Chapter 1 - Awakening

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 16, 2016 2:47 am
You waken. Your body is stiff, as if you haven't moved in months. As you stir and attempt to open your eyes, everything is hazy; you can barely make out light from dark. Blinking a few times, your vision clears, though not entirely. It'll come in time, you assume. As you begin to stretch, trying to stand, you try to think how you got there.

How did you get here? Actually, where is here? Actually, nothing is coming to mind, at all. Every thought you try to pull up just brings up a blank fuzz. A bit of worry is starting to set in. Actually, there's NOTHING coming to mind. No name, no family, no history, not even a favorite food. It's only by looking down at your arms and feet that you can remember what sort of being you even are. And looking down, you notice you're wearing simple robes that look faded and worn with time, somehow both ancient and yet holding together. Your brain can't completely make sense of it.

Still blurry, you finally focus on the room you're in. A floor with only shreds of cloth in a corner... maybe once a mattress? A ceiling, smooth, as if from a single slab of... stone? 3 walls, with no seams where they meet the floor or ceiling. The floor and walls are smooth too. Is this room maybe carved from a single giant block of stone? It's not that large either... And in front of you... bars. This is a jail cell. You're in a jail cell. What did you do to get throw into jail? The bars are strange too. They're not just parallel and perpendicular beams. Interspersed are crystals in the center of intricate metal patterns, pieces of wood set into wreaths of faded, dead plants and flowers, candelabras with pictographs inscribed on them, the wax of dead candles left in them.

It's too bright to see outside the bars. The only noise you can hear is stone creaking.

Keleth sent a note to PhantomNimbus,Scotash,CancerMan
Keleth sent a note to PhantomNimbus
Keleth sent a note to Naatkinson
Keleth sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
OOC:
You're welcome to RP your characters waking up. You know there's light outside the bars, but it's too bright for you to make out. Maybe if you walked closer to the bars, your eyes would adjust? Your throats (or what not) are too dry to talk right now.

I'm going to give everyone the opportunity to do something before pushing forward. Though if you do shamble up to the bars, I'll give you all the descriptions of what they see, unless it's something only your character would recognize.

Remember, you have NO memories. You don't know who you are, where you are, why you're there. You have no memories, no personality. I hope you're all ready for a bunch of RP :D It'll be slow to start, I know, as I describe a lot to you guys. Let's see how this works out in a PbP environment.
Jun 16, 2016 2:57 am
With expended effort I cobble together these dispersed armor sections and I feel...whole. I try to stand and my arm crumples back to separate parts. It takes some focus but I put down a metal gauntlet and I get it to support my weight as I slump forwards towards the bars. I extend my hand to try to reach them and it clatters again to the ground. It slowly wobbles back up off the ground into place.

What has happened to...me...my body..., I try to think but it's all haze.

H...Hello?, I call out, my voice comes out as if sound was being funneled through this metal. It's a man's voice, but it sounds tinny and hollow.
Jun 16, 2016 3:17 am
The old man cannot remember the last time he felt this terrible. Which is entirely accurate, as he cannot remember anything, so this very moment is as good a time to start.

The dawning realization of having no memory is starting to take effect. The old man - Wait, how old am I? - looks down at his fingers and takes a good long minute to calibrate his hand-eye coordination. Yes, these are my hands. I must be old; these hands look so wrinkled and worn.

His chin begins to itch and his dry, cracked lips ache. He touches his weathered hands to his face and feels the full beard, bristled and unkempt. The stench of his condition also hits his long crow beak of a nose, and the wave of all these overwhelming details flood his mind behind sunken eyes.

There was a noise from somewhere distant, but the man was too busy orienting himself within the situation to take full notice.
Jun 16, 2016 3:22 am
You actually don't smell (bad). Given what you look and feel like you'd think you stink, but strangely, you don't.

As Jorem shifts towards the bars, he starts to make out what's outside the cell. It's very bright, but not a harsh light; perhaps a warm light? It's definitely sunlight. It's still not clear, but you see a large mass outside the cell, maybe 15 feet away. It looks sort of like a table? It's too hard to tell; you'll need to get closer to the bars to see more.
Jun 16, 2016 3:26 am
The man sniffs, and his thoughts continue to wander with no real process. Do I even know what smells bad? I... I can't think of what would smell good!
Last edited June 16, 2016 3:32 am
Jun 16, 2016 4:07 am
As I crawl closer to the bars, my...legs? Do I call those legs? Whatever I call them are scraping along the stone floor. Another foot and I look back, realizing I've left a foot a foot behind me. The armored boot slowly grinds across the stone as it reconnects. I finally reach out and can touch the bars. I try to grab one and pull myself to them.
Jun 16, 2016 5:45 am
It takes a long time before I even attempt to stand or sit. I lie on the floor staring at the door and the charms. Eventually I force myself to sit and then stand before shuffling towards the door to look out. As I reach it I stretch my fingers out to touch one of the charms.
OOC:
Would I be able to instinctively reach out through my connection to nature/arcane? My thinking would be that before any of this, searching my surrounding area for animals or plant life would be instinctive and I may not realise I'm doing it, so would therefore do it now?
Jun 16, 2016 2:05 pm
The young man groans a bit as he sits up slowly, trying to move his metallic arm. He is glad to realize that he is able to move it, even though it isn't as easy as he hoped, Probably the sorry state that it's in, he thinks to himself. He attempts to stand, moving his right leg easily, but his left is heavy and hard to move. After a few moments he is able to adjust and moving becomes a bit easier.

He can't remember a thing, he realizes now that the worry over his arm and leg has passed. He panics for a moment, but suppresses the emotions due to his current situation being more important. He takes a deep breath in and then lets it out slowly, in an oddly familiar way. He makes his way to the bars of the cell, realizing on the way that his left leg is metallic too (at least from the knee down), just like his arm.

He calls out between the bars, "Hello? Anyone there?"
Last edited June 16, 2016 6:52 pm
Jun 16, 2016 2:42 pm
I rise to my knees, and then to my feet. My motions are fluid, practiced, despite the creaking of wood and leather sinew deep inside my metallic limbs. I touch my chest. There is a hole there, where something used to be. A part of me is missing. Why I am I here? Where is here? I feel a vague sense of purpose, a reason I was...created. A mission. But it eludes me. Whatever it is, it is not here. I step forward, and metal grates on metal as gears and pinions turn. I step up to the bars and grasp them. Will they hold against me? The bars hold. Perhaps I am not at my full strength. I certainly feel weak. I hear voices...
Last edited June 16, 2016 2:43 pm

Rolls

Strength - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Jun 16, 2016 3:18 pm
I...I am...here..., I respond to a voice, it sounds like a boy's voice. Real and organic in comparison to the hollow tinny sound of my own.

Wherever here is..., I add, trying to see through the bars, not wanting to question how I can see without an apparent form.
Jun 16, 2016 3:20 pm
"Who are you? And where are we?" the boy calls out, happy to hear another person's voice.
Jun 16, 2016 3:24 pm
I...don't know. I am...am...unsure of who I am. Or WHAT I am, for that matter, I say uneasily. The sound is definitely not entirely human, but it sounds like a man who is speaking through a metal tube, or some other echoey source.
Jun 16, 2016 3:24 pm
As your minds begin functioning again, you realize you know things. You know language (or maybe more than one), you know how to speak, you know what people are, what things are... you just can't remember who YOU are. What you are. Anything specific to you.

As Jorem crawls closer to the bars, as Tetsuwan stumbles forward, as Elric approaches the bars, you can more clearly make out the room. Sunlight floods in, bringing in peace and warmth, though only though a relatively small hole in the ceiling. The central mass looks like a circular slab of stone, about 15 ft in diameter, 3 ft high. Made of a smooth white stone, it has 6 circular daises on it's inner perimeter, set at equal distances, each a foot or so in diameter, raised above the central platform. Each has something on it, though you can't make it out. There is a dais directly in front of your cell. The white stone would be completely unmarred, except there is a radiating fracture from it's center, presumably caused by what appears to be a small, dark ball in it's center. Clearly, that fell through the ceiling and broke the stone.

As your eyes adjust to the light more, notice the ground and ceiling outside your cage is made of the same substance as your cage, again as if from one piece of material. Outside your cages, however, you see an intricate lattice of channels dug into the ground and ceiling. Paying careful attention, it looks like a channel originates from the dais in front of you and makes its way to your cage, splitting, forming patterns, as if a river breaking into a man-made delta. You can see small chunks of crystal, tiny broken pieces, laid into the channel randomly, the rest simply filled with dust.

Keleth sent a note to PhantomNimbus,Scotash,CancerMan
Jun 16, 2016 3:28 pm
There is magic here. These bars. Or...or there once was magic. I think, I say more to myself than the boy that I know of.
Jun 16, 2016 4:00 pm
The man's head is starting to hurt, addled by confusion and unanswerable questions. He looks for focus, and the exterior of the cage provides it. The man rises, momentarily stunned by the creaking in his knees and popping of his spine, and he lets out a guttural groan to collect himself.

He shifts his body over to the bars and tests them to see if they'll open without effort. He is vaguely aware that there is more than one other person still alive in this place, and he looks beyond the dais to the other cells.
Jun 16, 2016 6:36 pm
No, there is something here. I can feel it also Its pleasant, familiar...
Jun 16, 2016 6:40 pm
I hear another voice answer my own question before I ask it. It...I think it's the grooves. Do you see them, or feel them rather?, I ask the new voice.
Jun 16, 2016 6:41 pm
The boy looks around and strains all of his senses, but he can't feel anything at all, "I don't feel anything," he says to the others, slightly disappointed.
OOC:
Can we see each other? I don't think so, but I want to make sure
Last edited June 16, 2016 6:49 pm
Jun 16, 2016 6:55 pm
Only Jorem can feel power coming from the grooves in the ground, an old, faded power. Arannis and Dwoinan can feel faded power in the aligning wards on their bars.

