Chapter 4 - Salar

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 1, 2016 3:15 pm
http://assets.vg247.com/current//2014/03/The_Order_1886.jpg

The train itself was actually roomier than you had expected. There was little in the way of common spaces, and sharing one car as a single room was not the worst thing in the world. After almost a full day's travel it was starting to wear a little thin. Phina had poked her head out of the lab car at the end every once in awhile, talking excitedly with Nix about what it would be like out there, living the life of adventure. But much of her time was spent in her lab car doing whatever she was doing in there. She only made a few references to working on 'something big'.

The other two crew cars ahead of yours were filled with the soldiers. Their cars were a little more packed. Bunk beds helped to house them all, but space was still limited. The middle space between them was usually filled with a few barrels that were used to play various games on.

The view outside was as unchanging as it had been since this morning. Once you left the station you entered a dark tunnel. You've been in a dark tunnel. All you see outside is the walls of a dark tunnel, only somewhat lit by the lamps inside the car. It's been hard to judge how much time has even passed, but Phina, on her last visit had mentioned it had almost been about a days travel, but at this rate it was starting to seem like it had been at least two.

The train continues to chug on through the dark tunnel, completely unaware of the passage of time, but still chugging dutifully. You're feeling tired and ready to bunk for the night/day/whatever time it may actually be outside of these dark endless tunnels.

Xadira
It is around this time you feel a bond start to forge with the Rod of Absorption. You suddenly get a sense of the past of the weapon, and it's current level of charge. It currently has 8 charges left in it. In it's lifetime it has absorbed more than a thousand spells. Whoever had this before made good use of it.

PhantomNimbus sent a note to CancerMan
Jul 1, 2016 5:05 pm
More so than usual, Firn is taciturn and almost unresponsive to any attempts at casual conversation. Much of his time is spent in a chair, tense and rigid with hands gripped upon the armrests, wide-eyed in near-panic at this unnatural mode of transportation. The constant view of darkness outside hasn't done much to alleviate Firn's obvious discomfort.

"Speak up!" he says, to whom is unknown. "Can't believe with all the noise you think it's easy to hear you."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Jul 1, 2016 5:38 pm
The rest of the party hears Firn talking to...what seems to be himself.
Jul 1, 2016 5:58 pm
With nothing better to do, I summon a hawk to keep me company as I pour over my books and notes on Salar.
Jul 1, 2016 6:02 pm
A hawk appears near Xadira and moves over to where she sits. It seems to look over her shoulder and read the book as she does.
Jul 1, 2016 6:23 pm
Aelar goes and sits down next to Firn, "You alright? You don't look so good."
Jul 1, 2016 6:27 pm
As I look over my books, I pay special attention to names and descriptions of the major players in Salar, whether it's physical descriptions or symbols of the various industries. Whatever can help identify potential allies when we arrive to the city.
Jul 1, 2016 6:31 pm
Firn doesn't look at Aelar, staring straight ahead. "Fine," he says in reply. "Just wish those ratmen-slash-gnomes working overhead kept it down."
Jul 1, 2016 7:18 pm
Eyebrow raised, Ütés peeks above the maps that she's been continuously studying during the trip, and glances over towards Firn. Gnomish ratmen? Such nonsense!
Jul 2, 2016 5:58 pm
Nix spent the first half of the trip talking everyone's ear off and exploring the train. She even went to play cards with the soldiers but soon returned, saying something about it not being fair taking their money. Eventually though, changes are seen in the gnome's behavior. She spends more and more time doing calisthenics and breathing exercises. Once, to everyone's surprise, she even spends a full ten minutes in silent meditation! Nix claims these are "pre-mission preparations."
Jul 5, 2016 3:26 pm
Bill, after getting on the train has mostly been sitting on his bunk and playing a lute he was given from the Daggers. He tunes and retunes but never seems very happy with it when he tries to play.

Eagin took as turn in the other car after Nix had returned. Eagin came back with a smirk on his face and a new purse of coin. Let's hope they fight better than they gamble, he said returning to his own bunk and spending some time looking over his various daggers and throwing knives.

After hearing Firn's strange ramblings of gnome ratment he looks to the ceiling, wondering what the heck the gensai is talking about. There are no people above us, friend, not sure if you've noticed, but we're on a moving cart, he says but looks up every now and again himself. You know, he adds, trying to help Firn become less solidly fixed to the chair he sits in, it will be worth the trip. The waters around Salar, are some of the most pristine in the world. The aquifer they have is filtered up through the sands of the desert. Clear as crystal.
Jul 5, 2016 3:59 pm
Aelar gets out the string the woman gave him at the fortress and looks it over to see if he can figure out what the best use of it would be.

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Jul 5, 2016 4:11 pm
PhantomNimbus sent a note to Naatkinson
Bill walks over, seeing Aelar fiddling with a small plastic package. Ah, looks like you found some of the strings. We had some of our show equipment with us when we arrived here. Unfortunately not much of it survived the trip, and that that did doesn't function without working power. These are a choice set of strings.

