Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Jul 1, 2016 9:46 pm
The tunnel finally ends at a dense wall made up of some white fibrous substance.

"Here we are," Grimzo says, his tone noticeably less jovial than you'd all come to get used to. "Might want to step back a little."

He drops to one knee, removes his backpack, and takes out a small wooden folding stool, which he sets on the ground, and a small black figurine of a dog with copper eyes, which he sets on the stool.

"We are here," Grimzo says in a barely audible whisper. "Come forth, come forth. Your sister wills it. Your mother permits it. Come forth, Wigludru, come forth."

Your torches flicker as something like a great cold shadow passes over you. The stool tips over, and the dog figurine is no longer there. Grimzo draws a sharp breath.

Something massive and black coalesces next to the white wall. You can't make out its exact form, but it starts to move: armlike shadows rear back and swing down hard into the wall. White dust and rootlike fragments spray out as the shadow tears into the wall with rapid, unrelenting blows.

Would anybody like to do or say anything while the shadow-thing is attacking the wall?
Jul 1, 2016 11:39 pm
Considering his recent past encounters with a shapeshifting man-badger, nearly indestructible man-thing, and a truth-divining woman-fungus, Zangua barely bats an eye as the hulking shadow smashes through a wall.
Jul 3, 2016 3:50 am
OOC:
Nothing to say to the shadow, but it just occurred to me that we could maybe ask Grimzo about "wormfellow" before we leave him behind for good?
Jul 3, 2016 3:57 am
Flipping a dagger Vad merely watches as the figure attacks the wall.
Jul 4, 2016 8:34 am
"Incredible..." Felor mutters to himself. He liked to think he had a good knowledge of The Werld's religions and gods, but this... dog spirit? was new to him. As the shape continues to dig through the fungus wall, a thought occurs to him and Felor steps over to Grimzo.
"Tell me, friend, do you know anything of a "wormfellow"? We saw some graffitti after we first entered this underground network."
Jul 4, 2016 3:03 pm
Shamush watches the spectacle with wide-eyed appreciation. He whispers loudly to Grimzo, "You must feel a lot of, er, civic pride, seeing this sort of thing, huh? I love your fantastic cult town!"
Jul 5, 2016 3:51 pm
To your questions, Grimzo holds up a finger for silence while the shadow does its work.

At last, when a hole of sufficient size for the part to pass through has been torn through the wall, the shadow stops. It turns briefly, and you see two glowing, copper-colored eyes glaring malevolently at you, and then the shadow seems to fold in on itself, and a chill wind blows down the tunnel. Reflexively, all of you shudder and close your eyes.

When you open them again Grimzo is hurriedly gathering the figurine and the stool up, placing them back in his backpack. As soon as he's done, he wheels around to face Mordred. "Don't say his name again. He's the Lady's brother. That's all you need to know. Alright? And he's done his part." He spreads his hands, palms down, in a gesture of done-ness. He looks to Felor. "Who'd you say? 'Wormfellow?' Never heard of him. We don't truck much with folk from the Sett." He waves his arm toward the hole in the wall. "Anyway, there you have it. I go no farther. Just keep heading southward, should be a more or less linear path til you get to the crypts. If you see anything that looks like an interesting detour...don't take it." He grins, but in the aftermath of Wigludru's summoning, his grin has lost some of its prior insouciance. "Good luck to you all."
Jul 5, 2016 5:36 pm
Zangua nods his appreciation, a silent thank-you. He hefts the catchpole and steps through the hole in the wall, eyes peering into the darkness.

"Felor, give us a torch," he asks of the cleric, referring to the earlier trick of Light.
Jul 7, 2016 6:23 pm
Anything anyone wants to do here before pressing on to the crypts under Hazard?
Jul 8, 2016 10:02 am
Let's rock and roll.
Last edited July 8, 2016 10:02 am
Jul 8, 2016 10:03 am
Felor nods at Zangua and mumbles a cantrip, causing the end of his spear to glow brightly.
Jul 8, 2016 4:27 pm
I have some mapping to do, so as you make your way through the dank subterranean passage that leads beneath Hazard, it's time for another ABILITY CHECK THROWDOWN Y'ALL

The rules, in case anyone forgot:
Quote:
We are going to do something here that I picked up from CowboyCentaur's 5e game on Twitter, I can't remember what he called it, so I'm just going to refer to it as an Ability Check Throwdown:

1. Each one of you gets to make an ability check of your choice. You invent the justification for doing so. I.E. you do an Animal Handling check to catch a snake bare-handed, you do a Nature check to identify a plant you can eat, you do an Acrobatics check to hop up on a boulder to get a better look into the distance, whatever. Your DM will determine whether the checks succeed or not by assigning a difficulty rating after you make your ability check roll.

2. Each of you can do this twice, but unless everybody else has already gone, you can't roll two times in a row, you have to wait for somebody else to make a check before you can go again.

3. The winner of the Ability Check Throwdown will be determined by DM discretion, but the success of your checks will be a major factor. The prize is the temporary favor of the Old Gods of Bload, which you can cash in for Advantage on any one future roll of your choice.

4. The Throwdown is over in 48 hours, or after everybody has made two checks, whichever comes first. Good luck
You are in a very long, fairly linear, underground tunnel of varying composition and terrain. You will pass through rocky natural caves, smooth bores, and cramped manmade passages. Feel free to make use of any geological or other features these bring to mind as inspiration for your rolls.
Jul 8, 2016 4:40 pm
Zangua parkours along the terrain, not only to gain vantage points to scout the path ahead, but also to poke the catchpole into any nooks and crannies that might hold a creature in ambush.

Much of his travel is in silence. Zangua considers the Zapanim name and his mind starts to wander as he imagines what they'd find in the crypts, besides corpses.

Rolls

Acrobatics all over the tunnels - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

History of the Zapanim - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jul 8, 2016 5:12 pm
Mordred takes advantage of Zangua's flips and rolls as a distraction and quietly creeps ahead of him in one of the larger tunnels to see if he can get the drop on any cave-dwelling monsters.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Jul 8, 2016 10:28 pm
Bored from all of the trudging along Vad has idea for a practical joke. He takes a few minutes to study Leth's clothing and overall appearance before dropping back behind the rest of the party and casting Alter Self. Appearing as Leth he then walks up to Felor and tries to convince him that he is Leth. He'll carry on the charade for just a few moments before switching back and having a laugh.
Last edited July 8, 2016 10:28 pm

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+6)

(15) + 6 = 21

load next

Thread locked