Descending the Temple Depths

load previous
Feb 18, 2022 3:40 pm
''Alright guys, and Lady of course'' Roald smiles at Asha.
'' How about I go first with the torch, with Falur behind me on the lookout for exploding mushrooms. If we encounter one, we rush past it until we're at a safe distance. Depending on the amount of fungus we see, this COULD mean we have to run quite a lot.
''But maybe we get lucky and are they only growing in this part of the cave.''

Roald looks at Albert:'' This will not be a walk in the park my friend''

''But standing here isn't going to get us anywhere''
Feb 18, 2022 4:27 pm
Albert nods to Roald as he pats his waist, searching for his dagger. Without the broom he feels a bit defenseless. The dagger is still where it should be. A small relief.

He clears his throat and lungs thoroughly one last time and replies "Right, let's get to it then. The sooner we're past these mushrooms the better."
Feb 18, 2022 9:35 pm
"Agreed. There's no way of telling what else we might be inhaling down here in the rot. The less time spent here, the better. Dirk, perhaps you should take the lead again; we will be right behind you."
Feb 19, 2022 1:32 am
"I agree Rook, this place can't be good for our lungs. Alright everyone, watch your step!" Dirk holds the broom torch and takes the lead, walking cautiously. He keeps a close eye on any potential fungal danger.
Feb 19, 2022 8:05 am
I am right behind you Dirk I will call out if I spot anything
Feb 19, 2022 8:15 am
''In that case I'll take the rear again'' Chances are I'll get the majority of the blast if we run by a mushroom, hopefully my armor will protect me.''

Roald moistens his cloak and puts the wet hood over his head.

'' Let's do this!''
Feb 20, 2022 8:02 am
Dirk slowly walks forward, carefully holding the torch broom. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure why we put the torch on a broomstick. . . Falur points out one of the mushrooms to Dirk. Dirk speaks to the rest of the group; "Alright folks, watch yourselves! I'm coming up to the first mushroom!" Dirk sweats as he approaches it, he can feel his palms sweat holding the broom.

*fshhh!!*

A small hiss comes from the mushroom and spores start to pour out from it in a puff. Dirk yells out; "It's gonna blow!". The group scrambles to back away when it explodes! A hot shockwave passes through the tunnel. The blast knocks the torch off of the broomstick and Dirk off of his feet.

Dirk is shaken up by the experience. "That was a doozy, everyone ok?" Dirk's ears are ringing, it's completely dark without the torch, so he strikes up another torch to check on everyone.

EDIT: Changed the way the mushroom triggered for narrative consistency.
Last edited February 21, 2022 5:52 am
Feb 20, 2022 9:16 am
We have a problem here the spores puff out at random and if there is a naked flame near them they will explode. We have either got to find a light without a flame or feel our way forward in the darkness
Last edited February 21, 2022 8:39 am
Feb 20, 2022 10:04 pm
Albert is pushed against the wall by the blast. He feels a pain in his arm and looks to see a rather sharp piece of stone has cut his shirt sleeve open and nicked his arm. The cut starts to bleed but, luckily, not for long. It was only superficial. The left side of his face feels like he's just spent 2 hours in the blazing sun.

He steadies himself. "Guys, I don't know if this is the right way to do this. I'm not sure how many more of these blasts I could take, but it's not many." He takes a bit of time to make sure the cut isn't bleeding too badly. "Have we considered all our options? I'm open to new ideas."
Feb 21, 2022 3:22 am
"I see few options for us. We have no method for light other than open flame, any open flame that touches them will ignite the spores, and we know not when the spores will emerge. If we had a shield or something of that ilk, perhaps we could screen our flame from the falling spores, but I don't know of anything we have like that."

"Perhaps our only choice is to leave the torch burning in this spot here, where the mushrooms have already erupted, and feel our way down the rest of the hallway, hoping some sort of clearing presents itself? I admit I have little enough like for the idea of feeling my way along these walls, though. Otherwise, we must head back to the stairwell and see if we can get the ceiling to open, or hope that some other hidden passage might be found."
Feb 21, 2022 8:46 am
Falur realises that people don't like the idea of touching the moss and fungus etc growing in the passage but it does not bother him being more used to such things in his forest I agree with Rook's choices. If you want to go forward I don't mind taking the lead as I am more familiar with the moss, mushrooms etc.
Feb 21, 2022 9:13 am
"I once had an explorer in my tavern tell me a story about a specific primitive tribe in far away lands. He had encountered them on one of his sailing explorations." Albert calmly tells the others this story. "He spoke of the fact that this tribe had a unique way of navigating the caves they lived in, where it was often too dark to see anything."