He looks down at the lute he carries and the back to you. It's been tough trying to learn on something with so many strings. It really doesn't quite make the right sound. Of course a total lack of distortion doesn't help either. If we end up finding my instrument I'll show you how to play it.
Jul 5, 2016 5:41 pm
Firn only half-listens at Eagin's words, but his interest in the prospect of a natural aquifer is noticeably piqued. Still, he seems distracted and tense, but he says nothing further about it.
CancerMan sent a note to PhantomNimbus

Rolls

Secret Roll

Jul 5, 2016 5:49 pm
Jul 5, 2016 5:56 pm
Firn rises suddenly, and steadies himself on the chair. "Just like a boat," he mutters to himself, before leaving the car on unsteady legs and heading towards out the car towards the front of the train. His eyes look upward as though he could see through the ceiling.
Jul 5, 2016 9:30 pm
Eagin watches Firn stand and start heading out through to the other car. Then he turns to the rest, Is he normally like this? Seems a little...unhinged.

Jul 5, 2016 10:53 pm

Rolls

Constitution - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Jul 6, 2016 12:57 am
"Hmm?" I look up from my books as if noticing the other occupants of the room for the first time. "Are we there already? How much time has passed?"
Jul 6, 2016 2:17 am
Jul 6, 2016 1:40 pm
Not enough, apparently, Eagin responds to Xadria after Firn steps out of the car. He props himself up on his cot and looks at the bird that seems to be reading over Xadira's shoulder. So what's with that thing? Like I know it looks like a bird and acts like a bird, but from what I've heard it isn't really a bird. Does it eat?, he halfling questions as he gets up and walks over, eyeing the bird closer.
Jul 6, 2016 4:30 pm
Jul 6, 2016 4:37 pm
"Fawkes is capable of eating, but he does not require sustenance. He is a fey spirit in hawk form." He hops off my shoulder for a moment and circles around the cramped space before landing on my opposite shoulder.
Jul 6, 2016 10:13 pm
"It certainly is an impressive looking animal" Ütés adds prying her eyes away from the maps. "Tell me, Xadira, can the fey take on the shape of other animals as well?"
Jul 10, 2016 4:09 am
Nix sits cross-legged in a corner, the Robe of Stars drawn about her. The Astral Plane, Ruven said. I wonder what that's like? Nix sends her awareness probing outwards, and attempts the jump across the planes of existence.
Last edited July 10, 2016 8:59 am
Jul 11, 2016 2:29 pm
In the Soldier's Car
Firn, you enter back into the chaos of cheers and jeers that is the raucous soldier car. Most of the soldiers are engrossed in their game and don't even know you had entered, left, and re-entered the car. One soldier, on the side of the group closest to you watched you walk in, back out, and then back in. She walks over and slaps you on the back. Still getting your land legs?, she says with a snort of laughter. She grabs a stein nearby and shoves it into your hands. Drink this, it'll help, or at least you won't care you're on a train, she snorts again.

In the Hero Car
As you sit around, each taking up your own tasks and pre-mission rituals the car is actually quite calm. The thrumming engine of the car has been relegated to a sort of droning background noise. It's not altogether pleasant, or unpleasant. As the time ticks by Nix absentmindedly seems to be playing with her cloak when, suddenly, she is no longer there. Where she sat is just an empty cot.

PhantomNimbus sent a note to Jabes.Plays.RPG
Jul 11, 2016 4:05 pm
"It's like a boat," Firn says, mantra-like even as he takes the offered stein and drains its contents. At the very least, it leaves a better taste in his mouth than the previous occupants.

The genasi wipes his lips with his sleeve. "The roof," he says to the soldier, half-turning back towards the car he arrived from, "is there a safe way to inspect it?"
Jul 11, 2016 4:09 pm
Aelar sits forward when Nix disappears, "Nix, where'd you go?"
Jul 11, 2016 5:24 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
Well this is kinda boring! Nix thinks to herself. Not even any ground to walk on. I wonder how one might move around here. Not that there's anywhere to go. Nix looks in the direction she saw the robed figure, and wills herself forward...
OOC:
Do I hear Aelar calling my name?
Last edited July 11, 2016 5:25 pm
Jul 11, 2016 5:57 pm
Jul 11, 2016 6:23 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to PhantomNimbus
Last edited July 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Jul 11, 2016 7:04 pm
Jul 11, 2016 9:49 pm
Hearing Aelar call out to Nix, Ütés throws her maps to the side, and reaches for one of her daggers. She'll walk over to NIx's cot and investigate. "Did no one see her leave?" she asks looking at Aelar.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Jul 11, 2016 10:24 pm
"No need to panic, everyone. I'm sure Nix is testing out the properties of her new robe. I would do the same with my rod, but alas it would be best to save its charges for Salar." I sigh, placing my books back into my bags. I can always read more later when the others are asleep. "So. Are we exploring this transport vessel?"
Last edited July 11, 2016 10:25 pm
Jul 11, 2016 10:35 pm
"Ah, I see..." Ütés says, a little embarrassed that she hadn't realized what had happened.
Jul 12, 2016 12:32 pm
Aelar considers Xadira's explanation for a moment before sitting back and relaxing, "Yeah, that sounds about right," then he pulls out the hilt of his new sword and spends a little bit of time looking it over, extending and retracting the magical blade and becoming as familiar with it as he can.
Jul 12, 2016 1:56 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to PhantomNimbus
Last edited July 12, 2016 1:56 pm
Jul 12, 2016 2:37 pm
Jul 12, 2016 3:48 pm
Nix looks out across the endless expanse. Why would anyone come here? What were they thinking when they added this ability to this otherwise awesome cloak? She practices swimming through the featureless silvery sea, but she soon tires of it. Hmm...I wonder how long I've been gone? Have the others noticed me missing? Maybe I should go back. Nix focuses on a mental image of her cot in the train and wills herself to return to her own world.
Jul 12, 2016 4:37 pm
In the Hero Car
Nix suddenly pops back into existence on her cot as though nothing had changed. She was only gone for moments, but she herself is completely unaware of how much time could have passed until she is back. It was as if the place where she was had no use or meaning for time.
Jul 13, 2016 12:36 am
"A little warning next time, Friend" Ütés says with a smile. "Wasn't sure what happened to you."
Jul 13, 2016 6:56 am
Nix grins sheepishly. "Hiya! Sorry, I just thought I'd try it. Spur of the moment. How long was I gone? Did you miss me? I heard Aelar calling, sort of. Could you hear me calling back? It was super boring and lonely. What do you know about the Astral Plane, Xadira?
Last edited July 13, 2016 6:56 am
Jul 18, 2016 5:05 pm
Nix continues to ply Xadira with questions, hardly letting the elf get a word in edgewise, "I mean, once there was this person and then he wasn't there anymore and then there was this monster thing with a big mouth and tentacles and it had Aelar's voice but not really and it was calling my name and then it was gone and I could swim in the silver clouds except it wasn't swimming I had to use my mind then I could scoot around real fast except I couldn't really tell because everything looked the same..."
Jul 18, 2016 5:25 pm
I nod along quickly as Nix describes her experience. "Really! That is quite fascinating! How large were the silver clouds? Would you say the tentacled individual disappeared quickly, or faded while you responded to it? Did you speak to it with words or with your mind?" I quickly jot down notes as both of us speak, while simultaneously trying to recall what I know of the astral plane.

