Spending Hit Dice... back to full 40/40
Last edited October 27, 2016 8:05 pm

Rolls

1 Hit Dice - (1d10+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

1 Hit Dice - (1d10+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Oct 27, 2016 8:19 pm
Is anybody else injured? Just go ahead and roll when you can, if so.

About fifteen minutes pass after the refreshments arrive, and then you see Chorcarz approaching, alone. He tosses something into the table: a small drawstring sack stuffed with coins, several of which spill out onto the table surface, bright and gold.

"All right," he says. "I'll have the truth from you lot. And think carefully before you dissemble; there's more where that came from and little to be gained from trying to pull a ruse on we Gahmezi. Why did that woman bring you here, you and that girl she calls her daughter? What in the tarry Hells does she want from me? Out with it, and be straight with me."
Oct 27, 2016 8:28 pm
Zangua does not partake in the refreshments, applying bandages to his fresh wounds and chewing dried dog meat. He's also not much of a talker, and remains silent to allow Leth, Mordred, or the chatty newcomer to speak.
Oct 27, 2016 8:52 pm
OOC:
Quote:
Is anybody else injured? Just go ahead and roll when you can, if so.
The Song of Rest applies to any who can hear it, so if anyone else is rolling, you can add a d6

"Martjan va Locra named you blood and friend," Domarc says, taking a moment to refill his wine. "She brought us all here in search of safety for her daughter. She believed she would find it with you, though she was loath to ask. The young lady is her daughter by both her claim and Martjan's, and Martjan has never given me reason to doubt her word. Now, my loyalty is to Martjan as both employer and friend. Her daughter I have just met, but the rest of my new friends seem most attached to her.

At a table such as this, gold does not buy truth nor deception. We are here for deeper reasons, and before I answer another of your questions, I would know where Martjan and her daughter are. For if Martjan was wrong in her estimation of you, then I think you shall find little cooperation amongst our number."
Oct 27, 2016 8:56 pm
"Martjan and the girl are at the Semla shrine, where I said they would be, waiting with food and drink and a singer for my return. Your 'deeper reasons' are precisely what I am asking to know, and if gold does not move your tongue, I will find something that does."
Oct 27, 2016 11:36 pm
Domarc eyes Chocarz over the rim of the wineglass.

"If your singers have not sung you songs about the bonds loyalty and how it can drive men to act with no need of reward, you have hired poor singers. As for moving my tongue, my new friend over there -" Domarc points at Zangua "will tell you I speak endlessly, but say little."
Want to see if Chocarz is lying/being deceptive

Rolls

Insight check - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Oct 28, 2016 1:46 am
"Keep your gold, friend. Martjan brought us here for safety, and the more we say, the less safe we all are, you and yours included. We are here to clear Zora's father's name, and If that's not all you need to hear, you are no blood or friend of hers or her mother's, and you should send them out here now so we can take our leave."
Last edited October 28, 2016 1:47 am

Rolls

Persuasion (if needed) - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Oct 28, 2016 1:49 am
Mordred also takes no refreshments. Most human food is not to his liking.
Oct 28, 2016 4:37 am
Chorcarz gives Mordred a very sour look. "Martjan seems quite desperate to find sanctuary for her endangered offspring, and I daresay she will be gravely disappointed to find the generous offer I was about to extend to this -- to be frank, rude and ill-mannered -- child rescinded due to the poorly-considered remarks of her hired mercenaries. Whether I be blood or friend or no, it is my ward and sister's brat whose bottom warms the Throne of Innocence of late, and if the implications of that are lost on you, then I can only pity you for wandering into this ancient and noble city in such a state of ignorance. I could not care less who the girl's father is, but unless you would all prefer to be ejected swiftly from my property, you will tell me now, before we reconvene with that slippery woman and her fables, from whom is that girl Zora in danger, and why?"
Oct 28, 2016 6:36 am
Zangua spits out a piece of dried gristle and uses his fingernail to pick out something from between his teeth. "They call themselves the Six-Pronged Crown. Crafty sort, keen on the shadows and quick to bleed someone out for lookin' at them wrong. They're after some metal ball." Whatever pretense of concealing themselves is now lost on Zangua, having been inconvenienced enough to now want to get things started without the need for doublespeak.
Oct 28, 2016 11:05 am
"I hope that was worth it, friend. You may have just signed your own death warrant. You could ask the Badger King or the Five Stones Ranch about the Six-Pronged Crown." His eyes flash red with Thaumaturgy before fading back to their usual black.
Oct 28, 2016 12:40 pm
Felor watches the proceedings carefully, observing Chorcarz. As the others converse he closes his eyes and says a silent prayer: Wise Fjorgyn, lend me your insight; is this man to be trusted?

Cast Guidance and use on my Insight roll.

Rolls

Insight skill check - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Guidance roll - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Oct 28, 2016 3:08 pm
Domarc sighs and sits back.

"I feel that we have gotten off on the wrong foot. Thank you for your hospitality and welcome, Chocarz, and your indulgence in allowing armed strangers into your home. We have repaid your kindness poorly; I took your offer of gold for our knowledge as means to test where loyalties lie, and if they could be easily bought.

You fear we have brought danger with us, that threatens your House and your city, and I would not dissuade you from that thought. But that danger is not us. The group that pursues the young lady is ruthless and bold; already this morning they have tried to take her and blood has been shed. They believe she knows the location of the artifact they seek."

