Your Introduction to Gamersplane and PBP

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 5, 2021 8:26 pm
Hey there!

Going from live RPG sessions around a table or even from never having played an RPG before to Play-by-Post can be confusing. I want to make this step as easy for as many people as possible so I have decided to offer quick "Tutorial" games to anyone who wants to try out whether this form of playing is for them or anyone who wants to get a first impression of both the hobby and this site!

In this "tutorial", you'll be able to play through a very quick adventure within just a handful of posts. I'll introduce how you can create a character sheet and submit it to a game, how rolling dice works and I'll give you some tips on making and formatting your posts.
Plus, I'll be there for any questions that might come up, both in this little exercise and in any other games you might join!

This is not a limited offer. Anyone who wants to try it will be able to play! Just apply to the game you're interested in by following the link in the table below and the game's GM will let you in and get you started. (Maybe also drop a post in this thread or send the GM a private message on their user page just in case they miss your application).
At this point, I offer only one system/adventure for my tutorials. I am planning to expand this to other games in the future. Once I do, these alternatives will be listed here as well. If other members decide to run Tutorials like this as well, I will also add links and descriptions for those here as well! I'm hoping to get to a point where new members have plenty of options for quick tutorial games in whatever system or setting sounds interesting to them!

Name Offered By System Description Content Warnings Links
The Werewolf of Svartsjölandet bowlofspinach Tales from the Loop In this game set in an alternative 1980s Sweden, full of strange technologies, robots and mysteries, you are just a regular kid. Christian, a local bully has dragged you out to a forest at nightfall and is forcing you to venture inside and investigate the rumors of a werewolf roaming around these woods. Will you discover the secret behind the werewolf and escape unharmed? Harm to children (no death) Click here
Aug 5, 2021 9:14 pm
I am always interested in teaching new players. I can offer many PbtA (Powered by the Apocalypse) games, including the simple WoDu (World of Dungeons) ones.

Since I am still fairly new to this site, I would not mind joining one of your quick games to make sure I keep to the same standard, and teach the techniques and tricks favored here.
Aug 6, 2021 5:02 am
Sure, just apply to the game and I'll run you through what I have!
Aug 6, 2021 10:56 am
Are you planing on running these one-on-one, whenever a new player show up?

I found, when doing this elsewhere, that new players are inconsiderate and don't show up in groups of appropriate size to make a game from (they should know better, the noobs:).
I found recruiting (a possibly rotating cast of) dedicated, experienced(ish) players to fill the game and support the newbies helped. They all understand it is a 'teaching new players' game and that we shelve it and reopen it as needed.
I have used this for both 'new to the site'/'new to PbP', and 'new to the game system' type games.
Aug 6, 2021 1:09 pm
It's a one on one game introductory game, so only one player at a time (or several running in parallel games).
Aug 6, 2021 1:23 pm
Ah, that can solve the timing issue. This is an excellent way quickly teach the fundamentals --of a game system or of the site.
That also explains the 'handful of posts' bit. :)

I have found that --outside of direct teaching-- new players can get overwhelmed in one-on-one games, they seem like a safe way to introduce people, but there are pitfalls. When they try to actually play, they have no one else to bounce ideas off of, no other player to model their actions after, and sometime feel they are in the spotlight all the time and have to perform.
I have also had new players worry about how things will work when other players are involved. How will they resolve disagreements (game rules don't answer that question).

