Gamers' Plane feature advent calendar

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 1, 2021 8:53 am
https://i.imgur.com/PngHauT.png
I'm going to try and submit one site tweak or bug fix for each day leading up to Christmas.

I can't promise that they'll all make it into the live site, and I'll add voting here to get your feedback on whether I should make the merge request.

Feel free to make your own suggestions for tweaks to this thread.

Day 1

Adam

Dec 1, 2021 8:55 am

Do you think this should be added?

Yes
No
I don't mind

Day 1
Dec 1, 2021 10:56 am
Lots of votes, no responses - this is a fun and great idea, Adam! Thank you for doing this
Dec 1, 2021 11:05 am
Cause Adam is A-dam-n awesome dude.
Dec 1, 2021 12:22 pm
yes, thanks Adam - but even one tweak every 3-4 days would be A LOT !
Dec 1, 2021 3:07 pm
It'd Be Nice to have the option to put lines separating the tables boxes.
Dec 1, 2021 3:43 pm
I don't have much use for mentions feature, but I don't really use secret notes either, so this isn't going to affect me. Thanks for giving a heads up and soliciting feedback.
Dec 1, 2021 4:22 pm
That could be interesting. Especially when the party splits up.
Dec 2, 2021 6:11 am

Sure, why not?
No. Stop it.
Whatever
Dec 2, 2021 6:25 am
Not sure why all the options sound so negative! I love this
Dec 2, 2021 8:05 am
bowlofspinach says:
Not sure why all the options sound so negative! I love this
I think it's because it was a pretty trivial change. But they're only supposed to be tweaks, right?
Dec 2, 2021 11:16 am
I am clearly missing something, but go go advent calendar!
Dec 2, 2021 1:05 pm
Seems Especially useful when your trying to format an Informational post.
Dec 2, 2021 4:03 pm
Antiproduct says:
What are you missing @Antiproduct?
Dec 2, 2021 4:11 pm
Adam says:
Antiproduct says:
What are you missing @Antiproduct?
I think I got it now 😂 I didn't spot the change right away.
Dec 2, 2021 8:31 pm
Videos are definitely not the best way to convey these changes.
Dec 2, 2021 8:43 pm
No, they're not. But they're cute and festive 🦌
Dec 2, 2021 9:14 pm
Vague is being a bit of a Grinch, but it's the holiday season; there's room for everyone.
Dec 2, 2021 9:15 pm
Maybe they could benefit from not being the only way the information is relayed?
Dec 2, 2021 9:16 pm
vagueGM says:
Maybe they could benefit from not being the only way the information is relayed?
+1 to that!
Dec 2, 2021 9:24 pm
vagueGM says:
I respectfully disagree. I think they're an excellent way to demonstrate exactly what was done in a very short amount of time.

Though, I think we'll soon need a wiki to collect and explain the various functions and tools available to users.
Last edited December 2, 2021 9:25 pm
Dec 2, 2021 9:27 pm
skeptical_stun says:
Though, I think we'll soon need a wiki to collect and explain the various functions and tools available to users.
Calling out to a hero! :)
Dec 2, 2021 9:28 pm
Oh no! I had such high hopes for novelty-festive-calendar-driven-development. I was going to run seminars, write books, and everything.

Oh well, maybe UML-Easter-bunnies are the way to go.
Dec 2, 2021 9:36 pm
Quote:
... explain the various functions and tools available to users.
Speaking of: What is this? https://i.imgur.com/K0CCaUP.png

It does not look like a @mention, and has a 'reload' looking icon. Clicking it gives a 403.
Is it new and related to one of the advent additions? (I have not looked at all the videos.)

Once I know what it is, I can follow up with @Antiproduct.
Dec 2, 2021 9:41 pm
Is it an emoji? I know certain DMs put them in the front of their game names.

I wouldn't mind slowly adding to a wiki, but my free time has been dwindling for months. Maybe I'll start a Google Doc that's available for everyone to edit or something
Dec 2, 2021 9:44 pm
vagueGM says:
Quote:
... explain the various functions and tools available to users.
Speaking of: What is this? https://i.imgur.com/K0CCaUP.png

It does not look like a @mention, and has a 'reload' looking icon. Clicking it gives a 403.
Is it new and related to one of the advent additions? (I have not looked at all the videos.)

Once I know what it is, I can follow up with @Antiproduct.
It's a major edit
Dec 2, 2021 9:44 pm
Antiproduct made a major edit in this game that you're still in but in a forum that is hidden to you
Dec 2, 2021 9:51 pm
bowlofspinach says:
It's a major edit
Ah. Right. Will clear it and ignore it. Thanks.
Dec 2, 2021 10:32 pm
skeptical_stun says:
vagueGM says:
I respectfully disagree. I think they're an excellent way to demonstrate exactly what was done in a very short amount of time.

They’re just a bit of Christmas fun to show what’s checked in and will be on staging. Nothing will be released without being submitted and approved.