You can see someone who is up near their cage.
OOC:
Just as a note Scotash, Joram is talking in bold without quotes (presumably) because he doesn't actually have a "voice" (which is a good idea I think, for now). I think it's a good guideline to follow... sourceless voices in bold without quotes, regular voices bold with quotes.
Jun 16, 2016 7:00 pm
OOC:
Whoops, it's also just a bad habit I started because on mobile it's a lot of work to remember where punctuation should go around all the added formatting elements. I do that in every game. Generally bold is understood as speaking, Italics are inner thoughts. :X
It's like...a warmth. Like a faint feeling. Familiar, I say as I start to trace some of the lines in my cell with a finger from my gauntlet hand. The sound is metal scraping on stone.

Have I ever had a body?, I question myself as I trace the shapes.
Jun 16, 2016 7:09 pm
OOC:
Bah, I was giving you credit for something neat :p Heh, well, if that's the case, no worries. Bold will be talking, with or without quotes!
Jun 16, 2016 7:52 pm
The old man may not know his name, but does vaguely recall that he personally uses italicized bold for inner thoughts and quoted bold for verbal communication.

Might as well announce myself. Maybe they can help.

"Hello? Who's out there?" he says as he approaches the bars, shocked at the sound of his own voice. Is that what I sound like?
Jun 16, 2016 7:54 pm
I am...I, I say, still at a loss for a name, or identity.
Jun 16, 2016 7:56 pm
"'Eye?'" verifies the old man. "Well, can you get me out of here? Where are you?" He tries to grab the bars.
Jun 16, 2016 7:57 pm
In a cage. I take it you are in the same?, I ask, the answer fairly obvious.
Jun 16, 2016 8:50 pm
OOC:
Sorry, I'll make sure they are in going forward
"No it's not from the grooves. Does anyone know where we are? Or who I am? I don't know who I am"
Jun 16, 2016 8:53 pm
"I think it's pretty obvious by now that we're all clueless on why we're here, or even where here is. I'm more concerned about getting out of here at this point, anyone got any bright ideas?"
Jun 16, 2016 8:53 pm
"Who said that?" blurts out the old man, not really thinking it through.
Jun 16, 2016 9:00 pm
I inspect the bars to see how large of gaps may be there. I try to reach my gauntlet hand through seeing if I can use my intangible ability to reach out further than I should likely be able to.
Jun 16, 2016 10:05 pm
"I think the pillars on the dais might have something to do with it"

The elf looks about his cell for anything if use

"Maybe if we can disrupt the channels we can get free?"
Jun 16, 2016 10:30 pm
He wakes up on the ground, head spinning. He looks around and notices he does not know where he is. The sound of nearby voices causes him to take a defensive position. He doesn't know why he's doing it, but something inside him caused him to take that stance. He doesn't recognize any of the voices. He creeps up to the bars and tries to look out. He sits back and listens to the voices.
Last edited June 16, 2016 10:31 pm
Jun 16, 2016 10:56 pm
"What in the hells are you talking about?" grumbles the old man. "Disrupting the channels? With what, piss and spit?"

Actually... the man tries forming enough saliva to lob something into the grooves on the floor.
Jun 17, 2016 2:27 am
As the last of you wakes, those of you looking at the mesa see the black gem vibrate just slightly and a small pulse of light flashes out of it. All of a sudden, the bars around where Jorem's arm extends out crumble into dust, followed quickly by any of the bars any of you are grabbing.

Jun 17, 2016 2:32 am
I clatter to the ground in a pile of armor before I focus up again and get my form back to a recognizable form. I stand on shaky legs that threaten to both buckle and clatter to the floor. I manage a few steps towards the dais. The...the orb. It disrupted the channels. I can't feel the magic from them, I say as I pull the robe I'm in around my form, and if there is a hood I cover my helmet to try to hide my appearance.

Surely they'll think me a ghost... ...maybe they would be right, I think.
Jun 17, 2016 3:03 am
"Magic? What magic?" asks the man, gingerly stepping beyond the boundaries of his cell. "And why did you get to keep your fancy armor, while I... did not? Uh, I must have had something else to wear... right?"
Jun 17, 2016 7:00 am
Hearing the clatter of armour, The elf runs back to his cell's door and grabs hold of the bars

"What was that, how did you .... He stood mid sentence as his bars start to crumble

Bewildered he gingerly takes his first steps out of his cell

We're free. Now what? he looks around the room at the other. He rests his gaze on the One wearing armour, slightly longer than the others, before gong to inspect the Dias
Jun 17, 2016 7:06 am
A figure steps into the middle of the room. Measured steps, well-practiced. The gait of a swordsman. But this is no man. The figure has cast aside the tattered robe, exposing not flesh but metallic plates. Here is no suit of armor - the metal is this thing's skin. The metal gleams in patches where the grime of this place has been rubbed away. Is this a fellow prisoner, or your jailer? The thing stands, impassive, unheeding. It would seem a mere automaton, a golem, were it not for the spark of intelligence that shines in what must be its eyes. There are tales of such things: living constructs forged by sorcerer-kings to wage their wars. The figure looks down at its own clenched fists. Then, suddenly, it bows deeply at the waist, to whom, it is unclear. The figure straightens, remains still and silent.
Jun 17, 2016 11:24 am
OOC:
Good point Jabes! As you step out of your cage, describe your character for your fellow players
Jun 17, 2016 1:20 pm
The boy almost falls over as the bars of the cage turn to dust, but barely manages to keep standing. Peering out of the cage, alert for danger he steps out. The boy has long blonde hair, almost down to his waist and long bangs that frame the face of a very young man. Good estimates would put him at about 16 years old, though he is a bit short for his age, standing just under five feet tall.

As he steps out of his cage his left leg lands heavily, making an odd sound, as metal hitting stone. Those who look closely can see a metal hand sticking out his his right sleeve, but he is obviously making an attempt to conceal it. His golden eyes peer around the room, taking in the sights and absorbing the sensations as only a young man can. He takes a deep breath and smiles, unsure of where he's at or why he's here, but he's happy to be alive.

He notices the strange, armored individual with his hood up and feels a strange kinship with him, as if he's met him before. He shakes off the sensation, it must be a trick of his fatigued mind.
Jun 17, 2016 1:27 pm
I look down at my armored hands poking out from the robe. I keep the hood low to obscure my helmet and walk up to the dais to examine the dark orb.

The armor is...necessary, I quickly say in my tinny hollow voice. I reach out to touch the orb.
Jun 17, 2016 2:33 pm
As you approach the white stone table, you can more clearly make out the 6 raised platforms. Each is simple in fashion, little more than a small circular extension ontop the larger white stone, which you can now see is covered in intricate carvings, similar in design and variety to those that were on the bars of your cells, all originating from the center. The hole in the ceiling is right over the center of the large stone, and the black gem seems to have landed right in the middle, cracking it, fractures going out forcefully.

Atop each pedestal sits a seemingly mundane object. Across Jorem sits a dull red crystal, no more three inches in length, but well crafted. In front of Edward is a single leather bracer unadorned except for a spearhead embedded into it. Tetsuwan sees a small metal cage, a sphere with longitudinal bars twisted into into 's' shapes, as if the ball has been grasped on either end and turned in opposite directions. The podium in front of Carl contains a necklace composed of bones. Arannis's eyes catch a wooden circlet, as if grown from twisting wood. And before Dwoinan lies a silver chalice, well made and artful without being gaudy.
Jun 17, 2016 2:43 pm
The young man strides forward to look at the bracer. The spear head stirs up a feeling of familiarity, as if he was once a warrior. Before he realizes what he's doing his metallic arm is inches from the bracer. He stops for a moment, wondering whether he should really touch the thing, but then shrugs and grabs hold of it to take a closer look.
Jun 17, 2016 2:52 pm
Jun 17, 2016 2:53 pm
The metal figure bows its head slightly, as if studying the object on the pedestal before it. The figure makes no other movement.
Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to Keleth
Last edited June 17, 2016 3:53 pm
Jun 17, 2016 2:56 pm
I look at the red gem, but I'm still distracted by the black orb that cracked the dais. I clamber up onto the dais, managing to keep my form so as not to let on my true shape. I move to the orb and reach out and touch it. This...this disrupted the magic in the lines, I say, to no one in particular.
Jun 17, 2016 2:57 pm
The young man stiffens with shock, eyes widening as he slips the bracer onto his left (non-mechanical) wrist. He is silent for a moment, "My name is Edward Elric," he says into the mostly silent room, "I remember that much now."
Jun 17, 2016 3:36 pm
As Jorem approaches the black them, you all more clearly see what it looks like. It is a vaguely roundish chunk of unhewn black gem, very dull and unremarkable. If you were passing this on the road, it would have been completely ignored.

http://whisperingtree.net/blog/images/stories/images/articles/black_tourmaline_2.jpg
OOC:
The gem in this gem is shiny, the gem on the stone is not.
Jun 17, 2016 3:38 pm
I try gently to pick up the stone. I expect it to be quite heavy if it has cracked the dais.
Jun 17, 2016 3:40 pm
It's not very heavy, about the weight you'd expect for it's size, if not just a bit heavier.
OOC:
I ended up editing the last post with some more details before you posted PhantomNimbus.
Jun 17, 2016 3:43 pm
I set the black gem back down, Whatever magic it may have contained is spent. I move back to the red gem on the pedestal and pick this one up to examine it closer.
Jun 17, 2016 3:55 pm
The elf walks towards thesis opposite his cell. He just under 6ft with shorts black hair cut into a Mohawk. He has blue and black tattoos running up his arms and poking out of the collar of his shirt. He looks at the circlet for a moment before reaching out and placing it on his head
Jun 17, 2016 3:58 pm
The metallic humanoid still has not spoken. Perhaps it is incapable of speech? It also appears to be oblivious to its surroundings apart from the pedestal. It now seems doubtful that the bowing movement it made earlier was indeed any form of acknowledgement of anyone else's presence. At length, it picks up the object in front of it and after turning it this way and that, attempts to slot it into the opening on its chest.
Jun 17, 2016 4:19 pm
Keleth sent a note to Scotash
Tetsuwan picks up the orb, quickly slotting it into it's chest, as if it was a practiced action. A small spark lights in its center, turning into a glowing yellow light, which spreads through whatever this being has for veins through it's body. It shudders for a brief second and collects itself. As the light fades to what must be normal levels, what was a shambly robot, looking near broken down, is now a much more collected being. It's as if the dust and rust that was on him is less so, but light doesn't do that, does it?

