. He would flaunt that crap any time he could to get the attention he could never find at home.

Funny, his parents hardly seemed to notice him around for years, and he certainly wasn't making trouble for them, but all of a sudden they had this brilliant idea to send him away to boarding school. He was livid and shocked, feeling utterly betrayed by his parents, and believing whole-heartedly that they simply didn't want him around anymore.

He tried to excel in his studies, and did alright for a couple years, but then things started to slip. Even good grades and achievement rewards weren't enough to earn a proverbial pat on the back from mom and dad anymore, so what was the point in trying? He barely kept up pace with the other students, but it was a fight with Niko Runstadt, certified bully and piece of garbage, that landed him in the headmaster's office and a swift expulsion.

His parents still didn't seem to care. He had failed them so intensely, but they wouldn't let him see the disappointment. Instead they kept going on as if he never left in the first place.

Since then, Mikael has tried to piece his life back together. Oh, he certainly still flaunts his fancy cell phone - only kid in the school to have one! - and everything else, it helps to let the other kids at school know just where is on the pecking order. His experience at Boarding School taught him that the importance of being important in order to get by in life, and he plans to climb that ladder to the last, bloody rung while he tries to rebuild the friendships and other relationships he lost when his parents sent him away.
[ +- ]
Jun 10, 2021 9:47 am
Very awesome so far! I can tell this game is going to be fun.

I approved your sheets and copypasted a format into them. Feel free to edit it to make it work better for you if you want.
Rage already filled some stuff out so that works.

Next step is your Attributes and Skills. You distribute 14 points between the four Attributes, with a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 5 each.
And then you have 10 points to spread between skills. Each Type has three key skills. You can go up to level 3 in those. In any of the others, your max is 1 at character creation.

There is a list of what all the skills do in the Rules Thread in the References subforum of this game.

Rizzoxiii, once you've submitted a character sheet, I'll approve that as well. Here's the character sheet format I copypasted into the others' sheets so you can already work on it right away.
[ +- ] Character Sheet
The Key Skills for your chosen Types are:

Jock: Force, Move, Lead
Lone Wolf: Sneak, Comprehend, Empathize
Rocker: Move, Empathize, Investigate
Snob: Charm, Contact, Comprehend
Jun 10, 2021 1:56 pm
What is our starting date in-game? [?/?/1995?]
Jun 10, 2021 2:11 pm
Good question.
Let's say Thursday, April 6 1995
Jun 10, 2021 7:16 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Good question.
Let's say Thursday, April 6 1995
Perfect! Now I can say I'm rolling with on of these bad boys...ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the Motorola Flare!

https://www.mobilephonehistory.co.uk/motorola/motorola_graphite.gif

Ooh, so hot it hurts!
Last edited June 10, 2021 7:17 pm
Jun 10, 2021 11:48 pm
Sweden has a drinking age? Most European countries don't, some have a height requirement though lol. I know Germany doesn't but they enforce a curfew for teenagers under 15, I believe it is they have to leave the bar/club at midnight.
Jun 10, 2021 11:50 pm
There's definitely a drinking age here in Germany. 16 for beer and wine, 18 for anything stronger
Jun 10, 2021 11:51 pm
And Sweden also has one
Quote:
Buying alcohol in Sweden and Systembolaget
The minimum drinking age in bars is 18, though some bars and nightclubs might have a higher age limit for entry; 20 or even 25. The minimum age to buy alcoholic beverages containing over 3.5 % alcohol by volume is 20, and they can only be bought at Systembolaget.
Jun 10, 2021 11:53 pm
But while I'll definitely be trying to make this game feel Swedish, I'm not an expert on Sweden, and especially nto Sweden in the 90s. So I'm not going to research every single aspect and I'll definitely get some things wrong. And I definitely won't obsess over any inaccuracies that happen to pop up. We're just here to have fun.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.