[Game Thread] Chapter 1 - Market Day (CLOSED)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 7, 2022 1:50 am
It's an unusually sunny day in Big Cliff. Not dreary, foggy, misty, or storming as is more common. Nope. Bright sunshine and a few white, puffy clouds. It's a good day for being a cat.

It's also a good day for the Farmer's Market, which is some kind of event the humans have every month or so to buy and sell food. Of course, they buy and sell food on other days too, so it's not entirely clear why Market Day is so special. But Jim and Jane especially seem to love Market Day. They make a whole big deal out of it. The get up early ("to get the good stuff" they say) and spend hours there. Then they come back and make a big meal, which they usually serve to friends. They don't even open the cafe; the day after Market Day is when the customers get to eat some food that came from the market.

Most of the stuff that comes from the Farmer's Market is fruits a veggies - not especially great for cats (although some of the green leafy stuff isn't the worst) - but every now and then they bring home something tasty. Like today, they brought a whole chicken. It smells so good now that it's cooked. They also brought home some weird stuff today, though. A bottle of red wine that has a sinister looking octopus on the label (its eyes seem to follow you). A bunch of strange vegetables that look particularly unnatural.
https://i.imgur.com/JTJH36t.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/UYE0WEH.jpg

This Market Day, Apple Tart and her owner are the guests for the Market Day meal. It is currently mid-afternoon, and the humans are eating their food outside, enjoying the rare sunny day. The rest of the cooked food is in the kitchen. Sadly, the remaining cooked chicken is in the oven - no stealing bites, though you have all been promised some chicken once the humans are done eating.
OOC:
And that's the setup. All the indoor cats are indoors. The outdoor cats are out. The cafe is closed. Jim, Jane, and Apple Tart's owner are out back eating. Everyone let us know what your cat is doing and where it is. I imagine the cafe to be a two-story house. First floor is the cafe and the kitchen. The human residence is upstairs. Feel free to add details to the cafe/house as you see fit.
Jun 7, 2022 3:56 am
Apple Tart, true to herself, spent the entire time while humans were setting up their meal by weaving circles around them, her fluffy tail puffed out like a duster in absolute excitement. Now that the cafe proprietors and her owner are both outside and she already received plenty of affection in head pats and chin scratches, she had wandered off towards her favorite pile of toys oin the cafe's first floor - one delightfully full of things squeaky and rattling. Just now, she is throwing a ball with a bell inside it around the floor, chasing it with all the enthusiasm of a kitten which she technically still is.

"Hiya!" Apple lets out a triumphant cry as she pounces on the ball, pinning it with her paws before letting it go again. "Rasputin, did you see that?! Do you think I'm getting better? I bet I'd be a great monster fighter!" She crouches low to the floor, eyes widening while she watches the ball rolling away from her, her body vibrating in potential energy gathered for a new jump. "I wish the humans left one of those weird purple plants here so I could play with it. It smelled weird! And it has tentacles! What is it called?" Her words are directed at whoever is listening, and she is momentarily distracted from the ball as she glances around in hopes for an answer.
Last edited June 7, 2022 3:59 am
Jun 7, 2022 4:23 pm
After listening to Apple Tart's incessant chatter for a little, Middie resumes looking out the window at a bird sitting on a tree outside. Flicking his tail a little, he thinks back to the chicken he had hoped would be left on the counter. It seems they did notice that last time he had gotten up and eaten some of it. Shame. It seems they will never acknowledge that I need a special diet befitting of my stature. One of these days, I will demand what is owed, but for now, we wait.