Will there be release notes? It depends on whether you’ve been naughty or nice.
Dec 3, 2021 5:33 am

Yeah, let Koldik have his tweak
No. Koldik can go whistle.
Who’s Koldik?
Dec 3, 2021 5:39 am
I do love a good spreadsheet...
Dec 3, 2021 5:47 am
crazybirdman says:
Matt Parker, is that you?
Dec 3, 2021 9:32 am
Adam says:
crazybirdman says:
LOL my though exactly
Dec 3, 2021 12:55 pm
You made me want to vote Who's Koldik.
Dec 3, 2021 1:03 pm
I'm shocked that not more people voted for that option 😄 I did
Dec 3, 2021 3:18 pm
runekyndig says:
Adam says:
crazybirdman says:
LOL my though exactly
Haha, no but I have been listening to A Problem Squared podcast
Dec 3, 2021 3:43 pm
I think it was Angela Merkel who once said 'I govern by spreadsheet, not by tweet' ? 😄
Dec 4, 2021 7:04 am

Good idea, Antiproduct!
No. It’s antithetical.
Meh. Anticlimactic.
Dec 4, 2021 7:07 am
Who would have guessed Adam has been even longer on GP than Keleth 😄
Dec 4, 2021 7:09 am
bowlofspinach says:
Who would have guessed Adam has been even longer on GP than Keleth 😄
I’ll mention that in the branch’s thread (if I can get out of this warm bed). It still groups online first.
Dec 4, 2021 9:04 am
Don't remember where I first mentioned that; the reasoning was for it to be used alongside the LFG badge for quick-recruiting new players to games.

That intro though...
Dec 4, 2021 3:13 pm
How's that work with people that don't enter their age? Oh... wait... 😜
Dec 5, 2021 9:57 am

Is that it?!

Seriously?! A fourteen-second video for a bug fix nobody cares about?! Have you run out of ideas?
Dec 5, 2021 10:23 am
To be fair, it's only a 13-second video...
Dec 5, 2021 3:26 pm
I would actually appreciate that feature! I often see formatting and other things in public games that I wish I could quote to see, but don’t have access to it.
Dec 5, 2021 3:29 pm
Hey, bug fixes are always appreciated...
Dec 5, 2021 8:10 pm
aquafina says:
I would actually appreciate that feature! I often see formatting and other things in public games that I wish I could quote to see, but don’t have access to it.
A copy as opposed to quote
Dec 6, 2021 6:24 am

Tentative yes, but I’d want to play with it first.
No. It’s a waste of bytes.
Dunno. I have no idea what’s being suggested.
YAYYYYY!!!!
Last edited December 6, 2021 6:38 am
Dec 6, 2021 6:36 am
Why is there no enthusiastic yes option in the poll? I've been wishing for this for ages 😄
Dec 6, 2021 6:39 am
bowlofspinach says:
Why is there no enthusiastic yes option in the poll? I've been wishing for this for ages 😄
Added. Now you can cheer for your own idea.
Dec 7, 2021 6:07 am

Cool!
Cold
Lukewarm
Dec 7, 2021 11:52 am
The things that are shown here are implemented ideas, but there's no guarantee that they'll be selected to go live. They're experiments that will be shown on staging-site-one.

Anyone interesting in discussing features and ideas (other than here) - the gamers' plane development game is now open for applications. That game isn't the group that decides whether or when features will make it to the live site. We don't have a decision-making process yet.
Dec 8, 2021 6:22 am

Squash this bug?

Without mercy
Vote to view results.
I’m feeling contrary
Vote to view results.
Dec 8, 2021 7:15 am
I wonder who that lady in the video is 😄
Dec 9, 2021 6:41 am

One for the rangers?

Yes. I can see a use for this.
Vote to view results.
No. Nothing more than a novelty.
Vote to view results.
Dunno. Maybe if you actually clicked on one of those pins we’d have a clue what they did!
Vote to view results.
Dec 9, 2021 7:18 am
One wonders how much code this will add.
Those pins look way too modern for that map. :) Maybe you can find something that looks more skeuomorphic?
Dec 9, 2021 7:26 am
vagueGM says:
Those pins look way too modern for that map. :) Maybe you can find something that looks more skeuomorphic?
Stone soup, mate. It's two lines of regex in the PHP. There are a few dozen lines of js in a separate file to parse the contents then the heavy lifting is done by leafletjs.

What? Did you think I was putting in effort? Ha!
Dec 9, 2021 12:06 pm
I honestly don’t know how much I would use the pins, but at least the zoom would be amazing
Dec 9, 2021 12:21 pm
I think it would depend on the campaign. I started annotating a map in Icewind Dale, but it became too much hassle, so I switched to OtFBM, but they weren't really built for it.

https://i.imgur.com/TtXJJn8.jpg

I'm reminded of the first adventure I ran on GP. That was in Waterdeep - that was a headache too, so maybe it's not just for wide landscapes.