Rolls

History/Arcana? - (1d20+8)

(8) + 8 = 16

Jul 19, 2016 7:43 pm
"Everything was super quick, except for the clouds - they were moving slow like. I tried speaking but it didn't work so I tried with my mind and that did something to the clouds but no one answered and I got worried you'd all be worried so I came back."
Jul 21, 2016 3:08 am
"The best way to work out a complicated situation is sound logic and quick thinking. Excellent instincts, Nix! And as to your previous question, Ütés, Fawkes can take many forms. I am particularly fond of hawks, however. There's a certain wisdom in their eyes, wouldn't you say?" I stroke the hawk's beak.
Jul 21, 2016 12:28 pm
"He's certainly a beautiful creature," Aelar says, walking over and reaching out toward the bird. His hand stops several inches away and he looks to Xadira for permission to touch the bird.
Jul 21, 2016 6:28 pm
Nix peers closely at the hawk. "How do you even know it's a he? I don't see any funny parts."
Last edited July 21, 2016 6:50 pm
Jul 21, 2016 6:56 pm
"I asked him, of course! One should never make presumptions as that would be rather rude." I give Aelar and Fawkes a nod, and the bird hops onto his hand, leaning his head forward and staring at Aelar. "He's rather friendly. Just stay away from his claws and tail feathers."
Jul 21, 2016 6:58 pm
Aelar gently pets the bird's head and stares into its overly intelligent eyes, marveling at the beauty of the creature.
Jul 21, 2016 7:33 pm
"Hiya, Fawkes! Nix sends telepathically, smiling broadly.
OOC:
Mind Meld
You can communicate telepathically with one creature you can see within 120 feet of you. You don’t need to share a language with a creature for it to understand your telepathic utterances, and the creature understands you even if it lacks a language. You can allow a creature to respond to you telepathically, but it must understand at least one language in order to communicate this way. You can’t communicate with an unwilling creature.
Last edited July 21, 2016 7:34 pm
Jul 21, 2016 8:15 pm
Fawkes' eyes scrutinize Nix before he responds. You've got something stuck between your teeth. How embarrassing.
Jul 21, 2016 10:49 pm
Nix jumps up and down, clapping her hands excitedly. "He talked to me! I mean, I talked to him first - that is, I said hi with my mind. And he talked back; said I had something in my teeth! How cool is that?!" Nix points out the thing in her teeth as if to prove that Fawkes is right.
Jul 22, 2016 2:21 pm
"He seems to like you. He's not normally very chatty. He's an excellent scout. The first time I summoned him, I was able to see through his eyes and determine the location of Aelar's troupe. It was incredibly helpful, although quite disorienting! Flying is dizzying. Not actual flying, but the sensation of it through his eyes. Especially when... well, he met an untimely end. He doesn't feel pain, but it was upsetting nonetheless."
Jul 28, 2016 4:07 am
"What about the rest of you? Have you had a chance to test out your new equipment?" I look towards Aelar and Ütés. "Has Firn come back yet? He seems to be taking quite a long time."
Last edited July 28, 2016 4:07 am
Jul 28, 2016 5:32 am
Firn is still in the soldier car ahead, conversing with the occupants about the incredulous idea of inspecting the roof of a moving vehicle.
Jul 28, 2016 12:50 pm
Aelar smiles and holds the hilt up, and making sure there's nobody that'll get hurt by doing so, extends the shimmering blade with a mere thought, "Beautiful, isn't it?"
Aug 6, 2016 2:37 am
"Truly, just magnificent. Warm, like the sun. Or perhaps that is just my imagination! Well, in any case this blade seems much more useful than a torch."
Aug 16, 2016 6:07 pm
"I'm going to go see how Firn's doing." Nix announces, heading for the soldier car.
Aug 16, 2016 6:12 pm
"Fawkes will join you. He will be my eyes and ears! And wings, of course!" I laugh at my joke before finding a comfortable spot to sit back down. Fawkes lands on Nix's shoulder.
Aug 16, 2016 6:19 pm
Nix's eyes go wide when Xadira puts the magnificent haqk on her shoulder. "Neat! You and I are gonna be such good friends, Fawkes!"
Aug 16, 2016 7:02 pm
Fawkes digs his claws into Nix's shoulder and occasionally stretches out his wings, smacking her in the face.
Aug 16, 2016 9:16 pm
Having gotten back to her studying of the maps, Ütés lets out a light chuckle at Nix's enthusiasm.
Aug 22, 2016 3:35 pm
As the intrepid duo of Nix and Fawkes open the door to get to the soldier car they are also greeted with the loud sound of the train chugging through the underground tunnel at a fast clip. The sound drowns out anything else and with a few steps they open the solider car door and slip inside. Here they are greeted by the raucous sound of soldiers in their dice games.

