Chapter 6 - Aftermath

load previous
Feb 2, 2022 9:02 am
GM
Cody and Logan. After lugging the heavy tents to Logan's place they decide to drop them in the garden shed, not to waste too much time. They head straight to Eddard's shop and get there in twenty minutes.

https://i.imgur.com/DMJkDD4.jpg

As they approach, they notice a motorbike is on the sidewalk in front of the shop, and they see someone is inside with Eddard.

Floyd
An older kid that Cody recognizes from the Arcade (he was playing pool with his brother's friend) is passing something to Eddard over the counter.

Eddard Linderman
Eddard grins, opens a drawer and pays some dollar bills to the boy, pocketing something.
Feb 2, 2022 9:19 am
"I'm looking for any newspaper articles about real monster hunters!", Al announces. "You know, someone in the area who defeated a monster. Would be best if it was a ghost but I'll take any monster!"

Librarian 2

Dr_B

Feb 2, 2022 12:55 pm
Librarian 2
She raises her eyebrows. "Wow... not specific at all, huh?" she comments.

"Well... it's not something newspapers talk about very often, you see... But if you want local stories, we have pretty much all of the Washington County News on microfilm..." She looks at you, doubtful. "I mean... That's A LOT of newspapers to check..."
Feb 2, 2022 1:11 pm
"Can't your computer help with that?", Al asks. "You see, I'm also a member of your computer team!" She points at the list that she entered her information into. "Maybe you can use that to find what I'm looking for. Otherwise... Well, I'm a really fast reader, you know!"

Librarian 2

Dr_B

Feb 2, 2022 1:51 pm
Librarian 2
She chuckles "And, as a member of our computer team, you will surely know that it will be months - maybe years- before this terminal can be called useful..."

She walks around the desk, leading you to a corner where another sci-fi looking thing awaits.

https://i.imgur.com/eBMOmg8.png

"Here's the microfilm viewer. I will show you how to use it, but I'll have to load the microfilm for you." She unlocks a nearby cabinet with her key. Inside are many labelled boxes full of film rolls. "So... we have here papers from... 1880, to... 1975. Washington County News.. Each film contains a year. There are gaps, but... most of it is here."

She sees your confused look "So, what year would you like to look into, first? "
OOC:
Alana remembers Eddard's index card and the Folklore book talking about sightings of the Mother in 1861, 1915, 1936 and the 1960s
Feb 2, 2022 2:19 pm
"Well, I'm looking for someone I can talk to," Al explains. "So probably something recent." She's not too concerned about it relating about the mother in particular, so she says: "I'll just start with the last year, 1975, and go backwards, I guess."

GM

Dr_B

Feb 2, 2022 2:30 pm
GM
The Librarian loads the microfilm reel for 1975 on the viewing machine and shows you how to go back and forth to see different issues of the newspapers. The machine is quite cool, with its large backlit screen, but makes a hell of a noise, clicking and whirring.

Once she sees you got the hang of it, she leaves you to it.

Alana starts sieving through old newspapers from ten years ago... they seem much older to her!
Feb 2, 2022 3:23 pm
Al clicks through the newspaper headlines. Using the machine is kind of fun so she's enjoying this task. She keeps searching for any mention of terms like ghost, monster, spirit or anything of the sort.
OOC:
Should I make a roll? What skill would that be?

GM

Dr_B

Feb 2, 2022 3:37 pm
GM
Alana delves deep in the stream of varied, and often strange, local news from a decade before.
OOC:
So, let's have a Research roll (or Unskilled: 1d6-2/1d4-2), and after an hour or so of searching, a Spirit roll to see how her focus is doing please. It can be tedious work!
Feb 2, 2022 4:03 pm
OOC:
Let's see...

Rolls

Unskilled Research - (1d4-2, 1d6-2, RA)

1d4-2 : (3) - 2 = 1

1d6-2 : (3) - 2 = 1

Spirit - (1d8, 1d6, RA)

1d8 : (4) = 4

1d6 : (2) = 2

Feb 2, 2022 4:14 pm
GM
Alana finds stories about crime, local elections, wild bear sightings, country fairs, a brawl or two... but day after day, month after month, she sees no mention of anything ghostly... this must be a really boring region.

Librarian 2
"Had enough yet? No?..."The Librarian comes back to change the microfilm to another year, surprised at Alana's perseverance. The girl seems focused and intentioned to continue reading headlines. "Here you go."
The woman sets things up and leaves again.

You get back to work, eyes a little tired for the intense reading.
OOC:
give me a Notice roll from Alana
Feb 2, 2022 4:35 pm
Al is bored out of her mind, but also too stubborn to just give up so she keeps going.

Rolls

Notice - (1d6, 1d6, RA)

1d6 : (2) = 2

1d6 : (61) = 7

GM

Dr_B

Feb 2, 2022 5:51 pm
GM
After a while, Alana starts to feel observed. It is just a nagging feeling at first, and everytime she looks around, the people in the library are minding their own business.

She shrugs and carries on with her work. The feeling persists. Eventually, she catches something at the periphery of her vision...
[ +- ] ...
Feb 2, 2022 5:58 pm
Without hesitation, Al jumps up and sprints to the door closest to that window to get outside and see who (or what) is spying on her.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d4, 1d6, RA)

1d4 : (442) = 10

1d6 : (64) = 10

Feb 2, 2022 6:07 pm
GM
The Librarian watches in astonishment as Alana sprints in front of her desk "HEY!!".
Alana gets outside at full speed, and turns a corner so she can see the whole side of the building where the window was.

She can see a figure riding a bicycle and riding away fast. They look over their shoulder, and she can clearly see...
[ +- ] ...
Feb 2, 2022 6:21 pm
Al hops onto her skateboard and immediately begins chasing after him without even thinking. "Stop!", she shouts after him. "Why are you spying on me!"

Rolls

Riding - (1d4, 1d6, RA)

1d4 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (4) = 4

GM

Dr_B

Feb 2, 2022 6:58 pm
GM
The chase begins!
OOC:
Davey has some advantage over Alana:
[Alana] [.] [.] [Davey]
[ +- ] Manoeuvres allowed
OOC:
ALana first, if you want to keep the roll from before we can consider it a Change Position

-Alana
-Davey

Deck Draws

Alana, Davey
King of Hearts
4 of Diamonds

Davey Jenkins

Dr_B

Feb 2, 2022 7:02 pm
[.] [Alana] [.] [Davey]
Alana moves forward one space.
Davey Jenkins
Davey pedals as fast as he can to escape!

But he cannot seem to gain over Alana.

[.] [Alana] [.] [Davey]
OOC:
new round:
-Davey
-Alana - SETBACK!!
Davey whimpers looking over his shoulder and puts his back into it.

Rolls

Change Position (Riding) - (1d8, RA)

(1) = 1

Change Position (Riding) - (1d8, RA)

(2) = 2

Deck Draws

Alana, Davey
4 of Clubs
5 of Hearts
Feb 2, 2022 7:03 pm
OOC:
I'll keep it for a change Position

GM

Dr_B

Feb 2, 2022 7:09 pm
GM
Once again, Davey does not gain any ground.

[.] [Alana] [.] [Davey]

Alana has a setback (clubs card): The sidewalk she's riding on has a pavement stone misaligned with the others, creating a hard-to avoid step right in her way.
OOC:
-2 on the next roll as she tries to keep her balance

-Davey
-Alana - SETBACK!!
load next

Thread locked