OOC

load previous
Apr 29, 2022 11:21 pm
Got sidetracked. New thread is up!
Apr 30, 2022 12:28 am
So... I have several reaction based abilities that I'd like to use frequently. I've often had difficulty working those in to a play by post game. Any thoughts anyone?
Apr 30, 2022 12:32 am
Set conditions. If X happens, trigger Y. Just mention them as possible situations arise so I remember to activate them.
Apr 30, 2022 3:09 am
I realized I never actually prepared spells, so I went ahead and picked a bunch. My sheet has them listed now.
Apr 30, 2022 8:46 am
JoshuaMabry says:
So... I have several reaction based abilities that I'd like to use frequently. I've often had difficulty working those in to a play by post game. Any thoughts anyone?
annex says:
Set conditions. If X happens, trigger Y. Just mention them as possible situations arise so I remember to activate them.
And if you share your list with us maybe we can even help trigger your stuff.
Apr 30, 2022 9:06 am
Eric's reaction abilities.

Fighting Style: Interception - When a creature you can see hits a target, other than you, within 5 ft. of you with an attack, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage the target takes by 1d10+6 (to a minimum of 0 damage). You must be wielding a shield or a simple or martial weapon to use this reaction.

Fighting Style: Protection - While wielding a shield and a creature you can see attacks a target other than you within 5 ft., you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll.

Sentinel Attack - When a creature within 5 ft. of you makes an attack against a target other than you, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.

Shield Master Evasion - If an effect allows half damage on success, you can use your reaction to take no damage.
Apr 30, 2022 9:47 am
Very cool! I'll keep those in mind. Bobby has Sentinel as well.

As noted here, if you attack a target after Bobby crits that target, you have advantage on your attacks. So Eric should've been attacking at advantage!
Apr 30, 2022 9:53 am
OOC:
Whoops! Well, I think I'll let that pass this time. That's a lot of rerolling, and most of my rolls were good enough for me.
Apr 30, 2022 1:54 pm
Man, I bet these guys are loaded up on all sorts of defenses! I've rolled 91 total damage for Bobby's three attacks (still waiting on @annex's ruling if the crit also multiplies the radiant damage) but even if all three attacks hit I wouldn't be surprised at all if a lot of that doesn't actually cause any hurt.
Last edited April 30, 2022 2:35 pm
Apr 30, 2022 3:20 pm
Or it could be an easy first encounter to get the story rolling.
Apr 30, 2022 3:26 pm
True. Not knowing is what makes it fun. 😆
Apr 30, 2022 4:33 pm
If it's rolled damage, it gets rolled again with a crit so yes, the radiant also gets another roll. Brutal Critical activates on a crit so no extra dice for that. That would be far too recursive. :P
I'll update once you roll them dice.
If there's something anyone's unsure of that's dice-related, roll them and I can always disregard later if necessary.
JoshuaMabry says:
Or it could be an easy first encounter to get the story rolling.
No liches in disguise. Yet. :) I'm looking to gauge your strengths (and weaknesses) and let you all get a feel for your characters' abilities in actual play.
Apr 30, 2022 4:59 pm
Just making sure I am understand, you are saying:
Yes, for each crit, roll another d6 of radiant damage.
No, Brutal Critical only affects the bludgeoning damage. It doesn't let you roll a 3rd d6 of damage.

Did I get that right?

Now a hypothetical. What if I'd spent 1 charge of Bloodthirsty Strikes and then scored a crit? What happens to the 4d6 force damage?
Apr 30, 2022 5:12 pm
Brutal Critical: Beginning at 9th level, you can roll one additional weapon damage die when determining the extra damage for a critical hit with a melee attack. This increases to two additional dice at 13th level and three additional dice at 17th level.
I see it as BC gives you extra 3d8 weapon/bludgeoning damage per hit at 20th level; it doesn't affect anything else.
And you roll 2d6 radiant per strike so that will equal an extra 2d6 crit radiant.
Sound reasonable?
Apr 30, 2022 5:15 pm
Re: Bloodthirsty Strikes... On a crit, I see you rolling that 4d6 force damage again and thus also increasing the healing you receive by that amount.
Apr 30, 2022 5:20 pm
Sorry, I'm not trying to bargain for moar damage. I'm just not that good at interpreting rules so I tend to ask tons of clarifying questions. XD

As you can see, I completely missed where Brutal Critical specifies weapon damage right there. And also missed how it scales up.

Yeah, 1 extra radiant die per crit sounds more than reasonable! So how about my hypothetical regarding force damage via Bloodthirsty Strikes?
annex says:
Re: Bloodthirsty Strikes... On a crit, I see you rolling that 4d6 force damage again and thus also increasing the healing you receive by that amount.
WHOA!
Last edited April 30, 2022 5:21 pm
Apr 30, 2022 5:47 pm
It's fine. Better to ask and be sure (or as sure as the DM can be). ;)
And that's an extra 2d6 radiant per crit since you normally roll 2d6 radiant normally per hit. Big numbers. Whoa, indeed.
Apr 30, 2022 6:03 pm
I've been forgetting to use Savage Attacker!

"Once per turn when you roll damage for a melee weapon attack, you can reroll the weapon’s damage dice and use either total."
Last edited April 30, 2022 6:03 pm
Apr 30, 2022 6:41 pm
You'd better remember!
Apr 30, 2022 8:07 pm
There's a lot of moving pieces at 20th level.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.