Do I have any knowledge of the Innocent of Hazard and what that means?

Rolls

Knowledge History check - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Oct 28, 2016 4:15 pm
Fjorgyn, as usual, isn't taking Felor's calls.

Domarc don't know much about politics, but I can repost what was previously said about the Innocent:

Quote:
But the leadership of Hazard was one of the least well understood things about it. The city was ruled by a child-potentate called the Innocent, who served for a limited term of seven years, who was advised by a Hierophant, who served for life, and these two were appointed by the ancient noble houses of Hazard according to rules that nobody but themselves were privy to.
Chorcarz listens, an increasingly bemused expression coming over his face. "The Six-Pronged Crown?" he says. "Them? I can't say this worries me much. They may have some success harrying young girls travelling alone in the countryside, but they're well-contained in Hazard, I assure you." He chuckles and takes a seat, helping himself to one of the unclaimed cups of wine. "I remember the last time they attempted one of their little excursions into the Mastaba. It only took four patrolmen to root out the lot of them, and the only one who gave them trouble was that treasure-hunter they hired, and it was his silken words, not his sword, that was the danger there. I was one of the judges who heard their trial. The perpetrators were only exiled, nothing more than simple mischief could be proven against them. It surprises me to hear they would be so bold as to shed blood in Hazard, but many years have passed, and even the mildest thief is capable of wreaking violence when pressed." He snaps his fingers. "Rolon, go fetch Madam va Locra and her daughter. I suppose they have been straightforward with me; we might as well reconvene." Rolon heads down the path. "Now, what of this artifact? A metal ball, you say?"
Oct 28, 2016 4:49 pm
Zangua nods in response to the question. "These guys know more about it," he says, tipping his head in Felor's direction. "As for the Pronged Crown, I think they beefed up their ranks since you saw 'em last. They started trailing us from Sthombo and set an unnatural metal monster after us through the Sett, and if the attack here was any indication, were waiting for our arrival."
Oct 28, 2016 5:15 pm
"You can take our warning or not, as you see fit. The 'metal ball' is the Iron Sphere of Sthombo, which Zora's father has been accused of stealing. The Six-Pronged Crown believe Zora has it, or at least knows where it is. Might we have a private place to talk with Madam va Locra and Miss Kells for a few minutes?

We are indeed grateful for your hospitality, but I urge you to take what we say about the Crown seriously. It is no laughing matter. I know that you are a powerful man of intellect, and as such it can be hard to take advice from those who appear to be your inferiors, but we are a band of seasoned adventurers, and we barely escaped from their grasp with our lives."
Oct 28, 2016 7:03 pm
"Sthombo has lost its Sphere again? We ought never to have given it back," Chorcarz chuckles. He ignores Mordred's question and watches Rolon, Martjan, and Zora approach. With impeccable timing, the servant returns with more cups and wine just as they arrive to seat themselves. Martjan casts worried looks over each of you.

"I have been getting to better know your men," says Chorcarz. "Stalwart and purpose-driven, they are. They have told me a little of your predicament. My understanding is that Zora's flight from Sthombo was precipitated by her father's theft -- excuse me, alleged theft -- of some notable heirloom? And that one of our city's own nefarious local cults has been hard at work trying to track her down to obtain the location of this stolen treasure?"

"That's correct," Martjan says, as Zora nods.

"And you wish for Zora to stay here, indefinitely, until the threat has passed?"

"At least until we know why any of this happened in the first place. They attacked us at the Trading Company, Chorcarz. From what I've been told, I don't know when this will end unless they find what they're looking for, or the cult itself is driven out of existence..." She gives a suggestive lilt to that last remark.

"These secret societies are like grease-beetles, Martjan. You know that. You can scatter them, but they always regroup and endure."

"I have no intention of staying in hiding forever," Zora says. "They want that thing for a reason. They've killed many people to get at it." She looks at her mother. "It's pretty clear to me now that Dad didn't just send me here so you could keep me safe. He wanted you to keep the Sphere safe. From them."

"We return now to the old rumors that the Iron Sphere of Sthombo is more than meets the eye, then?" Chorcarz asks.

"Yes," Martjan says, "but we still don't know what it is. Maybe Edvers thought I would have figured it out by now. But I haven't."

"It seems the safest thing to do might be to return the Sphere to the treasury of Hazard. If it could be done in such a way as to let the cult know that Zora is no longer the key to its retrieval, but not thumb the eye of Sthombo."

"She doesn't know where the Sphere is. I have...an idea where it might be hidden. That's all. But we were trying to figure out what the Sphere is, why they want it, before we take any action that might lead them to it."

"And how might you uncover this information?"

Martjan shakes her head. "I don't know. Unless you happen to know where the elementalist Pafthinel went after he left Hazard."

"I'm afraid the name is not familiar to me."

To be continued, feel free to jump in with comments/questions!
Oct 28, 2016 7:18 pm
Mordred watches Chachi carefully as he and Martjan talk. Is he trustworthy? Does he trust her? What's his whole deal?

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Oct 28, 2016 7:25 pm
Man none of you can get a bead on this guy.

Based on what he's said, you don't get the sense that Chorcarz entirely trusts Martjan, but he seems to be willing to hear her out now that he's gotten over his initial knee-jerk suspiciousness.
load next

Thread locked