Chapter 6 - Aftermath

GM

Dr_B

Jan 31, 2022 6:14 pm
GM
https://i.imgur.com/qb8Z1kH.jpg

After an uneasy night indoors (Alana's Dad heard you getting inside and figured out, glancing outside the window, that your collective tent-pitching skills were not that good after all, and that you had found yourselves without a shelter), you sleep late the morning after, and you are eventually called for breakfast at 10 by Alana's Mom.

https://i.imgur.com/l8RHyAz.png

The smell is delicious, and all of you are ravenous.
Jan 31, 2022 6:23 pm
Al shakes everyone awake when she hears her mom's call for breakfast. "Benny!", she whispers to him. "If they ask about your bruises, you tell them the tent collapsed and you hurt yourself a bit that way, okay? We don't want my friends to get in trouble!"

She then turns to the other two boys and says: "And if someone asks, you slept in Benny's room tonight! My parents wouldn't like it if they knew you slept in my room!"

Then, she turns to her room door and shouts: "We're coming! Jeez, it's like the middle of the night, mom! Don't rush us!"
Jan 31, 2022 6:24 pm
Angela, A's Mom
"What's with the long faces, guys? Did you have an argument?" she says when you finally come downstairs, distractedly noticing the unusual mood you are in.

Ben, A's brother
Benny is wearing long sleeved pyjamas and matching long trousers. His bruises are not visible. He jumps on the eggs and bacons.
Jan 31, 2022 7:35 pm
"The tents sucked," Al says. "They collapsed while we were inside. And then we had to sleep in the house. And before that, we weren't even allowed to make a real fire!" She crosses her arms. "Worst camping ever!"
Jan 31, 2022 7:57 pm
Logan comes down stairs as gloomy as everyone else. Wearing a green hoodie, so as to hide the bruises, he sits down at the breakfast table.
Jan 31, 2022 8:35 pm
Angela, A's Mom
She smiles, serving eggs and bacon to you all. "Maybe you're a bit young for camping. You might come to like it in a few years.
She checks on Benny. " You feeling OK, hon? You look a bit pale." she ruffs his hair and feels his temperature with her hand.

Ben, A's brother
"Yeah, just a bit sleepy, is all." he says with his mouth full.

Angela, A's Mom
She shrugs, and looks at Logan "So, what happened, I thought you said you're an expert Scout? Tent trouble? "
Jan 31, 2022 10:24 pm
Logan's cheeks turn a bit red as Al's mom asks about the tents. No Mam, a couple of the pegs wouldn't stay in the ground.[/b] Shooting a glare at Al, when her mom turned away, Logan let it be known he didn't like having to lie.

Quickly finishing his breakfast, Logan gets up and thanks Al's mom for the breakfast. I'm heading to the backyard to start packing everything up.
Feb 1, 2022 12:09 pm
Cody stays silent, thinking that's the best strategy. Have to tread carefully, Al's Mom already tagged me as the evil kid who taught her Benny how to steal, he thinks.

The breakfast does wonders to his jumpy mood, though. Bacon never tasted so good...

After finishing his breakfast he follows Logan in the backyard. "Thanks for the food. Ill help Logan pack..."

Angela, A's Mom

Dr_B

Feb 1, 2022 12:13 pm
Angela, A's Mom
She looks at the boys going out the back. One with a hoodie pulled up on his head, the other with ripped pants at the knees. "They seem nice. Odd, but nice. I'm glad you two are making friends."

She looks at Benny and Alana, crossing her arms. "So... care to tell me about who slept where, you two?"
Feb 1, 2022 12:25 pm
"Benny and I slept in my bed," Al says quickly, before Benny can answer. "He heard some noises in the garden and then the tents collapsed and you know how much of a scaredy-cat he is so I had to calm him down and all that." She rolls her eyes exaggeratedly. "And Cody and Logan slept in Benny's room. I told them to take their mattresses inside."
Last edited February 1, 2022 12:26 pm
Feb 1, 2022 1:15 pm
Angela, A's Mom
She nods approvingly. "See? You know how to listen to your Mom, when you want." she takes the empty plates and busies herself loading the dishwasher.

Ben, A's brother
Benny looks at Alana in relief.

Angela, A's Mom
"Oh. I'm taking Benny to the dentist today. Then shopping."
Feb 1, 2022 1:48 pm
Outside, Cody goes to pick up the bundled doll.
"So... why do you think this didn't work? Looks real enough..." he says bringing it to Logan.
Feb 1, 2022 2:34 pm
"Okay mom," Al replies. Then she turns to Benny. "I heard they give you extra presents at the dentist if you really scream and cry." She winks at him and then turns to run out of the house after her friends.

Ben, A's brother

Dr_B

Feb 1, 2022 5:09 pm
Ben, A's brother
Ben sticks out his tongue at Alana as she leaves the room.

GM

Dr_B

Feb 2, 2022 8:11 am
GM
And so the Monster Hunters are once again in the backyard where the night before they faced Mother Ruth's chilling presence. The backyard feels very different in daylight. It is hard to believe what happened just hours before, here.

As Cody puzzles over the ineffective doll, Logan efficiently packs his tents, seeing that the damage is only superficial. Logan discards the pegs that were animated by Mother Ruth, shivering at the touch and remembering them flying like daggers at them.

Unexplainably, neither Alana's parents nor anyone in the neighboring houses heard anything of the loud confrontation. It is as if it had happened in a bubble out of time. They remember the chilling cold that surrounded them too -in full summer!- , wondering if that was felt at all by anyone else.

So many unexplained details, and over them all the biggest question of all: will Mother Ruth come to find them again, tonight?
The Hunters have a full day ahead of them to try figure some of this puzzle out.
OOC:
what's the plan, Hunters?
Feb 2, 2022 8:14 am
"I hate to say it but I think we might need help," Al says. "There must be other monster hunters somewhere that we can ask how to defeat an evil ghost mother. Maybe we can check at the library."
Feb 2, 2022 8:23 am
"You think the Librarian is one of them? Hey, maybe she could defeat Mother Ruth with her brand new library computer!" he jokes.
"Closest thing we know to a monster hunter is that weirdo at the Truth and Tuxedos place. or whatever it's called..."

He gives the doll back to Alana, then turns to Logan. "You're the monster expert, here. Come on, you've watched more horror movies that any of us... What do you think we should do?"
Feb 2, 2022 8:24 am
How are we going to find them? It's not like they're going to openly advertise that fact. Once I get the camping gear home and packed up, I'll go visit Eddard, maybe he knows something or someone. I say we hit this from two different directions.
OOC:
our posts crossed, edited to put them in a better order

GM

Dr_B

Feb 2, 2022 8:37 am
GM
The hunters make plans to part and investigate different avenues. Cody decides to stick with Logan, to help him carry all the camping kit home, then hit the Truth and Tuxedos (as Cody's renamed it) weirdo.

Alana heads for Gulf Haven Library, hoping to find out more about ghosts and how to defeat them.

They make arrangements to regroup at midday at Monster HQ.
Feb 2, 2022 8:57 am
Alana.
https://i.imgur.com/XcxxDYX.png

GM
Alana skates downtown and gets to the Library. There is a morning reading group for children going on today, and she can hear some nonsense story being read by a volunteer to a bunch of young kids sitting on colourful cushions on the floor.
"...And the Brave Little Mushroom said I cannot leave Thumpberry alone......"

She carries on and heads for the front desk. A different, younger Librarian is checking in books from a wheeled cart, with the label LATE RETURNS.

Librarian 2
She sees Alana approaching "Hi. Need any help, young lady?"
load next

Thread locked