Once i have a bit more practice with this site, I might think about offering a quick and easy game or two for new players to jump into when they arrive, having some experienced players on standby would help. Often we see someone new show up, say they are looking for a thing (normally 5e):, they don't find anything to join in the next few days and vanish. It can be daunting and disappointing to have to wait when one is exited about a new hobby.
Aug 6, 2021 3:52 pm
That's true, one on one doesn't perfectly translate into group games but I think as an introduction to PBP/GP, it's still valuable.
Aug 6, 2021 4:01 pm
I agree. If I hadn't been able to play in a one on one on another site a few years ago, I might never have played at all. Getting comfortable with the dice roller, the forum format (IC and OOC), and the relationship between a GM and the player, does a great job of arming you with the tools that make entry into a group game much less intimidating.
Aug 6, 2021 4:20 pm
Absolutely. A one-on-one tutorial is a very valuable offer. It benefits all games the player later plays in. Having someone willing to put in the personal time with new players is amazing.
We can additionally offer them a game to try afterwards. I will think about putting together something to complement this.
Aug 6, 2021 4:40 pm
Definitely, offering group games for beginners would be awesome as well. It's just harder to implement
Aug 7, 2021 4:44 am
I can also offer introductory games with pre-generated characters to ease people into the game. I can teach any version of D&D (except 4e because I hate creating 4e characters without computer aid), Villains & Vigilantes 2.1, Mighty Protectors (V&V 3.0), Alternity (old or new), Pathfinder 1e, Mutants & Masterminds 3e, or Savage Worlds (SWADE). Name your poison and I'll arrange a brief demo game for those who are interested.
Aug 7, 2021 6:42 am
The idea of this is more to have structured introductions where I (or others) can quickly run anyone who wants to through a prepared adventure that teaches the basics with not much effort for myself (It's all set up in a way where I could in theory even just hand over the forum to someone else and they could take over for me 😄)
Running introductory games on request is really awesome as well but might deserve its own post instead!
Aug 7, 2021 1:59 pm
bowlofspinach says:
... might deserve its own post instead!
Done :)
WhtKnt says:
I can also offer ...
Feel free to post about them in the Games for new players :) thread.
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Aug 7, 2021 2:02 pm
Your offers look pretty much like what I'm offering here, vague, or am I missing something? If they are, I can add them to this post to have them pinned and everything in one place.
Aug 7, 2021 2:08 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Your offers look pretty much like what I'm offering here, vague, or am I missing something? If they are, I can add them to this post to have them pinned and everything in one place.
I am not sure. I have applied to your game so I can see what it offers.
I might be proposing something more long term, a slightly-living world that is always accepting and available for new players to drop into, supported by a band of players for them to play with. It might extend past being a 'tutorial' into indefinite play.
Aug 7, 2021 2:16 pm
Ah okay, yes, that's different then. I'd be up for helping you out with that in whatever way you need, as an "NPC player" or something.

Do you want to just look over what I have or try it out yourself like a new player? That'll make a difference in what parts I reveal to you
Aug 7, 2021 2:24 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Ah okay, yes, that's different then. I'd be up for helping you out with that in whatever way you need, as an "NPC player" or something.
That would be great. I am still putting together the pages for these games, and it will be a little while before anything happens, but if you want to apply to the ones that interest you, you are most welcome.
bowlofspinach says:
Do you want to just look over what I have or try it out yourself like a new player? That'll make a difference in what parts I reveal to you
Let's pretend I am new, go though that experience so I can know when best to suggest it to new players. Afterwards I would not mind seeing all the details.
Aug 8, 2021 9:27 am
Just to say I have played bowlofspinach's Tales from the Loop tutorial, and it is a great introduction to Gamersplane, introducing relevant functions and techniques gradually, as they are needed in the story.

Also worth mentioning that the tools learned in this tutorial are not specific to Tales from the Loop, and will be applicable to all games on this Play By Post platform. New players will have no trouble finding their way around the site and starting playing with confidence in other Gamersplane campaigns.

Highly recommended!
Last edited August 8, 2021 10:11 am
Aug 17, 2021 4:43 am
Hello everyone. New here I'm an ex D&D player that havent played for years and is longing for some fantastic adventure. I have no Idea how this place works si if you can direct me to an adventure I would be thankful.
Aug 17, 2021 4:52 am
Hey Peindora, welcome.
I definitely recommend running through bowlofspinach's game listed above in this thread.
You can click on the link and then on the Apply to Game button. She does a very good gentle introduction to how things work Playing by Post.

Tell us what sort of games you are looking to play, there are new ones starting up all the time and I am sure we can find you a place to toss your dice (if you like dice, that is).
Aug 17, 2021 4:53 am
By the way. I meant to say this earlier.

I did the tutorial and can highly endorse it. It was fun as well as informative.
Aug 17, 2021 6:08 am
vagueGM says:
By the way. I meant to say this earlier.

I did the tutorial and can highly endorse it. It was fun as well as informative.
Me too! It’s also cool it not being DND as it shows the variety available on GP :)
Defenitly should go on the welcome post in CAPS and with big neon arrows
Last edited August 17, 2021 6:09 am
Aug 17, 2021 6:10 am
Peindora says:
Hello everyone. New here I'm an ex D&D player that havent played for years and is longing for some fantastic adventure. I have no Idea how this place works si if you can direct me to an adventure I would be thankful.
Hello Peindora! I invite you to join "Iskandar, City of Spires: A D&D 5e Learning Game"

It's specially designed for members who are new to D&D 5e or new to Gamers Plane or both. Hope to see you there! :-)
Oct 12, 2021 6:17 pm
Thanks for running this bowlofspinach! A fun little adventure and helped me better understand some of the functionality of the site.
And, makes me want to play more Tales from the Loop - I’ve always been a fan of this setting but never got the chance to play. Will definitely be looking for some opportunities!
Oct 12, 2021 6:20 pm
Glad you enjoyed it and found it helpful!

