Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Jan 5, 2017 5:55 pm
"I begin to understand why you were all tight lipped and reluctant when you first came to the Trading Company," Domarc says, looking at the bodies on the cart. "It does seem that everyone even slightly touched by this tale is at risk, even those we try to shield by limiting their involvement. Heroism is clean and simple in the stories, but rarely so in real life." He takes a deep breath, smelling the soot and ash. "We likely shouldn't linger here, lest we attract more attention. But I am at a loss as to where to go. Chorcarz does not seem welcoming, though at least Zora still seems to be under his protection."
Quote:
The woman bows her head and stops, allowing the procession to continue on to the House of Cron without her.
Domarc quietly walks up beside her. "He has lost much this night, and anger comes from that. Whatever business you bring him, give him time if you can. Decisions made in the midst of anger and grief are often wrong."
Jan 5, 2017 6:13 pm
The woman gives Domarc a sidelong glance. "He is the Gahmez patriarch, his business waits for nothing. But I came only to offer condolences on behalf of the Hierophant."
Jan 5, 2017 6:13 pm
With the crowd dispersal etc, I'll just assume that I didn't get much out of the Ibetbal group talking about Gorham. Vhezyen also wasn't sure it would be wise to mention that he himself had met Gorham in the past, and knew him by name.

Vhezyen lingered, curious as to what could be pieced together between himself and this most curious group of individuals he had recently met. They were clearly part of something greater, or so it seemed. Drawn out of contemplation by Chorcarz's frustration at the woman, he cast about for the group, and noticed the tiefling. Certain that he, and his companions, were attempting to wrap their minds around recent events, Vhezyen approached him, seeking to somehow replace questions with answers.

"Have you found something? All I could gather from the crowd was that a man named 'Gorham' seems involved in the attack. Gavrel Gorham. I know of him, from my younger years." Lost in thought for a moment, in the recesses of time, he caught himself.

"Please, allow me to introduce myself. Vhezyen Khagbal. I am an academic by trade." Remembering the tiefling's honesty when they first met, he elaborated. "And a dabbler in the arcane arts." He grinned, reaching out to shake hands as part of introduction. "Although recently, I have reinvented myself. I suppose you could say I'm an archaeologist now, eager to trade the libraries I've long cherished for experience in the field."
Jan 5, 2017 6:24 pm
Yeah, the people Vhezyen talked to didn't really know anything about Gorham, they'd just overheard the name.
Jan 5, 2017 7:08 pm
Quote:
It's a short length of string with several knots in it.
Does that mean anything to Mordred? And can he tell what it is wet with?
Last edited January 5, 2017 7:08 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jan 5, 2017 7:21 pm
"Do you live here in Hazard, Vhezyen? My friends and I are in need of somewhere to stay, and if you know anything about anyone tied to this attack, we should talk somewhere private. Though I must warn you, as my friend says, people that get involved with this mystery find themselves dead on a surprisingly regular basis."
Jan 5, 2017 7:21 pm
Mordred does not yet reveal the string to anyone, for what it's worth.
Jan 5, 2017 7:23 pm
The string is wet with spit. It was in her mouth.

Mordred isn't sure what to make of it. It's about seven inches long, with eight knots in it, spaced irregularly. Some of the knots are simple, others are somewhat elaborate.
Jan 5, 2017 8:12 pm
Is this a string of Yllish story knots? I literally just read the Kingkiller Chronicles over the holidays.
Jan 5, 2017 8:21 pm
Metaknowledge! HISSSSSSS

Mordred is bright enough to understand that the string is surely intended to communicate something and Zora didn't just give it to him for funsies, but knot code is not anything he's familiar with, nor anything Zora ever spoke to him about.
Jan 5, 2017 9:41 pm
Quote:
The woman gives Domarc a sidelong glance. "He is the Gahmez patriarch, his business waits for nothing. But I came only to offer condolences on behalf of the Hierophant."
Domarc pauses for a moment. "I do not know Chorcarz well, but he strikes me as a man who might be looking for the political angle behind your presence at this time and in this place, though I have no doubt your message is free of any such intent.

"If you would be so kind, however, please tell Gethro that the Pointy Hat Gang was behind tonight's actions - if he doesn't already know this. I believe the city guard may have two of their members in custody as a result of an incident tonight near the Temple of Ziu-Pater. Tell him that we still wish to avoid any appearance of intrigue, but look forward to talking again soon, if he thinks it prudent."