At the edge of this group they see Firn standing near a few soldiers saying something about sounds above the car. The soldiers talking to him seem to be giving him a bit of a look and a few strong drinks to try and calm his obvious nerves.

Why don't you just relax and play a round of king's dice, a female soldier says to him, giving him a small laugh, It'll help pass the time.

Xadira, sits in the other car, eyes white as she takes in the scene through the eyes of Fawkes.
OOC:
I'm assuming Xadira wanted to see what was going on there too, which means she needs to use the eagle's eyes, and loses her own sight.
Aug 22, 2016 7:19 pm
Firn has been multitasking, trying to convince the soldiers to take a look upstairs while also downing whatever drink is offered to him. "Maybe just poke a head out?" he says, words slightly slurred.
Aug 22, 2016 9:23 pm
"Hey Firn, what's up?"
Aug 22, 2016 9:27 pm
As Nix speaks up the female soldier turns and gives you a relieved smile. Oh good. This guys been a bit high strung and ranting since he got in here. You may want to take him back to the other car. He keeps talking about things on the train, she says as she sort of turns Firn to meet Nix and tries to push him to walk back.
Aug 22, 2016 11:12 pm
Firn turns as directed. "Hey," he says. "You musta heard it? Them things... on teh... the roof." He lifts a finger to indicate upward. "Makin' lotta noise. We shoudl see... should. See."
Aug 24, 2016 4:16 pm
"Noise? I dont hear anything, buddy!" Nix turns to the soldiers. "Do you guys hear anything?" Nix cocks an ear upward.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Aug 24, 2016 5:17 pm
Over the noise of the soldiers enthralled in their games and chat you can hear no noises. The soldiers pushing Firn towards you briefly cock their heads upwards but seem mostly to ignore the idea. We are in a tunnel carved through the very earth. We have to be at least 100 feet down below the surface. I think maybe you two should go get some sleep. Being in a dark tunnel like this can really play tricks on the mind if you aren't used to it.

She keeps pushing Firn, towards you Nix.
Aug 24, 2016 5:27 pm
"Trust me, I know all about mind tricks." Nix says wryly, taking Firn's arm. "C'mon, Firn, let's go."
Aug 24, 2016 5:31 pm
"Yeah, okay," says Firn, easily guided by the sober arms. "We can look on our own."
Aug 24, 2016 5:37 pm
"Are you serious? " Nix whispers as she leads Firn away. " You really wanna climb up on the roof while the train's moving?!"
Aug 24, 2016 5:47 pm
Firn appears to definitely want that, as he attempts to look for a ladder or something between the train cars. Should there not be a ladder, he will try to grab the edge of the roof of the car the others are in and do a pull-up.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20-1)

(3) - 1 = 2

Aug 24, 2016 5:55 pm
As Firn drunkenly staggers around between the traincars he looks like he wants to try and jump up to grab the top of the car but his first attend ends as drunkenly as you would imagine and he jumps, but gets nowhere near high enough to reach up onto the car.

From Nix's point of view he tried to jump, but his feet never actually left the ground.
OOC:
I giggled a bit seeing that roll. :)
Aug 24, 2016 6:42 pm
"C'mon, you! Maybe you better lie down." Nix tries to wrangle Firn back into the train with the others.
Aug 24, 2016 7:11 pm
Fawkes gives a cursory look upwards while in-between cars.

Rolls

Perception (w/advantage) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

1d20+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

Aug 24, 2016 7:16 pm
Fawkes, still perched on Nix's shoulder, and with the sight and hearing of Xadira, looks up at the top of the train car Firn was trying to get onto.

PhantomNimbus sent a note to Moofsalot
Aug 24, 2016 7:17 pm
"Lying donw doesn't allow me make me see up there," says Firn, clearly mis-pronouncing the word down.
Aug 29, 2016 12:11 pm
Without moving my head, I blurt out. "Strange noises. Whispering? Interesting."
Aug 29, 2016 5:08 pm
"What's going on over there?" Aelar asks Xadira, curious now as to what's going on.
Aug 29, 2016 7:32 pm
"Why can't I se anythign?" wonders Firn, uncertain of how far he's pulled himself up towards the roof of the car.
Aug 30, 2016 1:53 am
"Hey! Get down here before you hurt yourself! Xadira, are you seeing this? Can you guys help me with Firn? I don't wanna have to get in his head!"
OOC:
I see/hear none of whatever's up there, correct?
Aug 30, 2016 2:02 am
I shake my head, vision returning to my eyes as I mentally release Fawkes and call him back to my shoulder. "What? Oh, right, yes. Fawkes is incredibly perceptive! He/I, we... there was some kind of commotion a few train cars ahead. Skittering and some kind of whispering. It wasn't very clear, but perhaps Firn was correct in his assessment that there is something strange going on, perhaps in that direction."
Aug 30, 2016 2:04 am
OOC:
You do not. So far only Firn and Xadria (as Fawkes) has seen or heard anything.
Firn seems adament about trying to get on the traincar but is making little drunken progress.
OOC:
Firn, you can try the agility/athletics check again if you want to break free and attempt to climb again.