Jun 17, 2016 4:27 pm
Jorem, I say quietly to myself. Feeling it's familiarity. My name is Jorem, I say, addressing the others, still trying to keep my hood low to cover the lack of a head that would normally fill a helmet.
Jun 17, 2016 4:47 pm
A sense of relief flows over the elf as soon as the circlet touched his head. A wild smile breaks out across his face. He turns to the young man

Good to meet you Edward. I am Arannis He holds his hand out to Edward
Jun 17, 2016 4:49 pm
Edward nods to Arannis and shakes the fleshy hand using his cold metal one, "Looks like we're all starting to feel a bit better, doesn't it?"
Jun 17, 2016 4:51 pm
The old man shuffles slowly out, having spent most of the time watching everyone's actions. Clad in a simple brown robe cinched at the waist with rope, he seems the most plain of the group. He looks down at his own weathered hands and bare feet, and back to the others. He suddenly feels like he is the exotic one.

His attention is now drawn to the silver chalice nearby. Tentatively, he approaches the object, idly scratching his chin and tugging his beard.
Jun 17, 2016 4:58 pm
What was before a tinny, weak voice coming from the suit of armor is now a much strong, more powerful, commanding voice.
OOC:
Do you touch the chalice CancerMan?
Jun 17, 2016 5:04 pm
Arannis smiles at Edward

"It certainly does, doesn't it"

He turns and walks towards Jorem "Well met Jorem" he holds his hand out
Jun 17, 2016 5:38 pm
I holds out my hand and look up, curious about what the elf looks like, I have been averting my gaze from others so they wouldn't see my form. I forget what I seem to be for a moment and look directly at Arannis, showing the elf the empty space where a face and a head should be.

Well met, Arannis, I say. The voice comes out of the area where a face and head should be, but there is nothing in that space.
Last edited June 17, 2016 5:38 pm
Jun 17, 2016 8:58 pm
Arannis clasps Jorem's hand and looks up to meet his eye...and stops

His first emotion is fear followed by an unexplicable anger and finally curiosity.

What is he!

It isn't natural

But maybe he deserves a chance, he was a prisoner as well

"I think you and I are going to have many long conversationsfriend"
Last edited June 17, 2016 9:00 pm
Jun 17, 2016 9:00 pm
My gaze quickly goes back down as I take my hand back. I have a feeling I will have many of those soon enough. Though I don't understand enough to explain it myself.
OOC:
I just realized I will have to RP a character who can convey no facial expressions whatsoever. This should be an interesting challenge.
Last edited June 17, 2016 9:01 pm
Jun 17, 2016 9:07 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
OOC:
I just realized I will have to RP a character who can convey no facial expressions whatsoever. This should be an interesting challenge.
OOC:
I've been thinking about this, and I'll be giving you some options/features to get around without scaring everyone you see, but in my mind, when I see your character, I see glowing balls of light for eyes, capable to emoting. As for smiles and stuff... you're on your own there :D

Also, did you do anything with the red crystal?
Jun 17, 2016 9:09 pm
OOC:
Just holding it at this point.
Jun 17, 2016 10:27 pm
The old man does not yet touch the chalice, spending his first moments studying the unique object from afar. As the others appear to have gathered some clarity from their own personal devices, the man tentatively grasps the chalice and starts to remove it from its dais to look within.
Jun 18, 2016 12:27 am
Keleth sent a note to CancerMan
Jun 18, 2016 12:39 am
"DWOINAN!" shouts the old man. "Thank the divine, that's better." He retains his grip on the chalice, the one great anchor in this eddying whirlwind of chaos.
Jun 18, 2016 4:45 am
The metal figure straightens, and turns its head. There is no question now that it is aware of its surroundings. It bows again, and this time the gesture is unmistakable in its intent. Finally, the figure speaks, "I am Tetsuwan." The voice is deep, strange, and metallic - unlike any voice that has ever issued from a living throat. In fact, Tetsuwan has no lips with which to speak. And yet, this stoic being is undoubtedly alive. The spark of intelligence that previously shone only in its eyes now suffuses its entire body. "I am...uncertain why I am here."
OOC:
In my head, Tetsuwan's voice sounds like Unicron's.
Last edited June 18, 2016 4:46 am
Jun 18, 2016 9:12 am
Stepping back from Jorem, Arannis turns to Dwoinan and Tetsuwan in turn"Well met to you both. It would appear that there is only one of us left without a name"
Jun 19, 2016 3:15 pm
Seeing the glow emanating from Tetsuwan after he placed his crystal into his chest plate I look down to the hole I had seen in my own chest armor. I look at the small red crystal and slowly try to fit it into the hole.
Jun 19, 2016 6:06 pm
OOC:
While Tetsuwan had an actual section of his chest that seems to be missing a piece, Jorem looks like his chestplate was actually blown into, by something small, like a spear or fist.
As soon as Jorem brings the red gem near his chest, he feels it being drawn into his chest cavity. His fingers brush past the hole in his chest and the gem leaps from his fingers and hovers in the center of his chest cavity, rays of energy moving about and filling him. Energy surges up his arms and legs and you see it his armor pieces bind together, cohesively.

Jun 20, 2016 7:20 pm
A sudden rush of arcane energy flies out from the armor blowing the hood back from my helmet. You can all plainly see now that the suit of armor, though it looks more like it should be on a solid form than it has before now, is actually empty. Gaps between the pieces of armor show hollow save for a very faint red glow that seems to be coming from the gem inside the armor. The helmet is an empty hollow cavity where two glowing orbs look out where eyes should normally be.

I look down at my hands, moving the fingers of the grieves. It feels far more natural and familiar. I don't feel as though I'm about to fall apart. I feel like a whole person, as the arcane energy binds me back together.
Jun 20, 2016 7:23 pm
Edward stares at the hollow suit of armor for a moment, feeling an odd sense of deja vu. He decides it can wait until later before he reacts, "That's awesome!"
Jun 20, 2016 7:26 pm
Dwoinan's grip upon the chalice is tight. "So it's pretty obvious you all are about as clueless as I am as to why we're here," he says as he casts his gaze upon each individual. "I figure if we want answers, it's not going to be found in this place." The old man starts to look around the room for an exit.
OOC:
Added Perception roll
Last edited June 20, 2016 7:33 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Jun 20, 2016 7:29 pm
I look to the boy with the metal arm and leg. Thank you, I say, unsure what I should actually say in such a moment.

Yes, a way out of here would be good, I would rather not hang around this prison, I say as I turn to the old man.
Jun 20, 2016 7:30 pm
Edward shrugs and joins the old man in searching.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Jun 22, 2016 6:00 am
The man sat quietly for what felt like an eternity. Seeing the rest of the prisoners get out of their cells and inspect these objects, he steps out of his cell and approaches the necklace. The man is extraordinarily large for a human. He stands well over 6'5, is balding and looks worn. He approaches the bone necklace, picks it up and examines it.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20-1)

(17) - 1 = 16

Jun 22, 2016 6:17 am
Tetsuwan remains still, trying in vain to gather what memories he can. Fragments, scraps, too fleeting and ephemeral to latch onto, whirl about in his head like dry leaves. Calm. I must regain my center and become the calm. Unconsciously Tetsuwan assumes a meditative pose, bringing his hands together, palm to palm, edges pressed lightly against the gem at his chest.

A mission. He was born...no, FORGED for a singular purpose. Forged and tempered like a sword blade. SWORD. Tetsuwan vaguely recalls he is a swordsman- a deadly one. Stalwart. Unrelenting. Where might his sword lie now? And was his mission to protect? Or to destroy?
Jun 22, 2016 7:16 am
Arannis watches as the large human leaves his cell.

If all else fails maybe he and the metal one, Tetsuwan, can force their way out
Jun 22, 2016 1:25 pm
As Carl picks up the necklace, you notice he stands a bit taller, a bit more full. It's a feeling the rest of you recognize. As he puts it on, you all think you know what he's feeling.

Keleth sent a note to fernymerk
As you all look around the room for a way out, you notice there are no doors, just 6 cells evenly spaced around in a circle. Now that you're all more aware, you can call feel the tinge of fading magic. Closer inspection shows intricate arcane and divine carvings all over, on nearly every surface.. Those of you who have some connection to magic can feel it more acutely, but even those without any magical talent are shocked to feel it. This must have been strong magic indeed. But why? To protect you? To keep you trapped?

What happened...?

As you look for a way out, you notice the only hole, and the only source of light, is the hole above you, caused by the falling gem. The opening looks large enough for almost all of you to get out through, if barely. The larger among you may have to try to force some of the crumbling rock out of the way to get out, but it doesn't look impossible.
Jun 22, 2016 3:43 pm
Dwoinan assesses how high the ceiling is and the the hole above them. Then he looks around for something that can be moved, for them to stand on and be a bit closer.
Jun 22, 2016 3:55 pm
The ceiling is about 8 feet above you, but the hole is directly the center of the stone table, which is 3 feet high. You can easily access the hole by climbing onto the table.
OOC:
You all have access to your first level abilities now. I'd ask you still RP your way into them if you can.
Jun 22, 2016 4:03 pm
Arannis climbs onto the table and jumps up, grabbing the edge of the hole and begins to pull himself up. He looks around to see if he can see any living creature around.

He is unsure why but this feels natural to him
Jun 22, 2016 4:21 pm
Dwoinan tries to help. He climbs onto the stone table and tucks the chalice into his clothes. As the object settles near his waist, Dwoinan pauses as a wave of nostalgia begins to ripple from his belly.

