Gamers' Plane feature advent calendar

load previous
Dec 15, 2021 4:06 pm
Adam says:
If anyone has any last-minute suggestions, then I have two days without anything behind the doors.
How about the ability to return to your section/sub-sub forum at the bottom of the thread as well as on top (for example, for this thread, it's Index > General >Site Discussion)? Been asking for that one for years...
Dec 15, 2021 4:11 pm
kalajel says:
Adam says:
If anyone has any last-minute suggestions, then I have two days without anything behind the doors.
How about the ability to return to your section/sub-sub forum at the bottom of the thread as well as on top (for example, for this thread, it's Index > General >Site Discussion)? Been asking for that one for years...
Breadcrumbs at the bottom too? Something like this? (okay - it looks a bit daft with only one post - but it makes the point)

https://i.imgur.com/7uQezQX.png
Dec 15, 2021 4:19 pm
Would it be possible for the "breadcrumbs and page index" row to be floating (not sure that's the right term)? So it stays at the bottom (or top) of the screen no matter where you are in the thread. I find myself wanting to navigate sometimes when I'm in the middle of a page and have to scroll all the way up or down to do it.
Dec 15, 2021 4:22 pm
If were going to do that I'd probably make sense for this whole thing to float at the top.
https://i.imgur.com/dYTwF0x.png
Dec 15, 2021 4:28 pm
Maybe add breadcrumbs as an option to the Forums menu on the topbar? Make that a dropdown like the others.
I would prefer not to have more things floating around.
Dec 15, 2021 4:38 pm
Not a big fan of more floaty bits. I'd prefer top and bottom
Dec 15, 2021 4:45 pm
Adam says:
Breadcrumbs at the bottom too? Something like this? (okay - it looks a bit daft with only one post - but it makes the point)

https://i.imgur.com/7uQezQX.png
Yep!
Dec 15, 2021 4:46 pm
KoldikSteelskin says:
If were going to do that I'd probably make sense for this whole thing to float at the top.
https://i.imgur.com/dYTwF0x.png
I agree with vagueGM, it might take up too much real estate especially on small screens. It was just a thought, but might be more hassle then it's worth to have it floating. Maybe the dropdown/popup idea would work, but it's definitely not necessary, just brainstorming.

*Edit: In fact the Threads menu already addresses my navigation issue, I just haven't developed the muscle memory to remember to use it yet. So nevermind, I think my floating breadcrumbs idea would be redundant with it. I just need more practice 😆
Last edited December 15, 2021 5:09 pm
Dec 15, 2021 8:01 pm
Maybe not a small tweak but it would be awesome if it was possible to make custom dice using the dice rules.

A lot of games have some sort of special dice. For instance, The One Ring has a d12 with numbers 1-10, Gandalf rune and the Eye of Sauron.
Other systems have d6s with blanks or symbols like skulls, success etc. depending on the system.
Fate and Starwars got hardcoded special dice but it would be nice if the GM could set up rules for special dice for any system.

So basically if it would be possible to change the numerical value of a die to text.

For tweaks and fixes: 0d6 rolls 1d6 instead of nothing, which is a little odd.
(Fun fact: Abucketfullofd6 also just rolls one d6)
Dec 15, 2021 8:36 pm
Possibly a small thing.

It would be nice if it remembered who we posted as in a thread and selected that character the next time. Save this in a cookie to avoid database changes?
Dec 16, 2021 12:30 am
vagueGM says:
Possibly a small thing.

It would be nice if it remembered who we posted as in a thread and selected that character the next time. Save this in a cookie to avoid database changes?
This is a great idea. In many games we only post as one character so it would save a lot of time if that character was the default.
Dec 16, 2021 5:48 am

Would you use this?

Yes, for I am Bowlofspinach.
No, for I am not Bowlofspinach.
I am Adam, who does not care, as I never remember that menu anyway.
Last edited December 16, 2021 7:10 am
Dec 16, 2021 12:18 pm
Stefron says:
Maybe not a small tweak but it would be awesome if it was possible to make custom dice using the dice rules.

A lot of games have some sort of special dice. For instance, The One Ring has a d12 with numbers 1-10, Gandalf rune and the Eye of Sauron.
Other systems have d6s with blanks or symbols like skulls, success etc. depending on the system.
Fate and Starwars got hardcoded special dice but it would be nice if the GM could set up rules for special dice for any system.

So basically if it would be possible to change the numerical value of a die to text.

For tweaks and fixes: 0d6 rolls 1d6 instead of nothing, which is a little odd.
(Fun fact: Abucketfullofd6 also just rolls one d6)
Cheers - moved to an ideas thread

BTW just a reminder that the development game is open to applications for anyone interesting in contributing development ideas, looking at pre-release functionality, or just pouring cold water on our fever dreams.
Dec 16, 2021 12:21 pm
vagueGM says:
Possibly a small thing.

A nice and easy change. We already pick up changes to the selected character so we can show the char sheet link - hooking the event to save that locally and restoring it on page load should be easy.

We should probably put more of these config options into local storage rather than server storage (I'm looking at you dark mode).
Dec 16, 2021 12:22 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Not a big fan of more floaty bits. I'd prefer top and bottom
Me neither. I'm going to ignore this suggestion and hope nobody ever mentions it again.
Dec 16, 2021 4:49 pm
https://media1.giphy.com/media/l0Iy0ss0qJb0bCHHG/giphy.webp
😳😬 Sorry about that ... 😆
Dec 16, 2021 4:51 pm
🤣 There are no bad ideas. But if there were...
Dec 16, 2021 6:57 pm
Adam says:
Natural 20s on a d20 should be little food emojis! 🌭🌮🍔🍕🍩
Dec 16, 2021 6:59 pm
skeptical_stun says:
Adam says:
Natural 20s on a d20 should be little food emojis! 🌭🌮🍔🍕🍩
Wait... does that include the aubergine emoji?
Dec 16, 2021 7:25 pm
Adam says:
Fax integration for people without internet access? 📠
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.