I'm sure I'm going to be running more actual games of Loop and Flood in the future as well so keep your eyes open :)
Dec 26, 2021 3:29 pm
I’m looking to play some systems, any will do as a GM who’s willing to be patient and teach is just what I’m looking for. It said to pop a post in this thread so here’s my post. Also hope everyone has a great rest of your day and week^^.
Dec 26, 2021 5:14 pm
Nemsis says:
I’m looking to play some systems ...
Do you have any 'systems' you are particularly wanting to play?

If you don't know system names, you can tell us what sorts of genres of books, movies, or TV you like, or just what sort or tone (serious, scary, dark, light, ...) you are into, and how 'heavy' you want the rules-systems to be.

We can then try to match you up with games that fit.
Dec 28, 2021 3:02 am
Welcome, Nemsis. Do you like gladiator movies? No, I'm kidding. And if any of you got that comment, then you're older than dirt. I remember first seeing that movie when I was 13. But what vagueGM said is true. We can't help you if we don't know your preferences. Do you prefer science-fiction, fantasy, superheroes, historical, funny animals...? Do you prefer a light-hearted tone, or something dark and truly scary? We can meet any need, just let us know.
Mar 30, 2022 4:13 pm
Hi! I'm (almost) always willing to run an intro game of any of the systems listed in my profile. Each is simple to learn, and each can support long term play.
Mar 30, 2022 4:25 pm
tibbius says:
I'm (almost) always willing to run an intro game of any of the systems listed in my profile.
That's excellent.

I find a big problem when on-boarding new players is putting together a full group to try out those games at the time when they are needed.

Give me a shout if you need an extra body to fill out the ranks and to give the new players some support(ive) PCs to play with.
Apr 10, 2022 9:10 pm
Putting in a plug for the same. If it is on my profile, I can and am (mostly) willing to run it if I get enough interest.
Apr 26, 2022 4:04 pm
Hey everyone, I have a small announcement to make.

At this point, I've run the tutorial around fifty times and as much as I enjoy helping new people find their way around the site and want to keep offering this, I'm starting to get burned out by it. It's starting to feel a bit more like a chore than a hobby so I just need a break from it. For this reason, I'm putting the tutorial on an indefinite pause.
I'll still wrap up the game for everyone who's already in it but I'm not accepting new players anymore.

Right now, I'm not sure what the future of the tutorial will be. I want to come back with something like it at some point in the future, but whether it will be just this again (updated to include some of the features introduced after I created it) or something new, I don't know yet.

I feel really bad about this, which is why I pushed this off for a while now but I know it's the right decision for me.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped me create and playtest this and to everyone who played in this and put their own little spin on this silly little adventure!
Apr 26, 2022 4:07 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I feel really bad about this
Don't feel bad, Bowl! You should be proudly basking in our standing ovation.

What you've achieved is truly epic and will forever be part of Gamers' Plane lore.
Apr 26, 2022 4:27 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Hey everyone, I have a small announcement to make.

At this point, I've run the tutorial around fifty times and as much as I enjoy helping new people find their way around the site and want to keep offering this, I'm starting to get burned out by it. It's starting to feel a bit more like a chore than a hobby so I just need a break from it. For this reason, I'm putting the tutorial on an indefinite pause.
I'll still wrap up the game for everyone who's already in it but I'm not accepting new players anymore.

Right now, I'm not sure what the future of the tutorial will be. I want to come back with something like it at some point in the future, but whether it will be just this again (updated to include some of the features introduced after I created it) or something new, I don't know yet.

I feel really bad about this, which is why I pushed this off for a while now but I know it's the right decision for me.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped me create and playtest this and to everyone who played in this and put their own little spin on this silly little adventure!
Don't feel bad, it's normal for stuff to feel redundant. Maybe you could take some time off, then gather up some observations after walking people through the game? There are bound to be some consistent issues that have arisen over time.
Apr 26, 2022 4:27 pm
I was impressed by how long you kept that up, bowl. Definitely don't feel bad about taking a break.

We were also sorta pushing the tutorial as a rite of passage, so there is a chance more than a few extra people who did not need to do it did it out of obligation. Saving it for people who need it, or having a gaggle of GMs who can take on players who need something like it might be the way to go.