The old man shakes it off, but the puzzled expression remains. He gets under Arannis and pushes up on elf's feet to assist his ascent.
Jun 22, 2016 4:58 pm
As you look up into the hole, you notice it digs upward about 5'. The hole itself starts as the same stone as your ceiling, then sharply transitions into a very nice, grey stone. Looking up the hole, you can see the room above has a ceiling, with a room above it, and maybe a third room above it? The sunlight is beaming strongly, making it hard to look straight up. The feeling is amazing on your skin. You realize that the small gem lying at your feet, smaller than a person's fist, punched through at least 3 stone ceilings then a 5' stone floor.
OOC:
Arannis is going to climb up, with Dwoinan helping? Give me an Athletics check with advantage
Jun 22, 2016 5:02 pm
Edward climbs up on the table next, "We'll help you and the big guys up once we're up there."
OOC:
This is assuming that the person ahead of me is able to get up too.

Rolls

Athletics (advantage if the old dude helps) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d20+4 : (18) + 4 = 22

Jun 22, 2016 5:10 pm
Athletics checks
Last edited June 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Athletics - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Jun 22, 2016 5:11 pm
OOC:
Yup, unless someone explicitly declines help or the group declines to help someone, everyone can take advantage on the Athletics roll.
Jun 22, 2016 5:13 pm
Once up, Arannis turns and offers hand to those behind him
Last edited June 22, 2016 5:29 pm
Jun 24, 2016 6:17 pm
The man ponders for a bit, then follows the other prisoners up into the hole.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Jun 25, 2016 12:50 am
Dwoinan looks around the chamber. "Is that all the little ones?" he asks, clearly categorizing the constructs as larger individuals.
Jun 25, 2016 7:13 pm
Tetsuwan looks at those who have climbed and are now reaching down to help, and at the old man who has remained on the table. Tetsuwan wonders whether they would be able to support his weight. "Please." He says to Dwoinan with an "after you" gesture and prepares to help the old man clamber up.
Last edited June 25, 2016 7:14 pm
Jun 27, 2016 4:59 pm
OOC:
I realize I'm not doing this right for PbP... this is kind of mundane and adds drama, but not necessary.
Working together, you all make it up, though Dwoinan, Tetsuwan, and Jorem need to use a bit of strength to break away at the crumbling rock a bit.

Once you get up, you find yourself in a large, almost empty, audience room, shaped like a circle was cut two thirds the way through, about 80ft at it's widest. There is a second balcony level, though you can't see a way up from where you are. You come up near the entrance, by a large set of metal doors, at the peak of the circular end of the room. Opposite at the flat end is a raised platform with long metallic table, though no chairs as far as you can see. There are two doors arches on the flat wall, each a quarter of the way in, and two doors at the widest points of the circular part of the room. You can see some pieces of decayed timber on the arches, but not enough to be called a door. There are shreds of cloth from the balcony level hanging down, faded in color. These were probably banners or flags at some point. Looking up again, you see a high ceiling, and can now make up there are two levels above you. The chamber is otherwise bare.
OOC:
I will have a map up, at some point. Gotta figure out if it's easier to just photoshop myself, of there's a good other tool to use.
Jun 27, 2016 5:21 pm
Dwoinan pauses to catch his breath. "This look familiar to any of you?" he asks, though inwardly he feels like he already knows the answer.
Jun 27, 2016 5:25 pm
As I clamber up and out of the hole I am carrying the black stone that was down on the table. I look up at the holes above. How could such a small stone have fallen so hard. Multiple floors and a solid stone tablet. It weighs no more than it should.

I look to the old man as he speaks, No, I barely remember myself, let alone places. Looks like a theater of sorts.
Jun 27, 2016 5:36 pm
Dwoinan looks over the armored entity and says, deadpan, "Yeah, I think you forgot some parts, that's for sure."
Jun 28, 2016 7:12 pm
Arranis walks towards the raised platform and examines the table.
OOC:
Am I able to search with perception and either arcana or nature? I'd like to use the nature search subconsciously like muscel memory
Jun 28, 2016 7:15 pm
Edward looks around, "Anybody know which way is out?" he says as he wanders around the room, looking for anything interesting.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Jun 30, 2016 6:44 pm
There is always one way out, I say as I ignore the comment from the old man. I point upwards to the holes that have been punched in the ceilings above. I am unsure how we would reach that though.

I look around the room as well to see what I can see as far as exits.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Jun 30, 2016 8:02 pm
OOC:
There are 4 doorways to exit through, and the closed metal doors.
Jun 30, 2016 8:09 pm
Dwoinan ambles over to the metal doors to see if it is unlocked, and tries to open it.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Jul 3, 2016 9:16 pm
OOC:
DexCon is over, so let me get back to gaming.
As you guys start looking around the room, you don't find much. The table is made of a dark stone, well constructed, unadorned and functional, but something about it is strange, almost ominous. The large metal doors behind you aren't locked, but no amount of pulling is moving them at all; you suspect they're rusted shut. But behind the table, on the back wall, you notice stone weapon racks, still with some weapons on them. You can find two long swords, two spears, and two maces, one on each side of the table.

As the group walks to the center of the room to take the full look around, Edward hears something coming from the 4 door openings.
Jul 4, 2016 5:48 am
Tetsuwan crosses the room to the weapon rack and takes one of the swords. It feels right in his hands. He was meant to wield a blade. His body settles into a half-remembered meditative ritual of readiness: sword held vertically, the edge of the blade facing foward, spare palm held flat against the cross guard level with the gem in his chest, breathing steady: The Lotus Flower Opens.
Last edited July 4, 2016 6:15 am
Jul 4, 2016 7:36 am
Arannis follows Tetsuwan and walks towards the weapon racks, all the while casting glances towards the table.

He he picks up the sword, a spear and a mace in turn and tries each out before replacing it back on the rack

"Does anyone have a preference for these? I seem to be quite comfortable with any of them"
Jul 4, 2016 9:05 pm
Edward is drawn immediately to one of the spears, "This is mine," he says simply while waiting for the others to make a selection.
Jul 5, 2016 12:49 pm
I pick up each weapon in turn. I don't know. None of these feel very...right, I say as the mace, the sword, and the spear all feel like unfamiliar objects in my hands. Too large and bulky.
Jul 11, 2016 1:40 am
"Spears are good for distance, I figure," mumbles Dwoinan. "However, I think I'll try this heavy thing. Less risk of me cutting myself."

The old man hefts one of the maces, wondering if he's made the right choice. "Not to mention, I feel like I need a hand free. Don't ask me why."
Jul 13, 2016 4:44 pm
Scotash sent a note to Keleth
Jul 13, 2016 4:59 pm
Jul 13, 2016 6:08 pm
Arannis takes a closer look at the remaining weapons. He picks up the sword in one hand and starts swinging it liking the familiarity of it

Hmm not quite right

He puts it down and picks up the spear and takes a closer look at the metal head. He walks towards Tetsuwan and holds the point of the spear out towards him

"Would you mind using your sword to take the metal bit of my spear off please?"
Jul 13, 2016 6:16 pm
Tetsuwan hesitates only a moment, then nods and with one swift motion cuts the proffered spear cleanly just above the haft. The severed spearhead clatters to the floor.

Instinctively, Tetsuwan becomes aware that his favored blade was much heavier than this longsword. He notes the adjustments he must make to wield this weapon effectively.
Last edited July 13, 2016 6:20 pm
Jul 13, 2016 6:18 pm
"Much appreciated, thank you"

Arannis takes a step back and swings the staff

"Ah, much better. That feels... Natural"
Last edited July 13, 2016 6:18 pm
Jul 13, 2016 6:58 pm
Edward stands with his spear for a moment and looks like he's focusing very hard on something, then suddenly speaks (probably a bit too loudly), "Do you hear that? What is that noise?"
OOC:
Sorry, I had meant to address the sounds, but I somehow forgot!
Last edited July 13, 2016 6:58 pm
Jul 18, 2016 4:31 pm
As the others are noticing the noise Jorem sees the spearhead clatter to the ground with a small amount of the wooden shaft left on he picks it up and moves it around. It's about the size of a small dagger and feels much better to wield. This should do, I say, using the spearhead as a makeshift dagger.
OOC:
Could I use this as a standard dagger, Keleth? Seems more appropriate to my character.
Jul 18, 2016 4:41 pm
OOC:
You sure can! We also have a new player, so I'll have a retcon post up shortly, and we'll move forward.
Jul 19, 2016 5:36 pm
OOC:
Ok, so unfortunately, we lost a player, whom I've now replaced. We've setup ratcatcher's character and I've gotten all the info we need for them, so here is a really terribly put together retcon, in summary format. No details have changed for all the other players, but instead of meeting a big, hulking man, you've met a small, spry gnome.
As you all woke from your cells, Dwyn was last. Maybe playing sleep, maybe actually still asleep, Dwyn wakes to find nothing but tall folk and what look like machines about. As the rest reach for the items at the pedestals in front of them, Dwyn notices a necklace in front of them, a very dark, unhewn stone tied to a piece of dark string.
OOC:
ratcatcher, you can put up a post about your character walking up, as the other characters did. I'd ask you not do something too big or deep. If you feel like your character would have said or done something significant, as long as it doesn't change what other characters did, feel free. The only thing you can't do, because it's kind of been established, is interact with the stone at the center of the dais, though you can nearly interact with it if you'd like. Please do describe your character. You can time jump from there to choosing a weapon. Once you make your post, I'll move the scene along!
Jul 19, 2016 11:41 pm
Caught.
That was the first thought the young gnome had on waking, and it’s a hard one to shake.
Dwyn watched the others introduce themselves. "Dwyn", was all she said to the strangers. She followed their lead, but tried to keep her back to the wall as much as she could.
After everyone else had taken the object in front of them, Dwyn reached out for the necklace.

She accepted help to climb up, and found herself in a room bigger than she’d ever been in. She tried to hide her unfamiliarity, but anyone near her would have heard a small gasp.
OOC:
Going to switch to present tense now that it’s caught up.
While the others rifle through the weaponry, Dwyn helps herself to one of the swords. A bit bigger than I’d like, she thinks, but it’ll have to do. She notices Jorem clutching the makeshift dagger. Smart. These folks look like they can handle themselves. It’ll be good to have them onside if trouble comes.

