Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Oct 26, 2016 7:28 pm
Before going into the alley, Domarc pauses and casts a spell. His appearance changes, becoming that of Zora.

"Confusion to our enemies," he says.
OOC:
Disguise Self
1st-level illusion
Duration: 1 hour
You make yourself—including your clothing, armor, weapons, and other belongings on your person—look different until the spell ends or until you use your action to dismiss it. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller and can appear thin, fat, or in between. You can’t change your body type, so you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs. Otherwise, the extent of the illusion is up to you.
The changes wrought by this spell fail to hold up to physical inspection. For example, if you use this spell to add a hat to your outfit, objects pass through the hat, and anyone w ho touches it would feel nothing or would feel your head and hair. If you use this spell to appear thinner than you are, the hand of someone who reaches out to touch you would bump into you while it was
seemingly still in midair.
To discern that you are disguised, a creature can use its action to inspect your appearance and must succeed on an Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC.
Oct 27, 2016 11:03 am
I'll take the dagger, if no one else wants it. I'm ready to leave.
Oct 27, 2016 4:01 pm
Zangua hands the dagger to Mordred.
Oct 27, 2016 4:34 pm
Martjan leads you west a ways, through narrow streets and alleys, past workrooms and storehouses piled high with worker tenements atop them, then cuts north and doubles back to the east, alongside a wide canal. Pole-driven skiffs laden with sundry freight come and go, occasionally catcalling or demanding blessings or singing curious songs as they pass by.

Eventually you find yourself back in the large residential district that the House of the Zapanim was in. Martjan zig-zags you through the cobbled streets, heading further north, to where the fancy townhouses yield to larger estates.

"I'm cashing in the biggest favor I can," Martjan says. "This is about the most secure place I can possibly get you into, Zora." She turns pointedly toward a sprawling walled-in expanse of lush gardens, fruit trees, and airy, finely-constructed outbuildings surrounding a rather ugly, boxy stone keep. "Do you know whose house this is?"

"Why would I?" Zora asks.

"This is the House of Gahmez. The lord of this manor is one of the richest men in the city, and his nephew is currently serving as the Innocent of Hazard. If you're not safe here..." she gestures with her palms up, then finger-combs her hair a bit and turns back to face the rest of the party. "I'll try to get guest rights extended to all of you for the time being, but I can't promise the sun and moon. In any case, try to...try to be on your best behavior."

She walks up to a vine-shrouded side gate and shouts; "I am here, Martjan va Locra, blood and friend to the estimable Chorcarz dra Gahmez! I ask you, let me in!" She quickly looks back over her shoulder as if to see if anyone was around to hear. There are citizens and guards in the vicinity, but nobody seems to be paying any attention.

A moment or two later, you hear a clink and the gate swings open. A tall, tattooed man of Haferan complexion stands at the entry. "Madam va Locra, you were not expected." His gaze flicks over to take in the motley crew behind her.

"I know. I'm afraid this is no social call, but rather an emergency. My daughter is in grave danger and I beg the help of my dear friend Chorcarz. Will you ask him to grant me a moment of his time? Please."

The doorman nods. "Wait here." He shuts the gate and walks up the garden path behind it.

Martjan turns around. "Formalities," she mutters. "He'll see me, don't worry."

To be continued later this morning. In the meantime, characters should feel free to ask any questions or take any actions they want while they're waiting for the doorman to come back.
Oct 27, 2016 4:36 pm
Martjan leads you west a ways, through narrow streets and alleys, past workrooms and storehouses piled high with worker tenements atop them, then cuts north and doubles back to the east, alongside a wide canal. Pole-driven skiffs laden with sundry freight come and go, occasionally catcalling or demanding blessings or singing curious songs as they pass by.

Eventually you find yourself back in the large residential district that the House of the Zapanim was in. Martjan zig-zags you through the cobbled streets, heading further north, to where the fancy townhouses yield to larger estates.

