OOC chat

load previous
Apr 3, 2022 5:56 am
yeh let's assume there is npc capable to identify. it was Potion of Diminution

mask - eyes of the eagle
Apr 3, 2022 6:05 am
So... What do we do with the batman mask and tiny potion? I guess anguis can keep the potion until it becomes useful... But what about the mask? @Gnellson,@GeneCortess
OOC:
update on Anguis.

Chef feat.

+1 con = 14
HP (average) = 36
+ Bless spell, since lvl 4 allows me an additional memory slot...
Last edited April 3, 2022 6:07 am
Apr 3, 2022 12:43 pm
The mask fits you well, Anguis. And your dark vision would let you benefit from it more often than Bellow would.
Apr 8, 2022 3:14 pm
GeneCortess, explain this to me.
Quote:
2d20L1+1
How can I roll with advantage?
Apr 8, 2022 3:53 pm
H is hugh L is low, i.e.
Advantage: 2d20H1+1
Disadvantage: 2d20L1+1

GeneCortess - why did you roll DEX save with disadvantage? Bellow got you out of monster so you were no retrained. It does not matter this time as you both rolls were so low, but just for clarity
Apr 8, 2022 10:55 pm
OOC:
Not being all there is a trade mark for Gene.
Apr 10, 2022 8:47 pm
Yoth can spend his Channel Divinity ability to heal Thorem 20 hp (or spread that 20 hp around multiple PCs). But I can only do that once until we have a short rest.

Did you guys get any chance to rest in the maze on Day 1?
Apr 10, 2022 9:29 pm
Once, i think...
Last edited April 10, 2022 9:29 pm
Apr 18, 2022 3:41 pm
GreyWord says:
OOC:

Recap: you are in part B. Anguis is busy with hellhound, Thorem - with his fear of water.
Thorem have earned Inspiration from me

Bellow, Yoth, Mal - what do you do?
If anyone want to explore/investigate any part roll either wisdom (to notice something hard to notice) or intelligence (to make conclusion about what I've described so far.

NOTE: Starting Day 2 I am trying to introduce alternatives to everything you face in the maze. There may be ways to avoid water. There were options to avoid fighting cube and water monster in the previous room. But there is always straight-forward way to battle the monsters trying to ambush you. And don't forget you could always short rest with a tiny risk to face randomly spawned monsters. And those spawned ones will not be ambushing you
DM, I am having a hard time knowing exactly how to proceed in this game. You indicated several times that you are a little green behind the ears in terms of DM experience, and as such you urged us not to pursue alternative actions in combat, and with that frame-of-mind, we are proceeding through this dungeon, but now you are indicating that there are more flexible options available to us.

I'm not trying to put a damper on anything, and I don't know how the others in the group feel, but as for me, I am missing some of the finer details here that you may have pointed out to us.

As a human being, I have a 9 intelligence, so if others in the group have a clear sense of what options we have (and I missed those options), please disregard. I was just taken aback by your comment above, when during our combat with the ooze, I tried to use an alternative method to save my friend's character from the gelatinous cube, and then I was told that my course of actions was outside of what was allowed for this particular game because it was not spelled out in the rules.
Apr 18, 2022 4:16 pm
OOC:
thanks for bringing this up. let's continue it in OOC chat. In two words I believe DnD has precise rules for in combat only. Out of combat rules describe a different pattern. I am trying to stick to that differentiation
Apr 18, 2022 4:53 pm
This is how I understand DnD rules
Normal game goes like this according to PHB:
1. The DM describes the environment.
2. The players describe what they want to do
3. The DM narrates the results of the adventurers’ actions.

I am trying to support any player improvisation within this patter.

There are a few cases with a more detailed rules however, for example
Chapter 9: Combat
Chapter 10: Spellcasting

Just as I am not going to allow any improvisation with spellcasting just the same goes with Combat.
a Special not I was referring to is this text in Chapter 9:
Quote:
IMPROVISING AN ACTION

Your character can do things not covered by the actions in this chapter, such as breaking down doors, intimidating enemies, sensing weaknesses in magical defenses, or calling for a parley with a foe. The only limits to the actions you can attempt are your imagination and your character’s ability scores. See the descriptions of the ability scores in chapter 7 for inspiration as you improvise.

When you describe an action not detailed elsewhere in the rules, the DM tells you whether that action is possible and what kind of roll you need to make, if any, to determine success or failure.
Now what I'm really sorry for it that I will be using the power gived to DM in the rules:
Quote:
DM tells you whether that action is possible
To mostly say action is not possible.
Apr 19, 2022 5:47 am
Gnellson says:
Bellow contemplates why screaming fake chests exist where the map indicates a pillar should stand.
Could you elaborate what map is referenced here?
Apr 20, 2022 5:23 am
@Bubble First I don't like you rolling without describing your PC action that is associated with a roll
Quote:
The DM calls for an ability check when a character or monster attempts an action (other than an attack) that has a chance of failur
To fix your last roll I narrate the action your PC is doing for you. Hope you don't mind me deciding on your PC actions.

I will also remind everyone that whenever you roll a dice for ability check and fail don't necessarily means "nothing"
Quote:
it’s a failure, which means the character or monster makes no progress toward the objective or makes progress combined with a setback determined by the DM.
Apr 20, 2022 9:50 am
Whatever, as long as it goes with the mojo... If you don't like the way i think then edit my post and tell me what you did there, i know that you can do it, and i don't really mind....
Apr 20, 2022 11:43 am
oh mine. I am continuously failing to deliver the message. I like the way you guys improvise. I like the way you think. I like the way you roleplay yourself into problems.

I only want to follow this rule
Quote:
The DM calls for an ability check when a character or monster attempts an action (other than an attack) that has a chance of failure
Actually let me quote another DM on the same topic. I believe he does it better than I do:
Quote:

It's always fun to make things interesting! Instead of simply asking 'can I roll Animal Handling to see if I can calm the horse down?', describe your character doing something to calm the horse, then you can ask for a roll (or wait for me to ask for one).

That being said, I'm not the type of GM to ask for rolls for everything - rest assured, if I make you roll for something, it's only because something equally interesting will happen if you fail your roll! A comedy of errors is still a fun ride. On the flip side, there are some areas where you may get an automatic success and not have to roll at all.
Apr 20, 2022 8:18 pm
GreyWord says:
Gnellson says:
Bellow contemplates why screaming fake chests exist where the map indicates a pillar should stand.
Could you elaborate what map is referenced here?
The map of the big room shows pillars arranged in a pattern. If I imagine that pattern expanded I might expect another pillar where I instead see a fake chest.
Apr 20, 2022 8:35 pm
Oh, cool. I guessed that. As I've described Bellow indeed realized that the design should have been on a purpose and highlights the chests being among the pillars.
Apr 21, 2022 5:19 pm
I would like to agree with Gnellson - if you fail to find non obvious path, then you should just follow the obvious one - i.e. go by water to the stairs that lead to the second floor
However just for the first time I'm willing to share
[ +- ] Hint - read it if you are desperate
Apr 22, 2022 5:14 am
Quote:
going to take a few for Thorem to come back home
could you elaborate what would "take a few" means here in this sentence? My English fails at this sentence.
Apr 22, 2022 3:53 pm
"going to take a few for Thorem to come back home"

The sentence means that Thorem isn't conscious and thinking at the moment and it takes an undisclosed amount of time for him to become conscious and thinking.

My thoughts are a minute or two before his extreme fear wears off.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.