If. Who was she kidding? When.
Last edited July 19, 2016 11:41 pm
Jul 20, 2016 1:52 am
No sooner than when Dwyn picks up her blade, the shuffling you all heard in the distance becomes louder, and you can hear it coming from all four doors. Against the back wall where you are, you can't see the doors next to you, but you can make out humanoid shapes in the doors on the curve of the wall.

http://gamersplane.com/images/gameMaps/castle_1.jpg
OOC:
You are down by the two blue bars at the bottom; they are the weapon racks. The gray area is the slightly raised area upon which is the table sits. The red bars are the doors. The room, at it's widest, is about 100ft. The star burst is where you climbed up, though it's not an explosion like that, but more a hole.

All praise my mighty map making skills! If anyone has suggestions on tools, please, do tell.
Jul 20, 2016 5:01 am
"Are they friend or foe?" Dwoinan asks rhetorically. He prepares himself by stepping onto the raised platform, mace held tight in his gnarled hand. His free hand clutches at his waist, clasping the chalice tucked within his clothes.
Jul 20, 2016 6:27 am
Tetsuwan places himself on the dais in between the weapon racks, a pace from the curved wall behind him. Now this blade will be tested.
OOC:
Readied action to strike whatever comes through those doors.
Last edited July 22, 2016 11:54 pm
Jul 20, 2016 7:33 am
"Something is wrong. I..I..I feel cold. Like there is a knot inside of me

Arannis grasps his staff harder, his knuckles turning white.

His instincts start to take over and he moves forward until he has room then takes up a fighting stance. His lips begin moving as if he is chanting but on in a whisper
Jul 20, 2016 7:51 am
Dwyn rushes over to the side of the nearest door, her back to the wall. Her hands tremble, clutching the sword. She takes a deep breath.

"Arannis? You alright?"
Last edited July 20, 2016 8:05 am
Jul 20, 2016 9:53 am
No once taking his eyes of the doorway that the shape can be seen in he replies to Dwyn

"I'm not sure. Something tells me that whatever they are is....wrong. They shouldn't be here. I'm sorry, if I only had my memories I might be able to explain more but..."

His voice trails off as he once again gives his full attention to the things approaching
Jul 20, 2016 10:36 am
Keleth sent a note to CancerMan
Jul 20, 2016 12:54 pm
Edward joins the others on the raised platform and sends his spear into a couple of spins, just to get used to his weapon before they are confronted.
Jul 22, 2016 7:09 pm
"Aye, cold as the dark," rasps Dwoinan. "I feel it, too, lad. I think we could do with something... warm." He clenches his free hand, touching the chalice within his clothes. A heat begins to build within his belly, and as Dwoinan mentally envisions the light and heat of fire, he opens his hand and produces a ball of flame that seems to envelop his palm.

Dwoinan's eyes sparkle with revelation. "Fire is the light that defeats the darkness, folks! There's something spiritual about that."
OOC:
Casting Produce Flame
Jul 22, 2016 9:56 pm
Arannis sees Dwoinan produce a flame in his hand and a sense of familiarity comes to him

"I think I can do that too"

He focuses on his upturned palm and tries to copy what Dwoinan did, but finds he has to changes the phrases slightly to get the spell to work.

A ball of flame appears in his hand.

"Ready to light these things up"
OOC:
Also casts produce flame
Last edited July 22, 2016 10:01 pm
Jul 22, 2016 10:11 pm
OOC:
Are you guys waiting then? Also, wanted to make sure it's clear: there's plenty of light around you, largely because of holes in the ceiling (all of which are relatively small compared to the big hole above where you climbed out).
Jul 22, 2016 10:31 pm
Dwoinan waits for whatever might reveal themselves from the doors. He watches the approaching shapes apprehensively, but refrains from doing anything else until it's obvious there is no danger.
Jul 22, 2016 11:44 pm
Dwyn also waits, keeping an eye for the first signs of trouble.
Jul 26, 2016 5:33 pm
Tetsuwan raises his blade, preparing for whatever comes through the door, as the rest of the part gather behind him. You all start to feel a chill in the air, but two globes of fire around you keep it mostly at bay.

The shuffling grows louder and clearer, you hear dragging, something against the floor. Suddenly, an instinct in Tetsuwan triggers and he swings his blade at neck level, and you hear a clunk as a skeletal head rolls through the doorway, followed by the rest of the body falling down. The shuffling noise from the door you're at continues, and you see skeletons start to exit the other 3 doors.
OOC:
I'm just gonna say you're all at the bottom left door since you didn't really pick one or the other :p
Jul 26, 2016 5:59 pm
Dwoinan turns to the bottom right door and pushes his fiery hand in the direction of the skeletons. The flames around his hand do not diminish, but a gout of fire flashes out and arcs onto the threshold, culminating in a bonfire to try and impede progress through that doorway.
OOC:
I'm assuming we can act (if not I will retcon my action), and will cast Create Bonfire
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You create a bonfire on ground that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, the bonfire fills a 5-foot cube. Any creature in the bonfire's space when you cast the spell must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 fire damage. A creature must also make the saving throw when it enters the bonfire's space for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there.
Jul 26, 2016 6:14 pm
Edward grips his spear tighter, prepared to use it on any skeletons that get near.
OOC:
Readying an action to attack any skeleton that gets in range

Rolls

Attack (Readied) - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d8+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Jul 26, 2016 6:14 pm
OOC:
Yah, we're not quite in combat yet, but I'm letting you each do something. Given PbP and the story style I'm going for, sometimes I'll put up a post and leave it for you guys to respond, doing actions within reason. Obviously, no half hour rants or casting a 3 hour ritual, but move about more freely, interact with the environment, even take some actions with the scene are fine. Like in this case, you saw skeletons, you had fire in your hand, you put fire on the ground. Great move!

Naat: You mean any more skeletons exit the door you're by? Yes, there are more skeletons exiting. Sorry if I was unclear. It's not a flood of skeletons, but there are more than one coming out of all four doors.
Jul 26, 2016 9:12 pm
As the skeletons walk in Arranis extinguishes the fireball in his hand and he grasps his quarter staff.

His hands run up the length of it and it starts to glow with a faint light

His eyes burn with disgust as he stares at the approaching horde
OOC:
Casting Shillelagh on my quarter staff
Jul 27, 2016 9:54 pm
Dwyn presses her back against the wall by the door. If I can go unnoticed by the next skeleton to walk in through that door, I can get it from behind, she thinks. If only my damn hands would stop shaking.

Rolls

Stealth (with Rogue Expertise) - (1d20+7)

(16) + 7 = 23

Aug 2, 2016 1:30 pm
Edward positions himself to the side of the door, striking another skeleton and dispatching it, the bones falling to the floor, again lifeless. As he does, Dwoinan points at the other door along the wall, and his ball of fire flies smoothly along, striking the bits of tinder remaining from the door that once stood there, sparking into a fire much larger than the fuel would allow. Two skeletons walk through, coming out charred, and fall to the floor. Arannis takes the moment to close their eyes, running their hands across the quarterstaff. It seems to grow slightly, as if coming alive, and fits more naturally in Aranni's hands. Dwyn takes advantage of the initial chaos to take position by the door, using Edward and Tetsuwan to hide. Jorem suddenly looks to the side, by the metal doors. "Do you hear that?"
Aug 2, 2016 1:33 pm
Edward strains his ears to hear what Jorem heard while trying to keep an eye on the skeletons.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Aug 2, 2016 1:37 pm
OOC:
I apparently only copied half my post...
More skeletons pour out each door. The fire burning at the bottom right door seems to be keeping any from massing out of that side, while another two appear at the doorway by the party. There are now 4 at each of the upper doors.
Aug 2, 2016 4:16 pm
Tetsuwan strides forward, sword leading. He brings the blade down two-handed on one of the skeletons: Lightning Splits the Tree Trunk.
Last edited August 2, 2016 4:17 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Longsword attack, two-handed damage - (1d20+5, 1d10+3)

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

1d10+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

Aug 2, 2016 4:19 pm
Edward follows Tetsuwan forward, thrusting his spear at the skull of one skeleton and then launching his foot up toward the thing's chest in a front kick.

Rolls

Spear attack - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d8+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Unarmed attack - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (8) + 5 = 13

1d4+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Aug 2, 2016 4:40 pm
Dwoinan keeps his concentration on the bonfire, choking the access point off. As the skeletons from the upper doors are still at a distance, the old man chooses to rain fire upon the undead he can see behind the burning portal. He picks out one of the skeletons and holds aloft his hand, still enveloped in flame. Whispered words spill from his lips almost instinctively like he has spoken them countless times before, and Sacred Flame cascades from above.
OOC:
Sacred Flame.
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage. The target gains no benefit from cover for this saving throw.

Rolls

Initiative (added post-posting, if needed) - (1d20-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

Aug 2, 2016 6:44 pm
Arannis strides purposely towards one of skeletons, an unexplained anger welling up in side of him.

He whirls the staff around his head and brings it down on a skeleton

Rolls

Initiative (if needed) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Attack on skeleton - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Damage - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Aug 2, 2016 7:00 pm
Dwyn attacks the closest skeleton standing, leaping forward with the sword.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Attack - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Damage (if relevant) (plus sneak attack) - (1d8-1, 1d6)

1d8-1 : (1) - 1 = 0

1d6 : (3) = 3

Aug 9, 2016 1:29 pm
Tetsuwan's strike cleaves a skeleton in twain, leaving room for Edward to strike forward with his spear and foot, downing two more. However, he gives a small grunt in frustration as he notices the hallway behind is filled with more skeletons. Arannis and Dwyn both help dispatch the skeletons remaining around he door, giving you a moment to breath as Dwoinan continues his magical onslaught against the door next to you, taking down another skeleton.

