Gamers' Plane feature advent calendar

load previous
Dec 22, 2021 12:34 pm
There is a lot of empty space above the avatars. If we are trying to save space on mobile: use that space rather than keeping it and making the avatars smaller.
Dec 22, 2021 12:51 pm
Dramasailor says:
For the avatars could that be a drop down setting per user? Something like "mobile avatar size: sm md lg" so people can select what works best for them? (I mean I get tech-wise that it could, not sure if the amount of use/benefit outweighs the dev time)
Although options seem like a good idea, you just move the complexity onto the users and end up with a whole bunch of options cluttering a settings page. Also the interactions of options mean that you'll see more bugs ("Your posts aren't displaying? What device are you using? Dark mode or light mode? Post left, right, or conversation mode?" etc.)
vagueGM says:
There is a lot of empty space above the avatars. If we are trying to save space on mobile: use that space rather than keeping it and making the avatars smaller.
Yes, we can certainly close that up a bit. But take out too much space and it feels cramped too.
Dec 22, 2021 1:28 pm
Adam says:
... the interactions of options mean that you'll see more bugs ("Your posts aren't displaying? What device are you using? Dark mode or light mode? Post left, right, or conversation mode?" etc.)
For debug purposes, we could maybe use a one-click 'temporarily use defaults' toggle --that does not change the settings (not a reset)-- so we can instruct people to easily test if things work without their choice. I am not sure this comes up often enough to justify this though, and it does not need to be very visible if its main use is at-our-instruction-testing.
Dec 22, 2021 3:10 pm
I feel like using a character named 'Big Al' is trying to sway the vote, lol
Dec 22, 2021 3:12 pm
crazybirdman says:
I feel like using a character named 'Big Al' is trying to sway the vote, lol
Lol. Good point.
Dec 22, 2021 7:29 pm
I think the biggest is too big. The ability to tweak size for the mobile user would be a nice luxury though, choices being: Default (whichever size is decided) or smallest.
Dec 23, 2021 7:00 am

Another one?

Cheers!
Bah humbug.
Leave some sherry for Father Christmas.
[ +- ] What's going on?
Last edited December 23, 2021 11:13 am
Dec 23, 2021 10:42 am
Christmas came early 😀
Dec 23, 2021 1:54 pm
Stefron says:
Christmas came early 😀
I can't think of anything useful that this feature accomplishes. Do we need nat 20s to appear as hamburgers!? Is there really a use for this crazy feature?
Dec 23, 2021 2:01 pm
Well, someone did request custom dice, so this would solve that issue.
Same with when I played in an L5R game. Being able to customize the dice results to mimic the crazy dice for that game would have been much easier than consulting a table every time
Dec 23, 2021 2:40 pm
Adam says:
'reason' allows you to filter whether a rule applies according to whether some text appears in the 'reason' text box - allowing you to create your own dice codes.
But only after being very explicitly enabled by the player! We don't want it interpreting what they intended to be the reason, as dice rules.

I would prefer a freeform dice code system, but that does need a lot of input sanitation.
Dec 23, 2021 2:49 pm
vagueGM says:
Adam says:
'reason' allows you to filter whether a rule applies according to whether some text appears in the 'reason' text box - allowing you to create your own dice codes.
But only after being very explicitly enabled by the player! We don't want it interpreting what they intended to be the reason, as dice rules.

I would prefer a freeform dice code system, but that does need a lot of input sanitation.
That's kinda up to whoever sets up the rules (i.e. the GM).

If the GMs says that emoji should be shown only if the player adds "emoji_dice_on" or "L5R" (or whatever they like) to the reason then they'll avoid accidentally setting that rule. If the GM doesn't set any reason rule then it'll be 🤪🎲.

If you played a d6 game where only 5s and 6s are important (I'm making up games now) and that was ALWAYS the rule, then maybe 5 and 6 would be shown as a ✅ but 1,2,3,4 would be shown as ❌.

Dunno. I can't see a use in 5e except maybe as an occasional novelty. Maybe roll "special:lingering injury" to list the results of the lingering injury table (contents don't have to be hamburgers).
Dec 23, 2021 3:09 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Well, someone did request custom dice, so this would solve that issue.
Same with when I played in an L5R game. Being able to customize the dice results to mimic the crazy dice for that game would have been much easier than consulting a table every time
Yes, same for Conan 2d20 combat dice where a 1d6's results are:
1: 1 damage
2: 2 damage
3,4: 0 damage
5,6: 1 damage and 1 Effect
Dec 23, 2021 3:39 pm
Two more examples are:
In the One Ring rpg a special d12 have a Gandalf rune (auto success) on a 12 and a Eye of Sauron (bad stuff) on 11.

In Alien stress dice d6 are rolled. A 1 is a complication.

In both cases this is a very useful visual aid, so player and GM doesn't overlook anything.
Although, the 'old' dice rules did do much good in this regard.
Dec 23, 2021 3:43 pm
So long as it is explicit.
If we replace numbers with symbols we should also show the numbers somewhere (hover text?), just in case.

Are we just talking about cosmetics here? Could be get the ability to implement dice rules as well? There are system where we don't want the dice added together (no total), there are systems where we only care about comparisons between various dice or thresholds, there are systems where a fairly complex set of dice are always rolled and that could be a single code, and all sorts of complex and wonderful alternatives. Removing the total is probably the most important, since all the rest can be done by the players (as they would be with read dice) but having the dice get added together when they should not be --displaying irrelevant and incorrect numbers-- can confuse things.
Dec 23, 2021 9:05 pm
Yay, I made it! :D
Dec 23, 2021 10:26 pm
Qralloq says:

Yes, same for Conan 2d20 combat dice where a 1d6's results are:
1: 1 damage
2: 2 damage
3,4: 0 damage
5,6: 1 damage and 1 Effect
OOC:
That sounds like a GREAT test case... that'd fail.

This feature is cosmetic. It changes the appearance of the dice.
Sure, you could have 3 and 4 appear to say 0 - but the sum would be wrong.
Dec 23, 2021 10:32 pm

We wish you a... Multi

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
and happy new year
God fortsättning på det nya året!
Feliz Navidad, próspero año y felicidad
[ +- ] What's going on?
A huge thank you to Anitproduct, KoldikSteelskin and vagueGM for their development help on these advent calendar features.

https://gamersplane.com/ucp/avatars/9272.png https://gamersplane.com/ucp/avatars/9498.jpg https://gamersplane.com/ucp/avatars/1556.png
Last edited December 24, 2021 2:32 pm
Dec 24, 2021 6:04 am
Thanks for your efforts, Adam. Happy Holidays to you as well
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.