Chapter 3 - HQ Interlude

load previous
Jun 1, 2016 6:26 pm
In Phina's workshop:

Nix's eyes go wide as she accepts Phina's gift. "These are AWESOME! Thank you!" She certainly wasn't expecting anything in return for her simple offering of tin foil. She puts the Cortex Bombs gingerly in her little pack. "You know, I've been with the Daggers for some time but I've never really had a friend here. And it gets pretty lonely out in the field. I'm really glad we met today! I just wish I wasn't leaving so soon. I would've loved to learn more about all this!" Nix says, sweeping her hand around Phina's workshop.
Jun 1, 2016 6:30 pm
Nix

Well you come back anytime, friend, she says with a twinkle in her eye. It's not often I get to hear about the adventures the field agents go on. I'd love to hear anything of life out there. That is where I really want to be! her eyes twinkle a little more the more she talks about the adventuring life.
Jun 1, 2016 6:48 pm
"...It was fascinating work, truly. But one day, while meditating I had an epiphany of sorts and decided it was the right time to explore some of the places I had only read about, and garner some first-hand experience. Expand my horizons, if you will. I've done so much in so short a time. It was quite exhilarating! In addition, I've met such interesting individuals! I'm sure this is par for the course for members of the Daggers, but it is new to me and I wonder now how many ways my life would have been different had I not journeyed to that tavern." I nod vigorously before looking around the dining hall. "Where has everyone gone? Oh dear, I've lost track of my traveling companions already!"
Jun 1, 2016 6:55 pm
Xadira

Xalph is hanging on every single word as you speak at a rate most people would be lost at. He seems to keep pace without even the slightest effort. The only reason he cuts off your tirade of talk is to spout intelligent and witty responses. His face is aglow with the discussion of your history and The Dagger's themselves.

As you break conversation and mention the emptiness of the hall he looks around too. Oh, dear, it seems I've lost all track of time, he says, more happy than annoyed by the fact. He pulls out a small pocket watch, obviously intricate gnome construction. He flips it open and looks at it, slightly frowning at the results he sees. Alas, Xadira Liadon, I must tend to some duties before I retire for the evening, he says with a sadness in his voice. I...do...Do you think, if you come back to HQ we could do this again? I've never had such a wonderful time with such a wisened and lovely, he blushes, scholar before. I would love to show you around all of the lore contained here, if you would so allow. He awaits your answer, turning slightly red again.
Jun 1, 2016 7:02 pm
"I bet you would make a great field agent! Maybe someday we'll get to go on a mission together!" Nix lights up at the thought, then sobers somewhat when she realizes how late in the evening it must already be. She gets up to leave. "Listen... Phina... if we're gonna be friends... there's something you need to know about me... I hope it won't scare you off " Nix hesitates a bit before sending telepathically, "I can do this, and...other stuff too...stuff that'll mess with people's minds." Nix peers closely at Phina, waiting for her reaction, hoping her new friend will take this revelation well.
Last edited June 1, 2016 7:04 pm
Jun 1, 2016 7:06 pm
Nix

It's hard to judge her reaction. She flicks her head around the room quickly looking for the voice she hears. She looks at you with a slack jawed face for a few moments. Just as you think she is about to scream in horror she does indeed scream. Oh. My. GODS! THAT IS SO COOL! How do you do that!? Do it again, do it again. Can I send things back?, she rambles out before she scrunches up her face trying to send a message back.
OOC:
Quick question out of character, can you actually hear the thoughts other people try to send?
Jun 1, 2016 7:13 pm
"Yes, you can send things back! Try it!" Nix and Phina trade thoughts back and forth, but then Nix's face grows dark. She says out loud, "I can do other stuff with my mind. Like force people to tell me things they don't want to. Or make them believe things, or hurt their minds. It's not all fun."

Quote:

Mind Meld (psionic talent)
As a bonus action, you can communicate telepathically with one creature you can see within 120 feet of you. You don’t need to share a language with a creature for it to understand your telepathic utterances, and the creature understands you even if it lacks a language. You can allow a creature to respond to you telepathically, but it must understand at least one language in order to communicate this way. This ability to communicate lasts until the start of your next turn. You can’t communicate with an unwilling creature.

Last edited June 1, 2016 7:14 pm
Jun 1, 2016 7:16 pm
Nix

Phina's expression does turn a bit and she manages to send her first thought to you. I...I trust that you won't do that to me. Friends don't do that., she says as she crosses over to you, a smile returning to her face, and gives you a genuine hug. Unsure if intentional or not the word floats through the link again. Friend.
Jun 1, 2016 7:29 pm
"Of course! It seems you don't get many scholars here at all. I would enjoy learning whatever you are willing to share. After all, you can never learn too much!" I laugh and shake my head at such a ridiculous notion. "Good evening to you, Xalph." I collect the books that are currently open on the dining room table and pile them into my backpack. I won't be getting much sleep tonight!
Jun 1, 2016 7:36 pm
Xadira

Xalph watches you go for a bit and sighs contentedly. Such beauty, and knowledge. Has there ever been a more perfect woman, he says lightly to himself in elvish. He seems to float dreamily back to his duties at the main hall. All of the other keepers of lore note that they have not seen him smile so much in all of their time here.

