Chapter 1 - Awakening

load previous
Jul 20, 2016 7:33 am
"Something is wrong. I..I..I feel cold. Like there is a knot inside of me

Arannis grasps his staff harder, his knuckles turning white.

His instincts start to take over and he moves forward until he has room then takes up a fighting stance. His lips begin moving as if he is chanting but on in a whisper
Jul 20, 2016 7:51 am
Dwyn rushes over to the side of the nearest door, her back to the wall. Her hands tremble, clutching the sword. She takes a deep breath.

"Arannis? You alright?"
Last edited July 20, 2016 8:05 am
Jul 20, 2016 9:53 am
No once taking his eyes of the doorway that the shape can be seen in he replies to Dwyn

"I'm not sure. Something tells me that whatever they are is....wrong. They shouldn't be here. I'm sorry, if I only had my memories I might be able to explain more but..."

His voice trails off as he once again gives his full attention to the things approaching
Jul 20, 2016 10:36 am
Keleth sent a note to CancerMan
Jul 20, 2016 12:54 pm
Edward joins the others on the raised platform and sends his spear into a couple of spins, just to get used to his weapon before they are confronted.
Jul 22, 2016 7:09 pm
"Aye, cold as the dark," rasps Dwoinan. "I feel it, too, lad. I think we could do with something... warm." He clenches his free hand, touching the chalice within his clothes. A heat begins to build within his belly, and as Dwoinan mentally envisions the light and heat of fire, he opens his hand and produces a ball of flame that seems to envelop his palm.

Dwoinan's eyes sparkle with revelation. "Fire is the light that defeats the darkness, folks! There's something spiritual about that."
OOC:
Casting Produce Flame
Jul 22, 2016 9:56 pm
Arannis sees Dwoinan produce a flame in his hand and a sense of familiarity comes to him

"I think I can do that too"

He focuses on his upturned palm and tries to copy what Dwoinan did, but finds he has to changes the phrases slightly to get the spell to work.

A ball of flame appears in his hand.

"Ready to light these things up"
OOC:
Also casts produce flame
Last edited July 22, 2016 10:01 pm
Jul 22, 2016 10:11 pm
OOC:
Are you guys waiting then? Also, wanted to make sure it's clear: there's plenty of light around you, largely because of holes in the ceiling (all of which are relatively small compared to the big hole above where you climbed out).
Jul 22, 2016 10:31 pm
Dwoinan waits for whatever might reveal themselves from the doors. He watches the approaching shapes apprehensively, but refrains from doing anything else until it's obvious there is no danger.
Jul 22, 2016 11:44 pm
Dwyn also waits, keeping an eye for the first signs of trouble.
Jul 26, 2016 5:33 pm
Tetsuwan raises his blade, preparing for whatever comes through the door, as the rest of the part gather behind him. You all start to feel a chill in the air, but two globes of fire around you keep it mostly at bay.

The shuffling grows louder and clearer, you hear dragging, something against the floor. Suddenly, an instinct in Tetsuwan triggers and he swings his blade at neck level, and you hear a clunk as a skeletal head rolls through the doorway, followed by the rest of the body falling down. The shuffling noise from the door you're at continues, and you see skeletons start to exit the other 3 doors.
OOC:
I'm just gonna say you're all at the bottom left door since you didn't really pick one or the other :p
Jul 26, 2016 5:59 pm
Dwoinan turns to the bottom right door and pushes his fiery hand in the direction of the skeletons. The flames around his hand do not diminish, but a gout of fire flashes out and arcs onto the threshold, culminating in a bonfire to try and impede progress through that doorway.
OOC:
I'm assuming we can act (if not I will retcon my action), and will cast Create Bonfire
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You create a bonfire on ground that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, the bonfire fills a 5-foot cube. Any creature in the bonfire's space when you cast the spell must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 fire damage. A creature must also make the saving throw when it enters the bonfire's space for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there.
Jul 26, 2016 6:14 pm
Edward grips his spear tighter, prepared to use it on any skeletons that get near.
OOC:
Readying an action to attack any skeleton that gets in range

Rolls

Attack (Readied) - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d8+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Jul 26, 2016 6:14 pm
OOC:
Yah, we're not quite in combat yet, but I'm letting you each do something. Given PbP and the story style I'm going for, sometimes I'll put up a post and leave it for you guys to respond, doing actions within reason. Obviously, no half hour rants or casting a 3 hour ritual, but move about more freely, interact with the environment, even take some actions with the scene are fine. Like in this case, you saw skeletons, you had fire in your hand, you put fire on the ground. Great move!

Naat: You mean any more skeletons exit the door you're by? Yes, there are more skeletons exiting. Sorry if I was unclear. It's not a flood of skeletons, but there are more than one coming out of all four doors.
Jul 26, 2016 9:12 pm
As the skeletons walk in Arranis extinguishes the fireball in his hand and he grasps his quarter staff.

His hands run up the length of it and it starts to glow with a faint light

His eyes burn with disgust as he stares at the approaching horde
OOC:
Casting Shillelagh on my quarter staff
Jul 27, 2016 9:54 pm
Dwyn presses her back against the wall by the door. If I can go unnoticed by the next skeleton to walk in through that door, I can get it from behind, she thinks. If only my damn hands would stop shaking.

Rolls

Stealth (with Rogue Expertise) - (1d20+7)

(16) + 7 = 23

Aug 2, 2016 1:30 pm
Edward positions himself to the side of the door, striking another skeleton and dispatching it, the bones falling to the floor, again lifeless. As he does, Dwoinan points at the other door along the wall, and his ball of fire flies smoothly along, striking the bits of tinder remaining from the door that once stood there, sparking into a fire much larger than the fuel would allow. Two skeletons walk through, coming out charred, and fall to the floor. Arannis takes the moment to close their eyes, running their hands across the quarterstaff. It seems to grow slightly, as if coming alive, and fits more naturally in Aranni's hands. Dwyn takes advantage of the initial chaos to take position by the door, using Edward and Tetsuwan to hide. Jorem suddenly looks to the side, by the metal doors. "Do you hear that?"
Aug 2, 2016 1:33 pm
Edward strains his ears to hear what Jorem heard while trying to keep an eye on the skeletons.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Aug 2, 2016 1:37 pm
OOC:
I apparently only copied half my post...
More skeletons pour out each door. The fire burning at the bottom right door seems to be keeping any from massing out of that side, while another two appear at the doorway by the party. There are now 4 at each of the upper doors.
Aug 2, 2016 4:16 pm
Tetsuwan strides forward, sword leading. He brings the blade down two-handed on one of the skeletons: Lightning Splits the Tree Trunk.
Last edited August 2, 2016 4:17 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Longsword attack, two-handed damage - (1d20+5, 1d10+3)

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

1d10+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.