Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Oct 28, 2016 7:27 pm
As the discussion continues, Zangua reaches forward for a cup of wine.
Oct 28, 2016 10:01 pm
"Without knowing what the Sphere can do or what its nature is, we cannot be entirely sure why the Pointy Hat Gang wants it. Martjan, you felt there might be clues in Horgul's prophecies, but perhaps my question is - does it matter that we understand what the Sphere does, or is it more important to understand what they think it does? The true story of the sphere may not matter as much as the story they are telling themselves.

And beyond that, how did the Sphere come to be in Hazard? Why was it returned? And if the ignorance of a traveller from Mez can be forgiven further, I would like to understand more of the role of the Innocent of Hazard."
Oct 28, 2016 10:24 pm
"Prophecies! By the stars, Martjan, what have you gotten yourself into?" Chorcarz chuckles to himself and takes a sip of wine. "Hazard and Sthombo were at war, once, long ago. Sthombo was sacked and the Sphere taken back to Hazard as a prize. We kept it a good long while, but relations eventually warmed to friendly once more, and we gave back the Sphere as a gesture of goodwill. This was all well before my time, of course, I'm not so old as that!"

"The role of the Innocent is to give voice to the will of the gods as it relates to the governance of Hazard," Martjan says. "And the Hierophant is there to...well, to massage that voice into the shape of workable policy. Whether the voice or the interpretation has more influence depends on the relative power of the families of the Innocent and the Hierophant."

"How crudely you demystify our ancient and sacred methods," Chorcarz says, sloshing the wine around in his cup.

"Forgive me," Martjan says. "As it so happens, we currently live in a time where the Innocent is the more dominant of the two. I'm sure my noble friend won't mind me saying that."

"And of course, a child needs wise and competent advisors to...better help him hear the subtle words of the gods," Chorcarz says with a knowing smile, raising his cup. "We are proud to be a kingless city. When I was a youth and little Welg Orjo failed the trials, there was talk of placing a crown on the Hierophant's head and conforming to a more conventional system of rule. We put a stop to that nonsense!" He takes another sip. "But back to the matter at hand. Might I be of any help in locating this...elementalist? Or if it is only the Crown cult's understanding of the Sphere that is relevant, perhaps you need only bait one of them out for capture, and give him over to a skilled questioner."
Oct 28, 2016 11:18 pm
Zangua shrugs, and says nothing.
Oct 29, 2016 6:21 am
OOC:
Reading back through old posts, trying to remember something, and I came across this from our run in with Adan in Beerpool:
Quote:
In response to Mordred's last question, Adan looks up thoughtfully for a moment before answering. "If you see her in Hazard, entreat her to seek refuge at the Shrine of Culsu."
Might be worth checking into, or at least asking about, the Shrine of Culsu, if we really want to get our hands on a member of the crown cult.

Also... do we know how large the sphere is? For some reason, this whole time I'd been picturing something preposterously large, like the spaceship in Flight of the Navigator, but after thinking about it, I realize it's probably much smaller than that.
"I'm afraid the cult may be much more dangerous now than you remember them being in the past." Leth speaks up, not wanting their current dilemma to be underestimated or swept aside. "Our encounters with them so far have been harrowing and disturbing - they've sent assassin's after us, managed to coerce Edvers into getting involved with the Sphere, and murdered two innocent women in Sthombo - I suspect they may have at least a small amount of influence within the authority of Sthombo itself. Among their number is a man named Adan who is responsible for the deaths of at least two people in the town of Beerpool, and he seemingly has the ability to instantaneously travel great distances with magic, or at least project an apparition of himself wherever he chooses. Adan himself is only a learner among them; he has a teacher and "masters" whose powers I could not begin to guess. They had in their employ a great and terrible metal man, I think created and driven by some foul magics, who easily killed three people in the village of five stones, and forced the rest of the village to evacuate. We ran into it in the badgerways, where it killed the shapshifting king of the tunnels, and nearly put an end to us before we were finally able to destroy it - but it was a near thing. Not to mention the fact that they seem to have an extensive network of spies and people who report to them, and they were certainly waiting for us to show up at the Trading Company, where they immediately attacked us." Leth finishes, counting off each of these instances with his fingers as he spoke.

"This is not a rag-tag group of miscreants. This is an organized, powerful cult bent on retrieving the sphere to resurrect some ancient being to seize control of Bload, and it would seem that they have the means to do so. I beg you not to brush them off; innocent people have already died on account of our underestimation of this group." He sighs.

"You say there have been other dealings with them here in hazard before - what do you know about them? Do you know who specifically they have made their dark pact with? Does their group have a name?"
Last edited October 29, 2016 12:06 pm
Oct 31, 2016 9:30 am
[post removed - didn't see the recent posts]
Last edited October 31, 2016 9:31 am
Oct 31, 2016 2:02 pm
"Chorcarz, Martjan, we have some reason to suspect that the Six-Pronged Crown has some connection with the Shrine of Culsu. What can you tell us about that?"
Oct 31, 2016 2:03 pm
I want to say we have been told that the Sphere is about 1m in diameter? Maybe that's just my own personal interpretation. Perhaps it can alter its size?
Oct 31, 2016 4:14 pm
The Iron Sphere is...
Quote:
about two and a half feet in diameter
Chorcarz listens to Leth's recounting with an increasingly wide-eyed if not fully credulous expression. "An ordeal, to be sure," he says at the end. "But not without precedent. The Order of the Golden Worm killed hundreds in their vain attempt to bring about apocalypse, and counted many dozens of warlocks and necromancers among their number. And where are they now? Extinct. Nevertheless, I will be cautious." He smiles. "As for the Six-Pronged Crown, most of what I know of them comes from the trial I previously mentioned. We did not delve deeply into the theological underpinnings of their attempted burglary. The ones who were caught implicated others, of course, but the true leadership of such groups always insulate themselves well from the loose tongues of their lower functionaries. They have done little to attract the attention of the masters of Hazard since."

