Your Introduction to Gamersplane and PBP

Aug 5, 2021 8:26 pm
Hey there!

Going from live RPG sessions around a table or even from never having played an RPG before to Play-by-Post can be confusing. I want to make this step as easy for as many people as possible so I have decided to offer quick "Tutorial" games to anyone who wants to try out whether this form of playing is for them or anyone who wants to get a first impression of both the hobby and this site!

In this "tutorial", you'll be able to play through a very quick adventure within just a handful of posts. I'll introduce how you can create a character sheet and submit it to a game, how rolling dice works and I'll give you some tips on making and formatting your posts.
Plus, I'll be there for any questions that might come up, both in this little exercise and in any other games you might join!

This is not a limited offer. Anyone who wants to try it will be able to play! Just apply to the game you're interested in by following the link in the table below and the game's GM will let you in and get you started. (Maybe also drop a post in this thread or send the GM a private message on their user page just in case they miss your application).
At this point, I offer only one system/adventure for my tutorials. I am planning to expand this to other games in the future. Once I do, these alternatives will be listed here as well. If other members decide to run Tutorials like this as well, I will also add links and descriptions for those here as well! I'm hoping to get to a point where new members have plenty of options for quick tutorial games in whatever system or setting sounds interesting to them!

Name Offered By System Description Content Warnings Links
The Werewolf of Svartsjölandet bowlofspinach Tales from the Loop In this game set in an alternative 1980s Sweden, full of strange technologies, robots and mysteries, you are just a regular kid. Christian, a local bully has dragged you out to a forest at nightfall and is forcing you to venture inside and investigate the rumors of a werewolf roaming around these woods. Will you discover the secret behind the werewolf and escape unharmed? Harm to children (no death) Click here
Aug 5, 2021 9:14 pm
I am always interested in teaching new players. I can offer many PbtA (Powered by the Apocalypse) games, including the simple WoDu (World of Dungeons) ones.

Since I am still fairly new to this site, I would not mind joining one of your quick games to make sure I keep to the same standard, and teach the techniques and tricks favored here.
Aug 6, 2021 5:02 am
Sure, just apply to the game and I'll run you through what I have!
Aug 6, 2021 10:56 am
Are you planing on running these one-on-one, whenever a new player show up?

I found, when doing this elsewhere, that new players are inconsiderate and don't show up in groups of appropriate size to make a game from (they should know better, the noobs:).
I found recruiting (a possibly rotating cast of) dedicated, experienced(ish) players to fill the game and support the newbies helped. They all understand it is a 'teaching new players' game and that we shelve it and reopen it as needed.
I have used this for both 'new to the site'/'new to PbP', and 'new to the game system' type games.
Aug 6, 2021 1:09 pm
It's a one on one game introductory game, so only one player at a time (or several running in parallel games).
Aug 6, 2021 1:23 pm
Ah, that can solve the timing issue. This is an excellent way quickly teach the fundamentals --of a game system or of the site.
That also explains the 'handful of posts' bit. :)

I have found that --outside of direct teaching-- new players can get overwhelmed in one-on-one games, they seem like a safe way to introduce people, but there are pitfalls. When they try to actually play, they have no one else to bounce ideas off of, no other player to model their actions after, and sometime feel they are in the spotlight all the time and have to perform.
I have also had new players worry about how things will work when other players are involved. How will they resolve disagreements (game rules don't answer that question).

