3. The voyage

Sep 7, 2021 5:15 pm
Given the information, Takeshi coordinates with First Mate Turner to devise a route. The proposed course would venture through the Amonkhet, along the erratic flow if it appears or via Zendikar, and drive them straight to Realm and Waterdeep.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/677156577731674117/884845265364877322/unknown.png
Sep 8, 2021 2:59 am
"Ah, not so far at all. What is an Amonkhet?"
OOC:
Were we going to return the dwarf lord's remains and effects to the citadel before we left? Or keep them?
Sep 8, 2021 4:56 am
Turner nods her head in agreement the most direct path lies in reversing the most likely course that stranded them at their current position. However, retracing your steps rarely leads you on the same voyage so further studies of the markings left her questioning the viability of such a straight shot.

Adjusting her spectacles, Turner called everyone to the desk with the map rolled out on the surface. Please, all, look closely at the markings of this map. Do you see arrows that might represent currents allowing one to "flow" through space? Here, here and here. Every path is marked with only one direction. If that is the case it makes sense how we arrived at our current destination by following the dotted path and then the current from Amonkhet to Faerie. I am no sailor by trade, but what I suspect is true, then we will have to navigate a different path.

On most maps, the large circles would represent cities but after seeing the dwarf's original map showing a grouping of planets, I don't think the name refers to a singularity but a region.

But there is no reason to guess about the map if we decide the dwarves are trustworthy. We can simply ask for an explanation of the markings. Surely the return of the crab market will cause the tongue of the leader to loosen. Vanessa, you know them. Would inviting them for a celebratory dinner of crab with us asking for a few clarifications get us what we want?

And we need to decide if we are going to bring up the item in the hold. But maybe AFTER we ask about the markings on the map.
Last edited September 8, 2021 5:01 am
Sep 8, 2021 6:25 am
OOC:
I'll just drop the map ledger for you to see. One arrow means the primary direction
Sep 8, 2021 5:08 pm
OOC:
Yeah, if a single arrow meant you cannot reverse down that course, then Faerie has no exit point and we are in a sinkhole. However, zooming into the map reveals that sailing against the current changes the transit time. Amonhket to Faerie is 9 days; Faerie to Amonkhet is 15 days.
Takeshi redirected Turner's attention to the legend by pointing with a stylus. He then traced the sigils below and above the transit routes toward their home realm. "These flows with a single arrow point the current, but do not prohibit travel in the other direction. We shall have to spend nearly double the time reversing course. The Amonkhet trail was 9 days for our captors, but shall cost us 15 without conflict or impediment."

"I do not think these stole from the Citadel, given our ship's acceptance at the fortress without quarry or inspection. This dwarf likely is not their kin."
Last edited September 8, 2021 5:11 pm
Sep 8, 2021 6:38 pm
Takeshi can tell that Akio is clearly bothered by the number of dwarven warriors all over the keep. Warriors that only Akio can see.
Sep 8, 2021 11:31 pm
Vanessa is making an exceptional effort to comprehend the map. It's clearly marked, with a compass and key for easy understanding. Good thing there are other more intelligently inclined individuals in the crew, for all the assistance the map can offer Vanessa might as well be blindfolded. Wait, where are we going?

The talk of planning a celebration however? Vanessa's attention is drawn. "Unless you've begrudged them something awful it would be remiss for dwarves to turn down a reason for celebration. I can coordinate with the dwarvern brewmasters to ensure a delectable yet hefty selection of ales and wines -for those so inclined- are readily available." Already she is concocting the hypothetical arrangements for this party, her thoughts briefly stopped by that last bits of discussion to remind her she is completely unaware of their situation.

"Is there...something in the hold? Something which has the potential to escalate the situation?"
Sep 9, 2021 6:30 am
runekyndig sent a note to somebox
Sep 9, 2021 12:51 pm
"Just some relics we found stowed," Takeshi responded dispassionately. "It would be best to leave soon. We have our orientation from Castellan Pelk, and our business with the dwarves has concluded."
Sep 9, 2021 3:54 pm
OOC:
The player is at odds with the character. Turner is suppose to want to go home as fast as possible but I want to see what's at some of these points.

