Chapter 1 - Awakening

load previous
Aug 26, 2016 7:19 pm
As the others run for the door, Arranis darts forward, getting as close to as many skeletons as possible, with his magically imbued staff raised above his head. His eyes look like there is a thunderstorm going on in them.

He slams the butt of on the floor releasing a wave of thunder

"That should slow them down"

He turns and races to catch up with the others
OOC:
casting thunderwave

A wave of thunderous force sweeps out from you. Each creature in a 15 foot cube originating from you must make a Con saving throw. on a failed save a creature takes 2d8 thunder damage and is pushed 10ft away from you. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn't pushed.
In addition, unsecured objects that are completely within the area of effect are automatically pushed 10 ft away from you by the spell's effect and the spell emits a thunderous boom audible out to 300 feet.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell

Can't remember if I add my spell casting mod, if so add 5

Rolls

Thunderwave damage - (2d8)

(81) = 9

Aug 30, 2016 3:05 am
Jorem wastes no time in trying to bolt past the hulking skeleton. Where are these things coming from?, he shouts to the rest of the strangers as he runs past. He eyes his makeshift dagger briefly, but assumes it will have little to no effect on this thing.
OOC:
Disengage action, and then running for it. Don't want no AOO.
Aug 30, 2016 4:16 am
Noticing your attacks on the giant monstrosity are futile, your group breaks off, Arannis and Dwonain casting final spells to hold off the onslaught of incoming regular sized skeletons. With Tetsuwan the last to leave the audience chamber, you dash down a long, tall hallway, having been large enough to fit the giant skeleton, light streaming out it's end. As you pass more side passages, you see more skeletons coming at you, and those brave enough to peek back see little more than bone. As you get closer to the exit, Dwyn's sharp eyes notice trouble. "There's a metal portcullis in front of us!"

Reaching the portcullis, you look around for a way to open it, finding naught, leaving the stronger among you attempting to break it down. Just as you reach what looks like may be a dead end, the giant skeleton's quakes seem to shake it loose enough that a final heave by Tetsuwan knocks it down. You run out into the sunlight, it's warm basking over you, energizing you. Breaking into a run again, with the swarm of undead on your heels, you find yourself on what looks like dead land, little more than dirt and rotten trees, with no sign of life by your feet. But surprisingly enough, ahead of you stands a thick forest, vibrant as any you can remember seeing. There is a sharp divide in the ground, as if a line drawn, where the blighted land meets the living, two different worlds stitched together. Almost directly in front of you, on the living side of the line, are what look like 3 wagons.

You keep running, starting to tire, with the horde growing ever closer, when suddenly arrows whiz by your head, striking the skeletons behind you. You break across the line just as some of the skeletons reach you... and crumble to dust as they attempt to enter the lush grass. Undead after undead turn to powder, including the giant, as if an invisible barrier would not let them leave. You fall to the ground, exhausted.

When you finally look up, you notice the wagons look strange, and you don't see any horses or oxen in sight. You do see four armor clad people approach you, blades in hand. A older looking halfling in nice traveler's clothing breaks through them, gesturing them to lower their blades. "Clearly, they're not skeletons. Though what they'd be doing in there, I have no idea. Ok, blades back up."
Aug 30, 2016 4:36 am
Edward places his hands on his knees and bends over, breathing hard. After a moment, he straightens himself up and looks at their saviors, "Thanks for the rescue, didn't think we were gonna make it there for a second!"
Aug 30, 2016 6:51 am
Dwoinan rises to his knees at the presence of others. He didn't come this far just to be taken down by apparent saviors, so he holds his empty hands up to show no threat.
Aug 30, 2016 7:08 am
Tetsuwan bows slightly to the strangers, and raises his sword in salute but maintains an attitude of battle readiness.
Aug 30, 2016 9:55 pm
Arannis leans casually on his staff and eyes their rescuers.

"Thank you. Can you tell us where we are?"