https://i.imgur.com/Zy0I9sq.jpg
Dec 9, 2021 1:55 pm
vagueGM says:
I t starts with modern-looking pins, then it ends with the function giving us a choice of theme-appropriate pins. :D
Dec 9, 2021 3:54 pm
Could this be combined with that option to keep a map 'pinned' to the top of each page?
Dec 9, 2021 4:58 pm
crazybirdman says:
Could this be combined with that option to keep a map 'pinned' to the top of each page?
I think a general "pinned post" thing could be nice for some games. Like, you pin a post in a thread that has some information, and that'll show up at the top of the page or something.
Dec 10, 2021 7:38 am
There is no poll to vote today!

https://c.tenor.com/RJrgBlJ61Y8AAAAd/star-wars-padme-amidala.gif
Dec 10, 2021 7:42 am
bowlofspinach says:
There is no poll to vote today!

https://c.tenor.com/RJrgBlJ61Y8AAAAd/star-wars-padme-amidala.gif

Just for Bowlofspinach

I am a horrible person who hates GeneCortess and I hope he chokes on his Spycraft bug.
Vote to view results.
I like Tales from the Loop
Vote to view results.
Dec 11, 2021 5:34 am

The last GP extension feature

Yes. Let the extension finally retire.
Vote to view results.
I've always thought these indicators are a little creepy.
Vote to view results.
Apathy; apathy everywhere.
Vote to view results.
Will they work in the most excellent Loop games?
Vote to view results.
Dec 12, 2021 1:11 am
I don't mind those indicators...
Dec 12, 2021 2:27 am
I kinda like them. I'm creepy I guess.
Dec 12, 2021 5:27 am
I wrote them, and I think they're a little creepy... and occasionally useful.

We'll be having a straight yes/no vote on all these at the end.
Dec 12, 2021 5:29 am

What do you think?

Yes
Vote to view results.
Double-yes
Vote to view results.
No. PbP should be a memory game.
Vote to view results.
Tales from the Loop games are so engaging that those players never forget the action.
Vote to view results.
Dec 13, 2021 6:20 am

Why should DnD 5e have all the love?

Yes - Savage Worlds deserves some attention too.
Vote to view results.
No - Savage Worlds can use custom sheets.
Vote to view results.
Why doesn't TftL have a special character sheet too?
Vote to view results.
Dec 13, 2021 6:28 am
Woohoo! Perfect timing for our SW game!
Dec 13, 2021 6:29 am
nezzeraj says:
Woohoo! Perfect timing for our SW game!
Ugh. The timing of the release will depend on the community's decision. You might have to muddle on with custom rollers for a bit.
Dec 13, 2021 6:55 am
Oh that's ok either way!
Dec 13, 2021 7:07 am
There's a pretty good custom sheet with rolls for it
@Qralloq
Dec 14, 2021 2:24 am
I'm pretty happy with the custom sheet, but an official one would be miles easier for most people to use, for sure.
Dec 14, 2021 7:03 am

Mobile-friendly buttons?

Yes, I too live in the modern world.
Vote to view results.
No. Clicking those tiny arrows is like a mini-game.
Vote to view results.
I knowest not these mobile devices of which thou speakest.
Vote to view results.
Dec 14, 2021 7:56 am
Tbh, the best thing about these posts are the funny poll options lol.
Dec 14, 2021 2:26 pm
I teared up there with joy, I kid you not.
Dec 14, 2021 2:42 pm
Qralloq says:
I'd like to lie and say I was thinking of you, but the truth is I've switched to android and now those buttons are bloody unusable.
Dec 14, 2021 2:48 pm
Adam says:
Qralloq says:
I'd like to lie and say I was thinking of you, but the truth is I've switched to android and now those buttons are bloody unusable.
Imagines a man Smoking an Android
Imagines an Android Smoking
Imagines a man coding on an Android.
Dec 14, 2021 2:57 pm
Whatever the reason, hallelujah. xD
Dec 14, 2021 6:45 pm
We might want to fix the SWADE curse bug first... :P
Dec 14, 2021 7:07 pm
Not your sort of Curse Adam. It not a software thing.
Dec 14, 2021 7:08 pm
More often than seems normal, SWADE games start and don't always get very far before collapsing, usually by a disappearing GM. It has been noticed enough to be classified a curse.

I'd point out that I've run and played in quite a few SWADE games that have been successful, and a few that have failed early, as well.
Dec 14, 2021 7:56 pm
I feel like that was only a short period where that happened. Haven't seen it happen recently anymore
Dec 14, 2021 7:59 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I feel like that was only a short period where that happened. Haven't seen it happen recently anymore
And now you jinxed it. Good job Bowl.

:P
Dec 14, 2021 8:19 pm
I felt a great disturbance on the GP, as if millions of SWADE games suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
Dec 14, 2021 8:28 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I think you're right. I feel like we've crossed over that ghostly cliff and reached the other side where there are now more completions than not. And I am confident that at least two if not three ongoing group games will stay the distance.
Dec 15, 2021 5:52 am

Good idea?

Yes. I need more stress in my life.
Vote to view results.
No. We thought online indicators were creepy, but this....!
Vote to view results.
Errr, Adam, you know what "asynchronous" means, right?
Vote to view results.
Dec 15, 2021 2:56 pm
If anyone has any last-minute suggestions, then I have two days without anything behind the doors.
Dec 15, 2021 3:01 pm
Character sheets don't scale very well on small screens or high zoom levels. This is not a mobile issue.

