Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Dec 20, 2016 11:18 pm
Darux is about halfway to you, so roughly 30' away. The guards are moving toward Adan & the rest of the party; you're further off to the northeast of their position.
Dec 21, 2016 10:17 am
Felor turns to the approaching town guard. He quickly whispers to himself "Fjorgyn, help me show them the Truth", then shouts: "Guards! Fetch Chorcarz dra Gahmez! We have captured members of the witch-cult the Six-Pointed Crown! Make haste, time is of the essence!"

Cast Guidance (cantrip) on myself, add to Persuasion check.
edit: sorry that was supposed to be 1d20 + 1d4, not 1d20+1 + 1d4, so total is 21.
Last edited December 21, 2016 10:19 am

Rolls

Persuasion with Guidance - (1d20+1, 1d4)

1d20+1 : (17) + 1 = 18

1d4 : (4) = 4

Dec 21, 2016 3:16 pm
The guards keep coming, their reaction to Felor's entreaty as yet indeterminate.

Domarc, Leth, Mordred, you're up.
Dec 21, 2016 3:25 pm
Domarc casts Healing Word on himself (bonus action). I am otherwise holding action to see what Darux does.

Because I can't figure out how else to do this in terms of timing it, if Darux attacks me, I use Cutting Words (reaction); it will take the result of a 1d6 off of an attack roll or ability check. "Your momma proud of you attacking women in the street?"

I will decide on my main action once I see what Darux does.

HP: 18/18

Edit: I guess his momma is proud of him.
Last edited December 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Rolls

Healing Word - (1d4+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Cutting Words - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Dec 21, 2016 4:49 pm
Let's just give Darux his turn and resolve this now. Disguise Self doesn't say anything about changing your voice, so I'll assume you're doing your best impression?

As Darux closes in, Domarc delivers his cutting rebuke. He can almost see a look of guilt on the man's face as he dives in for a tackle.

Edit: And of course that roll below should have a -1 penalty

Domarc, make an Athletics or Acrobatics check (your choice) to contest Darux's grapple attempt. Leth and Mordred, it's your turns!

Rolls

Darux grapple attack vs Domarc - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Dec 21, 2016 7:56 pm
Domarc attempts to slip Darux's grapple. While doing so, he screams again. "Help! Assassin!"

Edit: I'm ok this round, but should he make contact, he will likely perceive the illusion:
Disguise Self
You make yourself—including your clothing, armor, weapons, and other belongings on your person—look different until the spell ends or until you use your action to dismiss it. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller and can appear thin, fat, or in between. You can’t change your body type, so you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs. Otherwise, the extent
of the illusion is up to you.
The changes wrought by this spell fail to hold up to physical inspection. For example, if you use this spell to add a hat to your outfit, objects pass through the hat, and anyone who touches it would feel nothing or would feel your head and hair. If you use this spell to appear thinner than you are, the hand of someone who reaches out to touch you would bump into you while it was seemingly still in midair.
To discern that you are disguised, a creature can use its action to inspect your appearance and must succeed on an Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC.
Last edited December 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Rolls

Performance Check - impersonating Zora (or at least a female voice) - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Acrobatics Check - avoiding grapple - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Dec 21, 2016 8:33 pm
Domarc slips away, but this is all too much for one old man on the temple steps. "Beast! Unhand her!" he cries, bounding down the steps on wobbly legs to come to Domarc's rescue.

Leth and Mordred are up.
Dec 21, 2016 8:56 pm
OOC:
This might get messy. Well, messier.
Dec 22, 2016 2:37 am
If Leth and Mordred don't take their actions by tomorrow morning, we'll go ahead with Adan and the false acolyte's turns.
Dec 22, 2016 5:53 pm
As the false acolyte holds a supportive hand against Adan's back, he looks downward and mutters something. Adan seems to draw a deep breath, and a bit of color returns to his face. He looks at the oncoming guards, makes a subtle beckoning gesture, and whispers a few words...

Edit: "The vandals!" Adan snaps. "Put them down like the animals they are!"

"You heard him, let's get those bastards!" one of the guards shouts, holding his spear up in a ready position as he charges toward the party.

The other guard whips his head around toward his partner. "Wait, what?"

Leth and Mordred, you're up!

Rolls

Your DM is - (1d8+3)

rolling a few dice - (1d20)

behind his screen - (1d20)

Dec 23, 2016 7:29 am
OOC:
Should I roll to discern that

A) Zora is actually Domarc in disguise, and

B) the guard who wants them dead is being influenced by Adan?

Rolls

possibly rolling for meta - perception is +5, insight is +3, arcana is +2 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

perhaps I should roll once for each? - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Dec 23, 2016 10:10 am
I'm gonna say that you guys can suss out that this is Domarc playing tricks. You can have your suspicions about Adan charming the guard, but there's no way to confirm it at this point.
Dec 23, 2016 8:12 pm
Mordred swipes at Adan again and shouts, "My friend is right! These men are wanted by the authorities and their leader has ensorcelled your friend.

Sneak Attack again, if possible (allowed if the target has another opponent within 5 feet) and Cunning Action to Disengage.

