Ideas thread

load previous
Jan 7, 2022 9:01 am
Maybe some sort of {} code that can go in anywhere on the sheet (not a [vars] block) to set the vars? That way we can use whatever shape and format we want for the layout and presentation of the stats, and not need to update the mods there as well as in the roll-tables.
Jan 7, 2022 9:03 am
Level: [var:level=1]
Dex: [var:dex_mod=-2]

1d20[=dex_mod]+[=level]

How about this?
Jan 7, 2022 9:05 am
And have that display as:
Quote:
Level: 1
Dex: -2
on the sheet.

So we take the definitions and display the value, inline.
Jan 7, 2022 9:05 am
The use of variables in the custom character sheets would be awesome

BUT perhaps we should also make sure that the complexity of using this site does not explode. We are getting into non-trivial stuff here. Adding extra buttons to the page numbers might be adding complexity for minimal benefit
https://i.imgur.com/grS8qeV.jpg

I'm not saying it is a bad idea but we should be aware that the possibilities and complexity of this site have risen fast over the last year.
Jan 7, 2022 9:06 am
We also want to think about in-place editing of character sheets. I think this would tie into it.
Jan 7, 2022 9:09 am
I only see those top/bottom buttons being useful on mobile; Keyboards already have them.
It feels like overkill to me with the amount I use mobile to bounce around like that. If I can not grok what is going on from the current post, I wait till I have a proper machine (and my notes) before replying. But that is just me.
Jan 7, 2022 9:09 am
vagueGM says:
And have that display as:
Quote:
Level: 1
Dex: -2
on the sheet.

So we take the definitions and display the value, inline.
That's exactly what I'm thinking.

[var:TOKEN=REPLACE] displays the replace value.
[=TOKEN] displays the REPLACE value that was set earlier.
Jan 7, 2022 9:29 am
I'm not sure about the BBCode syntax though.

I'd see [var:level=2] as something that can be inplace edited too.
But we've also talked about inplace edit of text areas and checkboxes.
BBCode:
Level: [num:level=2]
Proficiency bonus: [num:prof=3]
Name: [text=fred]
Athletics: [check:is_prof=1] | 1d20[=str_mod]+[=is_prof*prof]
Renders as:
Level: 2
Proficiency bonus: 3
Name: fred
Athletics: ✔ | 1d20+3+3
Allowing the boxes to just be edited on the character sheet.

Name doesn't need a token so it's just [text=...]

Although calculations might be tricky in PHP.

The BBCode is getting messy! But with a good template, users might not need to see the BBCode for the character sheet.

I'm just conscious that we're coders deciding that writing code is a good idea and easy. That seems pretty dumb.
Jan 7, 2022 10:16 am
Keeping it simple so people can copy/paste should alleviate some of the 'scary code' problems.
If it is too complicated people can ignore it and use what we already have.

Do we need to specify the types for numbers and text, that complicates things and does not make much difference. The checkbox might want a type, but that is actually to do with how it is to be displayed, not about what it is. And optional 'display as' element might be better.
I think that 'in place edit' is a separate issue. This would just be another thing that could be edited in place, but does not need that, much more complicated, feature.
Jan 7, 2022 11:24 am
Is this McDonald's? Cause I'm lovin' it!

On a serious note; to avoid typing a hell-of-a-lot stuff, perhaps a drop down menu with template items should be in order, but I don't have it clear in my head at the moment to give an example.
Jan 7, 2022 11:26 am
vagueGM says:
Do we need to specify the types for numbers and text, that complicates things and does not make much difference.
I thought it'd make a difference to the width of the box for typing.
Jan 7, 2022 11:29 am
Adam says:
I thought it'd make a difference to the width of the box for typing.
So it is about how it is displayed, not about the data. Leave that off till we need it for the edit in place.
Jan 10, 2022 9:50 am
From member:
A) any chance we can get the SW Dice symbols added as fonts or emojis or something?
B) On character sheets, is it possible to add the ability to re-order or move Feats/Spells/Weapons/Talents/Skills etc?
C) I was thinking about starting a Star Wars game. I know I can see who is looking for a game, but is there a way to sort/search who wants to play what game?
D) Can someone update the link for Star Wars FFG on the systems page from Fantasy Flight's (non-existent) page to this one? https://edge-studio.net/categories-games/starwarsrpg/
Jan 19, 2022 5:56 pm
In addition to the "replace content" dice code, can we get an "add content" which keeps the result and adds a comment (or one of these newfangled emojis) to it?
Jan 19, 2022 6:01 pm
Can't you just replace the content with the number and the comment/emoji?
Jan 19, 2022 6:03 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Can't you just replace the content with the number and the comment/emoji?
Not if it's a greater than. The number's in the tooltip, but I get what vagueGM means. It'd be quite cool.
Jan 19, 2022 6:06 pm
If we can get the number, maybe. But , currently they are ranges (greater than 6, for instance) so it could be anything. Most will probably be ranges, so we would need to extract the number from somewhere, and that gets complex.
Jan 19, 2022 6:08 pm
Ah, you're right, I was only thinking of individual results, not ranges. Good point then
Jan 19, 2022 6:09 pm
I didn't see the tooltips. That is better than nothing, but does not replace the need to see the number. I would not use this "content" over seeing the number in most games.
Jan 19, 2022 6:11 pm
Then the emoji might actually be useful. I have yet to think of a time when I want replacement - but it was the original request. But appending a tick for success? Yeah. That sounds good.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.