They are full of hard-coded widths that cause them to spill out the right side of the screen. But I am not sure this is within the scope of these fixes, they each need a lot of tweaking and it may be a lot of work for a problem that does not come up very often?
Dec 15, 2021 3:14 pm
vagueGM says:
Character sheets don't scale very well on small screens or high zoom levels. This is not a mobile issue.

They are full of hard-coded widths that cause them to spill out the right side of the screen. But I am not sure this is within the scope of these fixes, they each need a lot of tweaking and it may be a lot of work for a problem that does not come up very often?
Yeah, you're right. That CSS is hellish, isn't it? But the world was a different place when it was written.

Ideally, I'd like to:
Expand the BBCode to allow the other sheet components to be modelled.
Add WYSIWYG so people don't need to see the BBCode except to create the templates.
Deprecate everything other than custom.

But you're right - that's not a tweak, it's a campaign - and not even a campaign with a map.
Dec 15, 2021 3:38 pm
Adam says:
Deprecate everything other than custom.
How do I vote for that? I would vote for that!
Dec 15, 2021 3:55 pm
--Load previous-- more than once.

I know it would sort of be redundant with load all, but I find myself wishing it was available some times if I'm browsing a thread backwards to remember what happened recently.
Last edited December 15, 2021 3:55 pm
Dec 15, 2021 4:06 pm
Adam says:
If anyone has any last-minute suggestions, then I have two days without anything behind the doors.
How about the ability to return to your section/sub-sub forum at the bottom of the thread as well as on top (for example, for this thread, it's Index > General >Site Discussion)? Been asking for that one for years...
Dec 15, 2021 4:11 pm
kalajel says:
Adam says:
How about the ability to return to your section/sub-sub forum at the bottom of the thread as well as on top (for example, for this thread, it's Index > General >Site Discussion)? Been asking for that one for years...
Breadcrumbs at the bottom too? Something like this? (okay - it looks a bit daft with only one post - but it makes the point)

https://i.imgur.com/7uQezQX.png
Dec 15, 2021 4:19 pm
Would it be possible for the "breadcrumbs and page index" row to be floating (not sure that's the right term)? So it stays at the bottom (or top) of the screen no matter where you are in the thread. I find myself wanting to navigate sometimes when I'm in the middle of a page and have to scroll all the way up or down to do it.
Dec 15, 2021 4:22 pm
If were going to do that I'd probably make sense for this whole thing to float at the top.
https://i.imgur.com/dYTwF0x.png
Dec 15, 2021 4:28 pm
Maybe add breadcrumbs as an option to the Forums menu on the topbar? Make that a dropdown like the others.
I would prefer not to have more things floating around.
Dec 15, 2021 4:38 pm
Not a big fan of more floaty bits. I'd prefer top and bottom
Dec 15, 2021 4:45 pm
Adam says:
Breadcrumbs at the bottom too? Something like this? (okay - it looks a bit daft with only one post - but it makes the point)

https://i.imgur.com/7uQezQX.png
Yep!
Dec 15, 2021 4:46 pm
KoldikSteelskin says:
If were going to do that I'd probably make sense for this whole thing to float at the top.
https://i.imgur.com/dYTwF0x.png
I agree with vagueGM, it might take up too much real estate especially on small screens. It was just a thought, but might be more hassle then it's worth to have it floating. Maybe the dropdown/popup idea would work, but it's definitely not necessary, just brainstorming.

*Edit: In fact the Threads menu already addresses my navigation issue, I just haven't developed the muscle memory to remember to use it yet. So nevermind, I think my floating breadcrumbs idea would be redundant with it. I just need more practice 😆
Last edited December 15, 2021 5:09 pm
Dec 15, 2021 8:01 pm
Maybe not a small tweak but it would be awesome if it was possible to make custom dice using the dice rules.

A lot of games have some sort of special dice. For instance, The One Ring has a d12 with numbers 1-10, Gandalf rune and the Eye of Sauron.
Other systems have d6s with blanks or symbols like skulls, success etc. depending on the system.
Fate and Starwars got hardcoded special dice but it would be nice if the GM could set up rules for special dice for any system.

So basically if it would be possible to change the numerical value of a die to text.

For tweaks and fixes: 0d6 rolls 1d6 instead of nothing, which is a little odd.
(Fun fact: Abucketfullofd6 also just rolls one d6)
Dec 15, 2021 8:36 pm
Possibly a small thing.

It would be nice if it remembered who we posted as in a thread and selected that character the next time. Save this in a cookie to avoid database changes?
Dec 16, 2021 12:30 am
vagueGM says:
Possibly a small thing.

It would be nice if it remembered who we posted as in a thread and selected that character the next time. Save this in a cookie to avoid database changes?
This is a great idea. In many games we only post as one character so it would save a lot of time if that character was the default.
Dec 16, 2021 5:48 am

Would you use this?

