Chapter 1 - Awakening

Jun 16, 2016 2:47 am
You waken. Your body is stiff, as if you haven't moved in months. As you stir and attempt to open your eyes, everything is hazy; you can barely make out light from dark. Blinking a few times, your vision clears, though not entirely. It'll come in time, you assume. As you begin to stretch, trying to stand, you try to think how you got there.

How did you get here? Actually, where is here? Actually, nothing is coming to mind, at all. Every thought you try to pull up just brings up a blank fuzz. A bit of worry is starting to set in. Actually, there's NOTHING coming to mind. No name, no family, no history, not even a favorite food. It's only by looking down at your arms and feet that you can remember what sort of being you even are. And looking down, you notice you're wearing simple robes that look faded and worn with time, somehow both ancient and yet holding together. Your brain can't completely make sense of it.

Still blurry, you finally focus on the room you're in. A floor with only shreds of cloth in a corner... maybe once a mattress? A ceiling, smooth, as if from a single slab of... stone? 3 walls, with no seams where they meet the floor or ceiling. The floor and walls are smooth too. Is this room maybe carved from a single giant block of stone? It's not that large either... And in front of you... bars. This is a jail cell. You're in a jail cell. What did you do to get throw into jail? The bars are strange too. They're not just parallel and perpendicular beams. Interspersed are crystals in the center of intricate metal patterns, pieces of wood set into wreaths of faded, dead plants and flowers, candelabras with pictographs inscribed on them, the wax of dead candles left in them.

It's too bright to see outside the bars. The only noise you can hear is stone creaking.

Keleth sent a note to PhantomNimbus,Scotash,CancerMan
Keleth sent a note to PhantomNimbus
Keleth sent a note to Naatkinson
Keleth sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
OOC:
You're welcome to RP your characters waking up. You know there's light outside the bars, but it's too bright for you to make out. Maybe if you walked closer to the bars, your eyes would adjust? Your throats (or what not) are too dry to talk right now.

I'm going to give everyone the opportunity to do something before pushing forward. Though if you do shamble up to the bars, I'll give you all the descriptions of what they see, unless it's something only your character would recognize.

Remember, you have NO memories. You don't know who you are, where you are, why you're there. You have no memories, no personality. I hope you're all ready for a bunch of RP :D It'll be slow to start, I know, as I describe a lot to you guys. Let's see how this works out in a PbP environment.
Jun 16, 2016 2:57 am
With expended effort I cobble together these dispersed armor sections and I feel...whole. I try to stand and my arm crumples back to separate parts. It takes some focus but I put down a metal gauntlet and I get it to support my weight as I slump forwards towards the bars. I extend my hand to try to reach them and it clatters again to the ground. It slowly wobbles back up off the ground into place.

What has happened to...me...my body..., I try to think but it's all haze.

H...Hello?, I call out, my voice comes out as if sound was being funneled through this metal. It's a man's voice, but it sounds tinny and hollow.
Jun 16, 2016 3:17 am
The old man cannot remember the last time he felt this terrible. Which is entirely accurate, as he cannot remember anything, so this very moment is as good a time to start.

The dawning realization of having no memory is starting to take effect. The old man - Wait, how old am I? - looks down at his fingers and takes a good long minute to calibrate his hand-eye coordination. Yes, these are my hands. I must be old; these hands look so wrinkled and worn.

His chin begins to itch and his dry, cracked lips ache. He touches his weathered hands to his face and feels the full beard, bristled and unkempt. The stench of his condition also hits his long crow beak of a nose, and the wave of all these overwhelming details flood his mind behind sunken eyes.

There was a noise from somewhere distant, but the man was too busy orienting himself within the situation to take full notice.
Jun 16, 2016 3:22 am
You actually don't smell (bad). Given what you look and feel like you'd think you stink, but strangely, you don't.

As Jorem shifts towards the bars, he starts to make out what's outside the cell. It's very bright, but not a harsh light; perhaps a warm light? It's definitely sunlight. It's still not clear, but you see a large mass outside the cell, maybe 15 feet away. It looks sort of like a table? It's too hard to tell; you'll need to get closer to the bars to see more.
Jun 16, 2016 3:26 am
The man sniffs, and his thoughts continue to wander with no real process. Do I even know what smells bad? I... I can't think of what would smell good!
Last edited June 16, 2016 3:32 am
Jun 16, 2016 4:07 am
As I crawl closer to the bars, my...legs? Do I call those legs? Whatever I call them are scraping along the stone floor. Another foot and I look back, realizing I've left a foot a foot behind me. The armored boot slowly grinds across the stone as it reconnects. I finally reach out and can touch the bars. I try to grab one and pull myself to them.
Jun 16, 2016 5:45 am
It takes a long time before I even attempt to stand or sit. I lie on the floor staring at the door and the charms. Eventually I force myself to sit and then stand before shuffling towards the door to look out. As I reach it I stretch my fingers out to touch one of the charms.
OOC:
Would I be able to instinctively reach out through my connection to nature/arcane? My thinking would be that before any of this, searching my surrounding area for animals or plant life would be instinctive and I may not realise I'm doing it, so would therefore do it now?
Jun 16, 2016 2:05 pm
The young man groans a bit as he sits up slowly, trying to move his metallic arm. He is glad to realize that he is able to move it, even though it isn't as easy as he hoped, Probably the sorry state that it's in, he thinks to himself. He attempts to stand, moving his right leg easily, but his left is heavy and hard to move. After a few moments he is able to adjust and moving becomes a bit easier.