He rolls to his other side on top of the cat tree and takes one last longing look at the chicken in the oven, then settles in to try to take a nap in the warm sun.
Jun 7, 2022 5:57 pm
Rasputin regards Apple Tart with half-opened eyes, watching the younger kitten at play. "You're definitely improving," the older cat acknowledged. "Mmm. Some sort of radish, I suppose," he said in answer to her question. He glanced around the cafe, looking for the perfect sunbeam in which to lie. Finding his target, he stretches and moves to his chosen site, lying down and rolling onto his back.
Jun 8, 2022 2:14 am
Mr.Bigfoot notice the Market day today. Last time Jim and Jane go out for Market day he got to eat a delicious meatball with red tomato sauce on it. still wonder how they made meat to ball shape like that. "Hmm this time is chicken? and smell this good?" Then he got a great idea

"Hey I remember what Rasputin said lastime something he learn from human. what is it again? hm.... ah right It's about give and take" he pretent to talk in educated manner like raputin. So he jump to catch bird at big tree near cafe and plan to give to Jame who eat in front of cafe for exchange for the chicken. what a great idea
Last edited June 8, 2022 2:16 am
Jun 8, 2022 12:15 pm
"A radish? But radishes only have one tentacle! At least I think they do? My human doesn't like buying all these green things, so I only ever seen radishes a few times..." Apple looks thoughtful for a second, but then goes back to chasing the ball. A sweep of her paw sends it flying towards the cat tree and she gleefully runs after, only veering off the straightforward course to avoid colliding with sunbathing Rasputin.

"I wish they let us come outside!" She proclaims as she jumps over the older cat's tail and catches up with the ball. "Then I could've examined these radishes closer. And maybe I could find Mr. Bigfoot! My human never lets me play with street cats."
Jun 9, 2022 2:58 am
While Mr. Bigfoot is looking around for a bird to catch, he notices something moving on the roof of the cafe. It's not a bird - no wings. Not a squirrel - too big. Mr. Bigfoot only gets a glimpse of the large furry creature before it slips through a hole on the side of the house under the peak of the roof. INTO THE HOUSE. Whatever it was just went into the attic over the cafe.

Meanwhile, inside, Apple Tart, Rasputin, and Middie all hear a loud thump from upstairs. A quick look around confirms that the three of them - the only cats currently in the house - are all present. Jim and Jane and Apple Tart's owner are all still outside. So what is moving around upstairs?
Jun 9, 2022 7:05 am
"Wow I never knew we can go in the house that way. NO!! I mean who is that guy? No outside cat can mess with my territory let alone steal MY CHICKEN!!!".

Mr. Bigfoot goes to the trash alley behind the cafe and use the AC machines as a jumping point to the hole that something he thought is a cat jump in previously. when he landed inside he made make himself as high as possible to look intimidate and yell out

"No one goes pass through my land without report to me first!!!"
Last edited June 9, 2022 7:08 am
Jun 9, 2022 2:27 pm
Rasputin opens one eye at the noise in the attic. A quick look outside confirms that it is not one of the humans. What was it then? With a grumble, he rises and cautiously moves to the stair.
Jun 9, 2022 2:37 pm
Middle, waking up from his nap briefly, opens one eye to watch Rasputin. With a quizzical grumble in reply, he asks "What is it? Did they put some food out upstairs?"
Jun 9, 2022 2:58 pm
OOC:
Let's make our first dice rolls!

Mr. Bigfoot: Please make a Grace roll to see how well you scale the house to get to the hole.

Rasputin: Please make a Smarts roll as you try to make sense of what you hear from the bottom of the stairs.
Jun 9, 2022 3:24 pm
OOC:
Grace roll! progress checked TT
Last edited June 9, 2022 3:30 pm

Rolls

Grace - (2d6+1)

(12) + 1 = 4

Jun 9, 2022 3:54 pm
Meanwhile Apple Tart almost collides with the cat tree, distracted from her chase by the sudden noise. "What was that? Is that a burglar?! Or a monster? Rasputin, wait for me!" She scrambles to follow after the Siamese cat, much louder than him, but full of enthusiasm for a potential adventure. Even if it's just a fallen vase, she can always pretend that it was moved by some supernatural presence...
Last edited June 9, 2022 3:54 pm
Jun 9, 2022 5:13 pm
Rasputin listens at the bottom of the stairs, trying to identify the sound.