I should also note, as far as I know Xadira and the rest are still inside the next train car and Nix, Firn, and Fawkes, are wrestling just outside that car.
Aug 30, 2016 2:06 am
OOC:
Yeah we're in between cars. Nix was using Fawkes as a microphone to talk to Xadira.

Nix is physically trying to restrain Firn so he doesn't hurt himself .
Last edited August 30, 2016 2:07 am
Aug 30, 2016 7:06 am
Firn is in no position to pull himself up onto the roof, his body already having to contend with impaired balance on a moving platform. He is easily moved in whichever direction he is guided.

And the genasi suddenly stands still. He looks over at where Nix's head would be if she were his height, and mutters, "Don't mfeel good." His blue face seems to have taken the color of deep-sea algae.
Sep 4, 2016 5:02 am
"Oh dear, we should see what they're up to..." With furrowed brow, I move to the next car in search of Firn and the others.
Sep 6, 2016 2:23 pm
Xadira steps outside the train car to the loud thundering in the tunnel and finds a very Blue-green looking Firn seeming to talk to the air above Nix. She seems to be wrestling with him to get him to stop trying to climb up on top of a train car.
Sep 7, 2016 3:56 pm
Firn finally stops trying to climb the car and instead grasps the rail to steady himself...

...to no avail. The hard alcohol swimming in his stomach finally finds a new outlet as Firn vomits everything onto the tracks.
Last edited September 7, 2016 3:57 pm

Rolls

Constitution - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Sep 8, 2016 1:30 am
I don't even look at him- my head turns one direction as my arms instinctively motion towards Firn and with a few whispered incantations, he's cleaned up as best as I can do. When I'm done he vaguely smells of tea.
Sep 9, 2016 10:40 pm
"Are you alright, Firn? We can't investigate the noises you heard if you're in this terrible state. Oh dear..."
Sep 11, 2016 4:38 pm
"Somethig's up there," mumbles Firn. "Soundsl ike talking, scratching. Got worried, ctogotta check it out." He slowly sinks until he sits on the walkway between cars, one hand holding onto the rail.
Sep 11, 2016 4:40 pm
"I don't hear anything, Firn." Nix says. "Do you guys hear anything?" she asks Xadira and Aelar.
Sep 13, 2016 12:06 pm
I nod vigorously. "The sound seems to be coming from a few cars ahead."
Sep 13, 2016 3:32 pm
"So he's not just crazy? Alright... Xadira, can you show me where the sound is coming from? I'll go take a peek for you, Firn, you rest."
Sep 13, 2016 4:07 pm
At this moment, as you are discussing this in the space between cars, Phina continues in her workshop to tinker, and Utes is back in the team's car you hear a noise. A sort of loud WHUMP sound. This is followed briefly by a cloud of black smoke that suddenly overtakes the tunnel, and then passes as the train speeds along. You all hear this sound, even over the loud clacking and chugging of the train as it continues down the track ceaselessly.

The raucous sounds coming from the soldier's car even go quiet as they all seem to have heard the noise as well. The sounds of the speeding train resumes as before.

What do you all do?
OOC:
As for train setup the main engine was up front. Followed by a small car carrying coal. This is apparently used to fuel whatever machinations power this thing. After that is the soldier car, and there is no door on the other side of the soldier's car, as there is nothing out there to get between the cars.

You would need to climb along the outside of the train to get up to any areas in front of the soldier's car.
Sep 13, 2016 4:59 pm
Firn seems to nod, seated where he is by the door.
Sep 13, 2016 11:09 pm
*looks up from her maps with an annoyed expression*

Should have just taken mounts

*looks back down at her maps*
Sep 19, 2016 7:00 pm
"Do you know where I can find an accurate layout of this train, including the cars ahead?" I hug my cloak a little closer. It's risky, but perhaps less so than climbing along the train?
Sep 20, 2016 5:45 pm
OOC:
Are you asking one of your own group, or looking for one of the soldiers in the soldier car?
Sep 21, 2016 8:14 pm
OOC:
Soldiers
Sep 22, 2016 4:46 pm
One of the soldiers turns his attention from listening in their car, they all seem to be looking forward to the front of their car, the sound must have come from up in front of even them.

Uh, we don't have much of plans for this thing. Half of us barely understand the mechanisms that move it, says a woman with dark red hair pulled back into a tight braid. We should figure out what that sound was, though, she adds.
Sep 24, 2016 7:14 pm
"What's going on?" Nix pipes up. She clambers up to the top edge to maybe peek over the top of the soldier car.
OOC:
Switching Focus to Celerity

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Sep 27, 2016 3:37 am
"Well, it appears that someone will need to climb on top of this wagon if we're to find out what caused that loud sound up ahead." I look hopefully at the others. Surely one of them would like to volunteer for this dangerous task?
Sep 27, 2016 4:17 am
"Stupid and dangerous task with a high chance of death or dismemberment? Sounds like a job for me!" Aelar volunteers himself for the job.
Sep 27, 2016 9:23 am
"I'll go with you!"
Sep 28, 2016 5:28 am
Firn tries to stand, but it seems to take more effort to get even an arm onto the railing.
Oct 4, 2016 1:41 pm
You continue to discuss, formulate, and organize a plan when suddenly an ear-splitting sound rocks the tunnel.