Yes, for I am Bowlofspinach.
No, for I am not Bowlofspinach.
I am Adam, who does not care, as I never remember that menu anyway.
Last edited December 16, 2021 7:10 am
Dec 16, 2021 12:18 pm
Stefron says:
Maybe not a small tweak but it would be awesome if it was possible to make custom dice using the dice rules.

A lot of games have some sort of special dice. For instance, The One Ring has a d12 with numbers 1-10, Gandalf rune and the Eye of Sauron.
Other systems have d6s with blanks or symbols like skulls, success etc. depending on the system.
Fate and Starwars got hardcoded special dice but it would be nice if the GM could set up rules for special dice for any system.

So basically if it would be possible to change the numerical value of a die to text.

For tweaks and fixes: 0d6 rolls 1d6 instead of nothing, which is a little odd.
(Fun fact: Abucketfullofd6 also just rolls one d6)
Cheers - moved to an ideas thread

BTW just a reminder that the development game is open to applications for anyone interesting in contributing development ideas, looking at pre-release functionality, or just pouring cold water on our fever dreams.
Dec 16, 2021 12:21 pm
vagueGM says:
Possibly a small thing.

A nice and easy change. We already pick up changes to the selected character so we can show the char sheet link - hooking the event to save that locally and restoring it on page load should be easy.

We should probably put more of these config options into local storage rather than server storage (I'm looking at you dark mode).
Dec 16, 2021 12:22 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Not a big fan of more floaty bits. I'd prefer top and bottom
Me neither. I'm going to ignore this suggestion and hope nobody ever mentions it again.
Dec 16, 2021 4:49 pm
https://media1.giphy.com/media/l0Iy0ss0qJb0bCHHG/giphy.webp
😳😬 Sorry about that ... 😆
Dec 16, 2021 4:51 pm
🤣 There are no bad ideas. But if there were...
Dec 16, 2021 6:57 pm
Adam says:
Natural 20s on a d20 should be little food emojis! 🌭🌮🍔🍕🍩
Dec 16, 2021 6:59 pm
skeptical_stun says:
Adam says:
Wait... does that include the aubergine emoji?
Dec 16, 2021 7:25 pm
Adam says:
Fax integration for people without internet access? 📠
Dec 16, 2021 7:26 pm
crazybirdman says:

Shhh. Harrigan will hear you.
Dec 16, 2021 7:33 pm
crazybirdman says:
Adam says:
YES! or maybe change that to text would work slightly better.
Dec 16, 2021 7:49 pm
Adam says:
skeptical_stun says:
Wait... does that include the aubergine emoji?
Maybe for a crit fail? 😂
Dec 16, 2021 7:53 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Maybe for a crit fail? 😂
https://y.yarn.co/1312ec32-db4b-4d0e-a763-ef262f225e0f_text.gif
Dec 16, 2021 11:50 pm

?

I have no idea what I'd do with this information, but I like charts.
I have no idea what I'd do with this information, and therefore it's pointless clutter.
It looks a bit like a 1980s graphic equaliser.
Dec 17, 2021 12:03 am
Maybe that should be opt-in? But I would like to see it :)
Dec 17, 2021 1:52 am
Charts! Charts! Charts! Charts!
Dec 17, 2021 11:41 am
An idea just popped in my head for a feature that would help me immensely. In the Tools portion, I'd love a GM Notes tool that is just a text editor that is tied to each game that I can update and save at will. Creating Notes in the game itself is a nightmare when I'm trying to find a specific note and a thread is 30 pages long. It could serve as a Turn Tracker, group info, or other uses if its visible to everyone. I just want something that is not tied to a single post or page in a long thread.
Dec 17, 2021 2:59 pm
nezzeraj says:
An idea just popped in my head for a feature that would help me immensely. In the Tools portion, I'd love a GM Notes tool that is just a text editor that is tied to each game that I can update and save at will. Creating Notes in the game itself is a nightmare when I'm trying to find a specific note and a thread is 30 pages long. It could serve as a Turn Tracker, group info, or other uses if its visible to everyone. I just want something that is not tied to a single post or page in a long thread.
This is something I've thought about, but I think I wouldn't end up using it. It's too convenient to keep notes using a cell phone app that syncs with a website application, for instance, Microsoft's One Note. I've also used Google Drive docs or, in a pinch, an email draft using Gmail.

That's not to say I'm stepping on your idea, just that there are other options available that might also be convenient.
Dec 17, 2021 3:05 pm
nezzeraj says:
Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes! It might be nice to have an option to make it visible to just the GM, just the GM and a select player or two, or to everyone. And to have, perhaps, the option for more than one in a single game.

As an example, when I'm running combat in Star Wars/Genesys, I like to have an initiative tracker visible to all players so they know whose turn it is. However, I also like to keep a private note for myself with a running tally of enemy hit points, status conditions, etc. that the players aren't necessarily privy to.
Dec 18, 2021 2:31 am
My solution for notes is to either:
1) create a thread in the game I call GM Secrets that has my game notes in Notes to myself; or
2) create a GMPC and keep all my notes on that character sheet. That way it's available from every page in the game.
https://i.imgur.com/xyJD5Fr.jpg
But the idea of a Public Notes thread tied to the game rather than a post is great, especially if it had a quick link or display toggle.
Dec 18, 2021 6:28 am

Help me, SW FFG players. You're my only hope.

