Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Jun 21, 2016 9:38 pm
Why does she want to know about my mother?

Vad waits for a small break in the others' conversations before introducing himself.

"Vad Fekete, Your Majesty." he starts as he gives a low respectful bow. "As for my mother, well, I assume she's still ashamed of me for becoming an entertainer."
Jun 21, 2016 11:54 pm
The Queen turns away from Mordred to look squarely at Vad.

"Does she have cause to be ashamed? Do something entertaining," she commands.
Jun 22, 2016 12:25 am
Not missing an opportunity to show off a bit, Vad waves his hand in front of him, producing a small floating blue orb. Reaching into the orb he extracts a deck of cards with his right hand and rifles the deck into the air. "Ace of Spades!" he yells, his left hand searching for his dagger. Shit! It's not on me! he panics, as cards rain down harmlessly on the ground.

Dejected he looks up at the queen, "Well, I guess she does have cause..." he responds to her question about his mother.
Jun 22, 2016 12:29 am
Zangua leans over to Zora and whispers, "I don't get it."
Jun 22, 2016 4:27 am
Leth is thoroughly uncomfortable with this whole situation. He feels helpless without his bow, and to be subject to the whims of this possibly insane... person...? is a bit more than he is used to dealing with. It doesn't help that he has been feeling stifled and cramped lately due to being stuck underground for so long. He is itching to get back to the surface world - to trees, and sunshine, and open plains - and he fears that if he speaks, his impatience might get the best of him. So for now he keeps his mouth shut and determines not to speak unless he is first spoken to directly.
Jun 22, 2016 9:01 am
Felor rolls his eyes at Vad's failed conjuring.
"My mother taught me how to use wittlemore leaves to staunch bleeding, how to find scorchmoss - that one's good for burns, and how to prepare starflower tea to treat a fever. She taught me a great many things about healing. She also said that Fjorgyn was, in many ways, mother to all of us who hail from the mountains."
Last edited June 22, 2016 9:20 am
Jun 22, 2016 2:36 pm
Since their arrival, Shamush has seemed positively enchanted with this weird, dank shithole. His sense of wonder hasn't been dampened by the loss of his weapons or his constant sneezing. He looks at the various sorts of fungus with a curious hunger, murmuring to himself all the while.

He steps forward to the queen, eyes gleaming with excitement. A violent sneeze flows awkwardly into a respectful bow and then he proclaims, "My Highness, er, Your Lady, I am Shamush! My mother squatted down in an alley and dropped me in the dust of the city of Darcra and I never knew her." He says this with a sort of perverse pride, then continues with earnest fervour, "The potent mystics known as the Selves Horizonists (Pure Sect of the Unbroken Line [Communionist Branch]) took me in and served as my family. I suckled on the teat of the Blessed Goat Oracular and her milk nourished me and transformed me into a seeker! You and your home here would seem to contain truth's bounty and I am at your service if you would but share a bit of your mind-opening ambrosia!"
Jun 22, 2016 3:59 pm
The Queen frowns at Vad's botched parlor trick, listens to Felor and repeats Fjorgyn's name a few times, and smiles broadly at Shamush's introduction, her solid brown eyes shining.

"Welcome, seeker! Take what you will of the white mold, milk of my own mother. It always grows in plentitude for those who hunger, ache, or fret, and never is scarce no matter how many partake of it. Perhaps you will stay. Perhaps you will persuade the lying girl you serve to stay and daughter herself to a better mother, a mother who does not hide herself in a diseased tomb."

Zora looks worried.
Jun 22, 2016 4:16 pm
"So you know something," Zangua says plainly. "About her, and what she seeks."
Jun 22, 2016 5:41 pm
"I know there is a disease in Hazard. A disease that has festered without symptom for a very, very long time. It wants to eat its way into the foundation of the city, the stilled heart, the life-in-death of Ilhaz himself, and it tries to spread its infection now, it tries now because it sees a path it never saw before. The mother you seek, the mother of this girl-who-is-not-Marjo-Gull, is she a vector of this disease? A victim? An antidote?" The Queen shrugs. "You will not show this disease a way into my mother's house. This disease is silence, this disease is control, this disease is the order that kills chaos and without chaos we are nothing, we are nothing, we are pieces on a game board, we are mathematics, are are dead to ourselves. The passage to Hazard is sealed. Why should I break it open for a liar?"
Jun 22, 2016 5:57 pm
"She did not lie to you, your majesty, but to the so-called King. The same King that we recently left for dead. My friend is not trying to deceive, but rather to remain concealed, as she has been hunted. I suspect that this disease you speak of is the same power behind those that hunt her. We also wish to keep this disease from extending its prongs into your house, and the faster you let us pass through, the better."

Mordred looks for the Queen's reaction to the word "prongs" and tries to remember anything about Ilhaz.

ETA: I hope I am saving the good rolls for combat.
Last edited June 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Arcana - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Persuasion - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Jun 22, 2016 5:58 pm
"Perhaps an exception can be made? We only want passage through, and seek not to return. The way can be sealed again once we are past?" asks Zangua. "Will an exchange of service be acceptable?"
Jun 22, 2016 6:16 pm
Mordred vaguely recalls "Ilhaz" as the name of the legendary founder of Hazard, but he can't recall much of the story. Something about giants fighting in the river?

The Queen gives no immediate non-verbal reaction to Mordred's reference to "prongs," but she does fix her gaze on him and say: "You all are concealing a great deal from me, still."

A voice sounds in your heads, as when Wizard spoke with the statue in town: Are you in danger, sister?

"I don't know," the Queen says.

Shall I come to you?

"Not yet. I will give them one last chance to explain themselves and reveal their true and full purpose." She glares sullenly at you all.

Zora gathers herself. "Your maj--"

"I HAVE TOLD YOU TWICE ALREADY, I DO NOT SPEAK TO LIARS!" the Queen screams.
Jun 22, 2016 6:31 pm
"What would you have from us, your majesty? Our friend - Zora Kells - is hunted because of something her father did. The powerful people that hunt her think she knows more than she truly does. Our only clue - an instruction from her late father - sends us to Hazard, perhaps to clear his name, perhaps to merely convince them that Zora does not have what they seek. We have fought our way into these tunnels in an attempt to reach Hazard, but we have no desire to do you or your people any harm. We just want to get to Hazard. What more can we tell you?"
Jun 22, 2016 6:32 pm
"If we're taking a vote, I vote we tell her all we know, little as that may be." Leth mutters.
OOC:
eta: Just saw rocksteady's post. Leth would have said that before Mordred, or not at all
Last edited June 22, 2016 6:34 pm
Jun 22, 2016 6:40 pm
"Tell her everything," Zora whispers, her voice tight. "Just tell her everything."
Jun 22, 2016 6:45 pm
Zangua folds his arms. He looks around for a possible source of that disembodied voice.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Jun 22, 2016 6:47 pm
The voice seems to come from the statues of the black dog with copper eyes; there was one in town and one in the Queen's throne room.
Jun 22, 2016 7:01 pm
Felor tries to recall any knowledge on the subject of black dogs with copper eyes.

Rolls

History/Religion skill check (same modifier) - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Jun 22, 2016 7:03 pm
Mordred metaphorically texts a link to the first three chapters to the Queen.
load next

Thread locked