KRACKAKOOOOOOW!

You're simultaneously deafened and blinded by both the sound, and the sudden flash of white light. You feel the rumble that reverberates the whole tunnel, and worse, you feel the train beneath your feet lurch unexpectedly. It's a strong jerk up as this speeding train hits something and starts to go upwards instead of forwards. You only have a brief moment before you realize this train is no longer following the tracks it should be, but is rocketing upwards from its underground confines.
OOC:
Everyone can either make a dexterity saving throw, or take another action. How do you try and stay safe during this event?
With only a split second to act you hear screaming, the rending of metal against stone, and your own breath echoing in your ears, as from a far away location.
Oct 4, 2016 2:11 pm
I immediately curl into a ball on the floor, tapping my electrum pin in the hopes that it will protect me from whatever is happening.
Oct 4, 2016 2:59 pm
Nix transports herself to the relative safety of the Astral Plane.
OOC:
The Robe of Stars doesn't let me take anyone with me, does it?
Last edited October 4, 2016 3:04 pm
Oct 4, 2016 3:00 pm
Aelar tries to grab ahold of something to prevent himself from being thrown from the train.

Rolls

Dex save - (1d20+7)

(16) + 7 = 23

Oct 4, 2016 3:18 pm
OOC:
The robe of stars I believe is just for you. I think Xadira could have brought someone with her cloak, but it would seem in the moment she took a different approach to save herself. :) Just waiting to see what Firn and Utes do.
Oct 4, 2016 9:53 pm
Still seated and studying her maps, Ütés instinctively braces herself as she feels herself lurching upwards.
OOC:
Critical bracing!! :-)
Last edited October 4, 2016 9:53 pm

Rolls

Dexterity ST - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Oct 4, 2016 11:46 pm
Firn cannot tell if the sudden movement is a result of whatever concoction those soldiers gave him, as his vision spins and jolts just as much in his inebriated state.

Rolls

Dexterity - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Oct 5, 2016 2:10 pm
As the train rockets up and bucks around Aelar and Firn manage to grab hold and brace themselves. They find hold on their train car. As the train continues upwards the soldier car and engine separate from the rest of the train and start to roll sideways.

Xadira hits her pin and a translucent purple shimmer surrounds her as she huddles into a ball. As your train car hits some of the rocks of this slop it bucks upwards and Xadira is launched into the air as nothing is holding her in place.

Utes instinctively braces herself into a solid position inside the train car. Looking back she sees the entrance to the last car, the lab car, and a moment later it is gone. The hero car splits in two with a loud CRACK. The lab car veers off another direction and starts to roll like the soldier car and engine.

In all of the noise and chaos you see the engine to the train. It's entirely engulfed in orange flames and it billows black smoke. As it, and the soldier car, are pulled off the the left the entire train crests this hill it is now climbing rapidly. The entire train, now separated into 3 pieces arcs through the air and you see nothing but white sand in every direction.

As the soldier car and engine arc out and smash back into the ground the engine erupts with one more explosion, destroying most of the structure and blowing apart the entire soldier car. Xadira, still in a ball flies through the sky and soon finds herself falling. She falls and falls. She was launched nearly 40 feet in the air and impacts almost like a metor leaving a small crater. As she hits the ground the purple shimmer around her glows bright, and then seems to shatter as the damage is absorbed into the shield. She finds herself in a crater, but unscathed.

As the portion of the hero car that has Firn, Aelar, and Utes on it hits the sand it starts to roll. Firn and Aelar are jostled loose and flop against the sand as the train car continues to roll further. Utes, inside the car, rolls with it, but is solidly braced and only winds up slightly dizzy from all the spinning.

The other half of the hero car and the lab car are last to crest the hill and the just barely do so, tipping up over the edge and sliding across the sand, it finally comes to rest near Aelar and Firn.

The scene happens in fractions of a second but the whole event seems to have taken forever to finally come to a rest. After all of the chaos, suddenly there is silence. You hear fire crackling near where the engine and soldier car are now completely engulfed in flames, but everything else is suddenly silent. You are all still alive, somehow.
Oct 5, 2016 4:45 pm
"I don't like that drink," mutters Firn into the sand. "The kick at the end is terrible."
Oct 5, 2016 7:02 pm
Nix counts to 100 in the swirling astral mists before popping back into the world.
OOC:
Does she reappear next to the wreckage, or in the now empty tunnel?
"Is everyone okay?" she yells. "Oh, Phina!" she cries, frantically searching the lab car's wreckage for her friend.
Oct 5, 2016 7:07 pm
Nix pops into existence and finds herself falling about 3 feet to the ground from the point where she disappeared. Looking up this steep collapsed rock hill she sees a jagged cut path caused by the train as it passed. Bits of twisted and torn metal and wood litter the path up to the brim of this natural ramp. Looking back she can see the empty train tunnel that abruptly ends.