Yes. Use the source.
No. These aren't the features I'm looking for.
I have a bad feeling about this.
Dec 18, 2021 7:18 am
Great idea. This could also be useful in Modiphius' 2d20 game (Dune, Conan etc) where you need to track a common pool of momentum points.
Dec 18, 2021 7:25 am
Stefron says:
Great idea. This could also be useful in Modiphius' 2d20 game (Dune, Conan etc) where you need to track a common pool of momentum points.
Some implementation notes: under the hood, it's repurposed poll code - but one that tracks history instead of user votes. Because it's secretly a poll it means they have to live on posts (not character sheets) and you can't have more than one in a post.
Dec 18, 2021 8:11 am
That's awesome. Loving all these ideas.
Dec 18, 2021 12:31 pm
Destiny tracking would be wonderful! Like Stefron noted, other games have a similar mechanic, so it's potentially more broadly useful than Star Wars/Genesys.
Dec 18, 2021 3:41 pm
It's a Life Day miracle!
Dec 18, 2021 11:52 pm

Show system and open/closed status in the tavern threads

Yes. It might work 🙄.
Stop pushing the game-to-tavern link. We don't like it.
game-to-tavern-what-now?
Dec 20, 2021 4:53 am

?

Dreamy
Nightmare
I'll sleep on it
Dec 20, 2021 12:32 pm
Loving all these updates - very cool stuff!
Dec 20, 2021 1:00 pm
LOVE the snooze. Can we snooze public threads too? Maybe too much clutter though.
Last edited December 20, 2021 1:13 pm
Dec 20, 2021 1:28 pm
Windyridge says:
LOVE the snooze. Can we snooze public threads too? Maybe too much clutter though.
I think there must be some people like me who look at My Games and mentally sieve it for the ones that are both active and real games. Any game with an unread post will always be shown (even if it's snoozed).

I want to keep it to just "My Games" at first and see how it goes.
Dec 20, 2021 1:42 pm
Ah, I see. It is just in that section at the bottom. I seldom look there. So ignore me. :)
This may make that more usable.
Dec 20, 2021 9:06 pm
Is there currently any way to easily pull up a list and track public games you've 'subscribed' to? Like a favorites list or something?

If not and you're still looking for ideas... :)
Dec 20, 2021 9:13 pm
C1NDER says:
Is there currently any way to easily pull up a list and track public games you've 'subscribed' to? Like a favorites list or something?
https://gamersplane.com/forums/subscriptions/

It is called Manage Subscriptions at the bottom of many (but not all) threads.

There is a chance that is not what you mean by 'subscribed', though.
Dec 20, 2021 9:28 pm
vagueGM says:
C1NDER says:
https://gamersplane.com/forums/subscriptions/

It is called Manage Subscriptions at the bottom of many (but not all) threads.

There is a chance that is not what you mean by 'subscribed', though.
It kinda is! If this same list was more accessible from the user interface AND/OR if the list of games were clickable so the related game forum can be visited, that would basically be what's in my head. That way I can curate my own list of public games I want to follow and have an easy way of visiting and reading up on the game.
Last edited December 20, 2021 9:29 pm
Dec 21, 2021 2:48 am
Sort of the opposite direction of the snooze thread idea, but am I the only one who would find use in a function where you can set a sort of "alarm" to let you know if you haven't posted in a game in a while? Like, if you want to, you can go into your profile settings and set it so that a notification shows up if you have been idle from a game for a certain amount of time (maybe a user defined amount of time, or according to a game's posting rate).

I feel like often I open a game, read the unread posts, and close it because I don't have the time at the moment to write a response. I then forget to actually write a response later, due to the game being marked read. I cope by going into my games list sometimes and see which games I haven't posted in yet, but I wonder if people would find use in an opt in function that "pokes" them if they haven't posted in a while.

It could work in conjunction with snoozed games; they would act as an exception to the "alarm" notification settings.
Last edited December 21, 2021 2:49 am
Dec 21, 2021 2:52 am
What does snooze do exactly? Is it a way to say "I'm putting this game on hiatus until further notice"?
Last edited December 21, 2021 2:52 am
Dec 21, 2021 3:02 am
saevikas says:
Sort of the opposite direction of the snooze thread idea, but am I the only one who would find use in a function where you can set a sort of "alarm" to let you know if you haven't posted in a game in a while? Like, if you want to, you can go into your profile settings and set it so that a notification shows up if you have been idle from a game for a certain amount of time (maybe a user defined amount of time, or according to a game's posting rate).

I feel like often I open a game, read the unread posts, and close it because I don't have the time at the moment to write a response. I then forget to actually write a response later, due to the game being marked read. I cope by going into my games list sometimes and see which games I haven't posted in yet, but I wonder if people would find use in an opt in function that "pokes" them if they haven't posted in a while.