Jorem turns to face the large metal doors with a start as a large bang strikes the doors, causing them to fly off their hinges, landing by the two upper doors, crushing everything under them. A large skeleton, at least 14' tall scrapes into the room. Looking past it however, you see an open causeway leading outdoors.
Aug 9, 2016 3:42 pm
"Shit!" Edward grumbles as the huge skeleton enters the room, "Think we can get past it without fighting it?" he asks, lashing out at another couple of regular skeletons

Rolls

Spear (2H) - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (16) + 5 = 21

1d8+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Unarmed - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d4+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Aug 9, 2016 4:25 pm
OOC:
Where are the metal doors in relation to the raised platform we are on?
Aug 9, 2016 5:34 pm
OOC:
Opposite side of the room.
Aug 9, 2016 6:34 pm
"It's worth a shot!" says Dwoinan, trying to keep the skeletons at his door from crossing the bonfire. "I don't know how long of a reach it's got, but maybe if it reaches the center of this chamber, we'll have more room to move around." He launches another Sacred Flame at the nearby skeletons.

Rolls

Sacred Flame damage - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Aug 9, 2016 8:34 pm
OOC:
How close are the other party members to Arannis and the other skeletons?
Aug 9, 2016 8:38 pm
OOC:
Unless I missed something, I thought you were all at the bottom left door, so within 10ft of each other, at the farthest.
Aug 9, 2016 9:45 pm
As the large skeleton bursts into the room, Arannis turns to face it

"So, do we fight or do we run? Right now I'm happy with either"

Arannis prepares to hit any skeleton that comes within reach

Rolls

Prepared attack - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Damage if it - (2d8+3)

(81) + 3 = 12

Correct damage - (1d8+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Aug 10, 2016 12:40 am
"Go. I will keep it occupied."

Tetsuwan charges the giant skeleton. The Hare Climbs The Mountain.

Rolls

Longsword attack, two-handed damage - (1d20+5, 1d10+3)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d10+3 : (9) + 3 = 12

Aug 10, 2016 6:35 pm
Edward nods his agreement and begins to lead the push around the skeleton, fighting to get to the exit door. As he nears the other side he sighs and realizes that he can't leave the metal man to die and rushes it from the side spear thrusting and legs kicking out.
OOC:
EDIT: DAMN, that's a good hit!
Last edited August 10, 2016 6:36 pm

Rolls

Spear attack - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

1d8+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

Unarmed - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d4+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Extra Crit damage - (1d8)

(7) = 7

Aug 13, 2016 11:05 pm
"No one is getting left behind," Dwyn says, her face set in an expression of determination. She continues fighting the closest minor skeletons.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Damage (if hits) - (1d8-1)

(5) - 1 = 4

Aug 24, 2016 5:44 pm
As you swarm the giant skeleton, you notice your weapons do no more than nick or scrape against the monstrosity. More skeletons clamor over the fallen doors and out the doors by the raised floor.
OOC:
There are now a dozen skeletons in the room, not counting the giant.
Aug 24, 2016 5:54 pm
"Damn it, this thing won't go down! Screw it, let's make a break for it!"
Aug 24, 2016 6:03 pm
"Come on, let's move!" says Dwoinan, heading for the apparent exit. He holds up his hand aflame and summons another Sacred Flame, this time on the giant skeleton in the hopes of distracting it enough to allow people to pass by.

Rolls

Sacred Flame damage - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Aug 25, 2016 2:15 pm
Dwyn follows Dwonian, keeping the sword ready for any incoming attackers.
Aug 25, 2016 3:30 pm
Tetsuwan waits until everyone is clear, then maneuvers away from the giant skeleton. Leaf Dances in the Gale.
OOC:
Disengage action after everyone is clear.
Last edited August 25, 2016 3:32 pm
Aug 26, 2016 7:19 pm
As the others run for the door, Arranis darts forward, getting as close to as many skeletons as possible, with his magically imbued staff raised above his head. His eyes look like there is a thunderstorm going on in them.

He slams the butt of on the floor releasing a wave of thunder

"That should slow them down"

He turns and races to catch up with the others
OOC:
casting thunderwave

A wave of thunderous force sweeps out from you. Each creature in a 15 foot cube originating from you must make a Con saving throw. on a failed save a creature takes 2d8 thunder damage and is pushed 10ft away from you. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn't pushed.
In addition, unsecured objects that are completely within the area of effect are automatically pushed 10 ft away from you by the spell's effect and the spell emits a thunderous boom audible out to 300 feet.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell

Can't remember if I add my spell casting mod, if so add 5

Rolls

Thunderwave damage - (2d8)

(81) = 9

Aug 30, 2016 3:05 am
Jorem wastes no time in trying to bolt past the hulking skeleton. Where are these things coming from?, he shouts to the rest of the strangers as he runs past. He eyes his makeshift dagger briefly, but assumes it will have little to no effect on this thing.
OOC:
Disengage action, and then running for it. Don't want no AOO.
Aug 30, 2016 4:16 am
Noticing your attacks on the giant monstrosity are futile, your group breaks off, Arannis and Dwonain casting final spells to hold off the onslaught of incoming regular sized skeletons. With Tetsuwan the last to leave the audience chamber, you dash down a long, tall hallway, having been large enough to fit the giant skeleton, light streaming out it's end. As you pass more side passages, you see more skeletons coming at you, and those brave enough to peek back see little more than bone. As you get closer to the exit, Dwyn's sharp eyes notice trouble. "There's a metal portcullis in front of us!"

Reaching the portcullis, you look around for a way to open it, finding naught, leaving the stronger among you attempting to break it down. Just as you reach what looks like may be a dead end, the giant skeleton's quakes seem to shake it loose enough that a final heave by Tetsuwan knocks it down. You run out into the sunlight, it's warm basking over you, energizing you. Breaking into a run again, with the swarm of undead on your heels, you find yourself on what looks like dead land, little more than dirt and rotten trees, with no sign of life by your feet. But surprisingly enough, ahead of you stands a thick forest, vibrant as any you can remember seeing. There is a sharp divide in the ground, as if a line drawn, where the blighted land meets the living, two different worlds stitched together. Almost directly in front of you, on the living side of the line, are what look like 3 wagons.

You keep running, starting to tire, with the horde growing ever closer, when suddenly arrows whiz by your head, striking the skeletons behind you. You break across the line just as some of the skeletons reach you... and crumble to dust as they attempt to enter the lush grass. Undead after undead turn to powder, including the giant, as if an invisible barrier would not let them leave. You fall to the ground, exhausted.

When you finally look up, you notice the wagons look strange, and you don't see any horses or oxen in sight. You do see four armor clad people approach you, blades in hand. A older looking halfling in nice traveler's clothing breaks through them, gesturing them to lower their blades. "Clearly, they're not skeletons. Though what they'd be doing in there, I have no idea. Ok, blades back up."
Aug 30, 2016 4:36 am
Edward places his hands on his knees and bends over, breathing hard. After a moment, he straightens himself up and looks at their saviors, "Thanks for the rescue, didn't think we were gonna make it there for a second!"
Aug 30, 2016 6:51 am
Dwoinan rises to his knees at the presence of others. He didn't come this far just to be taken down by apparent saviors, so he holds his empty hands up to show no threat.
Aug 30, 2016 7:08 am
Tetsuwan bows slightly to the strangers, and raises his sword in salute but maintains an attitude of battle readiness.
Aug 30, 2016 9:55 pm
Arannis leans casually on his staff and eyes their rescuers.

"Thank you. Can you tell us where we are?"

His earlier anger subsiding now that the skeletons were gone
Aug 30, 2016 10:16 pm
As you stand, blades follow you up. "Where we are? You just ran out of a castle no one enters, in the middle of woods almost no one passes through, and you don't know where you are?" the halfling says with a look bordering between confusion and anger. He looks you each up and down. "If it weren't for the fact that only of you are that all that youthful, I'd have guessed you were a bunch of kids on some stupid dare. But judging from your clothes, teleportation spell gone wrong?"
OOC:
Forgot about Edwards age, fixed.
Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm
Edward laughs, "I don't even know WHO I am, let alone where. Now, are you going to answer the question or not?"
OOC:
Edward is like 16 :P
Last edited August 30, 2016 10:18 pm
Aug 30, 2016 11:21 pm
"Careful, boy," mutters Dwoinan to Edward, hands still raised with his newfound mace on the ground. "Best not to piss off someone that's got the drop of us. Let's talk nice, eh? I think there's room for a civil discussion here."
Aug 31, 2016 12:27 am
Jorem pushes past Edward. Excuse me, sir. I believe it matters not how we got here, but rather where we are, and what you plan to do about our presence here, he says from the hollow cavity where his face should be. Two glowing orbs act as eyes starring down the guards.

His hand still clenches his makeshift dagger, unsure how competent he will be in a fight. He doesn't feel as though physical altercations are much of his strong suite.
Aug 31, 2016 4:48 am
As you grip your weapon, you notice it's turned to rusted dust. In fact even your clothing looks more worn, you think.
Aug 31, 2016 5:41 am
"We mean you no harm, believe me when I saw that we are just as confused as you are. We just want to know where we are and what this place is. Will you help us?"

Arannis is trying to be as non threatening as possible

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Aug 31, 2016 1:36 pm
Jorem, taken back by the sudden rustiness of the dagger, and the suddenly haggard appearance of his cloak almost forgets that the soldiers are there with weapons drawn. He looks over the stone that he is still holding in his other hand, the one that broke the dais.
OOC:
Does the stone look any different than it had?
Aug 31, 2016 2:42 pm
OOC:
The stone looks the same, like dull obsidian.
The halfling looks Arannis up and down, finally shrugging. "This, ladies and gentlemen, is the Dead Forest. A strange name, given it's quite alive, but I suspected it's more to do with this castle than the forest itself. The castle has no name, or if it does, no one I know know it." He walks up to Tetsuwan, looking him over carefully, inspecting the exposed mechanations. "I assume you found this mechano in there? Looks ancient. An auto right? Can't be souled?"

