Out Of Character Comment Thread

Jul 13, 2021 9:00 pm
Hello everyone. This is the "anything out of character" discussion area.
Jul 14, 2021 2:54 am
1. First
2. Meters !!! How can you play Star Wars if you don't get Meters!!
Jul 14, 2021 3:44 am
Esidrix says:
1. First
2. Meters !!! How can you play Star Wars if you don't get Meters!!
I'm familiar with both but mostly run into inches, yards, miles and pounds in daily life (as opposed to centimeters, meters, kilometers and kilograms). I think I remember hearing my grandfather say something along the lines of "The rest of the world uses metric, but we put people on the moon, so how's their metric working out for them?"

I don't know if the World War 2 generation were interested in using metric. In any case, I'll put up a short quick reference because knowledge is power...and half the battle.
Jul 14, 2021 4:26 am
I just measure everything in parsecs, like "I have 50 parsecs of spice, and I have to take it over 20 parsecs in the next parsec and a half."
Jul 14, 2021 4:41 pm
Rezart says:
I just measure everything in parsecs, like "I have 50 parsecs of spice, and I have to take it over 20 parsecs in the next parsec and a half."
I think we found the group's astrogation expert. :)
Jul 14, 2021 4:42 pm
Anyone who can do a trip in less distance than the trip is a legend. :)
Jul 14, 2021 6:09 pm
Does anyone care whether this game is private or public? I don't, but I'm interested to hear back on it from all of you on the matter.
Jul 14, 2021 6:26 pm
I see no reason to keep it private. But I also don't mind either way.
Jul 14, 2021 6:40 pm
I don't see any reason to keep it private.
Jul 14, 2021 7:21 pm
All good with either.
Jul 14, 2021 10:39 pm
So, are we playing pre-gens in this game?
Jul 14, 2021 11:14 pm
Rezart says:
So, are we playing pre-gens in this game?
No.

I’m sorry for the confusion with the character templates. I wouldn’t feel comfortable just assigning characters to players (does that happen?). The Mandalorian, Duros pilot, Rodian tech, and IG Droid are there as examples for character creation (refresher and in case someone new joins us and doesn’t know how to make a character) and I will be referring to The Outhouse Mouse crew in the data pad involving the combat grid as soon as I can.

I put up an introduction to the first part of the game’s plot. You all would be contracted mercs who work with the Devaronean the ISB agent called towards the end of the intro. Any ideas yet on what you’re all wanting to play?
Jul 14, 2021 11:25 pm
I think the character templates thread and the combat grid thread will make a lot more sense when they’re done. I expect that to be done sometime this weekend, and we will hopefully start early next week if everyone’s ready.
Jul 14, 2021 11:38 pm
I was half-thinking of a Wookie, but not dead set on it yet. I've never played one, but I was thinking that doing one in a PBP might be less annoying than doing one in FTF play, since I could put a translation of what my character's saying in a note.
Jul 15, 2021 1:40 am
Rezart says:
I was half-thinking of a Wookie, but not dead set on it yet. I've never played one, but I was thinking that doing one in a PBP might be less annoying than doing one in FTF play, since I could put a translation of what my character's saying in a note.
That’s a good idea! One of my players in an old game played a Gamorrean with a vocabulator translation machine worn around his neck. He had a great time with the character.
Jul 16, 2021 4:29 pm
Howdy folks. Just a quick update. I put up an example combat grid in the reference section showing a potential ambush scenario. I'm going to be working on the example characters this weekend and should have all that ironed out by the end of the weekend. I'm hoping that we'll be able to start soon, like next week soon. If you have any questions or still are unsure what to play, send a PM. Thanks!

Edit: I just wanted to reiterate that you don't have to wait for the character examples. If you're familiar with making a D6 Star Wars character, then go for it. :) The sooner I see concepts, character backgrounds, questions, and stats from everyone, the sooner I'll be able to better personalize what I have planned around your characters.
Jul 17, 2021 6:38 pm
Character Ideas
I had a few ideas about characters while reading the Alien Race section of the book. I have not looked into the exact Skill mechanics to make sure they make sense, so suggestions/corrections are welcome.

These are merely preliminary ideas. I am still open to play anything that is needed, but sometimes it helps to have someone start the process.

Glancing at the Templates in the back of the book I was struck by the 'Loyal Retainer' as a concept. I would be interested in playing someone's servant if one of you feel like playing someone with some 'noble' heritage (which you have probably lost, due to where we sit in the game, but maybe you retained your loyal servant?).

I am thinking maybe a Gotal (p293), good at finding what their master needs, terrible at most other things. Or maybe a Barabel (p281) bodyguard? Bodyguard is a bit less interesting than a manservant/maidservant, but I can go that route if we need more muscle (we might already have a Wookie for muscle though, and I don't want to step on their toes (good way to lose an arm)).

I also had an idea for a Kel Dor (p298) 'Scout'; maybe using Tech Skills for making poisons and gas grenades? Or a Verpine (304) Tech, they look interesting.

All I know about the races is what is in the REUP book.

Probably the character I have thought about the most (and even that is not a lot, so, still happy to change) is a Falleen 'Grifter,
Manipulator, Seducer'. They would be a Knowledge and Perception based character, skilled at getting information out of people and getting people to do things for us. I even have a first draft backstory for their origin. :)
[ +- ] backstory
Jul 17, 2021 7:04 pm
If you’re set on the Faleen, I think I have their stats and story factors in the Shadows The Empire Sourcebook and in another sourcebook focusing on the Aliens of the galaxy. That character choice would be fine as you described.

I don’t see a problem with any of the others; such as the Kel Dor, Verpine or Gotal. The Barabel wouldn’t be a bad choice either.

I know, it’s hard to pick sometimes, but aside from the Noghri (little Terminators), the aliens of the galaxy are pretty balanced when considering their stat adjustments and story factors.

Let me know if you need me to pick for you. 😁 I’ll roll on it…but I’d rather you do it.
Jul 17, 2021 7:09 pm
Let's see what everyone else wants and what best fits the party. I am happy to play anything, and can easily decide when we know more.
Jul 17, 2021 8:28 pm
I understand. Tomorrow I’m going to post two alien character examples for sure, and hopefully the droid character as well if not by Monday evening.

I have one player character sheet received and accepted. One player has mentioned in private what he’s wanting to play, and I’ll be working with him in developing his character. I wouldn’t feel right about discussing their characters before the game, so we’ll wait and see what everyone comes up with. :)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.