Ideas thread

load previous
Dec 7, 2021 1:55 am
Adam says:
This is an example of how to do that well by Naatkinson.

New GP Member Guide

A locked and pinned thread with a table of contents in the guides section.

There's a separate thread for feedback
You'll want to put a big notice at the top telling people not to comment on your main thread as you work on it, then ask an admin to lock it once you're happy with it.
That reminds me that I really need to update that at some point with all the changes. Either way, if someone wants to document some things, I can lock a thread for you when you need me to
Dec 21, 2021 6:37 am
Rethinking snooze and subscriptions and public games:
C1NDER says:
It kinda is! If this same list was more accessible from the user interface AND/OR if the list of games were clickable so the related game forum can be visited, that would basically be what's in my head. That way I can curate my own list of public games I want to follow and have an easy way of visiting and reading up on the game.
saevikas says:
Sort of the opposite direction of the snooze thread idea, but am I the only one who would find use in a function where you can set a sort of "alarm" to let you know if you haven't posted in a game in a while? Like, if you want to, you can go into your profile settings and set it so that a notification shows up if you have been idle from a game for a certain amount of time (maybe a user defined amount of time, or according to a game's posting rate).

I feel like often I open a game, read the unread posts, and close it because I don't have the time at the moment to write a response. I then forget to actually write a response later, due to the game being marked read. I cope by going into my games list sometimes and see which games I haven't posted in yet, but I wonder if people would find use in an opt in function that "pokes" them if they haven't posted in a while.

It could work in conjunction with snoozed games; they would act as an exception to the "alarm" notification settings.
Dec 21, 2021 8:05 am
I would like that. With the Mark Unread feature, I dont have the problem of forgetting to respond quite as often anymore but as GM sometimes, I see a post and decide to wait for further replies but then everyone seems to be waiting for me. So be able to set it like "not planning to post right now, but if nobody else does in X days, I will, so remind me" would be great
Dec 21, 2021 11:00 am
Tavern-keeper got a neat comment feature where you can comment on a post. The way it works is that you can see there are comments to the post. If you press the comment icon the post flips to show the comments on the "back" of the post.
That could be a way to make it possible to react ("Wow! nice roll") and write short ooc comments ("You forgot to roll 1d4 on your damage") without breaking immersion.
Dec 21, 2021 11:02 am
Stefron says:
Tavern-keeper got a neat comment feature where you can comment on a post. The way it works is that you can see there are comments to the post. If you press the comment icon the post flips to show the comments on the "back" of the post.
That could be a way to make it possible to react ("Wow! nice roll") and write short ooc comments ("You forgot to roll 1d4 on your damage") without breaking immersion.
There was a suggestion for such a feature before, but it either got lost in clutter or wasn't commented on. I think it's a good idea.
Dec 21, 2021 11:11 am
I was against that idea when it first came up but after thinking about it some more, I think it would be a good idea actually. If it's not too hard to implement
Dec 21, 2021 11:16 am
Antiproduct says:
There was a suggestion for such a feature before, but it either got lost in clutter or wasn't commented on. I think it's a good idea.
It wasn't lost and I've heard a number of people express an interest in this feature. It's also pretty easy to implement. So why hasn't it been added?

Despite me never having used this feature, nor seen it, nor heard bad things about it, nor spending any time considering its virtues, I've decided I don't like it. It's like I've discovered a special mix of prejudice, ignorance and obstinacy.
Dec 21, 2021 11:25 am
Adam says:
Antiproduct says:
It wasn't lost and I've heard a number of people express an interest in this feature. It's also pretty easy to implement. So why hasn't it been added?

Despite me never having used this feature, nor seen it, nor heard bad things about it, nor spending any time considering its virtues, I've decided I don't like it. It's like I've discovered a special mix of prejudice, ignorance and obstinacy.
I think you got a severe case of BoS. Nasty stuff.

Ps, I'm kidding. Just saying.
Last edited December 21, 2021 11:30 am
Dec 21, 2021 12:21 pm
It is easy for a GM to lose track of time waiting for others to have their say before moving on. I am not sure an alarm is the right choice, but it might be.