His earlier anger subsiding now that the skeletons were gone
Aug 30, 2016 10:16 pm
As you stand, blades follow you up. "Where we are? You just ran out of a castle no one enters, in the middle of woods almost no one passes through, and you don't know where you are?" the halfling says with a look bordering between confusion and anger. He looks you each up and down. "If it weren't for the fact that only of you are that all that youthful, I'd have guessed you were a bunch of kids on some stupid dare. But judging from your clothes, teleportation spell gone wrong?"
OOC:
Forgot about Edwards age, fixed.
Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm
Edward laughs, "I don't even know WHO I am, let alone where. Now, are you going to answer the question or not?"
OOC:
Edward is like 16 :P
Last edited August 30, 2016 10:18 pm
Aug 30, 2016 11:21 pm
"Careful, boy," mutters Dwoinan to Edward, hands still raised with his newfound mace on the ground. "Best not to piss off someone that's got the drop of us. Let's talk nice, eh? I think there's room for a civil discussion here."
Aug 31, 2016 12:27 am
Jorem pushes past Edward. Excuse me, sir. I believe it matters not how we got here, but rather where we are, and what you plan to do about our presence here, he says from the hollow cavity where his face should be. Two glowing orbs act as eyes starring down the guards.

His hand still clenches his makeshift dagger, unsure how competent he will be in a fight. He doesn't feel as though physical altercations are much of his strong suite.
Aug 31, 2016 4:48 am
As you grip your weapon, you notice it's turned to rusted dust. In fact even your clothing looks more worn, you think.
Aug 31, 2016 5:41 am
"We mean you no harm, believe me when I saw that we are just as confused as you are. We just want to know where we are and what this place is. Will you help us?"

Arannis is trying to be as non threatening as possible

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Aug 31, 2016 1:36 pm
Jorem, taken back by the sudden rustiness of the dagger, and the suddenly haggard appearance of his cloak almost forgets that the soldiers are there with weapons drawn. He looks over the stone that he is still holding in his other hand, the one that broke the dais.
OOC:
Does the stone look any different than it had?
Aug 31, 2016 2:42 pm
OOC:
The stone looks the same, like dull obsidian.
The halfling looks Arannis up and down, finally shrugging. "This, ladies and gentlemen, is the Dead Forest. A strange name, given it's quite alive, but I suspected it's more to do with this castle than the forest itself. The castle has no name, or if it does, no one I know know it." He walks up to Tetsuwan, looking him over carefully, inspecting the exposed mechanations. "I assume you found this mechano in there? Looks ancient. An auto right? Can't be souled?"

None of you recognize the terms he's using.
OOC:
By which I mean, mechano, "an auto", "souled". You might figure out what he means in context, but he's using the words as common terms.
Aug 31, 2016 4:01 pm
Dwoinan clears his throat and shifts his weight on his knees. He seems to be in physical pain having to remain there during all this. "Sorry, sir," he says with earnest honesty, "I have no memory of how I came to be here, and quite frankly, who I am. I believe it is the same for my companions. These places and words you speak of are not familiar to me. I think we would be happy to answer your questions as best we can, but please understand that our memory lapses limit what our answers will be."
Sep 2, 2016 5:37 pm
Jorem seems to have completely tuned the guards out at this point and turns back the direction they came.
OOC:
What do I see when I look back towards the castle?
Sep 5, 2016 1:50 am
Turning, Jorem looks back to face the way you've come. Behind you, on a wide ring of dead land, stands a menacing looking, massive castle. Made of dark stones and sharp edges, rising towers and many exits. It's clearly aged, the outer walls bearing the marks of siege, the moat dried up and in some places filled in. It's look says dread, but it's clearly lifeless, and not in the undead sense. No one has been here for a long time, but whomever did could not have meant well. There is a clear contrast between the castle and the land around it, and the forest next to you, between life and death.

The halfling stands, thinking, when you hear a voice call from one of the wagons. "Tobin! You get those swords down and bring those folk over! Clearly they need our help!" You can make out the light dings of pots and pans being moved about. The halfling looks up and shrugs again. "She's right; she always is. This isn't the place for answers; we were getting ready to move on. If you join us, you work for your time. I'd charge, but you obviously have nothing on you." He motions the guards to lower their swords, and the female guard, clearly in charge, gives you a look somewhere between distrust and disgust before lowering her sword, but doesn't put it away. She waits for you to move forward, taking up the rear.
Sep 5, 2016 5:36 am
"Thank you, your help is appreciated"

Arannis tosses his rotting staff aside and walks towards Dwoinan and offers him his hand to help him up. With a wry smile he adds

"Come young friend, let see if we can ease your pain a bit
Last edited September 5, 2016 5:37 am
Sep 5, 2016 9:03 am
Dwoinan accepts the hand, gratefully. He stands with a grunt, audible popping sounds coming from his knees. Leaving the rusting mace on the ground where it lies, Dwoinan moves forward where guided.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.