Rolls

Attack Roll - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Base Damage - (1d8+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Sneak Attack Damage - (2d6)

(21) = 3

Dec 23, 2016 8:24 pm
Mordred slips in for a quick poke at Adan while his attention is on the guards, and backpedals away.

Right now the guards are coming in from the 11 o'clock position and are about thirty feet away. Domarc and Darux are at 2 o'clock about sixty feet away with the old indigent fellow jogging toward them to come to "Zora's" rescue. Adan is badly wounded but shows no signs of being ready to yield, standing before the party with the false acolyte at his back. His beetle familiar is circling in the air above. A distant bell is ringing. There are people watching this scene from the temple steps and the windows of the nearby convents.

As soon as Leth takes his turn this round will end and the next one will start, with the guards and the old man involved in the action.
Dec 23, 2016 9:41 pm
Leth hardly has time to react to Zora's unexpected arrival at the scene. What is she doing here?! He begins to move towards her when it suddenly occurs to him that Domarc had disappeared only moments ago, and also possesses the ability to change his appearance. He glances back to see how Adan would react, when suddenly,
BullOctorok says:
"You heard him, let's get those bastards!" one of the guards shouts, holding his spear up in a ready position as he charges toward the part
"Wait, what?" Leth asks, echoing the other guard, and looking just as incredulous. Did he… is Adan doing that? He’s not sure, but the guard did seem to be acting out of order, and Adan had done some suspicious-looking hand waving. Leth quickly gathers himself and shouts:

"No, wait, we're under the protection of Chorcarz dra Gahmez! He has given us sanctuary! We were just here to see the temple, and we were attacked by this lot!" He says gesturing broadly to Adan and his crew. "He's trying to possess your minds with sorcery!" He finishes, pointing to the guards.
OOC:
I'm going to assume all that talking leaves me no time for an action other than moving a bit towards Domarc and Darux... which is fine, since Leth would probably not want to provoke the guards any more than they already have
Last edited December 23, 2016 9:43 pm
Dec 23, 2016 9:53 pm
Since we're all a little all over the place over the holidays, I'm messing with the initiative order to make things flow as smoothly as possible.

"Hordon, wait, wait! We need to break them up for questioning! Not lethal! Not lethal!" the one guard shouts, ineffectually, as his partner makes a beeline for Mordred, thrusting with his spear.

The false acolyte keeps murmuring, sliding his hands down Adan's back.

Edit: The spear glances off Mordred's barkskin. The first guard throws his torch to the ground as he catches up to his combative partner and grabs him by the shoulder, holding his own spear out warily in Adan's direction. "We need backup," he mutters to himself, then shouts at the top of his lungs: "MELEE IN THE PLAZA! MELEE IN THE PLAZA! ALL ASSIST! ALL ASSIST!"

Some of the people watching the scene unfold start shouting back at the guards, offering their own opinions as to who the guards should assume to be the worse threat. A door slams, and a woman wrapped in a blue blanket and wearing a golden tiara over long, mussed hair starts running towards the party from a dwelling-house attached to Erat's temple.

While all this is going on, the old man reaches Domarc's side and swings a wild haymaker at Darux.

Edit 2: The old man lands a solid punch to Darux's jaw. Darux reels for a moment, then swings back with a backhanded upward sweep of his scimitar.

Edit 3: Darux slices the old man from his chest up through his neck. The old man's jaw drops, blood gushing from his mouth and the wound. His legs give and he falls to the side. An angry cry goes up from the temple steps, and suddenly more of the folk gathered there -- three, four, five people -- start charging down towards Domarc and Darux.

Any party member may take an action now.

Rolls

City guard spear attack vs Mordred - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Mystery roll - (1d8+3)

Old man initiative - (1d20-1)

(6) - 1 = 5

Old man fist attack vs Darux - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Darux scimitar attack vs old man - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Damage, if applicable - (1d6+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Dec 23, 2016 10:20 pm
"Murderer!" Domarc-as-Zora screams, backing away from Darux. "The cult of the Six Pointed Crown is murdering innocents!"
Dec 23, 2016 11:07 pm
Zangua presses his attacks on Adan, smashing with his club and the poll of his handaxe.

Rolls

Club vs Adan, Knockout Damage - (1d20+6, 1d4+4)

1d20+6 : (12) + 6 = 18

1d4+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Handaxe vs Adan, Knockout Damage - (1d20+6, 1d6+4)

1d20+6 : (19) + 6 = 25

1d6+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Improved Critical on Handaxe - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Dec 24, 2016 1:57 am
The less-aggressive guard tries to wedge himself between Zangua and Adan as Zangua batters the cultist about the head and shoulders, leaving him with a split lip and a swollen eye. "Stand down, man, stand down!" the guard shouts. "This ends now!" With the guard interposing, Adan and his acolyte back up a little more.

"You will cease fighting at once and lay down your arms!" the woman running over from Erat's temple cries in a loud, commanding voice. "In the name of the gods most high and the laws of Hazard, there will be no more blood shed in this place!"

"Mercy, Mater, mercy!" Adan moans. "I only sought to right a wrong! They tried to murder me!"

"It is as he says!" the false acolyte yells.

Felor, Leth, and Mordred, you can take your actions now.
Dec 24, 2016 2:36 am
OOC:
Am I allowed to speak after I've taken my turn?
load next

Thread locked