It could work in conjunction with snoozed games; they would act as an exception to the "alarm" notification settings.
Now that the last post has the new feature Mark as Unread, you could click that and then you'd see you still had to post there. I've started doing that and find it works well.
Dec 21, 2021 6:36 am
kalajel says:
What does snooze do exactly? Is it a way to say "I'm putting this game on hiatus until further notice"?
It just means hide it from the "My Games" list when there are no new posts.
C1NDER says:
It kinda is! If this same list was more accessible from the user interface AND/OR if the list of games were clickable so the related game forum can be visited, that would basically be what's in my head. That way I can curate my own list of public games I want to follow and have an easy way of visiting and reading up on the game.
saevikas says:

These are very interesting. Instead of trying to work on the "My Games" list, it might make more sense to revisit the idea of subscriptions (especially now we have more access to public games) and thinking about this anew rather than trying to tweak the "My Games" section.

(moved these to the development game ideas thread for future consideration)
Last edited December 21, 2021 6:38 am
Dec 21, 2021 6:43 am

All clear?

Great shot, kid.
Let's blow this thing.
Go home.
[ +- ] Implementation notes
Dec 21, 2021 12:44 pm
kalajel says:
...Is it a way to say "I'm putting this game on hiatus until further notice"?
That I how I could foresee myself using it.

If the game is still active --even if it slowed down-- I don't want to hide it and would encourage others not to either. If we might come back to it in a year's time, then snoozing it seems ideal.
Dec 21, 2021 12:47 pm
vagueGM says:
kalajel says:
...Is it a way to say "I'm putting this game on hiatus until further notice"?
That I how I could foresee myself using it.

If the game is still active --even if it slowed down-- I don't want to hide it and would encourage others not to either. If we might come back to it in a year's time, then snoozing it seems ideal.
Or if it's a game that is Information or has some other purpose and rarely gets posted in and is used primarily for reference then you might snooze it.
Dec 22, 2021 6:30 am

Let's float this idea...

Yes, provided the breadcrumbs don't float.
No, I wanted them to float.
I'm a floating voter.
Dec 22, 2021 8:46 am
While you're here...
KCC says:

5) Avatars are one of, if not THE most important part of character making for me. I would petition we make the avatars as big as they used to be on mobile because they’re that big for me.

Bigger on mobile?

https://i.imgur.com/FRr82v8.png
https://i.imgur.com/c0UP3n3.png
https://i.imgur.com/JksSZwY.png
Dec 22, 2021 8:50 am
I use both mobile and PC, so I get to see the full sized avatars on my laptop and the small ones on the phone are fine for me.
The last image looks too big but if wanted, I'd be fine with making them one step larger to the middle one
Dec 22, 2021 12:15 pm
If wishes were fishes.....

For the avatars could that be a drop down setting per user? Something like "mobile avatar size: sm md lg" so people can select what works best for them? (I mean I get tech-wise that it could, not sure if the amount of use/benefit outweighs the dev time)

KCC

Dec 22, 2021 12:17 pm
Yes, one of either of the bigger ones is good for me!
Dec 22, 2021 12:34 pm
There is a lot of empty space above the avatars. If we are trying to save space on mobile: use that space rather than keeping it and making the avatars smaller.
Dec 22, 2021 12:51 pm
Dramasailor says:
For the avatars could that be a drop down setting per user? Something like "mobile avatar size: sm md lg" so people can select what works best for them? (I mean I get tech-wise that it could, not sure if the amount of use/benefit outweighs the dev time)
Although options seem like a good idea, you just move the complexity onto the users and end up with a whole bunch of options cluttering a settings page. Also the interactions of options mean that you'll see more bugs ("Your posts aren't displaying? What device are you using? Dark mode or light mode? Post left, right, or conversation mode?" etc.)
vagueGM says:
There is a lot of empty space above the avatars. If we are trying to save space on mobile: use that space rather than keeping it and making the avatars smaller.
Yes, we can certainly close that up a bit. But take out too much space and it feels cramped too.
Dec 22, 2021 1:28 pm
Adam says:
... the interactions of options mean that you'll see more bugs ("Your posts aren't displaying? What device are you using? Dark mode or light mode? Post left, right, or conversation mode?" etc.)
For debug purposes, we could maybe use a one-click 'temporarily use defaults' toggle --that does not change the settings (not a reset)-- so we can instruct people to easily test if things work without their choice. I am not sure this comes up often enough to justify this though, and it does not need to be very visible if its main use is at-our-instruction-testing.
Dec 22, 2021 3:10 pm
I feel like using a character named 'Big Al' is trying to sway the vote, lol
Dec 22, 2021 3:12 pm
crazybirdman says:
I feel like using a character named 'Big Al' is trying to sway the vote, lol
Lol. Good point.
Dec 22, 2021 7:29 pm
I think the biggest is too big. The ability to tweak size for the mobile user would be a nice luxury though, choices being: Default (whichever size is decided) or smallest.
Dec 23, 2021 7:00 am

Another one?

