Your Introduction to Gamersplane and PBP

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Aug 17, 2021 4:53 am
By the way. I meant to say this earlier.

I did the tutorial and can highly endorse it. It was fun as well as informative.
Aug 17, 2021 6:08 am
vagueGM says:
By the way. I meant to say this earlier.

I did the tutorial and can highly endorse it. It was fun as well as informative.
Me too! It’s also cool it not being DND as it shows the variety available on GP :)
Defenitly should go on the welcome post in CAPS and with big neon arrows
Last edited August 17, 2021 6:09 am
Aug 17, 2021 6:10 am
Peindora says:
Hello everyone. New here I'm an ex D&D player that havent played for years and is longing for some fantastic adventure. I have no Idea how this place works si if you can direct me to an adventure I would be thankful.
Hello Peindora! I invite you to join "Iskandar, City of Spires: A D&D 5e Learning Game"

It's specially designed for members who are new to D&D 5e or new to Gamers Plane or both. Hope to see you there! :-)
Oct 12, 2021 6:17 pm
Thanks for running this bowlofspinach! A fun little adventure and helped me better understand some of the functionality of the site.
And, makes me want to play more Tales from the Loop - I’ve always been a fan of this setting but never got the chance to play. Will definitely be looking for some opportunities!
Oct 12, 2021 6:20 pm
Glad you enjoyed it and found it helpful!

I'm sure I'm going to be running more actual games of Loop and Flood in the future as well so keep your eyes open :)
Dec 26, 2021 3:29 pm
I’m looking to play some systems, any will do as a GM who’s willing to be patient and teach is just what I’m looking for. It said to pop a post in this thread so here’s my post. Also hope everyone has a great rest of your day and week^^.
Dec 26, 2021 5:14 pm
Nemsis says:
I’m looking to play some systems ...
Do you have any 'systems' you are particularly wanting to play?

If you don't know system names, you can tell us what sorts of genres of books, movies, or TV you like, or just what sort or tone (serious, scary, dark, light, ...) you are into, and how 'heavy' you want the rules-systems to be.

We can then try to match you up with games that fit.
Dec 28, 2021 3:02 am
Welcome, Nemsis. Do you like gladiator movies? No, I'm kidding. And if any of you got that comment, then you're older than dirt. I remember first seeing that movie when I was 13. But what vagueGM said is true. We can't help you if we don't know your preferences. Do you prefer science-fiction, fantasy, superheroes, historical, funny animals...? Do you prefer a light-hearted tone, or something dark and truly scary? We can meet any need, just let us know.
Mar 30, 2022 4:13 pm
Hi! I'm (almost) always willing to run an intro game of any of the systems listed in my profile. Each is simple to learn, and each can support long term play.
Mar 30, 2022 4:25 pm
tibbius says:
I'm (almost) always willing to run an intro game of any of the systems listed in my profile.
That's excellent.

I find a big problem when on-boarding new players is putting together a full group to try out those games at the time when they are needed.

Give me a shout if you need an extra body to fill out the ranks and to give the new players some support(ive) PCs to play with.
Apr 10, 2022 9:10 pm
Putting in a plug for the same. If it is on my profile, I can and am (mostly) willing to run it if I get enough interest.
Apr 26, 2022 4:04 pm
Hey everyone, I have a small announcement to make.

At this point, I've run the tutorial around fifty times and as much as I enjoy helping new people find their way around the site and want to keep offering this, I'm starting to get burned out by it. It's starting to feel a bit more like a chore than a hobby so I just need a break from it. For this reason, I'm putting the tutorial on an indefinite pause.
I'll still wrap up the game for everyone who's already in it but I'm not accepting new players anymore.

Right now, I'm not sure what the future of the tutorial will be. I want to come back with something like it at some point in the future, but whether it will be just this again (updated to include some of the features introduced after I created it) or something new, I don't know yet.

I feel really bad about this, which is why I pushed this off for a while now but I know it's the right decision for me.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped me create and playtest this and to everyone who played in this and put their own little spin on this silly little adventure!
Apr 26, 2022 4:07 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I feel really bad about this
Don't feel bad, Bowl! You should be proudly basking in our standing ovation.

What you've achieved is truly epic and will forever be part of Gamers' Plane lore.
Apr 26, 2022 4:27 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Hey everyone, I have a small announcement to make.

At this point, I've run the tutorial around fifty times and as much as I enjoy helping new people find their way around the site and want to keep offering this, I'm starting to get burned out by it. It's starting to feel a bit more like a chore than a hobby so I just need a break from it. For this reason, I'm putting the tutorial on an indefinite pause.
I'll still wrap up the game for everyone who's already in it but I'm not accepting new players anymore.

Right now, I'm not sure what the future of the tutorial will be. I want to come back with something like it at some point in the future, but whether it will be just this again (updated to include some of the features introduced after I created it) or something new, I don't know yet.

I feel really bad about this, which is why I pushed this off for a while now but I know it's the right decision for me.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped me create and playtest this and to everyone who played in this and put their own little spin on this silly little adventure!
Don't feel bad, it's normal for stuff to feel redundant. Maybe you could take some time off, then gather up some observations after walking people through the game? There are bound to be some consistent issues that have arisen over time.
Apr 26, 2022 4:27 pm
I was impressed by how long you kept that up, bowl. Definitely don't feel bad about taking a break.

We were also sorta pushing the tutorial as a rite of passage, so there is a chance more than a few extra people who did not need to do it did it out of obligation. Saving it for people who need it, or having a gaggle of GMs who can take on players who need something like it might be the way to go.

The work you put into this is appreciated.
Apr 27, 2022 1:34 am
Echoing everyone else's sentiment, Bowl. I've never seen someone direct the kind of energy you have into onboarding new folks in such a personal and effective way. Freaking epic effort on your part, so feel proud as you step back! GP is a richer place for this intro game of yours.
Last edited April 27, 2022 7:53 pm
Apr 27, 2022 4:20 am
Heck yeah, I echo everyone's sentiment this far! Ty for doing what you've done and what you continue to do for our community :D
Apr 27, 2022 7:38 am
Kudos kiddo, you did well. Truly earned everyone's respect and standing ovation.
Apr 27, 2022 7:55 am
Yeah that was nothing short of heroic. Though many other members ran or are currently running tutorial games, no one else has been as committed as you. You should definitely take a break if it's starting to be a burden.

Shouldn't more of us carry this torch though? I've been meaning to follow one of bowl's tutorial games (they're public, right?) to maybe copy or adapt the GP-teaching framework but just never got around to it.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.