As you approach the lab car it's on its side and is silent. Trying the door it is still locked as well as jammed closed in the collision.
Oct 5, 2016 7:14 pm
The little gnome picks the lock before trying to force the door open.
Last edited October 5, 2016 9:51 pm

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Pick the door lock - (1d20+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Oct 5, 2016 9:48 pm
Waiting until she's sure that the train has come to a complete stop Ütés crawls out of the broken car and into the sand. "Firn!! Aelar!!" she yells out, trying to determine what happened to the others that were in the car with her.
Oct 5, 2016 10:55 pm
"We seem to be okay," Aelar calls from somewhere to Utes' left, "though I'm not really sure Fire knows what happened. Have you seen Xadira or Nix?"
Oct 5, 2016 11:07 pm
Firn crawls out of the sand at Ütés' feet, shaking his head free of dust and debris. "Oh good, we stopped moving," he complains, with an obvious headache.
Oct 5, 2016 11:20 pm
Still trying to get the lab door open, Nix yells, "Phina!!! Can you hear me?"
Last edited October 5, 2016 11:20 pm
Oct 6, 2016 12:03 am
"I haven't seen either of them" Ütés answers as she watches Firn climb out of the sand. "Do you see any sign of the other compartments?"

Rolls

Perception (signs of the others?) - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Oct 6, 2016 4:06 am
I feel a strange ringing in my ears as I attempt to get my bearings. *Fawkes?!*
Last edited October 6, 2016 4:06 am
Oct 6, 2016 1:26 pm
Nix
As you climb up to the door and attempt to wrench it open the door gives some resistance. After a few tugs the door opens suddenly with a clang. The bright sunlight illuminates the inside of the car slightly. Inside is an utter disaster. Everything is everywhere.

As you try to look about you suddenly hear a sound coming from the rear of the car. A sort of whirring noise accompanied by a rhythmic thumping. It grows louder and more regular and suddenly you hear another noise as something big tears its way out through what was before the roof of the train car. It leaves a large hole that spills more sunlight into the interior of the car.

As you look over to see what emerged you see a strange sort of creature. It's a hulking wood and metal construct. It's abdomen is a large orb-shaped section. It has two large metalic arms connected by some sort of strange series of wires and iron brackets. It stands firmly on two large solid iron feet. At the top of the torso you see wrought iron bars that come up around the top to form a small sort of protective cage, and inside this cage you see the familiar shock of pink hair of Phina. She seems to be piloting whatever this thing is with a series of levers.

On the outside of one of the arms of this construct you see the lancer that she had been given by the Daggers. It looks almost like a large pronged sword attached to the forearm of this thing.

Utes
As you scan the scene you see three distinct areas of wreckage. The first is the engine and soldier car, or what is left of them. The two have been almost completely blown to pieces and are engulfed in flames. To a soldier such as yourself it's clear to see that there are probably not going to be survivors from that.

The second is the portion of the hero car that you were inside. Structurally it's intact, except that it's been split in two.

The third is the other portion of the hero car that is still attached to the lab car. That's on its side, but still intact, save for one large hole that is now in the roof of the car, you also see Phina in this strange monstrosity.

Xadira
Fawkes comes swooping down to rest on your shoulder. He managed to take flight through the opening in the tunnel that was created and avoided the wreck.
Oct 6, 2016 1:33 pm
Nix gapes at the metal construct, then cheers when she realizes the machine is Phina's. "Are you alright, Phina? You had me worried! Whoa that thing is awesome! What dou you call it? How does it work? Wait, we better check on the others!"
Oct 6, 2016 5:01 pm
"Is anyone hurt?" Firn asks, absently. He rubs his temples, slowly regaining his sobriety. "Maybe I should put out those fires?"
Oct 6, 2016 11:22 pm
"I'm afraid it would do little good" Ütés says in a solemn tone.

Turning to try and locate where the lab my have ended up in all of this she lets at a gasp at the sight of a huge mechanical beast. Momentarily stunned she suddenly notices a the familiar pink hair. "It's got Phina!!!!" she yells, drawing her sword and rushing off to engage the creature.
OOC:
Driver? Prisoner? Ütés can't tell the difference.
Last edited October 7, 2016 7:28 pm
Oct 7, 2016 3:44 am
"I'm alright! Is everyone ok?" I stand up, brushing any remaining sand off my beautiful new robes.
Oct 7, 2016 6:54 am
Atop the lab car, Nix looks around and waves at the others. Instead of yelling, she sends telepathically, "Phina and I are okay! Is everyone okay? Utes, what's wrong?"
Last edited October 7, 2016 6:55 am
Oct 7, 2016 2:12 pm
Phina turns to address Nix's many questions, but is distracted as she sees Utes suddenly charging her. Gaaaaahhhhh!, she screams as she frantically pulls levers. The hands of the automaton come up defensively, Utes, no, it's me!, she shouts from inside the iron caged area on top. She pulls move levers and the things starts to slowly back up but stumbles over a large rock in the ground and topples backwards.
Oct 7, 2016 7:33 pm
Hearing Nix's voice in her head Ütés isn't sure what to make of it. A trick!! she thinks and continues her charge, but when she hears Phina yell out she stops in her tracks. She watches as the creatures takes on a defensive stance only to stumble and fall backwards to the ground.