After you have poured through the books you pour through them again and again. The knowledge sinking into your brain. Your fey ancestry leaves you no true need to sleep. With only a few hours trance time you will be ready to go again in no time.
OOC:
Are there any other activities Xadira would like to do before morning?
Jun 1, 2016 7:54 pm
To cap off my entirely enjoyable day, I indulge in a luxurious bath. Well, what most would call luxurious. For me it's just another bath in my favorite Elvish salts and Niphredil petals. What could be more perfect?
Jun 1, 2016 7:57 pm
Xadira

Absolutely nothing, the bath does wonders where a prestidigitation spell does not. You start the day incredibly relaxed and clean feeling.
OOC:
In fact you will have +2 to your charisma modifier for the day.
Jun 2, 2016 4:18 am
The next morning, approximately one hour after dawn I head down to the dining hall for breakfast. Somehow in all the excitement of the previous day, I managed to miss most of my meals! I am famished! Even so, I would not have changed a single thing. I greet anyone and everyone I see with a smile and a "Hello! A lovely day to you!"
Jun 2, 2016 5:05 am
The night before:

"No way, I'd NEVER hurt a friend! And we ARE friends. To be honest I don't even particularly enjoy hurting the bad guys." Nix turns thoughtful for a moment, but then snaps out of it and is her chipper self again. "Well, I better get going. Early start tomorrow. It was really swell meeting you, Phina. Thanks!" Nix gives her new friend a hug and heads out into the hall to find her bunk. Once there, she puts her things away and lies in bed staring at the ceiling. It occurs to her that while she's made a new friend and added one person to the small circle that knows what she's capable of, none in that circle will be among those she's working with in the morning. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? With those thoughts she drifts off to sleep and dreams of marzipan unicorns and pork pies.

In the morning:

Nix jumps out of bed bright and early and heads for the baths. As expected there are pools of different sizes, some filled with cold water and some with steam rising from them. Nix finds it curious, because she sees no attendants refilling the tubs and yet the water appears clean. Are the tubs filling themselves? Even more curious, protruding from one wall is a row of tubes from which water issues when a knob is turned. Nix fiddles with one of these wondrous tubes and is delighted to find it can be caused to spew hot water or cold! She recalls Phina's water heating box with hoses sticking out of it. Could the clever tinker be behind these as well? Nix spends a good half hour under the water showers until she has scrubbed herself quite clean, then goes back to her room to dress. She then heads for the dining hall for breakfast, where she falls upon the various offerings even more ravenously than the night before. Her mouth is stuffed with bacon and eggs when Xadira walks in. "Good morning!" Nix calls to her.
Last edited June 2, 2016 6:02 pm
Jun 2, 2016 8:40 pm
Xadira and Nix are the first to arrive to the dining hall from the group but it is already bustling with field agents readying for missions, some enjoying their R&R, and the various staff members here at HQ. The two even see Green, the gnome who watches the main door and always seems to have his face deep in a large dusty tome whenever they see him. He again has a large book propped up next to him as he eats. He only takes his gaze away from the book to make sure he doesn't miss his mouth with the food.

A nervous looking human, bustles here and there among the hall looking for someone or something. Upon spotting Nix and Xadira in turn he perks up and scuttles over to where you sit. Uh. Hello, Samuel requests your presence in his office in two hours time and no later, he says with an urgency before he nods for some inexplicable reason and scuttles off towards the rooms for the rest of the adventuring party.

Once there he knocks politely on the doors in turn to wake each member up and inform them of the same message. Samuel has requested your presence in his office in two hours time and no later.
Jun 2, 2016 8:47 pm
Aelar wakes up next to Talia and spends a long while watching her sleep. Once she finally wakes he sneaks her out of the compound before showing up to breakfast, "Sorry I'm late, ended up sleeping in a bit I guess," he says with a smile.
Jun 2, 2016 8:50 pm
After some time the nervous looking human comes scuttling up to Aelar after he shows up to breakfast. Ah, Master Galanodel, I missed you this morning when you were leaving with your lady friend. Samuel requests your pressence in his office in two hours, and no longer.

He breathes a sigh of relief that he managed to find everyone he was supposed to and scuttles off to find his own food.
Jun 2, 2016 8:51 pm
"Nixquilnamitzontecon! Good to see you again." I head over to her table, sitting across from her. I have a small platter of fruit and vegetables, as well as a mug of steaming tea. "Forgive me for being so rude yesterday. I simply had to visit the library. The books, they called to me you see! However, I am glad that we have a chance now to get to know one another before we head out on another dangerous assignment. Did I overhear correctly- had someone called you a mystic yesterday? Is that your profession?" Taking a breath, the human chooses this moment to interrupt with news of the meeting in 2 hours' time. When he leaves, I return my attention to Nix. "Oh dear, I wonder if there is news of some sort. Well, I suppose we'll find out soon enough."
Jun 2, 2016 8:58 pm
"Yeah, we didn't really have a chance to get properly introduced. I am Aelar Galanodel, bard extraordinaire," he introduces himself with a bow and a chuckle, "I'm also curious as to the term 'Mystic'. What does that mean exactly?" Aelar has some idea from stories he's heard, but wants to make sure his guess is correct.
Jun 2, 2016 8:59 pm
Firn rubs his face with his hands, forgoing the need for a wash basin. He dresses quickly and gathers his equipment in practiced form, but doesn't bother to brush his hair as he heads out the door for the dining hall.

In silence, Firn gathers a few fruits on a plate (an apple clamped firmly between his teeth) with bread and some cheese. He spies some of the others that he was assigned to help, and decides now is as good a time as any to make their acquaintance. The water genasi sets his plate down on the table and tips his head in a nod before taking a seat. He bites off a chunk of apple, grabs the fruit with his hand, and mumbles with mouth full, "Mornin'."
load next

Thread locked