See also Quipu
Jan 6, 2017 1:08 am
rocksteady says:
"Do you live here in Hazard, Vhezyen? My friends and I are in need of somewhere to stay, and if you know anything about anyone tied to this attack, we should talk somewhere private.
Octo, perhaps Vhezyen could figure out some accommodations? Being a part time resident in Hazard for stretches at a time, is there somewhere Vhezyen would know of that would take them in? I've assumed that when he is in Bload, he most likely stays at the temple. Is it plausible they would be welcome as guests there (not exactly private, though)? I know he's not exactly a socialite, but I'd like to think after a dozen years of back and forth, he might know someone who could house them for the night.

Beyond that, I'm fine with an inn or the like as well. A quiet room with hushed talk would allow for the group to exchange notes, so to speak.
Jan 6, 2017 2:02 am
I was thinking Vhezyen's residence in Hazard would have to be in one of the temple dormitories. You could talk privately there, but there wouldn't be sleeping accommodations for the rest of the party. And these guys have been awake for how long now?

Vhezyen would probably suggest the party get rooms at the Caryatid, an old and spacious inn near the Temple District. The proprietor shares his interest in historical curiosities and has a son attending the seminary attached to the Temple of Thoth, so Vhezyen knows her fairly well.
Jan 6, 2017 2:12 am
OOC:
The Kingkiller Chronicles are my favorite books. I need to re-read them soon...
Leth glances at Vhezyen. He had heard him asking questions earlier, but amid all the commotion and the urgency of the moment, he hadn't bothered to pay him much attention; but now he's claiming to know the man that abducted Martjan.

People acquainted with our enemies who aren't also trying to kill us are rare... Seems like he could be worth talking to. Leth decides, and then is suddenly hit with a wave of exhaustion. As a huntsman, he is no stranger to being awake for long periods of time, or at unusual times, but today had been an exhausting day, and he is beginning to feel the need for rest. He agrees with Mordred, saying, "It does seem that an exchange of information is in order, but not here or now. We should first find ourselves a place to stay, and get some rest. It's been a long day."
Jan 6, 2017 2:47 am
rocksteady says:
"Do you live here in Hazard, Vhezyen? My friends and I are in need of somewhere to stay, and if you know anything about anyone tied to this attack, we should talk somewhere private. Though I must warn you, as my friend says, people that get involved with this mystery find themselves dead on a surprisingly regular basis."
"Worry not about my death, friend. It would simply be a new beginning, would it not?" Vheyzen pondered for a moment. "Regarding lodgings, I believe I can help you. When in Hazard, I myself reside at the temple of Thoth, and although I unfortunately cannot offer you rest at the dormitories, I can, however, recommend an excellent inn, the Caryatid. It's an antiquated establishment, with more than enough room, near the temple district. I know the proprietor quite well, and believe we would find the accommodations and amenities provided more than suitable to meet our needs."

Vhezyen could see that the man with the bow, a woodsman it would seem, was exhausted. He imagined the others might be as well. "Perhaps we could gather your friends, and make our way there soon? I am a glutton for mysteries and the unknown, and would hear more of your tales regarding devils and the like."
Jan 6, 2017 10:05 am
Felor yawns and wishes he'd prepared a "Summon Caffiene" ritual last time the party rested, whenever that was. He's having trouble remembering.
"An inn with a trustworthy keeper would be most welcome, friend. I feel there is not much more we can accomplish without first resting."
Last edited January 6, 2017 10:05 am
Jan 6, 2017 12:31 pm
A couple of quick questions about the Bloadian underworld before Mordred retires for the night: 1. Can I assume that Hazard has a Thieves' Guild or similar? 2. If so, would Mordred know how/where to find it? 3. If he finds it, would they be inclined to offer assistance to a card-carrying member of the Sthombo Thieves' Guild? Obviously, he wouldn't know for sure, but he might know that there was generally a custom of cooperation across the land...
Jan 6, 2017 12:51 pm
Vhezyen has contacts at the Hazard thieves' guild. He started life as a burglar, not to mention that his recent career change, leaving the libraries and studies behind to become a field archaeologist (aka treasure hunter) prompted him to reestablish those connections, paving the way to fence any future treasures he might 'discover'. However, I'm guessing they're not the kind of organization that puts you up for the night, if that's what you're going for. To me, it seems like an organization based more on greed and profit than a helping hand and solidarity.
Last edited January 6, 2017 12:51 pm
Jan 6, 2017 3:30 pm
He's actually looking for someone he can ask about the knotted thread (other than his old friend Kvothe) without letting anyone know about it - even the rest of the party - and is hoping they have a language expert or cryptologist hanging around. Given how easily the Six-Pronged Crown is able to track them, he is absolutely paranoid about infosec at this point.
Jan 6, 2017 3:34 pm
Mordred could probably make contact with the Hazard thieves' guild with or without Vhezyen's help; how they'd feel about trusting and helping a tiefling from Sthombo is anyone's guess.
load next

Thread locked