I have tried having OOC threads specifically for 'Waiting' and 'Availability' where people can post if they are waiting for another player (and that other player can chime in that they are waiting for... and we can see loops or deadlocks:) or comment that they will not be able to post for a while. I seldom find they are used. An alarm to remind the GM to come back to a thread might be just the fix we need?
Last edited January 20, 2022 11:05 pm
Dec 21, 2021 3:56 pm
Antiproduct says:
I think you got a severe case of BoS. Nasty stuff.
I'm pretty sure either BoS or I should be insulted by that, but I'm not sure which.
Dec 22, 2021 7:22 pm
I have this crazy idea. In the snippets, when using an NPC in the text box, I find that the NPC name being the same font and color as the default posting text is visually not as separated as I would like. How hard is it to either make the text smaller or better still, a different color and smaller or just a different color?

https://i.imgur.com/NW1VurE.png
Dec 22, 2021 7:27 pm
Agreed. The name does get lost there.

I think smaller is the correct option? But a color change could work too. Something to make it stand out and separate it from the rest.

Maybe a subtle background to that whole rectangle?

If we are going to futz with the background (and anything there) can we make the image be an image tag rather than a background element? That way normal browser things like 'Open image in new tab' can work on it.
Dec 22, 2021 11:10 pm
Adam
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Dolor sit amet consectetur adipiscing elit duis tristique sollicitudin nibh. Varius duis at consectetur lorem donec massa.

"Pellentesque id nibh tortor id."

Ornare massa eget egestas purus. Cras ornare arcu dui vivamus arcu felis bibendum ut tristique. Sem fringilla ut morbi tincidunt augue interdum velit. Nulla aliquet porttitor lacus luctus accumsan tortor posuere. Libero id faucibus nisl tincidunt eget nullam non. Ornare suspendisse sed nisi lacus sed. Lacus vestibulum sed arcu non odio euismod. Tellus integer feugiat scelerisque varius morbi enim nunc. Suspendisse in est ante in nibh mauris. Suspendisse ultrices gravida dictum fusce. At lectus urna duis convallis. Nulla pellentesque dignissim enim sit amet venenatis urna cursus eget. Pellentesque nec nam aliquam sem et tortor consequat id. Duis convallis convallis tellus id interdum. Arcu cursus euismod quis viverra nibh cras pulvinar. Penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes nascetur ridiculus mus.
Dec 22, 2021 11:27 pm
.inlineNpc {
background-color: #f2f2f2;
padding: 0.5rem;
}

https://i.imgur.com/TuPbyQr.png
.inlineNpc .inlineNpcName {
color: #c60;
font-family: 'OpenSans_Regular';
}

https://i.imgur.com/BNxrxl8.png
color: #c60;
font-size:80%;
}

https://i.imgur.com/9SwyTLL.png
.inlineNpc {
background-color: #fafafa;
padding: 0.5rem;
box-shadow: 0 0 3px rgb(0 0 0 / 30%);
border-radius: 1px;
transform: rotate(4deg);
margin: 1rem 2rem 1rem 1rem;
}

.inlineNpc .inlineNpcAvatar {
background-color: #f8f8f8;
border: solid 2px #eee;
border-right-color: #fff;
border-bottom-color: #fff;
}

color: #444;
margin-top: 4px;
}

https://i.imgur.com/OHHD2Z0.png

(This is meant as a joke)
Dec 22, 2021 11:29 pm
If anyone wants to play with the CSS and recommend something then I have no strong preference on the implementation, but I agree that implementing something is a good idea.
Dec 22, 2021 11:32 pm
vagueGM says:
If we are going to futz with the background (and anything there) can we make the image be an image tag rather than a background element? That way normal browser things like 'Open image in new tab' can work on it.
I use background contain as it easily allows me to constrain both max height and max width and keep the aspect ratio. Dunno if the web has discovered a better way of doing this with img.
Dec 22, 2021 11:36 pm
Just setting the width on img tags keeps the aspect ratio everywhere I have tried it.
Dec 22, 2021 11:43 pm
inline NPC option one (background-color: #f2f2f2;) looks good on light theme.

Would be nice to use #2f2f2f on the dark theme, but that might be a little too dark and no one else will appreciate the symmetry. The #222 (#202020) we are using already is definitely too dark. We can try #2f2f2f, #333 and above start to look too washed out?

Actually I am liking #2f2f2f.
Dec 23, 2021 12:34 am
I like the first one but with the different text color, however I'm fine if the majority prefers the black text. Either is a nice improvement.
Dec 23, 2021 12:37 am
Keeping the colour the same as what we use on the main avatar outside the post would be my choice.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.