Descending the Temple Depths

load previous
Feb 15, 2022 11:52 am
"Sounds good, Dirk. Let's head that way."

"If we make all of them puff, wouldn't that fill the entire hallway with spores? That seems more dangerous, Roald." Albert can't help but cough as some of the spores float towards his nostrils. His bad lungs won't make this an enjoyable trip.

"We do have a pit of water behind the door, maybe we can use a waterskin to spray any mushroom that puffs with water." He ponders outloud. "Would that stop it from exploding, Falur?"
Feb 15, 2022 1:39 pm
- Dirk -

After nought but a few steps you are forced to rotate your 'map', then rotate it again. It quickly become apparent that the the direction of the tunnel is all wrong.

The below-ground structure does not align with the temple building above... at all. This is much older, and the above part is nothing more than a 'shed built around the entrance'.

What do you do?
Feb 15, 2022 1:39 pm
- Roald -

The captain looks surprised at your considered suggestion. More than just a pretty face and a strong arm. She seems to be thinking.

• Do you test your 'puff triggering' theory? How?
Feb 15, 2022 1:40 pm
- Albert -

You all brought full water-skins from the forest above --and no one is keen to try drinking the water in the stairwell even before you threw leg-bones into it-- but there is some cooking equipment that could serve as a clumsy vessel to bring water to the fungus until one of the skins is empty. Either way: this may mean running back and forth to the 'well' if there are many of these exploding-puff-balls mixed in with the other fungus.

Even with the door open, there was next to no airflow to clear the spores away.

• What do you do?
Feb 15, 2022 4:06 pm
''I'm sorry Albert, I didn't consider your cough. Maybe you kan wrap a wet cloth around your head to breath through.''

'' Let's spray one of them with water and then I will try to set it off from a distance. I'll put a torch close by and throw a rock, or bang some kettles to see the effect. You can all wait near the water. falur, what distance would you consider safe ?''

''This way we can see WHEN it Puffs and if spraying it helps reducing the spores or keeps it from exploding''
OOC:
If no one objects, Roald will moisten the fungus and make a gradually louder noises from a safe distance. If that doesn't do anything he will throw a small rock or stick, then a bigger one, etc....
Feb 15, 2022 8:31 pm
Good idea Roald. You are right water could well stop the spread of the spores. Lets see what happens
Feb 15, 2022 9:19 pm
''All credits to Albert for the water idea.''
''Ok, you all get back now! Oh, and keep some pots ready at hand to put out a fire if needed''

Roald soakes the fungus and watches for spores coming out already. He jams a burning torch in between 2 rocks and rushes back to a safe distance.
OOC:
order of investigation:
- wait for a few minutes to check if heat is a trigger
- making noise.
- throwing a large rock next to the fungus (vibration)
- increasingly hitting the fungus with larger objects

Rolls

Investigate the fungus - (2d6+1)

(32) + 1 = 6

Feb 16, 2022 4:42 pm
Roald stands silently in a curve in the wall, waiting... When nothing happens he takes his sword and the kettle he used to soak the fungus and starts banging them together. louder and louder it goes. '' I should've put some moss in my ears'' he says out loud to no one in particular.

'' NOTHING IS HAPPENING!'' He yells. ''I'M GONNA THROW SOME STICKS AND ROCKS AT IT NOW, BE READY!''

But even the heaviest rock in his sight does... Nothing.

Roald heads back to the group. Oddly he is both disappointed and relieved at the same time.

''I'm sorry guys, I guess we need a plan C... Or just be very careful around these things. But staying here is definitely not an option''
Feb 16, 2022 7:31 pm
... And with that last word, there is an explosion from down the hall, the fungus having gone off on it own. It is impossible to tell --with only one sample-- but maybe the wetting helped to contain or slow the explosion, even so you realise you would not want to be within reach of it as the torch splinters tumble down the passage, falling short of your position.

Now everyone's ears are ringing. But there does not appear to be any hostile response to the sound.
Feb 16, 2022 8:22 pm
Albert Pulls his cloak in front of his face when he hears the explosion, trying to shield himself from the dust that will undoubtedly head their way. When it settles he slowly lowers it to see the damage.

"I think we may need a new torch" He says as he picks up what he presumes to be the bottom half of the torch. "The good new is, if we need to blast through something we might have an answer for that." Albert gives a chuckle to lighten the mood. His face then turns a bit more serious again. "You're right, Roald. We'll have to watch out."
Feb 17, 2022 3:13 am
After realizing that he really doesn't have a clue where they are, Dirk sighs and lowers his parchment in exasperation. Looks like we'll just have to do this with good-ol-fashioned instincts.

When Roald started to conduct his experiment, Dirk took notes of the results. He didn't expect the blast and it made him jump backward a bit. I hope my eardrums survive this adventure in one piece. "Roald, welcome to the club of 'people-who-make-ears-ring-with-experiments', I was getting pretty lonely as the only member." Dirk gives a wink. "Right, so it looks like there was a delay in the explosion with the torch, do we reckon that we could just make a run for it during the calm before the explosion? Or should we just press on through while in the dark?
Feb 17, 2022 5:18 am
"If it requires immediate proximity, perhaps we could lash the torch to the end of the broomstick, and use it to lead ahead of us? Ignite any spores from a distance?"
Last edited February 18, 2022 12:47 am
Feb 17, 2022 8:03 am
Could we tie a torch to a pole that we hold in front of us as we go to limit the damage?
Feb 17, 2022 8:07 am
"This broomstick is one of the few last things I have left from my bar. I know it sounds silly, but if there's another way, I'd rather opt for that." He reaches behind him to grab one end of the stick.

It's worth a lot to you, Albert but you have to think rationally about this. Someone's arm could get blown off. Is that worth an old wooden stick? Is there no other way? He thinks as he lets the idea run around his brain.

After a minute he speaks up again. "Though, I guess it's a worthy sacrifice if it would save someone's life..." He sighs. This decision is obviously something Albert is struggling with. He will need a small push to agree with Rook's plan.
Feb 17, 2022 9:32 am
Falur feels sorry for Albert and understands his reluctance but for the good of the campaign we must try to persuade him.
Albert I understand your attachment to the broomstick but I don't see any other way than Rook's suggestion. We are still holding the pole so you wont necessarily loose it. We would all appreciate it if you would give it go
Feb 17, 2022 10:26 am
Falur's words ring true in Albert's ears along with the lingering ring of the explosion. "You're right Falur. It's the safest way forward." He takes the broom-handle from off his back and hands it over to the person who offers up a new torch. "Just be careful, ok?"

"Shall we get going?" He says when the torch has been secured.
Feb 17, 2022 7:35 pm
Thank you Albert we all appreciate it
Feb 18, 2022 12:50 am
"Besides Albert, isn't your god a fire god? And he's made this a holy broomstick, has he not? If anything, I'd say this is the most fire-proofed broomstick in all of this world and the next."
Feb 18, 2022 7:47 am
Albert laughs at what Rook says, taking it as more of a joke than the truth. "You're right. Who knows, I might soon be wielding one of those legendary flaming weapons!" He adds to the amusing thoughts.
Last edited February 18, 2022 7:51 am
Feb 18, 2022 3:21 pm
'' I think Dirk had a good point about the delayed explosion. I suggest that when we encounter a fungus. We just get past it as fast as we can.''
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.