Ideas thread

load previous
Dec 23, 2021 6:38 am
vagueGM says:
Just setting the width on img tags keeps the aspect ratio everywhere I have tried it.
The usual solution is max-width:100%; height:auto; but that only does the width. I want to constrain height too, to help users ensure that full-body avatars don't get crazy tall.
Dec 23, 2021 2:27 pm
And if you say `max-width: 100px;` and leave the height alone, does it not do what we need? It should scale both proportionally.

`height: auto` is the default, so there should be no need to specify it.

If we have problems with it not keeping the aspect ration, we can use `img { max-width: 100px; object-fit: contain; }` to force it to scale appropriately, but I have not seen that being needed and had never heard of object-fit back in my day (CSS2, at best).
Dec 23, 2021 2:30 pm
Yeah, object-fit looks perfect. When did that happen?

I'll have a play with it.
Dec 24, 2021 12:44 am
Just curious, but would it be possible to implement a means of rolling different types of dice together? Right now, if I try to roll a d10 and a d6 in the same roll, I get this:

EDIT: Never mind. I see that this has already been addressed. Thank you.
Last edited December 24, 2021 12:44 am

Rolls

Test roll - (1d10+1d6)

(3) + (3) = 6

Dec 24, 2021 5:33 am
We just don't have the minus option yet

Rolls

Test roll - (1D10-1D6)

(1) - (1) = 2

Dec 24, 2021 9:10 am
Yep. It always adds everything, no subtraction, no ability to not add. Only commas (,) don't add, but they appear on separate lines so some of the dice-color codes don't work ('pair', for example).

There were even a few games where you needed to multiple dice (1d4 x 1d10 coins), but I have not seen that sort of thing for a long time.
Dec 24, 2021 9:49 am
Arr. It supports subtraction of the modifier (1d20-2), but that's about it.

I did look at subtraction support, but the code ambushed me and I was routed.
Dec 26, 2021 7:00 pm
While we're experimenting with dice, is it possible to set it to view roll results in a preview? Right now, I have to make a post and then go back and edit it when I get the roll results.
Dec 26, 2021 7:06 pm
WhtKnt says:
While we're experimenting with dice, is it possible to set it to view roll results in a preview? Right now, I have to make a post and then go back and edit it when I get the roll results.
What is to stop people from just not posting after they have seen the preview with the undesirable result?

If your ruleset requires rolling before narrating, then surely you should post the dice and then post afterwards with the narration of what it means? If the dice come first then readers should see them before they see the interpretation? I don't know, I don't really play games where the dice come first, even in DnD I expect players to say what they are doing before they roll, then roll, then say how it went, so that is two posts with no need to edit. But that is just me.
Dec 26, 2021 7:26 pm
I guess that I'm spoiled by the Paizo forums, where the die roll shows up in a preview but is unchangeable. Also, if you try to reroll, it keeps the same rolls until you actually post the message. If I roll, say a 13, it will continue to "roll" a 13 until I either post the message or roll a second dice of the same type (at which point it will keep both rolls in the same manner). Simply not posting is, of course, an option, but we see very little cheating of that type over there. When someone does cheat and are found out, they are usually called out and ostracized by the community.
Dec 26, 2021 7:30 pm
Again, I would not know. In my games 'bad' rolls are as desirable as 'good' ones since it is all about the story, not the 'success'.
Jan 6, 2022 9:40 am
I received a suggestion from a new user (who's bringing fresh eyes to the site).

Page loading from paging to maintain flow.

e.g. Here I am on page 5.

https://i.imgur.com/UnxzkiN.png

If I load page 6 (the next page) then scroll the page to the TOP post.
If I load page 4 (the previous page) then scroll the page to the BOTTOM post.