"I'm cashing in the biggest favor I can," Martjan says. "This is about the most secure place I can possibly get you into, Zora." She turns pointedly toward a sprawling walled-in expanse of lush gardens, fruit trees, and airy, finely-constructed outbuildings surrounding a rather ugly, boxy stone keep. "Do you know whose house this is?"

"Why would I?" Zora asks.

"This is the House of Gahmez. The lord of this manor is one of the richest men in the city, and his nephew is currently serving as the Innocent of Hazard. If you're not safe here..." she gestures with her palms up, then finger-combs her hair a bit and turns back to face the rest of the party. "I'll try to get guest rights extended to all of you for the time being, but I can't promise the sun and moon. In any case, try to...try to be on your best behavior."

She walks up to a vine-shrouded side gate and shouts; "I am here, Martjan va Locra, blood and friend to the estimable Chorcarz dra Gahmez! I ask you, let me in!" She quickly looks back over her shoulder as if to see if anyone was around to hear. There are citizens and guards in the vicinity, but nobody seems to be paying any attention.

A moment or two later, you hear a clink and the gate swings open. A tall, tattooed man of Haferan complexion stands at the entry. "Madam va Locra, you were not expected." His gaze flicks over to take in the motley crew behind her.

"I know. I'm afraid this is no social call, but rather an emergency. My daughter is in grave danger and I beg the help of my dear friend Chorcarz. Will you ask him to grant me a moment of his time? Please."

The doorman nods. "Wait here." He shuts the gate and walks up the garden path behind it.

Martjan turns around. "Formalities," she mutters. "He'll see me, don't worry."

To be continued later this morning. In the meantime, characters should feel free to ask any questions or take any actions they want while they're waiting for the doorman to come back.
Oct 27, 2016 4:48 pm
Zangua looks around, then to Martjan. "I'm not that dumb and can figure out who you are," he says, nodding to Zora's mother. "But who's this guy?" The rough warrior turns to Zora and Domarc, gesturing his hand to both in order to apply context to which one it actually is.
Last edited October 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Rolls

Investigation, which Zora? - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Oct 27, 2016 6:05 pm
Zangua comically does a double take, wipes off his glasses, rubs his eyes, etc, as he fails to tell the two Zoras apart.

After ten minutes or so, the gate swings open again. The Haferan is now accompanied by a short man of about sixty years, with wispy gray hair and a sagging double chin, dressed in a simple brown tunic. "Martjan. How pleasantly unexpected to see you," he says.

Martjan bows her head. "Chorcarz, I am so sorry to surprise you like this, but I am in desperate need of your help. May I introduce you to my daughter, Zora?" She gestures to Zora, who copies the head bow her mother just made.

Chorcarz smiles. "I didn't know you had a daughter." His gaze shifts to Domarc. "Twins, from the looks of it."

Martjan takes a deep breath. "A glamour. These are company men I have employed to protect her. Chorcarz, may we speak somewhere away from the public eye?"

"Of course, yes. I ask only that your company men leave their arms here at the gate, in Rolon's care."
Oct 27, 2016 6:11 pm
Zangua folds his arms. "I'll stay here. If it's anything like last time, we'll want someone to support Roll-on."
Oct 27, 2016 6:36 pm
"If I may..." Leth says. When the attention shifts to him, he tries to imitate the same head-bow that Martjan and Zora just performed. "Please, I don't mean to be rude, but Zora really is in a great deal of danger, and as Martjan says, we have been charged with protecting her. I'm afraid we will be woefully unable to perform that duty without our weapons, and I would rather keep them on my person, at least until we are sure she is safe. Is that permitable for the time being?" He says, mentally praying that he is not overstepping his bounds in an irreparable way.

Rolls

persuasion - can we please keep our weapons? - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

performance - I promise I'm not ungrateful, just concerned - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Oct 27, 2016 6:48 pm
Quote:
"But who's this guy?" The rough warrior turns to Zora and Domarc, gesturing his hand to both in order to apply context to which one it actually is.
"I am a singer of songs, teller of tales, a worker of wile;
jack of all trades and master of some; truth-teller and a liar
buy me some drinks and my tongue will never tire."