Cheers!
Bah humbug.
Leave some sherry for Father Christmas.
[ +- ] What's going on?
Last edited December 23, 2021 11:13 am
Dec 23, 2021 10:42 am
Christmas came early 😀
Dec 23, 2021 1:54 pm
Stefron says:
Christmas came early 😀
I can't think of anything useful that this feature accomplishes. Do we need nat 20s to appear as hamburgers!? Is there really a use for this crazy feature?
Dec 23, 2021 2:01 pm
Well, someone did request custom dice, so this would solve that issue.
Same with when I played in an L5R game. Being able to customize the dice results to mimic the crazy dice for that game would have been much easier than consulting a table every time
Dec 23, 2021 2:40 pm
Adam says:
'reason' allows you to filter whether a rule applies according to whether some text appears in the 'reason' text box - allowing you to create your own dice codes.
But only after being very explicitly enabled by the player! We don't want it interpreting what they intended to be the reason, as dice rules.

I would prefer a freeform dice code system, but that does need a lot of input sanitation.
Dec 23, 2021 2:49 pm
vagueGM says:
Adam says:
'reason' allows you to filter whether a rule applies according to whether some text appears in the 'reason' text box - allowing you to create your own dice codes.
But only after being very explicitly enabled by the player! We don't want it interpreting what they intended to be the reason, as dice rules.

I would prefer a freeform dice code system, but that does need a lot of input sanitation.
That's kinda up to whoever sets up the rules (i.e. the GM).

If the GMs says that emoji should be shown only if the player adds "emoji_dice_on" or "L5R" (or whatever they like) to the reason then they'll avoid accidentally setting that rule. If the GM doesn't set any reason rule then it'll be 🤪🎲.

If you played a d6 game where only 5s and 6s are important (I'm making up games now) and that was ALWAYS the rule, then maybe 5 and 6 would be shown as a ✅ but 1,2,3,4 would be shown as ❌.

Dunno. I can't see a use in 5e except maybe as an occasional novelty. Maybe roll "special:lingering injury" to list the results of the lingering injury table (contents don't have to be hamburgers).
Dec 23, 2021 3:09 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Well, someone did request custom dice, so this would solve that issue.
Same with when I played in an L5R game. Being able to customize the dice results to mimic the crazy dice for that game would have been much easier than consulting a table every time
Yes, same for Conan 2d20 combat dice where a 1d6's results are:
1: 1 damage
2: 2 damage
3,4: 0 damage
5,6: 1 damage and 1 Effect
Dec 23, 2021 3:39 pm
Two more examples are:
In the One Ring rpg a special d12 have a Gandalf rune (auto success) on a 12 and a Eye of Sauron (bad stuff) on 11.

In Alien stress dice d6 are rolled. A 1 is a complication.

In both cases this is a very useful visual aid, so player and GM doesn't overlook anything.
Although, the 'old' dice rules did do much good in this regard.
Dec 23, 2021 3:43 pm
So long as it is explicit.
If we replace numbers with symbols we should also show the numbers somewhere (hover text?), just in case.

Are we just talking about cosmetics here? Could be get the ability to implement dice rules as well? There are system where we don't want the dice added together (no total), there are systems where we only care about comparisons between various dice or thresholds, there are systems where a fairly complex set of dice are always rolled and that could be a single code, and all sorts of complex and wonderful alternatives. Removing the total is probably the most important, since all the rest can be done by the players (as they would be with read dice) but having the dice get added together when they should not be --displaying irrelevant and incorrect numbers-- can confuse things.
Dec 23, 2021 9:05 pm
Yay, I made it! :D
Dec 23, 2021 10:26 pm
Qralloq says:

Yes, same for Conan 2d20 combat dice where a 1d6's results are:
1: 1 damage
2: 2 damage
3,4: 0 damage
5,6: 1 damage and 1 Effect
OOC:
That sounds like a GREAT test case... that'd fail.

This feature is cosmetic. It changes the appearance of the dice.
Sure, you could have 3 and 4 appear to say 0 - but the sum would be wrong.
Dec 23, 2021 10:32 pm

We wish you a... Multi

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
and happy new year
God fortsättning på det nya året!
Feliz Navidad, próspero año y felicidad
[ +- ] What's going on?
A huge thank you to Anitproduct, KoldikSteelskin and vagueGM for their development help on these advent calendar features.

https://gamersplane.com/ucp/avatars/9272.png https://gamersplane.com/ucp/avatars/9498.jpg https://gamersplane.com/ucp/avatars/1556.png
Last edited December 24, 2021 2:32 pm
Dec 24, 2021 6:04 am
Thanks for your efforts, Adam. Happy Holidays to you as well
Dec 24, 2021 10:08 am
It has been exciting to "open" the advent calendar each fay. Thank you
Dec 24, 2021 1:36 pm
I see no option for Feliz navidad, prospero ano y felicidad... :P
Dec 27, 2021 1:32 pm
thanks for all these Advent Tweaks!
Dec 27, 2021 1:34 pm
Dr_B says:
thanks for all these Advent Tweaks!
Cheers.

The final voting and discussion is now in this thread, and there are instructions for how to access staging if you want have a proper look at the features.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.