Thoughts?
Jan 6, 2022 9:41 am
Yes!
Jan 6, 2022 9:58 am
vagueGM says:
Again, I would not know. In my games 'bad' rolls are as desirable as 'good' ones since it is all about the story, not the 'success'.
I personally hope just as often for a failure as I do for a success but it's silly to claim that there is no cheating going on and that there aren't people who just want to win.
I've caught at least two people cheating before and that's with having to post and delete. If you could just preview your rolls and then dismiss them if you don't like them, that would definitely increase.

I don't like posting and then havign to write up another post as first of all that doesn't look as nice and second, the problem with making multiple posts is that people can post inbetween your posts if you're unlucky.

I still think the best way would be to divorce rolls from posts so they appear between posts and you don't need to actually make a post to roll. But I have no idea how complicated that would be.
Quote:

Thoughts?
I don't like this

I see why that's suggested but to me at least it seems really pointless and if anything only confusing to have those buttons not all work the same.

https://i.imgur.com/aiiY0uK.png

If we want to make the Back arrow work that way, that might be reasonable. But not the number buttons
Jan 6, 2022 10:17 am
bowlofspinach says:

I don't like this

I see why that's suggested but to me at least it seems really pointless and if anything only confusing to have those buttons not all work the same.

https://i.imgur.com/aiiY0uK.png

If we want to make the Back arrow work that way, that might be reasonable. But not the number buttons
I agree.

I'm already annoyed that the page shifts as it finishes rendering images. But I haven't sat down to write a post about it and how to replicate my experience. But it happens with pages with large images.
Jan 6, 2022 11:02 am
Consistency is good. However I would have thought that the consistent thing would be to appear at the and of a thread if one is scrolling backwards though a thread? If one gets to the top of a page and asks for the previous page, it is because one want to see what came before, which is the last post on the previous page.

Anyway, this is less of an issue now that we have backfill.

If we could remove the pagination --maybe load half a page and keep half of the current (80/20)?-- that would be more valuable.
Jan 6, 2022 11:06 am
runekyndig says:
But I haven't sat down to write a post about it and how to replicate my experience. But it happens with pages with large images.
I agree. No need to write it up.

I know:
a) that it's a problem;
b) why it occurs;
c) how to fix it;
d) that if I fix it now it'll make github merge even more hellish.

Remind me in a couple of weeks once this merge is out the way.
Jan 6, 2022 4:36 pm
I don't think this is needed.
Adam says:
This is already the behavior.
Adam says:
This is what Load Previous already does. And if you're not in a position to click load previous, then it's probably not a good assumption that you want the bottom of the last page.

I'd prefer load previous to be expanded so you can continue to press it until you get to the front of a thread if you're browsing a thread backwards (I believe this is already a suggestion).

And I'd prefer a button that quickly navigates to the top or bottom of a page, so if you find yourself at the wrong end of a page then it's a quick click instead of a long scroll (especially in games with long posts). In fact I'd like that button available anywhere in a thread so if you're in the middle of a page with long posts, you can quickly move to the top or bottom. But even if it's only at the top and bottom I think it would be useful and solve the problem of finding yourself at the wrong end of a page.

Maybe something like this at the top:
https://i.imgur.com/grS8qeV.jpg

And this at the bottom:
https://i.imgur.com/B6EithH.jpg
Jan 7, 2022 8:08 am
Adam says:
runekyndig says:
But I haven't sat down to write a post about it and how to replicate my experience. But it happens with pages with large images.
I agree. No need to write it up.

I know:
a) that it's a problem;
b) why it occurs;
c) how to fix it;
d) that if I fix it now it'll make github merge even more hellish.

Remind me in a couple of weeks once this merge is out the way.
I will endevor to remind you :)
Jan 7, 2022 8:58 am
On your character sheet
[vars]
level=+1
int_mod=+3
[/vars]

Then in your table
[table="rolls"]
Skill | Roll
Coding | 1d20{int_mod}{level}
[/table]

Not sure about the {} syntax. maybe using an "=" bbcode would be more consistent?

1d20[=int_mod][=level]
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.