Once i have a bit more practice with this site, I might think about offering a quick and easy game or two for new players to jump into when they arrive, having some experienced players on standby would help. Often we see someone new show up, say they are looking for a thing (normally 5e):, they don't find anything to join in the next few days and vanish. It can be daunting and disappointing to have to wait when one is exited about a new hobby.
Aug 6, 2021 3:52 pm
That's true, one on one doesn't perfectly translate into group games but I think as an introduction to PBP/GP, it's still valuable.
Aug 6, 2021 4:01 pm
I agree. If I hadn't been able to play in a one on one on another site a few years ago, I might never have played at all. Getting comfortable with the dice roller, the forum format (IC and OOC), and the relationship between a GM and the player, does a great job of arming you with the tools that make entry into a group game much less intimidating.
Aug 6, 2021 4:20 pm
Absolutely. A one-on-one tutorial is a very valuable offer. It benefits all games the player later plays in. Having someone willing to put in the personal time with new players is amazing.
We can additionally offer them a game to try afterwards. I will think about putting together something to complement this.
Aug 6, 2021 4:40 pm
Definitely, offering group games for beginners would be awesome as well. It's just harder to implement
Aug 7, 2021 4:44 am
I can also offer introductory games with pre-generated characters to ease people into the game. I can teach any version of D&D (except 4e because I hate creating 4e characters without computer aid), Villains & Vigilantes 2.1, Mighty Protectors (V&V 3.0), Alternity (old or new), Pathfinder 1e, Mutants & Masterminds 3e, or Savage Worlds (SWADE). Name your poison and I'll arrange a brief demo game for those who are interested.
Aug 7, 2021 6:42 am
The idea of this is more to have structured introductions where I (or others) can quickly run anyone who wants to through a prepared adventure that teaches the basics with not much effort for myself (It's all set up in a way where I could in theory even just hand over the forum to someone else and they could take over for me 😄)
Running introductory games on request is really awesome as well but might deserve its own post instead!
Aug 7, 2021 1:59 pm
bowlofspinach says:
... might deserve its own post instead!
Done :)
WhtKnt says:
I can also offer ...
Feel free to post about them in the Games for new players :) thread.
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Aug 7, 2021 2:02 pm
Your offers look pretty much like what I'm offering here, vague, or am I missing something? If they are, I can add them to this post to have them pinned and everything in one place.
Aug 7, 2021 2:08 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Your offers look pretty much like what I'm offering here, vague, or am I missing something? If they are, I can add them to this post to have them pinned and everything in one place.
I am not sure. I have applied to your game so I can see what it offers.
I might be proposing something more long term, a slightly-living world that is always accepting and available for new players to drop into, supported by a band of players for them to play with. It might extend past being a 'tutorial' into indefinite play.
Aug 7, 2021 2:16 pm
Ah okay, yes, that's different then. I'd be up for helping you out with that in whatever way you need, as an "NPC player" or something.

Do you want to just look over what I have or try it out yourself like a new player? That'll make a difference in what parts I reveal to you
Aug 7, 2021 2:24 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Ah okay, yes, that's different then. I'd be up for helping you out with that in whatever way you need, as an "NPC player" or something.
That would be great. I am still putting together the pages for these games, and it will be a little while before anything happens, but if you want to apply to the ones that interest you, you are most welcome.
bowlofspinach says:
Do you want to just look over what I have or try it out yourself like a new player? That'll make a difference in what parts I reveal to you
Let's pretend I am new, go though that experience so I can know when best to suggest it to new players. Afterwards I would not mind seeing all the details.
Aug 8, 2021 9:27 am
Just to say I have played bowlofspinach's Tales from the Loop tutorial, and it is a great introduction to Gamersplane, introducing relevant functions and techniques gradually, as they are needed in the story.

Also worth mentioning that the tools learned in this tutorial are not specific to Tales from the Loop, and will be applicable to all games on this Play By Post platform. New players will have no trouble finding their way around the site and starting playing with confidence in other Gamersplane campaigns.

Highly recommended!
Last edited August 8, 2021 10:11 am
Aug 17, 2021 4:43 am
Hello everyone. New here I'm an ex D&D player that havent played for years and is longing for some fantastic adventure. I have no Idea how this place works si if you can direct me to an adventure I would be thankful.
Aug 17, 2021 4:52 am
Hey Peindora, welcome.
I definitely recommend running through bowlofspinach's game listed above in this thread.
You can click on the link and then on the Apply to Game button. She does a very good gentle introduction to how things work Playing by Post.

Tell us what sort of games you are looking to play, there are new ones starting up all the time and I am sure we can find you a place to toss your dice (if you like dice, that is).
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.