None of you recognize the terms he's using.
OOC:
By which I mean, mechano, "an auto", "souled". You might figure out what he means in context, but he's using the words as common terms.
Aug 31, 2016 4:01 pm
Dwoinan clears his throat and shifts his weight on his knees. He seems to be in physical pain having to remain there during all this. "Sorry, sir," he says with earnest honesty, "I have no memory of how I came to be here, and quite frankly, who I am. I believe it is the same for my companions. These places and words you speak of are not familiar to me. I think we would be happy to answer your questions as best we can, but please understand that our memory lapses limit what our answers will be."
Sep 2, 2016 5:37 pm
Jorem seems to have completely tuned the guards out at this point and turns back the direction they came.
OOC:
What do I see when I look back towards the castle?
Sep 5, 2016 1:50 am
Turning, Jorem looks back to face the way you've come. Behind you, on a wide ring of dead land, stands a menacing looking, massive castle. Made of dark stones and sharp edges, rising towers and many exits. It's clearly aged, the outer walls bearing the marks of siege, the moat dried up and in some places filled in. It's look says dread, but it's clearly lifeless, and not in the undead sense. No one has been here for a long time, but whomever did could not have meant well. There is a clear contrast between the castle and the land around it, and the forest next to you, between life and death.

The halfling stands, thinking, when you hear a voice call from one of the wagons. "Tobin! You get those swords down and bring those folk over! Clearly they need our help!" You can make out the light dings of pots and pans being moved about. The halfling looks up and shrugs again. "She's right; she always is. This isn't the place for answers; we were getting ready to move on. If you join us, you work for your time. I'd charge, but you obviously have nothing on you." He motions the guards to lower their swords, and the female guard, clearly in charge, gives you a look somewhere between distrust and disgust before lowering her sword, but doesn't put it away. She waits for you to move forward, taking up the rear.
Sep 5, 2016 5:36 am
"Thank you, your help is appreciated"

Arannis tosses his rotting staff aside and walks towards Dwoinan and offers him his hand to help him up. With a wry smile he adds

"Come young friend, let see if we can ease your pain a bit
Last edited September 5, 2016 5:37 am
Sep 5, 2016 9:03 am
Dwoinan accepts the hand, gratefully. He stands with a grunt, audible popping sounds coming from his knees. Leaving the rusting mace on the ground where it lies, Dwoinan moves forward where guided.
Sep 5, 2016 12:31 pm
Tetsuwan relaxes his stance and joins the rest. He keeps the rusty sword - it's better than nothing, and it appears he himself is as much a relic here, wherever "here" is.
Sep 5, 2016 1:44 pm
Jorem looks back one more time before following the group. He continues to look the stone over but can't discern much else. He thinks it must have some importance. He just isn't sure what.
Sep 5, 2016 5:12 pm
Dwyn follows, keeping quiet. She leaves the rusted weapon behind her.
Sep 6, 2016 3:50 pm
Edward shrugs and follows along with the others.
Sep 7, 2016 3:53 pm
"Oy, is anyone hurt?" Dwoinan thinks to ask. In all the hustle and bustle, he realizes that he hasn't seen anyone get struck by a skeleton, but he hadn't exactly paid much attention at the time.
Oct 9, 2016 5:48 pm
As the halfling leads you back, the first thing you notice is that the 3 wagons have some strange mechanism attached to where animal harnesses would normally go. A long, horizontal cylinder with numerous leg-like limbs coming off, you've never seen anything like it. As you approach, you hear pots and pans dinging out of one of the wagons. "I'm Tobin Fairdeal, trader extraordinaire. If you're traveling with me, you'll be working for it. In exchange, you can occasionally ride, you get the safety of my guards, and food." the halfling starts. "I've been all up and down the co..."

All of a sudden, a large spoon flies out the back of a wagon, striking Tobin in the arm. "That's Tobin Fleetfoot you mean! Calling yourself something else doesn't change your name, you olf!" A female halfling stick her head and arm out the back of the wagon, waving a ladle in the air. "Now you gentlemen and women seem to be down on your luck. I've got a pot of stew." She calls out to the other wagons and a three other halflings pop out to help her bring down a large pot and a large breadboard. Reigniting the hastily put out campfire, a hardy, simple meal is brought up in no time.

As everyone eats, Tobin lays out his proposal. "I'm heading to Cliffsedge next, and you're welcome to travel with me, as caravan workers, with whatever skills you may have. We don't have enough room for everyone to always be riding, but I'm sure we can work something out. Are any of you from Cliffsedge?" He looks around at your stoic, confused faces. "Oh right, no memory. Well, maybe some of the clerics there can help with that."
OOC:
Sorry for the long delay; let's get back into a rhythm. The trip will take just under a week. If you guys want to talk to each other or talk to any member of the caravan, go for it. If nothing by Wednesday, I'll move you along to the city.
Oct 9, 2016 6:05 pm
Dwoinan gorges himself on the meal, not really knowing when he last had something to eat. "That castle back there. What was it? You seemed to know about the skeletons within, and of the power that stopped them from pursuing us."
Oct 9, 2016 9:32 pm
Poking the camp fire a bit, Tobin shrugs. "As I said before, no one I know has any idea what the castle is called. It's name, if it ever had one, is lost to history. I certainly didn't know anything about the undead or any power; no one enters that ruin. Almost no one enters this forest at all. But you see the ground over here. It goes from living to dead at a line, in a circle around the fell place. You don't have to be an archmage to know there's magic there, magic you shouldn't be messing with."
Oct 10, 2016 1:36 pm
We had little choice in, 'messing with it', as you say. We awoke inside that place. We have no memory of the time before, Jorem says. His glowing orb eyes stare right at Tobin.
Oct 10, 2016 6:01 pm
Edward sucks down the food as quickly as he can, eating so rapidly he's hardly taking time to chew his food. "Well," he starts, mouth still half-full of food, "Whatever that place was, I'd rather not go back!"
Oct 10, 2016 7:24 pm
Arannis nods his head in agreement to Edward's statement. "Is there anyone in cliffesedge who might know more about the castle?"
Oct 10, 2016 7:33 pm
Tetsuwan listens to the conversation but remains silent. Like the others, he has lost his memories and his identity beyond his name. Something gnaws at him inside. An unfinished task, an unfulfilled oath. If he could only remember!
Oct 10, 2016 8:42 pm
"There are numerous scholars there, but I'm not sure if any of them would know much. This is a topic few people are willing to think about, let alone discuss."
Oct 11, 2016 2:04 pm
Few people, but that means there are some people that will talk about this, where may we find them?, Jorem asks.
Oct 13, 2016 8:51 pm
"There will always be people willing to talk about anything, but frankly, anyone willing to talk about that vile place are probably not people you want to associate with. And if your own curiosity drew you there, you deserve to have lost your memory." Visibly irked, he throws the stick he was prodding with into the fire and walks over to the lead wagon, tinkering with whatever is attached to it's lead.
Oct 14, 2016 1:35 pm
Edward leans in to whisper to Jorem, "Seems like a touchy subject for these people. Maybe we should just let it go for now."
Oct 14, 2016 3:45 pm
"Or maybe just for him," Dwoinan says, leaning in to join the whispers. "Perhaps we try the missus." He looks over to the wagon from where the female halfling had corrected Tobin earlier.
Oct 16, 2016 6:38 pm
OOC:
I'm going to go ahead and advance the story. You are welcome to continue the conversation at the fire, or talk with anyone on the trip. If the group is good on both accounts, you can pick straight up with below.
The caravan is very quick at taking down the camp. Tobin gives each of you tasks, ranging from scrubbing pans to packing things away, with the guards keeping their eyes on you. Once packed, you notice Tobin, his wife, and the lead guard each take a seat on the wagons just behind the odd contraptions. They each take something they're wearing around their necks and place it into a compartment in front of them, with a long stick coming off it. They each push forward on the stick in turn, and the cylinder begins to turn, the protrusions acting as feet, pulling the wagon along. It's unlike anything any of you have seen before.

Tobin seems to know exactly where he's going, finding the thinnest patches of trees, large enough for the wagons to pass through. Through the trip, you find yourself walking along side the caravan, along with the guards, though on occasion some of the riding halflings will let you switch seats for a bit. The trip moves at a reasonable pace, but not strenuous. The trip through the forest takes a few days, breaking out to a well worn path wide enough to take all three wagons side by side. You can smell the wiff of salt water in the air, but the ocean is no where in sight. Over the next day of travel, the road turns away from the forest and towards a beach, with an ocean opening up in front of you. The road turns to stone-paved as the beach turns to cliff, with a large city at it's crest, going right to the edge hanging over the ocean. It's magnificent, with a large wall around it's border, guard towers, and you suspect much more. Most prominent is you notice the largest, nicest buildings are closest to the cliff's edge.

"Cliffsedge! And profit! But for you fellows, maybe some answers. Or at least a way to get back on your feet."
OOC:
Is there anything you'd like to do before the caravan heads into the city? It's late afternoon.
Oct 20, 2016 4:05 pm
"Thank you, Sir Tobin," says Dwoinan, extending his hand to the halfling. "Your hospitality was a bright full moon in a landscape of mist and shadow. If I might extend your generosity for a moment longer, what sort of city is Cliffsedge? I'm afraid that the lot of us will stand out like sore thumbs with our lack of familiarity."
Oct 30, 2016 3:10 am
"An old city is the best place to start," Tobin says as he leads the caravan up the hill. "It's a diverse town; you shouldn't have trouble fitting in, even without memories. It's next to impossible for me to teach you culture; I'm not sure what you are or aren't missing. I'd say be careful of who you ask questions, but at the last, I'll introduce you to my cousin. He's a innkeep and can probably help you find some work for coin, and maybe answer questions as they come up."

As you get closer, you notice the gate you're approaching is enormous. Wide enough to take all three of Tobin's wagons in side by side twice over, and tall enough to take them stacked. There seems to be a redish haze at the portcullis, but it's not impeding people's entry and exit. Caravans of various sizes are parked outside the city, between the road and cliffside. As you look down the way, you notice very few caravans park near a portion of the wall that looks significantly more rundown than the rest of the walls.