He can't remember a thing, he realizes now that the worry over his arm and leg has passed. He panics for a moment, but suppresses the emotions due to his current situation being more important. He takes a deep breath in and then lets it out slowly, in an oddly familiar way. He makes his way to the bars of the cell, realizing on the way that his left leg is metallic too (at least from the knee down), just like his arm.

He calls out between the bars, "Hello? Anyone there?"
Last edited June 16, 2016 6:52 pm
Jun 16, 2016 2:42 pm
I rise to my knees, and then to my feet. My motions are fluid, practiced, despite the creaking of wood and leather sinew deep inside my metallic limbs. I touch my chest. There is a hole there, where something used to be. A part of me is missing. Why I am I here? Where is here? I feel a vague sense of purpose, a reason I was...created. A mission. But it eludes me. Whatever it is, it is not here. I step forward, and metal grates on metal as gears and pinions turn. I step up to the bars and grasp them. Will they hold against me? The bars hold. Perhaps I am not at my full strength. I certainly feel weak. I hear voices...
Last edited June 16, 2016 2:43 pm

Rolls

Strength - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Jun 16, 2016 3:18 pm
I...I am...here..., I respond to a voice, it sounds like a boy's voice. Real and organic in comparison to the hollow tinny sound of my own.

Wherever here is..., I add, trying to see through the bars, not wanting to question how I can see without an apparent form.
Jun 16, 2016 3:20 pm
"Who are you? And where are we?" the boy calls out, happy to hear another person's voice.
Jun 16, 2016 3:24 pm
I...don't know. I am...am...unsure of who I am. Or WHAT I am, for that matter, I say uneasily. The sound is definitely not entirely human, but it sounds like a man who is speaking through a metal tube, or some other echoey source.
Jun 16, 2016 3:24 pm
As your minds begin functioning again, you realize you know things. You know language (or maybe more than one), you know how to speak, you know what people are, what things are... you just can't remember who YOU are. What you are. Anything specific to you.

As Jorem crawls closer to the bars, as Tetsuwan stumbles forward, as Elric approaches the bars, you can more clearly make out the room. Sunlight floods in, bringing in peace and warmth, though only though a relatively small hole in the ceiling. The central mass looks like a circular slab of stone, about 15 ft in diameter, 3 ft high. Made of a smooth white stone, it has 6 circular daises on it's inner perimeter, set at equal distances, each a foot or so in diameter, raised above the central platform. Each has something on it, though you can't make it out. There is a dais directly in front of your cell. The white stone would be completely unmarred, except there is a radiating fracture from it's center, presumably caused by what appears to be a small, dark ball in it's center. Clearly, that fell through the ceiling and broke the stone.

As your eyes adjust to the light more, notice the ground and ceiling outside your cage is made of the same substance as your cage, again as if from one piece of material. Outside your cages, however, you see an intricate lattice of channels dug into the ground and ceiling. Paying careful attention, it looks like a channel originates from the dais in front of you and makes its way to your cage, splitting, forming patterns, as if a river breaking into a man-made delta. You can see small chunks of crystal, tiny broken pieces, laid into the channel randomly, the rest simply filled with dust.

Keleth sent a note to PhantomNimbus,Scotash,CancerMan
Jun 16, 2016 3:28 pm
There is magic here. These bars. Or...or there once was magic. I think, I say more to myself than the boy that I know of.
Jun 16, 2016 4:00 pm
The man's head is starting to hurt, addled by confusion and unanswerable questions. He looks for focus, and the exterior of the cage provides it. The man rises, momentarily stunned by the creaking in his knees and popping of his spine, and he lets out a guttural groan to collect himself.

He shifts his body over to the bars and tests them to see if they'll open without effort. He is vaguely aware that there is more than one other person still alive in this place, and he looks beyond the dais to the other cells.
Jun 16, 2016 6:36 pm
No, there is something here. I can feel it also Its pleasant, familiar...
Jun 16, 2016 6:40 pm
I hear another voice answer my own question before I ask it. It...I think it's the grooves. Do you see them, or feel them rather?, I ask the new voice.
Jun 16, 2016 6:41 pm
The boy looks around and strains all of his senses, but he can't feel anything at all, "I don't feel anything," he says to the others, slightly disappointed.
OOC:
Can we see each other? I don't think so, but I want to make sure
Last edited June 16, 2016 6:49 pm
Jun 16, 2016 6:55 pm
Only Jorem can feel power coming from the grooves in the ground, an old, faded power. Arannis and Dwoinan can feel faded power in the aligning wards on their bars.

You can see someone who is up near their cage.
OOC:
Just as a note Scotash, Joram is talking in bold without quotes (presumably) because he doesn't actually have a "voice" (which is a good idea I think, for now). I think it's a good guideline to follow... sourceless voices in bold without quotes, regular voices bold with quotes.
Jun 16, 2016 7:00 pm
OOC:
Whoops, it's also just a bad habit I started because on mobile it's a lot of work to remember where punctuation should go around all the added formatting elements. I do that in every game. Generally bold is understood as speaking, Italics are inner thoughts. :X
It's like...a warmth. Like a faint feeling. Familiar, I say as I start to trace some of the lines in my cell with a finger from my gauntlet hand. The sound is metal scraping on stone.

Have I ever had a body?, I question myself as I trace the shapes.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.