Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Oct 21, 2016 6:01 pm
Assuming we're out of bullet time

"Sorry everyone, but we do have a very strict policy: no refunds without a receipt." Domarc says. "I'm afraid we'll have to close briefly to deal with all this."

Domarc gently shakes Ozen awake (if he was asleep) and asks him to close up for the moment and explain to the guard that a couple of people tried to rob the company.

He gestures to Zangua and Shamush. "Gentlemen, we should head upstairs. There will be some questions."
Oct 21, 2016 6:15 pm
Blinking the soupy fog of magical sleep away, Ozen gapes at the carnage in the lobby. As the remaining customers make their exit, a young man of the city guard enters and visibly starts as he sees the bodies on the floor. "Ziu-Pater's beard, what happened here?" he asks.
Oct 21, 2016 6:19 pm
EDIT: Nevermind, scooped by Domarc.

"A robbery, good sir! If you hurry you can catch them. They headed for the bridge!" He points out the door.
Last edited October 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Oct 21, 2016 6:22 pm
If Zangua has heard Domarc, he gives no indication. He rolls the blue-robed man over with his boot and kneels to rummage through the belongings for any clues to the man's identity, such as the six-pointed crown symbol. "Search that one," barks Zangua in the tone of a soldier, pointing to the caped man on the floor. "Mind yourself if he snaps out of it. These men tried to kill us."
Oct 21, 2016 6:24 pm
I'm stepping on everyone's lines. Sorry.
Oct 21, 2016 6:27 pm
OOC:
I'll play that Zangua's actions are ignorant of the guard as well, and his "command" was to anyone in general. He's got tunnel vision at this point and is hoping to capture and interrogate these two.
Oct 21, 2016 6:42 pm
The guard squints and glances back at the door.

"There was no robbery!" howls an older, well-dressed man still crouched against the far wall. He points his finger at Zangua. "This one started making threats -- and then there was sorcery! Violence! I have never seen the like!"

Ozen looks at the guard, then at Domarc, then back at the guard. "I don't -- there was -- I don't know what's going on," he stammers unhelpfully.

Another guard bursts into the lobby, accompanied by one of the customers who fled at the first sign of combat. "What the --" he starts to say.

"Go get the lieutenant," the first guard says. "And hurry."

Zangua finds a compartmented deerskin pouch on the mage's belt, presumably holding his spell components. He also has a sheathed knife and wears a thick silver ring. Under the hood, his face is ordinary; a middle-aged man with furry eyebrows and pox-scars.

As the newly-arrived guard turns back around and leaves to find, presumably, his lieutenant, the first guard interposes the butt of his spear between Zangua and the unconscious mage. "Step -- step away from him, and lay down your weapon," he says. You can hear anxiety in his voice.

~meanwhile, on the other side of the building~

"What's taking so long?" Martjan hisses.

"I have a bad feeling about this," mutters Zora.
Oct 21, 2016 7:00 pm
Domarc casts "Friends" and steps up to the Guard.

"This is all just an unfortunate misunderstanding," he says, sighing. "This has been such an unpleasant morning all around - unwelcome guests and then an attempted robbery. Confusing and upsetting for us all, especially when this one cast some spell to make people fall asleep! I'll secure the troublemakers upstairs while you wait for your lieutenant. We do want to clear this up as fast as possible and get back to business."

Not sure if this is Persuasion or Deception, but my modifier is the same either way

Would I have enough of a sense of where Martjan is to cast Message?
Friends: For the duration, you have advantage on all Charisma checks directed at one creature of your choice that isn’t hostile toward you. When the spell ends, the creature realizes that you used magic to influence its mood and becomes hostile toward you. A creature prone to violence might attack you. Another creature might seek retribution in other ways (at the DM’s discretion), depending on the nature of your interaction with it.

edit - darn, I'm going to make him hostile for advantage on a roll where I probably didn't need it
Last edited October 21, 2016 7:08 pm

Rolls

Persuasion or Deception - (1d20+8)

(18) + 8 = 26

Persuasion or Deception advantage - (1d20+8)

(13) + 8 = 21

Oct 21, 2016 7:04 pm
Zangua uses the distracting conversation to search the caped man, taking careful note to remove the slender dagger.
Oct 21, 2016 7:27 pm
Mordred subtly makes an evil hand gesture and sticks his tongue out at the tattletale, then puts his hand on Shamush's shoulder and guides him upstairs. "I've got this one, Domarc. You take the other."

On his way up the stairs, Mordred casts Thaumaturgy to generate voices that appear to come from the street outside. "Guards! Help!"
Oct 21, 2016 7:34 pm
The guard nods slowly. "I see. Yes. Terrible situation." He looks around uncertainly. At the sound of Mordred's Thaumaturgy, he jerks in surprise, then goes to the door and looks outside.

Zangua takes the smiling man's dagger and finds a coin purse as well.
Oct 21, 2016 8:58 pm
"We have to move," Domarc says, kneeling beside Zangua. "He's going to be pissed when he figures out what just happened, and my natural charms will only get me so far. Is he alive?"

If he's alive, Domarc will help Zangua carry the unconscious person upstairs. If not, Domarc urges Zangua to get a move on. Domarc will also grab the ring from the bearded man if possible.
Last edited October 21, 2016 8:58 pm
Oct 21, 2016 9:09 pm
Blue robe is alive but unconscious, smiling man is dead.
Oct 21, 2016 10:25 pm
Zangua slaps away Domarc's hand. "Get your paws away from him. Don't know who you are, but you better step back."
Oct 22, 2016 3:26 am
Domarc gets up and heads for the stairs.

"I'd say you have about a minute before he's back here. Your choice on where you want to be; I'm going to go help your friends get your...package...stowed away somewhere safe."

At the foot of the stairs, he turns to look at Ozen.

"Tell the guard what you saw; there was an argument here, and then these two -" Domarc indicates the blue robe and the smiling man - "came in. One of them cast a sleep spell on the room, likely to rob us. We fought them off. Martjan has been called away on urgent business; you don't know when she'll be back. And Ozen -" Domarc gives him a half-smile & wink "it's been good working with you. Sorry about the mess."
Oct 22, 2016 5:00 am
OOC:
Well... that happened fast. I'm not even sure where Leth is right now lol
Oct 22, 2016 6:26 am
Zangua growls. Wordlessly, he pulls the blue-robed man and carries the unconscious body up the stairs.
Oct 24, 2016 8:37 am
BullOctorok says:

~meanwhile, on the other side of the building~

"What's taking so long?" Martjan hisses.

"I have a bad feeling about this," mutters Zora.
"I'm sure our friends have everything under control," says Felor. "We dealt with far worse than a pair of city scoundrels on our journey here. Fjorgyn has guided us with her all-knowing wisdom and lent us her holy strength. She would not desert us now."
Oct 24, 2016 12:42 pm
Well... that happened fast. I'm not even sure where Leth is right now lol

I think Mordred and Leth did that thing where you walk into the kitchen as the last dish is being placed on the drying rack and then ask if there is anything else you can do to help clean up.

I think unless these guards want to stop us, we are all heading back to Martjan and Zora. CancerMan, why is Zangua bringing a hostage?
Oct 24, 2016 3:06 pm
I think we are clear of guards for the moment; but yeah, I think the next move is for all of us to head for the warehouse.

I think the thinking is that a hostage might answer some questions.
load next

Thread locked