The work you put into this is appreciated.
Apr 27, 2022 1:34 am
Echoing everyone else's sentiment, Bowl. I've never seen someone direct the kind of energy you have into onboarding new folks in such a personal and effective way. Freaking epic effort on your part, so feel proud as you step back! GP is a richer place for this intro game of yours.
Last edited April 27, 2022 7:53 pm
Apr 27, 2022 4:20 am
Heck yeah, I echo everyone's sentiment this far! Ty for doing what you've done and what you continue to do for our community :D
Apr 27, 2022 7:38 am
Kudos kiddo, you did well. Truly earned everyone's respect and standing ovation.
Apr 27, 2022 7:55 am
Yeah that was nothing short of heroic. Though many other members ran or are currently running tutorial games, no one else has been as committed as you. You should definitely take a break if it's starting to be a burden.

Shouldn't more of us carry this torch though? I've been meaning to follow one of bowl's tutorial games (they're public, right?) to maybe copy or adapt the GP-teaching framework but just never got around to it.
Apr 27, 2022 8:10 am
Adam says:
bowlofspinach says:
I feel really bad about this
Don't feel bad, Bowl! You should be proudly basking in our standing ovation.

What you've achieved is truly epic and will forever be part of Gamers' Plane lore.
here here!
You have done a fantastic job
Apr 27, 2022 8:16 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Shouldn't more of us carry this torch though?
Yeah. I have been thinking about it in the background since the 'retirement party', wondering what simple system to use, been considering Escape From Dyno Island, and a few others. Not everyone is into playing kids, so maybe we can offer a variety of games and GMs when people need them.
Apr 27, 2022 9:06 am
Antiproduct and I tried running one. It took three months to finish one instance (47 posts). Bowl makes it look easy.
Apr 27, 2022 9:21 am
Mine tend to devolve into full-on, long-term games. The discipline of keeping them short and to the point is challenging. :(
Apr 27, 2022 12:43 pm
Quote:
I've been meaning to follow one of bowl's tutorial games (they're public, right?) to maybe copy or adapt the GP-teaching framework but just never got around to it.
They're not public. I figured that not every newcomer might want their first attemp to be a spectacle for everyone to observe.
But I can invite you into the game and let you have a look at my notes and setup.
Quote:
Antiproduct and I tried running one. It took three months to finish one instance (47 posts). Bowl makes it look easy.
Mine was usually around 30-35 posts in length with some outliers in both directions.
Apr 27, 2022 1:03 pm
Quote:
They're not public. I figured that not every newcomer might want their first attemp to be a spectacle for everyone to observe.
Good point.
Quote:
But I can invite you into the game and let you have a look at my notes and setup
Yes, please!
Apr 27, 2022 1:06 pm
A big Thank You from me for running me through a session. I figured it must be tough to run it a number of times. Please don't feel bad about stepping back. That was a lot to put on your shoulders. You should be proud that you introduced 50÷ people to PbP.

Len

Apr 28, 2022 1:28 am
Yes, your introductory game wa a huge achievement, bowl! You did a lot of good for new members and the community as a whole.

Len

Apr 28, 2022 1:39 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Shouldn't more of us carry this torch though? I've been meaning to follow one of bowl's tutorial games (they're public, right?) to maybe copy or adapt the GP-teaching framework but just never got around to it.
Many hands make light work. What if, instead of one amazing GM like bowl, we had many okay GMs like me taking turns running a short game for 1-3 people. We could prepare the resources, both RPG maps, NPC images, stats, etc. as well as templates for safety tools and forums. We make that public to anyone who wants to run it.

I mentioned this framework on the discord, but it could be easily adapted or changed:
[ +- ] The Wealthy Merchant
People could run it in various systems, although this particular framework might be best for d20 fantasy systems. We could run two people at a time - might take longer for two new people to arrive but then you have the added benefit of meeting another user in a game.

It might also serve as a good first adventure for new GMs to run. If we had more GMs confident to run games, then we'd have more games!
Apr 28, 2022 1:53 am
Len says:
... might take longer for two new people to arrive ...
The problem comes when new players have to wait before they can start a Tutorial game and learn the ropes. I would try find a system that works well enough for one at a time, right when they arrive.

