OOC

load previous
Mar 21, 2022 7:06 pm
JoshuaMabry says:
This is what potions of healing are for.
Very true! Although...
https://i.imgur.com/vDM88am.jpg
Mar 21, 2022 7:48 pm
JoshuaMabry says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
https://i.imgur.com/IHfeoZw.jpg

@JoshuaMabry I see what you did there. That's the voice actor's last name, right?
It is.
FYI: Don Most is also Ralph from Happy Days
Mar 21, 2022 8:12 pm
The handholding only happens at the end of Requiem (a fan made and influenced episode)

I believe at the beginning of the show Sheila and Hank are only good friends. Due her fear she may have had co-dependency issues, but if she ever considered Hank outside the friends zone, there are two very big plot points that convince me otherwise. When Hank turns 'Traitor' and when Sheila and Hank don't agree in the fan episode and she nearly dies from Hank's arrow. I also think by the end of the series Sheila's confidence and fear of being alone has been worked though by their experiences, as was the design of DM for them all.

If Hank and Sheila were an 'item' why was there no mention of this from either of them when she is asked to be the Queen of Zinn? her response was simply, "I can't. I have to find a way back home."

Throughout the series there are episodes that solo most of the group's finding their 'heart', love, or soulmate.

Bobby finds Terri. She gives him a heart, as a token of their bond.
Presto falls for and rescues Varla. Then stays behind with her.
Diana meets Kosar and they spend a lot of cuddle time before he sacrifices himself for her and the town.
Eric befriends Lorn and says he will miss his new 'friend'
Sheila, feeling like she is unwanted and alone by the others in a low moment, rescues Karena with a ring inscribed with a heart, then is willing to sacrifice herself to save Karena from her brother, Venger. The act breaks the spell of evil over Karena.
Last edited March 27, 2022 2:54 am
Mar 21, 2022 8:24 pm
I had it in my head that Eric and Sheila were dating, and were at the fair on a date in the first place (with friends/brother along). I had assumed they were very early in their relationship (hence the lack of lovey-dovey-ness in the show), but after rewatching the first episode I just misunderstood it. I kind of wish that they were together, it would've given the show an interesting dynamic, but I also understand parents' groups seem to have had more input in the show than the writers did.

80s TV was a weird time.
Mar 21, 2022 9:04 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Bobby grew up to become a chef. It's a smidgen of out-of-combat healing; I took the feat for flavor more than anything else. And of course as an IRL chef it'll be pretty easy for me to RP.
Quote:
Chef
Time spent mastering the culinary arts has paid off , granting you the following benefits:

Increase your Constitution or Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.

You gain proficiency with cook’s utensils if you don’t already have it.

As part of a short rest, you can cook special food, provided you have ingredients and cook’s utensils on hand. You can prepare enough of this food for a number of creatures equal to 4 + your proficiency bonus. At the end of the short rest, any creature who eats the food and spends one or more Hit Dice to regain hit points regains an extra 1d8 hit points.

With one hour of work or when you finish a long rest, you can cook a number of treats equal to your proficiency bonus. These special treats last 8 hours after being made. A creature can use a bonus action to eat one of those treats to gain temporary hit points equal to your proficiency bonus.
Mar 21, 2022 9:36 pm
As a kid watching the show, I apparently thought there was a "these two kinda want to get together" vibe between Hank and Shiela, but that could just have been social expectations at work in my head.

Conveniently, the lack of anything definitive leaves room for you folk to do whatever you want with those characters.
Mar 21, 2022 9:51 pm
I want to maintain the friendship between Sheila and Hank throughout the years. If they dated at all, it was brief, and Sheila felt it was awkward; like going out with her brother and nothing went too far into the intimate relationship department.
Mar 21, 2022 9:52 pm
Wow, @RageRed!

I've never been one to analyze stuff too much.

I noticed nothing when I was a kid but then again I was notoriously dense about such things all the way up to my early 30s. 😅

I've rewatched a grand total of 4 episodes so I have no basis of sexual tension other than that one moment which, like you said, is fan-made.