Rolls

Smarts - (2d6+2)

(65) + 2 = 13

Jun 11, 2022 2:10 am
Mr. Bigfoot goes bounding up onto the AC unit, then makes a leap to the gutter. At least, that was the plan. He's done it before. But this time something on the gutter gives way. It doesn't come completely off the house, but it shifts enough that Mr. Bigfoot looses his balance and tumbles back down to the ground.
OOC:
Mr. Bigfoot suffers one Scratch.
"What the..." a human voice calls out as Mr. Bigfoot hits the ground. It's Jim, and he stands up to see what the sound was. "Oh no. You poor guy." He walks towards Mr. Bigfoot, then squats down and reaches out a hand to offer a pet - but he doesn't reach all the way, waiting for Mr. Bigfoot to either close the distance or run off.
OOC:
What does Mr. Bigfoot do?
Meanwhile, inside: Rasputin rotates his ears, listening for any new sounds. Something is up there. An animal. He hears claws clicking on the floor as it walks. Not a cat though. Or a dog. It has an unusual smell - the smell of outside, of damp hair, and a hint of human garbage. It's not a pleasant smell at all. Rasputin homes in on the creature's sounds and smell, until he is looking at the door to Jim and Jane's upstairs study. The door is slightly ajar, and Rasputin sees another pair of eyes looking back at him. Eyes surrounded by black fur - like a mask.

Rasputin is looking at a raccoon, and the raccoon is looking back.
OOC:
What do the indoor cats do?
Jun 11, 2022 6:52 am
Ouch! it's hurt Mr. Bigfoot thought and lick himself, then he saw Jim coming near try to comfort him.

Hey, I know this look. It is a "Let me pet you and I will give you chicken" look. Okay I will this off for once

Mr. Bigfoot stop licking then look at Jim and pretend to walk slow and injured to put his ear rub Jim hand
Jun 11, 2022 1:13 pm
Following behind Rasputin at a respectful distance after dropping to the floor with a thud, Middie starts to feel like something isn't right. He can barely see the eyes behind the door, but knows enough to know it doesn't belong. His tail starts to poof up like a feather duster and a low yowly growl starts to emanate from his mouth. He tries to make himself look as big and intimidating as his large frame can muster.
Jun 11, 2022 2:47 pm
Rasputin immediately arches his back and hisses, trying to make himself look big and intimidating.
Jun 11, 2022 5:47 pm
Apple Tart is intrigued the moment she catches a glimpse of the raccoon's eyes, and stands up on her hind legs to see better - it doesn't help that much, to be honest, and she is about to try and stick her head behind the door when both Rasputin and Midnight start hissing and growling.

This gives her pause, the kitten not sure what to do. She never met a raccoon before and only seen their renditions in paintings and posters, but surely they can't be all bad?.. Still her tail automatically puffs out, imitating the older cats, and a part of her wants to back away.

But Apple won't be Apple if her first reaction to a stranger was a cautious one. "Hello!" She calls out over Raputin's back and tries to wave at the raccoon. "Who are you? Are you here for the food? The cafe is closed for the human holiday, but if you want to play..!"
Jun 13, 2022 3:58 am
Inside the house, the racoon remains locked in a staring contest with Rasputin for about a second, and then it takes off. It bolts out of the room it was in, slides a bit on the hardwood floor as it tries to make a quick turn, and then continues running down the hallway away from the stairs. That's the direction of Jim and Jane's bedroom. Also, he doesn't even say a single word in response to Apple Tart.

Outside the house, Jim scratches Mr. Bigfoot behind the ears. "I think he hurt himself," he calls over his shoulder to Jane and Apple Tart's owner. "What were you trying to do, big guy?" he asks, as if he would be able to understand anything Mr. Bigfoot might say back (for all their smarts, humans just can't seem to get the hang of cat-speak).

"Hurt himself?" Jane asks as she comes up behind Jim. "Well that won't do. Why don't you come inside and have a treat?" she says. Then she walks over to the back door and opens it, motioning for Mr. Bigfoot to go through.

"You know you'll have to give everyone a treat if you do that, right?" Jim jokes.

"Only if they're good," Jane replies.
OOC:
Inside cats hear the back door open, and also hear Jane's voice say something about "treats". But there is still a wild racoon upstairs.

Mr. Bigfoot has to decide whether to take the invitation into the house or not. The smell of chicken coming through the open door is even stronger that what you were smelling outside. It's a tempting offer.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.