Domarc laughs.

"I am a bard, good neighbour, and one who amused Martjan enough for her to keep me for labour. I know the importance of the young lady whose face I now wear and the task that you bear. And this tale is not yet fully told; there may be a role for me if I am bold."
Oct 27, 2016 6:54 pm
Still in disguise, Domarc hands over a rapier and a hand crossbow, attempting to keep a dagger concealed on his person.
OOC:
I have no idea if me giving items over breaks the spell (my items become part of the illusion) or not; I'll make a Slight of Hand check to try to keep the dagger concealed somewhere. I want to have it tucked away where it wouldn't be visible - say in my boot?
edit - crap. I guess I drop the dagger while trying to conceal it, and I attempt to sweep it up and hand it over as if it were the plan all along
Last edited October 27, 2016 6:55 pm

Rolls

Slight of Hand - conceal dagger - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Oct 27, 2016 6:58 pm
Rolon raises an eyebrow at Zangua's statement while Martjan gives Leth a discreet death glare. Chorcarz cocks his head. "I see. Well, I should not want to force you into a position where you feel you are derelict in your duty. Come into the grounds, all of you, I invite you in as guests."

Rolon steps aside, clearing the way for you all to pass through the side gate.
Oct 27, 2016 7:01 pm
Although he manages to keep his weapons, Leth immediately regrets his actions when he sees Martjan glaring at him.

Oh well. Nothing to be done about it now.
Oct 27, 2016 7:01 pm
Domarc re-equips. And out of politeness to the host, lets the illusion drop.
Last edited October 27, 2016 7:04 pm
Oct 27, 2016 7:10 pm
As you begin to file through the gate, Chorcarz says: "Martjan, if I may ask a moment of patience from your retinue, will you come with me to the Semla shrine that I might speak privately with you? Bring your daughter as well."

"Certainly," Martjan says, giving you all a fairly clear don't-butt-into-this look.

"Rolon, will you show these doughty men to the sundial table?" asks Chorcarz. Rolon nods, and starts to lead the way down a garden path to the left. Chorcarz places his hand on Martjan's shoulder and starts to walk with her up towards a small columned outbuilding next to a large knucklenut tree. Zora looks weary and impatient, but follows her mother.
Oct 27, 2016 7:14 pm
Zangua mutters irritably after Domarc's lengthy spiel, "Outta all that, still never said 'is name." He did, however, manage to suss out that the bard is in the employ of Zora's mother, and lets it go. He takes a deep breath and follows the group, hoping there will be time to rest.

Rolls

Second Wind - (1d10+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Oct 27, 2016 7:24 pm
"Gentlemen," Domarc says as they make their way to the sundial table. "It has been a most eventful morning. I have the privilege of being Domarc Sirar, as I believe I said when we first met at the Trading Company. Time for introductions has been short all around and in the absence of our host, or Martjan, I feel that I must extend the hand of hospitality. Could I have your names? And if it would please you, I would be happy to entertain while we wait."
Oct 27, 2016 7:33 pm
The sundial table is a large round stone table in a flower garden next to a fish pond. Rolon remains standing at attention near the pond as you take your seats to wait.

After a few minutes of idle talk and introductions with Domarc, a young woman arrives with a serving tray and a blue glass pitcher. She sets down a dish of savory pastries and pours a cup of sweet white wine for each of you. When she is done, she exchanges a few words with Rolon in a language none of you understand, and heads back up the path towards the keep.
Oct 27, 2016 7:51 pm
Will this interlude count as a short rest? If so, Domarc will do Song of Rest - everyone rolling to recover HP gets an extra d6
Oct 27, 2016 7:54 pm
Sure, this counts as a Short Rest. Everybody roll for HP regeneration, if applicable.
load next

Thread locked