One shared meal, Takeshi? I know we all long for home but the ritual involved in sharing hospitality tends to bind others as friends more than only trading partners. I for one would not mind leaving a trail of friendly faces behind but will bow to your wishes. We need to take heed to Master Pelk's warning to subsidize our diet with more than magically created fare but with a generous portion of crab currently in the hold and the coordinates of our destination, we are ready to set sail.
Sep 9, 2021 4:10 pm
Vanessa decides the best response to this non answer is silence. Her desire to party will live on, especially if it means more of the intrigue she's only gotten a taste for.

Her strategy changes: eyes looking over the others for any votes in agreement of one plan. She will make an attempt to entice them. "If you're after historical figures it should be of note they've a great mausoleum within their compound. Many important individuals now rest there."
OOC:
I am fine either way between staying or leaving.
Sep 9, 2021 5:05 pm
The elf's brow furrowed as he studied Turner in the ship's map room. He held his tone even and replied. "Our Orders understand the depth of ritual and hospitality, as well as the necessities of alliances. You are the ones proffering the offer of a feast, so we are not denying the dwarves' invitation. Further, the dwarves operate a military station, with their troop strength cloaked in invisibility throughout the halls we traversed. I am uncertain their motives in concealing their host from their guests, but I would not wish to linger to sift their motives. Let's leave the dwarves to their secrets. Perhaps we shall come again to tour their mausoleum on another venture."
Sep 9, 2021 6:07 pm
Deception is always troubling. In of itself it is not an indictment but you are right to be cautious. If you think it necessary perhaps we could try our own hand at misleading the dwarves. A question or two regarding Morag could draw their eyes in a direction we do not intend to traverse if they do indeed come looking.

In addition, after we pull out of port, I shall take up my station near our... defenses until we have put some distance between us.
Sep 10, 2021 2:27 am
Khezzik makes a strangled squawk at the mention of invisible dwarven warriors, and does his best to hide behind Vanessa.

"This one does not want to feast with bloodthirsty dwarfs. Just leave quietly."
Sep 10, 2021 5:59 am
OOC:
You depart the citadel?
Sep 10, 2021 1:38 pm
OOC:
Yes
Sep 11, 2021 2:20 am
As much as I'd like to stay longer and learn more about the citadel, I have to admit I'm feeling a little bit home sick... I don't need reminding you that our... departure... wasn't very voluntary...
Sep 11, 2021 7:01 am
You have a good portion of crab meat in your cargo hold and you set course for the edge of the crystal sphere. Using the Portal Magic spell Takeshi found he can detect two portals in this massive sphere you are in. From the map, you know that there are two flows connecting to this sphere.
You travel for days to arrive at one of these portals.

The spell is cast and a portal opens in the crystal wall. You are struck by a fierce headwind of some gas-like substance that has a very sharp taste to it. Try as you might you can't get your ship through the portal fast enough and you abandon the attempt.

This portal was the one-way flow.

You set a course for the other portal.
OOC:
And here I will give you a chance for some RP'ing. You have traveled 13 days to get to this point.

Rolls

Is it the right portal? 1= yes - (1d2)

(2) = 2

traveled time - (2d10)

(49) = 13

Sep 11, 2021 2:59 pm
OOC:
Now that I have an extra infusion, I want to say I'll be using it for my Spell-Refueling ring when we know we will be getting off the ship, otherwise I'll be using my Alchemy Jug each day to store different ingredients adding to our "fresh" food.
[ +- ] Alchemy Jug
Sep 16, 2021 5:31 am
There would be no feasting for Vanessa this day; she feels a tad miffed at the decision, but does not allow it to manifest in a bad mood. How can she when the mystery of the crew is only thickening? Vanessa is bordering between asking for more information, investigating herself, or simply allow whatever details she can obtain in passing conversation.

Coming to an internal stalemate, she'll set her sights on a more immediate issue: where will she sleep? In truth anywhere would no doubt be less comfortable compared to what she has expected in the past, but she isn't about to play some stuck up adolescent. She'll have to 'make do'. And so she'll casually scour the ship for a place to set her belongings and spring up a bedroll. Should I check the sleeping quarters? Perhaps after a little exploring, it would be foolish not to experience sleeping in a darkened corner like a stowaway at least once.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.