Either way, we might need to make it clear that this is not a requirement before joining 'real' games. :)

Len

Apr 28, 2022 2:38 am
vagueGM says:
The problem comes when new players have to wait before they can start a Tutorial game and learn the ropes. I would try find a system that works well enough for one at a time, right when they arrive.
If there was too long a delay, perhaps we could get a community member to jump in to ride shotgun alongside the new player. I don't think I've ever seen a D&D game that didn't have to turn players away. Although a 1 on 1 game has the advantage of immediacy, playing with a party has advantages too. Some people are coming to the site looking for that experience, and you get to know more people on the site. If you end up playing beside an experienced player, you can learn from watching them. The experienced player would need to make sure not to post too fast or take the spotlight, but could be instrumental in moving the game forward if it stalls or whatnot.
vagueGM says:
Either way, we might need to make it clear that this is not a requirement before joining 'real' games. :)
Yeah, these would be presented as opportunities available to new players.
Apr 28, 2022 2:51 am
Len says:
... too long a delay, perhaps we could get a community member to jump in to ride shotgun ...
Yes. That would be helpful. Having a group of helpful players already on hand to fill in as needed would be good.
Len says:
... playing with a party has advantages ...
It does sorta depend on what we are trying to teach. If it is mainly about using the site or PbP, then those advantages are diminished. If it is about learning what RPGs are, then they could be a distraction, especially at first.
Len says:
... moving the game forward if it stalls ...
I fear we might be falling into the trap I tend towards. These are not meant to be games that can continue. Once the player has learned what they need it should stall out.
Apr 28, 2022 2:53 am
Great minds. I was saying to Bowl that I'd probably set up a 1:1 (D&D5e) Tutorial framework this weekend. If a community grouping of GMs is willing to band together, then I'd join that.

Len

Apr 28, 2022 3:14 am
vagueGM says:

I fear we might be falling into the trap I tend towards. These are not meant to be games that can continue. Once the player has learned what they need it should stall out.
Absolutely. I've fallen into that trap too. I'd prefer if the game ended in a decisive and satisfying manner rather than stalling out though. A short and sweet adventure with a clear end that covers the basics of the game - make a plan, roll a skill, talk with an NPC, fight something.

We could create a list of goals for pbp / gp as well. Use the dice roller, learn about bbcode options, etc.
Qralloq says:
Great minds. I was saying to Bowl that I'd probably set up a 1:1 (D&D5e) Tutorial framework this weekend. If a community grouping of GMs is willing to band together, then I'd join that.
Awesome, let's gather others and talk more :)

Len

Apr 28, 2022 3:37 am
I made a game to discuss this project further, open to anyone who wants to talk more about and contribute to this project.

https://gamersplane.com/games/3549/
Apr 28, 2022 3:47 am
So, that is a DnD tutorial rather than a GP or PbP tutorial?

Len

Apr 28, 2022 4:01 am
If it's any good it'll be all three. The goal of this specific project would be to build a framework of an adventure that people could run in fantasy d20 system that would introduce people to playing on GP.
Apr 28, 2022 4:03 am
I know this is influenced by my biases (and it's also a case of praising myself), but I liked that the tutorial/introduction to the site was not D&D(-like). It's a nudge for people to consider a different system and setting.

Also, by running it in D&D, you have to deal with combat
Apr 28, 2022 4:10 am
bowlofspinach says:
... I liked that the tutorial/introduction to the site was not D&D(-like). It's a nudge for people to consider a different system and setting.
Agreed. There is already so much DnD out there.
bowlofspinach says:
... Also, by running it in D&D, you have to deal with combat
And the rather complicated character creation or selection, and all the little crazinesses that DnD brings along with it.

But mainly the 'don't assume RPG = DnD' part.

Len

Apr 28, 2022 5:15 am
bowlofspinach says:
I know this is influenced by my biases (and it's also a case of praising myself), but I liked that the tutorial/introduction to the site was not D&D(-like). It's a nudge for people to consider a different system and setting.
I get you. This D&D(-like) game doesn't have to be the official Gamers Plane introduction game. I'd love to see introductory games for new users in multiple systems run by many different people.
bowlofspinach says:
Also, by running it in D&D, you have to deal with combat
But on the plus side, you get to deal with combat! :D
Apr 28, 2022 7:23 am
On one hand, not every newcomer will want to play d20 fantasy. On the other hand tons of people want d20 fantasy, and some are looking for D&D5e specifically. Admittedly, some of the latter just aren't aware there's even a choice.

I propose the framework be used to spawn 2 or more variants to cater to some of these broad categories.

In the end though, it's just an intro game. The intent always has been and always will be "There's a whole world of gaming out there (but you're no less of a gamer if you want to stick to one niche)."
Len says:
I made a game to discuss this project further, open to anyone who wants to talk more about and contribute to this project.

https://gamersplane.com/games/3549/
I'd love to contribute! The game's full though.
vagueGM says:
And the rather complicated (D&D) character creation...
Pregens, man. Unless the newbie actually wants to learn chargen.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.