"When you get inside, I personally recommend finding a healer. There are those who recommend priests, but I've never been one for the New Gods. I have to unpack the caravan, but I will meet you tonight at The Happy Foot in the Merchants' District." As you get down, you notice Tobin's wife walk right up to him, waving ladle in hand, apparently upset. A brief fight later, he catches up with you, a sheepish grin on his face. "She's right, you know, as always. Please, take this. It'll at least cover the registration fee if your mechano is an auto. Weeks of travel together and I'm still not sure; it doesn't talk or can't, and I'm not sure which. And obviously the clothes are yours to keep." He hands you a small bag and waves you off.
OOC:
You're just outside the city, the red haze gate in front of you. There's traffic around you, though not a stream in and out. You do notice guards just inside the haze.
Oct 30, 2016 5:18 am
Tetsuwan bows gratefully to the caravan master and his wife before turning to look up to marvel at the city gates, hoping to remember something. Anything. He looks to his companions, wondering what they intend to do.
Oct 30, 2016 5:36 am
Edward thanks the halfling and his wife before checking to see what's in the bag that they were given. "May be a good idea to check out the Inn and see if we can get some work before we do anything else. Won't make it far without some coin in our pockets."
Last edited October 30, 2016 5:36 am
Oct 31, 2016 6:51 am
"I agree. We need to outfit ourselves and who knows, maybe we can pick up some gossip that will help us"
Nov 2, 2016 4:29 am
OOC:
Do we still have the tattered cloaks we awoke in?
Nov 2, 2016 1:31 pm
OOC:
Tobin provided you with a variety of fitting or not clothes that aren't in tatters, but sure, if you want to keep your original clothes, you can. And they were more worn down than tattered.
Nov 2, 2016 3:20 pm
Jorem bows a polite bow to the halfling and his wife as the others do and dons the hood of a plain black robe that Tobin was able to rustle up. Not sure what the population at large would make of his appearance he decides it would be best to obscure his face as best as possible. He hangs the small stone he has been carrying into a pouch inside the cloak.

Let's just try not to draw too much attention to ourselves, it seems we are out of our time here, from what I have gathered from how the caravan guards spoke of us, Jorem adds to the conversation.
Nov 2, 2016 3:38 pm
Dwoinan nods. "All right. Let us thank the caravan master again and bid him well. At the very least, we can part company as good acquaintances in this strange place."
Nov 7, 2016 9:07 pm
OOC:
Looks like ratcatcher left us, unfortunately. Just let me know what you guys want to do, and I'll do it. I know it's slow now, but I promise you I'll speed it up once we get our feet under us.
Nov 7, 2016 10:46 pm
OOC:
I'm fine with moving on.
Nov 7, 2016 10:52 pm
OOC:
Same here!
Nov 8, 2016 8:44 pm
OOC:
Happy here
Nov 8, 2016 9:15 pm
OOC:
Then just decide where you wanna go :p You haven't even entered town yet!
Nov 8, 2016 9:19 pm
"Inn first?" Edward asks, pretty sure that's where they'll start. If they agree, he will lead the way up to the gate to gain entrance.
Nov 8, 2016 11:17 pm
Dwoinan hobbles along. "As good a place as any," he says.
Nov 10, 2016 12:05 pm
"Sounds good but first round is on you" says Arannis with a wry smile
Nov 20, 2016 11:26 pm
As you pass through the faint red haze at the gate, you feel a slight tingle. Looking around, no one else seems bothered, with all sorts passing in and out of the city, some traveling with caravans, others without. You see people of all races about, and the city is clearly bustling. One thing you all find strange is a number of mechanical creations about. From the gate, you can see a forge ahead. Any forges you've seen till then have had bellows powered by apprentices or slaves. Instead, you see some sort of wheel attached to the side of the bellows, attached to a box. As the wheel spins, the bellow moves up and down, feeding the furnace. Other shops have metal smoke stacks feeding out smokes of different, dark colors, and you see more than a few metallic beings walking about, most doing manual labor.

As you step the the gate, a guard comes up to you and stops you, as a man in nice robes walks out of a building attached to the wall. "Welcome to Cliffsedge," he says in a bored voice, looking down at a scroll. "As new visitors with a mechano, I must as you to register it if it is an auto. Registration costs 5 gold." He looks up, clearly uncaring, and looks Jorem up and down, but doesn't say anything.
Nov 21, 2016 12:17 am
Dwoinan pats his sides. "Erf, I don't think I have anything, son," he says, embarrassed. "Might I be able to work off that payment somehow? Truthfully we came here to look for work, so it might be a good step forward, eh?"
Nov 21, 2016 2:51 am
Tetsuwan turns to the robed man. "Mekano? Do you mean me, sir?" he asks politely.
Last edited November 21, 2016 3:34 am
Nov 21, 2016 3:07 am
OOC:
The one speaking isn't a guard, he's some man in a robe.
The clerk raises an eyebrow in brief surprise. "A souled, huh? That core," he says, pointing at the orb in your chest. "Is it magic or godsblood driven?"
Nov 21, 2016 3:37 am
Tetsuwan has no idea what the man is talking about. He looks to his companions, suddenly embarrassed to be the cause of this seeming inconvenience.
Nov 23, 2016 10:39 pm
"Umm... magic, I think," Edward says, totally unsure what either means, but unwilling to look foolish by asking.
Nov 30, 2016 4:13 am
Dwoinan fishes out some coinage from the pouch. "I hope this covers it. Might we ask you a few questions?"
Nov 30, 2016 5:25 am
The clerk looks you up and down, a bit confused. Refusing the money, he says, "No, we don't register souled mechano's in Cliffsedge. Sentient's sentient. But sure, I have till the next newcomer comes, so I'll answer what I can about our city."
Nov 30, 2016 5:26 am
"Ah, thank you," nods Dwoinan. "Er.. I suppose first we'd like to... uh, know where there is room and board. Maybe someplace that also has employment?"
Nov 30, 2016 5:36 am
"If you're low on coin, you'll find the cheapest inns down by the church district. For work, that depends on what you do, of course. I'm sure you can put in to be ship hands on a trading vessel, if you have experience. Caravans are always looking for guards, though not too many I've seen recently who'll take on a group as large as yours. Otherwise, it may just be the same odds and ends you'll find in any town."
Nov 30, 2016 11:40 pm
Tetsuwan still doesn't fully understand what's going on but it seems they are being allowed into the city without paying the toll. This is good. He has no coin and no wish to be incurring debts. He bows to the robed man. "Thank you, kind sir. You've been most helpful. He strides through the gate and into Cliffsedge. He turns to see if the others will follow.
Dec 1, 2016 10:20 pm
"Let's head to the cheap inns first, then we can look for work," Edward says, "How much money's in that bag, anyway?"
Dec 1, 2016 10:27 pm
Looking in the bag, you find coins you don't readily recognize, though at this point, that's a normal thing for you. There are 10 gold coins in the bag.
Dec 1, 2016 11:21 pm
Dwoinan holds the bag open for Edward to inspect its contents.
Dec 1, 2016 11:30 pm
"10 gold? Hmm... I don't think that'll get us far, but it's better than nothing," Edward says, trying hard to keep positive.
Dec 1, 2016 11:55 pm
Stepping into the city, you're amazed at the midday activity. All around, you see goods being moved, items being sold. Asking around, you get directions to both the Happy Foot and the Church District, both in relatively the same direction. As you walk along the road, the city is obviously clean and well-kept, complete with guards patrolling, shops edge to edge along both sides. You pass more than one troupe of performers as you make your way inward. As you get closer to the Church District, you find the activity lessen, the gleam and polish of the heard of the Merchant District fading. Where the closely packed buildings showed signs of prosperity, here it more forced. Not run down by any means, there's just something missing as you approach the Happy Foot, complete with a placard of a large halfling foot. There are still people milling about, but they seem to move with purpose here. A road to the east of you opens up into an area filled with a variety of buildings in size and decor. Fewer people move towards the area, but it's clearly the Church District. Beyond the buildings, you can see the part of the city wall that was more decrepit, an area few people appear in. with a lower wall surrounding it.
OOC:
If the description doesn't work, I'll try to draw up what I'm saying.
Dec 2, 2016 8:13 pm
Dwoinan looks up at the sign, then turns to the party. With a silent nod, he enters the Happy Foot.
Dec 2, 2016 8:15 pm
Edward raises an eyebrow at the sign of the Happy Foot, but shrugs and enters behind Dwoinan.
Dec 2, 2016 11:12 pm
Tetsuwan waits until everyone has entered the establishment, and enters last.
Dec 12, 2016 6:09 pm
Dwoinan pauses briefly as he enters the Happy Foot, taking in its occupants. However, his ultimate goal is to find the innkeeper and inquire about rooms and rates.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Jan 14, 2017 1:20 pm
Tetsuwan waits patiently by the door. Only Dwoinan and Edward have entered but Arannis is still outside. Jorem and Dwyn seem to have disappeared.
OOC:
In truth, Scotash also appears to be inactive, but only a month.
Last edited January 14, 2017 2:01 pm
Jan 14, 2017 4:10 pm
OOC:
Yah, completely my fault... the last month has been a bit rough on me; lots of coding, trying to get back into the game. Specially with the party down to 4, not sure if it's worth continuing. I'm struggling to think of how to bring new players into the game :(
Jan 14, 2017 5:33 pm
OOC:
I'm sure there are plenty who'd jump at the chance to play. :-) But it's totally your call. I know you have your plate full.
Last edited January 14, 2017 5:34 pm
Jan 14, 2017 5:55 pm
OOC:
It's still possible to run with 4. If new players are brought in, we could play like they were always with the group, just incapacitated or injured in some way like they had a bad reaction to something in the castle.
Jan 14, 2017 9:17 pm
OOC:
I'm just hesitant to retcon too much, usually players find it strange... And we can continue with 4, I'm sure I can readjust.
Feb 3, 2017 4:09 pm
Edward makes his way to the barkeep, "Water please, for now," he says, disappointed at the lack of funds making something stronger a luxury they can't afford.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.