Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Jan 9, 2017 6:11 pm
Domarc raises an eyebrow at the mention of a string, but says nothing.

"Privacy might be good. Though I will observe that when we broke our fast together yesterday, these men had not slept."
Jan 9, 2017 7:37 pm
We can handwave you all into one of your rooms upstairs; go ahead and assume you can speak without fear of being eavesdropped on.
Jan 9, 2017 8:21 pm
Also this chapter will end when you people finally decide to GO TO SLEEP. But we should see what Mordred's going to do about being semi-confronted about the string first.
Jan 9, 2017 8:25 pm
So, you're saying we're being strung along? Or perhaps hanging by a thread?
Jan 9, 2017 8:42 pm
nubs says:
So, you're saying we're being strung along? Or perhaps hanging by a thread?
OOC:
Wah-wah.

To be honest, given everything that's just happened, Leth is way more suspicious of Vehzyen than Mordred (He knows Gorham, he keeps prodding the party for information, he left the table and went outside immediately upon getting that information, and he knows stuff about Mordred that Mordred hasn't shared with us... given everything that's happened to the party so far in this adventure, that's a lot of red flags to Leth) but I'm trying to consider whether he would speak up about it to his face or not...
Jan 9, 2017 9:06 pm
Should I throw you guys a random combat encounter as a trust-building exercise?
Jan 9, 2017 9:08 pm
OOC:
Worked well for Shamush and Zangua's introductions.
Jan 9, 2017 10:13 pm
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

*snort*

Felor starts awake as something occurs to him. He retrieves some items from his pack and heads over to Vhezyen.

"You seem like a man who knows his artefacts and mystical items. Any idea what these are?" Felor produces a copper vial sealed with red wax, and a set of five copper rings. "I know the rings have some sort of enchantment."
Last edited January 9, 2017 10:41 pm
Jan 9, 2017 11:17 pm
Some thoroughness, in the interest of moving things along...
thedandyman says:
Leth is way more suspicious of Vehzyen than Mordred (He knows Gorham, he keeps prodding the party for information
Makes sense, although he admitted to knowing Gorham, which seems counterproductive to earning trust (which is why he kept it to himself when conversing with NPC's during the fire). In fact, him admitting he knew Gorham was a leap of faith ("I know this guy, who apparently is bad news. Maybe I can help?"). In the end, Vhezyen shares because it's bound to happen, sooner or later. The sharing of info helps the group, and once I can RP someone who knows the whole story, the sooner I can legitimately help connect the dots.

Anyway, much like Rocksteady's RPing his character, I'm RPing mine, who has the tools to get answers, and given the situation, thought it extremely wise to use them, for RP reasons already mentioned. Vhezyen was blunt about his knowledge of the string from Zora, etc. because he's (1) not shy, and (2) as a player, it seemed like the 'string' was vital to work out.

RP wise, I get why Leth would be suspicious of Vhezyen. He's the new guy. What Vhezyen can't get, and unsettles him a bit, is why Mordred would keep things from a group he's faced near death with (Badgerways, and at the Shrine when he was put down to zero HP, IIRC).

Ultimately, the reason Vhezyen is so outgoing and 'keeps prodding' is that as a player, I'm trying to expedite the 'new character to the group, introduction/information exchange, okay yes we're going to adventure together process' and get caught up to speed. I like RP, but I'm fine with skipping over a lot of that, for the sake of getting back to the story. But it's RP, so I get it. It's all in good fun. As I write this, I have to admit I prefer dungeons to politics, which explains why I might be trying to expedite things.

I used Detect Thoughts to get Mordred's surface thoughts so we could move on and avoid...

notinventedhere says:
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.
It seemed Mordred had what the rest of us needed to move forward with any kind of meaning, and initially I was just waiting for him to drop the dice on that Insight roll Octo requested. When I checked the game late on Saturday night, the Insight roll was still hanging, and I figured Vhezyen had the tools to help advance the plot, so why not? The longer the 'secret thread' stayed secret, the longer it seemed we would be fumbling around in the dark.

And, if we have to have a random combat encounter as a trust-building exercise, I guess that's what we have to do. It's what the dice are for anyway :) Although, in the interest of moving the story along, I wouldn't mind avoiding it.

And that's pretty much it. In the end, I'm trying to get to the next stage, where we get back to the adventure. And the string seems to be a key component in our being able to do so.
Jan 9, 2017 11:24 pm
We can move forward even if Mordred decides not to disclose the string to anyone for now, but I want to find out what he's going to do before we wrap this chapter.
Jan 9, 2017 11:25 pm
Always intrigued by artifacts and other rare objects, especially those thought to be enchanted or otherwise magical, Vhezyen places them carefully on the bed, and examines them, cautiously avoiding incidental magical effects as he discerns their nature and implementation.

Vhezyen will use Identify as a ritual, always prepared as part of his Knowledge domain from Thoth.
Jan 9, 2017 11:26 pm
BullOctorok says:
We can move forward even if Mordred decides not to disclose the string to anyone for now, but I want to find out what he's going to do before we wrap this chapter.
You and me both :)
Last edited January 9, 2017 11:26 pm
Jan 10, 2017 12:00 am
Identify won't work on the sealed vial, as you aren't touching whatever's inside.