"One expert cave navigator would be in the front, the others would stand behind them in a line of sorts and they would put one or both hands on the shoulders of the person in front of them. That way everyone was 'attached' to each other and they would all be able to move through the darkness following the guide at the front. " He thinks for a minute to remember more "I believe the tribe was called 'The Tribe of Conga'. The explorer decided to name the navigation technique a 'Conga Line'. Maybe we can use the same technique." He waits for response from his companions.
Feb 21, 2022 9:16 am
Roald is getting frustrated and it is starting to show, he is pacing up and down the little space there is not contributing to the ''meeting''. He acknowledges that it's stupid to go in without a plan, but these endless discussions are starting to agitate him.

If they don't make up their mind soon, I'm just going in without a torch...
Feb 21, 2022 5:42 pm
Falur senses Road's frustration and also thinks a decision needs to be made but we need Dirk's map. We must persuade Dirk to make a decision. Look everyone we have talked enough. Dirk do you think going back is likely to get us anywhere if not lets go forward in the dark.
I have noticed that most of the fungi we have seen are on the walls, I think it is too damp near the ground so if the decision is to go on I am willing to lead keeping as close to the ground as possible. I suggest we tie a rope between us so nobody gets lost. What is the decision Dirk?
Feb 22, 2022 11:06 am
Dirk gives a hearty laugh at what Albert said. "Conga Line! That sounds like a riot! But I think Falur has a good idea about tying rope around us and. . ." Dirk looks down the dark tunnel, as if lost in thought.
"Hold on now, I think I see something. . ." He extinguishes his torch and adjusts his eyes to the darkness. I hope I'm not seeing things. . .

https://iili.io/1EQnu2.md.jpg

There it is! The tunnel is faintly glowing with luminescent light coming from some of the mushrooms! It's hard to notice it when there's a bright torch. "Well folks, looks like we don't have to do the conga line or tie us all with rope, let's get going!"
Feb 22, 2022 12:04 pm
It takes a few minutes for all your eyes to adjust to the lack of light --some better than others-- but eventually you are able to navigate the passages well enough by a combination of feel and the dim light from the faintly glowing growths at odd intervals along the moss-covered stone surfaces.

In the gaps between the helpful fungi, the shimmer from Albert's staff fills in some of the detail. She has not noticed it yet --not having looked down-- but, strangely, there is also a similar light from the axe at Asha's belt.

None of this light covers the spectrum well enough for you to see colour very well --if at all-- so mapping is made more difficult as the ink fades as it dries and loses contrast with the page. It is also next to impossible to identify the explosive fungi without the help of their distinctive colouring, but at least one of them triggers a puff as the group makes its way past.
As your ears finally recover from the repeated deafening experiences of earlier, you start to pick the sound of many small legs scuttling away from you as you approach. The number seems to be growing as you continually push these scuttlers along your path.

What do you do?
Feb 22, 2022 3:32 pm
Albert chuckles together with Dirk "Yes it's one of those things that might just be silly enough to work."

He blinks a few times, getting used tot he lack of light in the hallway now. "Hey, you're right!" He says when he notices the faint glimmer of the vegetation around them "That's actually kind of pretty."

"Would you mind handing my broom back to me? I just don't feel right without it." He asks the person at the front. Albert grips it tightly when it's returned to him. A sigh of relief, only audible by the ones right next to him, escapes his lips. As he makes his way through the corridors he starts to whisper a prayer to Raynor. Those who know about the faith of Raynor might recognize the mumblings as the lyrics to the psalm "Raynor's fire will light my way". This always helped put him at ease when traveling at night.
Last edited February 22, 2022 3:37 pm
Feb 22, 2022 4:03 pm
Roald takes a minute to calm himself and let his eyes adjust to the dark.
''shhhhht,... Listen!'' he whispers. ''It sounds like we're not alone.''
He never liked bugs and little crawly things all that much. It reminds him of the maggots he had to pluck out of the ''discount'' meat in his father's butcher shop. ''YUK'' he can't help but utter a sound of disgust.
His legs start itching just by thinking of the things that might crawl up.
''Let's.... Let's keep a move on please. ''
Feb 23, 2022 3:55 am
" I never heard of a Kon-Gah line, Albert, but that sounds useful. If we walk into an area with none of these glow shrooms, that just might work."

What’s that sound? thought Deoring. Rats or bugs? I can’t quite tell. I guess my ears haven’t fully recovered from the exploding spores. And the smell of these mushrooms is too strong to distinguish any other scent. Buck up! You can do this!

Deoring keeps shuffling forward in the dim glow.
Feb 24, 2022 5:49 am
No reward is worth this... echoes through Rook's mind a few times. He's just about to voice another suggestion to turn back when his ears pick up the scuttling noises. The others have as well, based on the shifts in their movements. He stops still in place, straining his ears and his eyes in the gloom to see what might be around them. He slowly reaches a hand toward one of his few remaining torches, and his tinderbox, but does not light it just yet, giving a few moments more to see what might happen.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.