Chapter 3 - HQ Interlude

load previous
Jun 21, 2016 4:01 pm
Firn seems satisfied with how he's arranged the garment over his equipment... for all of five seconds. Another round of recalibrations are made.
Jun 21, 2016 4:34 pm
Aelar will look into purchasing some better armor, a suit of studded leather (or something magical, if it's available)
Jun 21, 2016 4:50 pm
Aelar
As you enter the shop just off the main hall you hear a small bell jingle and look up to see a small bell floating up near the top of the door. It seems to hang in the air, suspended by nothing. As you step in the bell pushes the door back to closed and then floats a few inches away from it.

Ah, a customer, a female voice comes from the near the back of the shop. The light is dim in here, only a few candles seem to light the entire shop. They give an ambient light, but you can't quite see the figure that makes the sound. You hear some feet shuffle across the stone floor and soon see a shape emerge. An old woman in a fine fur with ornate earrings sniffs the air as she nears. Her eyes are glazed white. Ah, a young one. Handsome too I bet, she says with a cackle.

Welcome to my shop, I am Esmerelda, what can I help you find?, she asks as she seems to glide closer to you and wraps her thin frail arms around yours. You feel her squeeze your arm a bit and she smiles. You get the idea she can't see, yet she moves with a grace around the shop which is packed to the rafters with items.
OOC:
Seriously you guys, I got NPCs for days.
Jun 21, 2016 4:53 pm
I go in search of another fancy robe to add to my collection. Perhaps one in green, or blue?
OOC:
Time for a shopping montage!
Last edited June 21, 2016 4:55 pm
Jun 21, 2016 6:05 pm
Xadira

You inquire around and find that the Dagger's actually have a seamster in the merchants hall, the way Aelar had gone off to. You find the shop and enter. It's a well lit and lavishly decorated space with tall ornate full length mirrors arranged around a staging area for altercations. There is a very well-dressed high-elf here. He has a well tailored vest over pinstriped purple shirt and pants that seem the perfect shade of green to compliment both the vest and the shirt.

As you enter he looks to you, gives you a smile and nods, then goes back to finishing with his current customer. You look and see a familiar face. Xalph is the customer and he accepts a wrapped parcel from the high-elf. He turns and nearly bumps into you, turning a bright shade of red almost immediately. Oh, Xadira, I uh... was just coming to find you. I uh..., he stammers out. He fiddles with the parcel in his hand which is wrapped with a decorative linen and tied with a brilliant blue ribbon.

I remembered you were leaving today so I uh... I..., he says searching for words. He sucks in a deep breath and finally spits it out, I wanted to give you this, for the road. I thought someone as lovely and fashionable as you would love such a thing, he says quickly as he shoves the parcel into your arms awkwardly.

Upon opening it you see an ornately decorated robe. However the robe itself is an ungainly color of orange that you are entirely certain would clash with just about anything and everything else you own. The best description of the color is a Burnt Mud color. You can easily tell just by eyeing the garment that it will be about a size too small as well. You would end up looking like you were poured into this thing.

He eyes you expectantly as you look over this trainwreck of an outfit. A smile is wide across his face.
Jun 21, 2016 6:30 pm
Aelar grins at the compliment, "Yes, I am actually quite handsome, thank you! I'm just in need of some better armor, these rags have seen better days,"
Jun 21, 2016 7:39 pm
Ah, armor for such a strapping young lad as yourself. Not to worry, not to worry. Right this way, deary, she says as she weaves her way through the store. Even with the grace you have you are unsure how she manages to move so swiftly through such a small crowded store. Soon you find yourself looking at a small shelf and wall display showing a very ornately decorated piece of studded leather armor. It is rimmed with a few nice looking stitches and embedded gems along the collar line.

Here is an armor worthy of an adventurer such as yourself. A mere 150 gold and it is yours, You can also see more worn and used looking studded leather hidden below in stacks. You are pretty sure you could get the same protection with less flare for a better price.
OOC:
Would you like the fancy stuff for 150 GP, or the standard plain stuff for 45 GP?
Jun 21, 2016 7:46 pm
Aelar's eyes light up on seeing the beautiful armor before him, "You've got yourself a deal!" he says. Being a performer, he wants to look as presentable as possible when he can.
OOC:
Going fancy!
Last edited June 21, 2016 7:46 pm
Jun 21, 2016 7:52 pm
Aye, a man of good taste to boot, she throws back her head in a cordial laugh as she runs her hand along your chest. She swiftly removes the armor from the wall display and hands it to you. Tell me, lovely, is there anything else I can get you into today?, she adds with a grin and a wink. You are entirely sure she is blind yet she seems to look right at you when she winks.
OOC:
Want to buy anything else? Or are you looking for anything else in particular?
Jun 21, 2016 8:04 pm
Aelar looks around to make sure no one else is around, then leans in to whisper, "I could use a ring... Perhaps one enchanted for protection in some way. Either way, it must be beautiful, fit for a princess!"
Jun 21, 2016 8:56 pm
"Hello! How very nice to see you again! I...oh, why thank you!" At his insistence, I take the parcel and look it over, both baffled and speechless as I hold it up to myself. "Are you sure this is meant for me?" This is... an unusual custom. I've never seen such a color in garment form! Am I now meant to buy him a garment in exchange? As these and several other thoughts are being processed at once, I attempt to discern meaning in the type and style of the filigree outlining the seams of the robe.