Vhezyen studies the rings, sensing through the ritual a sort of magical vacuity...as if the only enchantment in them is the barest numinous architecture for enchantment itself...and yet, the form of the metal itself forms a conductive loop, allowing the magic to--

The answer hits him. They're Rings of Spell Storing, empty of charge.
Jan 10, 2017 1:31 am
Nice. Those will rings will come in handy.

By the way, as long as we're on utility, I was thinking that Continual Flame (2nd Level Cleric) might be useful to cast on some of the party's gear. It would be especially useful to cast on real torches, allowing them to be stowed/concealed in backpacks, hiding their light, but looking like regular torch light when taken out. I didn't get it as a Wizard spell as I knew Felor had access to it.

Ezeriah says:

Continual Flame

2nd-level Evocation (Cleric, Wizard)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: VSMgp
Duration: Until dispelled

A flame, equivalent in brightness to a torch, springs forth from an object that you touch. The effect looks like a regular flame, but it creates no heat and doesn't use oxygen. A continual flame can be covered or hidden but not smothered or quenched.
Jan 10, 2017 4:42 am
I think you're RP'ing Vehzyen perfectly; I have no problems with anything you've done so far. That's all logical; it just seems suspicious to Leth. As a player I think it's great; I want to know what's up with the string and get to what's next as much as you do

I actually think that while Leth would have preferred that Mordred at least give them some kind of hint as to what he was doing/where he was going, he understands the need for extreme secrecy, especially if this could turn out to be something very important. The need to keep information from the 6PC is a top priority, and we haven't exactly had time to discuss any of tonight's events at length in a safe/private place until just now, so he's not really distrustful of or annoyed at Mordred much at all, especially having spent so much time with him, as you noted, and knowing how deeply Zora trusts him. If Zora gave him something and he chose not to immediately disclose that with the group, he'd be a little annoyed with being kept in the dark, but ultimately he trusts Mordred's instinct, as long as he lets the group know about it soon when they get a chance to talk in private - like once we get in our rooms.
Last edited January 10, 2017 4:43 am
Jan 10, 2017 9:34 am
What's the difference between Continual Flame and Light? I remember reading a bunch of different "create light" type spells at different levels but I don't quite understand why wouldn't just use Light (which is a cantrip) all the time.

re: the rings, PBO can you specify the exact functionality?

Also, I read that you can identify potions by taking a sip - is that correct and can we do that with the sealed vial?
Last edited January 10, 2017 9:35 am
Jan 10, 2017 12:47 pm
Mordred narrows his eyes at his the party's new friend. "I'm afraid I don't know what you are talking about, Vezhyen." He raises his eyebrows and glances about. "But even if I did, I would be hesitant to discuss it out loud, when certain forces have been able to track our every move since before we left Sthombo."

He places the knotted string on the bed.

Belated Insight, if it is still relevant.
Last edited January 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Jan 10, 2017 2:01 pm
Spells can be cast into these rings and discharged later. It's strange to find a set of five like this. You can't be sure of their capacity.

Domarc experiences a flash of recognition when he sees the knotted string on the bed.
Jan 10, 2017 2:31 pm
Vhezyen raises an eyebrow, then nods, taking Mordred's implied meaning. The point here was to play along, as if unwanted ears were listening in on their conversation. Vhezyen spoke even softer, to show respect for Mordred's concern, although the group had already been speaking in hushed tones. "I see. However, we have the privacy of this room. Beyond this, only powerful magic could be used to spy on us." He glanced around the room, addressing all. "If that's the case, then our efforts to be clandestine are in vain. Such magic would allow them not only to hear us, but to see as well, from any distance on this plane of existence."

With that, Vhezyen picks up the knotted string, thoughtful. "If we are being spied upon in this manner, there may be something we can do to avoid passing knowledge to our enemies." Turning it over in his hands, he thoroughly examines the knotted string, paying close attention for any clues it might hold.

Even though Vhezyen doubts the group is being watched, he's new to the situation so respects the possibility. As such, he attempts to discern the meaning of the knotted string to the best of his ability. I'll use my last Portent roll of 18, along with whatever is appropriate: Arcana, History, Investigation (all +10), coming out to a 28. Also, whatever info Vhezyen gets he can put on paper using the 'Illusory Script' ritual, making sure only those present can read the words, no matter who is watching.

I had the above typed up before I saw Octo's post about Domarc's recognition, so might as well drop it in, as it might support or elaborate on what Domarc discerns. I was wondering when we'd get to this (I didn't know Domarc was Mezian until he dropped the clue during breakfast!).
Jan 10, 2017 2:50 pm
notinventedhere says:
What's the difference between Continual Flame and Light?
You can only have one Light cantrip running at a time (it ends if you cast it again), and it only lasts for an hour. Continual Flame lasts until dispelled, which means you can also throw whatever object that you targeted with the spell in your backpack until it's needed again, concealing the light. It would prove useful in situations where spells can't be cast, or it's too windy to light up a torch. Also, cast it on the ends of torches, and Continual Flame looks/acts like part of the torch, natural flame, minus the heat and need for oxygen (helping avoid suspicion of magic if we encounter someone, rather than them seeing an unnaturally glowing object). Also, Continual Flame illuminates as well as Light.

I'm not concerned about Vhezyen in the dark, but I thought this would be a useful tool, especially for those without access to spells to have a reliable light source, even though it would still be a good idea for real torches and tinder to be on hand (you never know when magic might not work, or you'd need real fire).
Last edited January 10, 2017 2:51 pm
load next

Thread locked