Mordred inquires about the Shrine of Culsu.

Martjan looks thoughtful. "It's in the South Temple District. It's very old and quite small. I've been inside it once or twice but I can't recall much about it, I'm afraid."

"An unremarkable place," Chorcarz agrees. "It no longer has a dedicated staff. For many years now, acolytes from the Ziu-Paterian College have been assigned to hold the key and maintain the altar."
Oct 31, 2016 4:47 pm
Leth silently ponders his response for a moment.
OOC:
The Order of the Golden Worm sounds interesting - do I know anything about that?

And... might that have any connection to wormfellow from the badgerways?

Rolls

history - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

insight - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Oct 31, 2016 4:49 pm
Leth has never heard of the OotGW.
Oct 31, 2016 5:34 pm
I'm one more dismissive reply away from telling Zangua to catchpole this turd.

I'm inclined to avoid the Shrine until we know more about the Sphere and where it may be. But a stakeout to capture one of the 6PC is a possiblity.

"Another lead Martjan suggested is the elven elementalist she mentioned earlier - Pafthinel. He sailed from here on a ship called the Harikan Squall some years ago, but all records of where he might have gone are lost. Given his kind's longevity, we can assume he still lives. Do you know anyone in Hazard - other elves, perhaps - who might still be in contact with him? Mayhap there is a society or guild he would have been member of? Or might you have any idea how we could trace this untraceable ship?"

Mordred gives a look and gesture to Martjan, suggesting that she might add any pertinent information that she did not mention to the party earlier.

ETA: I hope we are saving the good rolls for combat.
Last edited October 31, 2016 5:35 pm

Rolls

History (Worm Knowledge) - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Oct 31, 2016 5:46 pm
Zangua loses his battle of willpower, and reaches for one of the pastries.
Oct 31, 2016 6:26 pm
A reminder that this guy is basically the Sheldon Adelson of Hazard, catchpoling him may, uh, result in some major shifting of narrative priorities.

Mordred has no worm knowledge.

"Hmm. There are two such beings currently taking refuge in the Temple of Isis, a mother and her daughter, I believe, from one of the forest kingdoms of Engol. My sister employs a woman whose mother was of fey blood to educate her other children, but I doubt she would be able to provide you with any useful information on this matter. There may be others, but those are the only ones to which I can personally attest. As for the ship, there is a maritime historian of great renown who advises the Archmagus of Banwod." Chorcarz turns to Martjan with a conspiratorial smile. "Mainly as a shipwreck-locator. Banwod is...very creative in finding ways to repay its debts."

Martjan raises an eyebrow. "The Parzian ingots?"

Chorcarz nods.
Oct 31, 2016 7:29 pm
Ha, no, I was being hyperbolic, I wouldn't actually attack him over his crappy attitude.

I vote for checking out the elves first.
Oct 31, 2016 9:51 pm
It would seem we have a multitude of directions to go here, and I feel like pbo is dropping potential story hooks in every comment! I want to run all of them down!

I see three options:

1. Understand the Sphere: Chase down the elf who researched it; starting with the elves in city and then going to Banwod to see what we can learn about the last voyage of the Harikan Squall.

2. Retrieve the Sphere: Find out where Martjan thinks it is, get it, and secure it.

3. Figure out the 6PC: Investigate the Shrine(?) and see what we can do to take one of the cultists alive (I know we already had one, but the timing was not...auspicious for an interrogation and we couldn't risk taking him along).

I think we could do 1 or 2 and also work towards 3 simultaneously.

If we are going to be around Hazard for a bit to talk to the elves/investigate the shrine, we should figure out a way to move about the city so that we aren't drawing 6PC interest to where Zee will be hiding
Oct 31, 2016 10:35 pm
nubs says:
It would seem we have a multitude of directions to go here, and I feel like pbo is dropping potential story hooks in every comment! I want to run all of them down!
My favorite is the one that nobody has noticed so far!
Oct 31, 2016 11:29 pm
OOC:
I knew we should have checked out that olive oil spill! :P

Is it your favorite hook because we haven't noticed it, or are you frustrated that we haven't noticed your favorite hook?

Also, because of this comment I went back a little bit and re-read some stuff in the chapter and realized we've forgotten about the tile Zora had, and the book related to it that Martjan gave away. It also mentions Culsu.

As far as what we should do next, I think we should find the sphere. The longer it's out there, the greater the chance that the bad guys could find it. OR... it could be that our attempt to find it leads the bad guys right to it, so perhaps we *should* learn more about it and determine what we will do with it before we go looking for it? I am very wary of Martjan being... harmed... before we get the chance to get it's location from her though.
Nov 1, 2016 3:04 am
Yeah, I think we need to know wtf we are going to do with this giant ball of metal before we get our hands on it. I also agree that we should encourage Martjan to tell someone where it is in case something happens.
Last edited November 1, 2016 11:49 am
Nov 1, 2016 2:44 pm
"What about the horned god Zapan? Is there any way that he or his faithful are involved with the Six-Pronged Crown or the hiding place of the Sphere at all? We couldn't help but noticing his image blazoned all over some tombs we found ourselves in beneath the city."
load next

Thread locked