Rolls

(Art) History? - (1d20+8)

(18) + 8 = 26

Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Xadira
As well versed as anyone in such robes you notice something in the ornate stitching. This style is rather expensive to purchase. The detailing is incredibly fine, it's almost a shame that such a miserably color befalls such beautiful work. This was clearly crafted by a rather talented elven seamstress. You are sure this could be upwards of 300-400GP at minimum to purchase.

The other thing that strikes you is that you've read some on the custom of gift exchanging between men and women. Despite your experience with it in the past you get the sensation that this gift is being given to you in some form of courting ritual. No doubt he has purchased an item he would consider flashy or expensive and presented it much as birds display flashy and colorful feather patterns to attract a mate as well. Though he seems to have no real concept of what colors are good ones.

So, he says, drawing the word out a bit, do you like it? He watches you expectantly. Though you may be unaware of what the customary rebuttal to this gesture could be. From your past reading on these types of exchanges they often mention things of dowries, exchanges of sheep, asking of a father for a hand in marriage. The history is all over the board on this exchange. Who knows what he wants in return.
Jun 21, 2016 9:15 pm
Aelar
Esmerelda leans back in mock surprise. Oh, but brave sir, we've only just met, she says and tosses her head back in another bout of jovial laughter. Come, come this way, she says and leads you to another corner of the shop that sparkles of small mundane rings. Most of them look like standard bronze or copper bands. Very cheap material. The ones with gems are rather unimpressive for the most part.

Don't mind this drivel, she says as she moves behind the display area and unlocks a small cabinet, that stuff is for peasants. Not an adventurer so straping as yourself, no doubt your lady is the only gem that will outshine any ring. She pulls out a small pad with only 3 rings on it. These are the real deal. One sparkles with a brilliant large diamond. The second is a deep red solid ruby, the last is a solid piece of milky green jade. The ornamental detailing on these is incredible.

Around the band of the red ring you see decorative roses that twist around each other for the length of the band. The diamond ring has a series of 's' curls that interlock to form the band. The jade ring is a band of solid gold that is ringed in runes for peace and prosperity.

These. These are the rings fit for a princess, she says. The color of the rings sparkle in her blank white eyes. For a moment it looks as though she has eyes of brilliant green and red. A pittance for royalty at 2500 gold each.
Jun 21, 2016 9:21 pm
Aelar makes a show of looking the rings over for a while, before speaking, "I'll give you 1,800 for the diamond ring," he says, hoping that it's enough, since it's all he has.
Jun 21, 2016 9:31 pm
Esmeralda thinks this offer over for a moment. I'm sorry, she says after a good long pause, These rings are one of a kind. Their craftsmanship is that fit for a king or queen. I could let them go for no less than 2000. I'm sorry, deary.

At that moment you hear a voice behind you...
Jun 21, 2016 9:35 pm
You really do plan to make an honest lady out of her, don't you, Eagin asks as he crossed to where you stand. He looks down at the diamond ring and back up to you. He draws a small pouch of gold from his belt and hands it to you. I think this will be more than enough, but you must promise to care for her. If you don't, then remember I am the best dagger thrower you know.

He smiles at you, claps you on the back of the leg, since he can't reach your shoulder, and he turns and walks out from the store.
OOC:
There is 800 gold in the pouch after you open it.
Jun 21, 2016 9:38 pm
Aelar smiles at his mentor, "I do, as a matter of fact, and I promise I'll pay you back double for this!" He waves away the 'threat' as idle. With his plans, he won't ever have to test it.
Jun 21, 2016 9:38 pm
"This should be enough, right?" he says, handing over 2,000 gold
Last edited June 21, 2016 9:39 pm
Jun 21, 2016 9:43 pm
Indeed, a ring fit for a princess, she says, still watching the door where Eagin left.

The only thing as strong as love is family, it must be good to know you have both in abundance, she says as she puts the other rings away. She gives you a small box for the ring.

Anything else for you, brave adventurer?, she asks with a smile.
Jun 21, 2016 9:45 pm
Happy with her purchase of splint mail armor earlier in the day and still eager to put her new blade to the test Ütés simply wanders about the outside of the shops as others go about the business.
load next

Thread locked