No matter how you decide to play Sheila I'm sure she'll be great! I'm looking forward to it!
Mar 21, 2022 9:57 pm
It's in the show bible that Eric was jealous of Hank taking the role of leader, even though he certainly wouldn't make a good one himself. I'm going to lean in to that some.
Mar 21, 2022 10:08 pm
I've submitted a sheet for Sheila so our Dungeonmaster can see it as I add details. The sheet is no where near finished at this point.
Mar 21, 2022 10:20 pm
I stumbled across a blog in which the author reviews every episode of the show - solidly tongue-in-cheek. The posts are quite long, providing pretty much every detail of the episode. I've only read a couple so far, but those were quite entertaining. One thing he repeatedly points out is that in practice, Hank is a terrible leader - or maybe more accurately he doesn't lead at all.
Mar 21, 2022 11:23 pm
From the blog - Citadel of Shadow (episode 26)
OOC:
Quote~

Boy, if you thought there were hints Eric’s relationship with Lorne last episode was romantic, the evidence is even heavier here. I mean, the way Sheila holds the girl’s hand isn’t the way you grab someone’s hand when you’re pulling them; that’s the way you hold a lover’s hand (in certain situations).
The points I was trying to make myself in the post above of my observations.
Last edited March 21, 2022 11:24 pm
Mar 22, 2022 8:06 am
Opening excerpt of Sheila's background notes:

The novelist, Thomas Wolfe, once wrote, "You can't go home again." While Dungeonmaster, was on occasion to say, "Once you have been touched by magic, you're never quite the same." My own experiences in the Realms and subsequent return home that first time proved to me they were both right in their assessment. Over a year in the Realms had been like a day to the world I originated from.

Early on in my shared journey, magic had indeed touched me. I had learned to speak and understand the language of a pixie in but the blink of an eye and many times afterwards had been exposed to magic in one way or another. I had seen it, felt it, lived it.

I tried immediately after my return to resume my life on Earth, daughter of Daphne Blake and her long time companion, Fred Jones. I tried to find happiness in the activities that had only been interrupted for the briefest of moments for all but myself and the five others who had been swept away on that fateful Dungeons & Dragons ride at the amusement park. I tried, but something was now missing within me. Had it always been a longing within me now awakened? I was different...changed. I felt more confident.

That diminutive guide of ours had also frequently spoken of "Follow your Heart." I knew what mine was speaking, but would my family and friends understand? Would they accept me if they learned? Would Bobby?
Last edited March 22, 2022 9:47 am
Mar 22, 2022 9:39 am
Awesome stuff!
Mar 22, 2022 12:55 pm
Just logged back in, didn't realise we've been talking so much about Hank and Sheila! I'm hoping to play Hank as Hank, without needing to impose any further sub-text or additional layers of interpretation. He's a reluctant leader, but stepped up because the others wanted him to do so; he is level-headed and listens to various perspectives and doesn't try to impose his views on others; he's ready to be the first one to do something, and always looks out for others and will do anything to save his friends. Only twice does he fail, and that's his greatest fear.

He is likely to be the one who has checked in on the others over the years by trying to keep in touch with them or at least think about their well-being from time to time. If our plot has Presto 'summoning' the rest back to the world, then it is likely that Hank is the one who rallies everyone to return.
Mar 22, 2022 3:38 pm
When I first started thinking about older Diana, I thought of how coming back to the real world, combined with growing older, would have some negative effects on her. But as I wrote up her story, I ended up pushing her through those struggles, coming out the other end really embracing the Zen of being a warrior monk. So I'll be playing her pretty chill. In a lot of ways a bit like she was in the series - optimistic and supportive, but not as snarky.
Mar 25, 2022 8:24 pm
In bed with a nasty tropical virus. Mosquitoes are NOT our friends! But at least it wasn't covid, and I'm feeling better.
I'll most likely be sleeping a lot over the next few days thanks to The Good Drugs so coherent posting may be out.
Mar 25, 2022 8:25 pm
Glad to hear you're on the mend. Take your time.
Mar 25, 2022 8:34 pm
So Eric went on to have a successful career in finance, backed both by his family's wealth and the funds he brought over with him from the Realms. He's.... mellowed... some over the years, but is still quick to question other's ideas and to point out obvious plot holes. He's probably the one that takes the most convincing every time Hank and Presto want to round the old gang up. This is partly because of his wife and two kids, who also contributed to him overcoming some of his personal flaws. He still always has his friends back though, weather he says he wants to or not.
Mar 26, 2022 1:57 pm
Drove up Thursday to my friend's hometown in the mountains for his memorial service. Got back last night but I'm just still so emotionally drained.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.