General Chat

Jun 24, 2022 2:52 pm
A place for general chatting, about the game or other topics.
Jul 3, 2022 1:44 pm
Jumping around was getting too irritating, so I have updated the bookmarks in my PDF to include direct access to each Career.

Let me know what else you think would be useful.
Jul 7, 2022 8:13 am
I want to make an overview of my character. Where should I put that?
Something like this:
TermAgeCareerSurvived?Event
130-34PilotYesI lost my arm in battle against aliens
Jul 7, 2022 8:16 am
TheGenerator says:
I want to make an overview of my character. Where should I put that?
In the sheet somewhere, maybe.

I was just looking for such a summary to see how many Benefits Lio gets. Would be useful to know Ranks and such for when they come up in the story.
Jul 7, 2022 8:44 am
vagueGM says:
In the sheet somewhere, maybe.
You mean my character sheet?
I'd like to put them all together, so we can come up with character links at a glance. Maybe a wiki thread like we have in FFA? Or is there an existing thread that fits?
Jul 7, 2022 8:57 am
They need to go on the Character Sheet eventually.

When we get to linking the characters we will need a thread for that, adding them all to that thread will be required.

Go ahead and add yours to the How do we know each other? thread and establish a format for us.
Aug 3, 2022 2:46 pm
Do we want to think about recruiting another player to this game? Three is a good number, but four would mean we still have three when we end up in the doldrums when one player is absent.
Aug 3, 2022 7:25 pm
I've seen some mentions of ppl interested in Traveller (either to play or as a GM). So I think we'd be able to find another player if we wanted to. None that I have experience playing with, though. So it's a bit of a gamble.

Both options are fine by me. I'd say it's the GM's choice, what do you feel most comfortable with?
Aug 3, 2022 7:45 pm
I have no problem with an extra player. But I'd hate for you to go through all the character creation with someone who's bailing out within the first week.
Aug 4, 2022 6:23 am
TheGenerator says:
... seen some mentions of ppl interested in Traveller ... we'd be able to find another player if we wanted to ...
Agreed. I don't foresee any difficulty finding more players if we decide to look.
Airshark says:
... I'd hate for you to go through all the character creation with someone who's bailing out within the first week.
I honestly don't mind going through the process with someone, even if they were not going to play.
However, forming the Connections and then playing with the results is a large part of the Character Creation appeal. Not having to live with the outcomes makes it less valuable than theorycrafting D&D or Masks characters, though, so --outside of making test characters before a real character-- I don't see that happening, and there are experienced Traveller GMs that could probably do a better job than my scrabbling around the book for each question.

If they decided afterwards that they did not like the game (or that the system would be better suited to a non-PbP medium) and dropped out, I would hold that against them.
TheGenerator says:
... it's a bit of a gamble ...
A gamble for them too. I am loath to recruit new players into a game that we are not serious about.
We had many option when we started this and Traveller did not win out by such large numbers.

Are we committed enough to this to justify recruiting?
From my perspective: I keep trying to fall back to other systems, but want to try make this work for a few reasons.

I do want to play something other than PbtA (but the prevalence of PbP and PbtA's suitability to PbP makes that a dominant system in my life these days).

I really like (the theory of) some parts of Traveller.
Using the Characteristics (Stats) as Hit Points is how I prefer to design my own systems, and, while I don't much like large Characteristics from which we derive the actual Dice Modifiers, this is a really good way to do Stats as HP. It allows for low modifiers, while giving enough HP, and provides a nice predictable death spiral with options to mitigate it and escape.
The FTL Jump system with light-speed-information-limits makes for a system where we can outrun our infamy... for a while. This gets around a few common problems with 'space travel' games and consequences.
Should we recruit one or two more players?
Aug 4, 2022 7:16 am
I definitely want to get this game going :)
What I can't promise is that it's a system that will fit me long term. But I wouldn't be able to say that about multiple systems we mentioned.

It looks like you have some parts of the traveller system that you'd really like to explore, vague. So let's make sure those will be in the game we're making.

To re(cruit) or not to re(cruit)... That is the question.
As I said before, I think that's up to you. I'll try to make it work in either case.
Aug 4, 2022 7:52 am
TheGenerator says:
... can't promise is that it's a system that will fit me long term ...
Of course not. We can always change it later if we want. Knowing that we want to spend any amount of time in the system is enough to justify recruiting on those terms.
TheGenerator says:
... looks like you have some parts of the traveller system that you'd really like to explore ...
They are core aspects, so they will come up, so worries there.
Aug 6, 2022 5:41 pm
I guess with TrailHead dropping out, we do need to find more player(s)?
Aug 6, 2022 5:48 pm
I guess so.

With TheGenerator stating commitment and Airshark suggesting the same I am happy that we can reasonably assure newcomers that the game is sustainable.

I will put together a recruitment pitch towards the end of the weekend.
Aug 7, 2022 8:00 pm
Will look at getting the recruitment started tomorrow, the server move got in the way. :)
Aug 7, 2022 8:10 pm
No worries. I'll be on holiday next week. I'll still be able to check in on my phone, but possibly with more delay than usual.
Sep 2, 2022 11:05 am
FYI

I am still interested in this game. I actually picked up High Guard 2022 Update and started reading it... but much of it so far was repeats of what was in the Core Rulebook so I lost motivation (I should have skipped to the new parts, but was comparing).

I want to have enough information to set up a game properly for taking in new players.

I was then slightly delayed by the possibility of my needing to play the iron guide, but that did not pan out.

Now though, I am toying with a probably-stupid-idea and need to decide if I want to try that (it won't take long), else I will look at picking this up again with a recruitment if we are still interested.
Sep 2, 2022 11:13 am
I'm still interested in the game :)
There's no rush on my end. I'm having fun with WoDu and another game I'm in atm.

The only issue is, I'm going to have to re-read everything that was said in this game so far :P
https://s3.amazonaws.com/thumbnails.illustrationsource.com/huge.103.519809.JPG
Sep 2, 2022 11:17 am
Me too. Still interested and also, no rush.
Sep 2, 2022 11:26 am
TheGenerator says:
The only issue is, I'm going to have to re-read everything that was said in this game so far
Yeah. Me too. Plus all the rules again. But c'est la vie.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.