Rushing over to the cage, she kneels in the sand next to Phina to make sure she's alright. "Please forgive me, my friend. I had thought you were in danger."
Oct 8, 2016 9:24 pm
"Anyone missing?" asks Firn, counting heads above ground. "Besides the obvious..."
Oct 10, 2016 1:53 am
Still somewhat disoriented, I reach outwards with my mind to detect any trace of magic in the vicinity, other than what I'm aware already of. I'm unsure what else would have caused this disturbance. I don't even want to consider what toll the destruction of the train has had on the soldiers...
OOC:
Casting Detect Magic
Oct 10, 2016 8:33 am
"The soldiers!"Nix gasps, whirling around to locate the soldier car. "There! Phina, help! Bring that contraption of yours!" Nix sprints for the wreckage of the soldier car, hoping for survivors.
OOC:
Yeah, I know, judging by the GM narration it's probably futile. But Nix hasn't given up hope.
Last edited October 10, 2016 8:36 am
Oct 10, 2016 1:10 pm
Aelar looks back at the soldier car and sighs sadly, knowing in his heart that there are no survivors but knowing they had to try anyway. He heads back that way with Nix to see what they can find.
Oct 10, 2016 1:20 pm
It's okay, Phina says to Utes with a smile. She is about to say more when Nix breaks in. Phina takes a few moments to struggle the machine to it's feet and starts to head to the soldier car with Nix and Aelar.

As they run over Xadira detects the magical nature of that which is around her. She sees the machine Phina is in is glowing in various parts. No doubt it is partly driven by magic as much as machine. She also notices little flecks of magical energy in the sand of the desert around them. She feels it acting like a conduit of magical energy. Something about this desert is a little magical.

As far as the rest of the train there is no traces of magic whatsoever.

As the rest of the team makes it to the scene of the soldier traincar you can now only see the metal ribs of the car that have yet to be melted by the fire. Large holes have been burned through the wood of the soldier car and it's a grim scene of charred bodies inside. It's clear from a look that there is no helping the. All of the soldiers perished in the crash.

Phina, who had a smile on her face a minute ago covers her mouth and gasps. Tears are welling up in her eyes. She chokes back a few sobs. Those...those soldiers...they..., she stands up and kicks open a portion of the metal cage of the machine she is in and jumps down, landing with a thump into the sand and she throws up behind the metal creature.
Oct 10, 2016 3:42 pm
Nix goes to Phina to console her. Looking up at the others, she asks, "What do we do now?"
Oct 10, 2016 4:33 pm
"Finish the mission, on foot," croaks Firn, approaching the car aflame. He gathers up a handful of sand, holds it outstretched, and lets the grains slip through his fingers as he whispers words of prayer. The druid performs a quick funerary rite to respect the lost and their sacrifice for the Daggers.
Oct 10, 2016 4:38 pm
"Yes, keep walking on foot... that seems to be our only option at the moment..." I attempt to determine how far we are from our destination.
Last edited October 10, 2016 4:38 pm
Oct 10, 2016 4:39 pm
"That would seem our only choice now... Let's look through this thing and gather what supplies we can take with us," Aelar suggests, a sadness in his voice.
Oct 10, 2016 4:40 pm
Looking around you the desert stretches out in all directions to the horizon. With the featureless white sand everywhere it's hard to even determine direction. The only indicator is the tracks that are in the crater below. By this time in the trip they should have been heading Southeast towards the city of Salar, though it's hard to determine just how far away you were.
OOC:
If you want, Xadira, you could send Fawkes up as a scout and roll a perception.
Oct 10, 2016 4:42 pm
Fawkes takes to the sky, flying in a high circle.

Rolls

Perception w/advantage - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

1d20+2 : (8) + 2 = 10

Oct 10, 2016 4:46 pm
As Fawkes circles you are able to see with his eyes. The accute sense of sight makes out a few small green oasis' that dot the landscape, and in the very far distance a sparkling green gem in the desert. The city of Salar. From this height you could determine it would be about a two-day walk in what appears to be pretty much entirely open desert.

Already the sun is finally starting to set in now that the excitement of the crash has worn down. The sun ceaselessly beats down with a very dry heat.

Phina weakly gets to her feet, using Nix's arm for support. I...didn't think adventuring would...be like this, she says as she stands on shaky legs.
Oct 10, 2016 4:48 pm
"Yeah, it's not quite as glamorous as the stories we tell," Aelar says with a humorless chuckle, then turns to Xadira, "What does Fawkes see?"
Oct 10, 2016 4:59 pm
While the others scout the surroundings via airborne reconnaissance, Firn tries to determine if there are still rail tracks continuing on to their destination. From where he stands, he is unable to tell if the tunnel they were in had collapsed, or if they had already exited the underground passage.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Oct 10, 2016 5:09 pm
Firn
As you examine the crater left from whatever caused this explosion you can see the tracks at the bottom of it, and some of the tunnel that the train came from. It looks like the jagged entrance to a cave sitting at the bottom of this crater.

On the other side the tracks continue into a sloped side to the crater that is made up of rocks and boulders of all sizes. It's maybe 60 feet down to the bottom of the crater. It would seem that the train was supposed to continue underground but this massive explosion basically made a sinkhole that created an improvised sort of ramp that the train rocketed up.

You can see where the tracks should be going, but you would have to dig your way into it. You're not exactly sure how much digging that would entail.
Oct 11, 2016 3:13 am
"It will be 2 days of travel on foot. There are faster ways to get there, but I can't think of any way to get all of us there more quickly. I'm unsure as to the right course of action." I sigh, a miserable expression on my face.
Oct 11, 2016 3:20 am
Firn looks over Phina's metal machine. "Can that construct dig into the tunnel? That's if we want to continue on foot there."
Oct 11, 2016 1:31 pm
Phina looks to Firn, a grim look still etched across her face even as she tries to force a small smile. It should be able to. This is sort of the field test for it, she says, Is that the way we want to go?
Oct 11, 2016 3:53 pm
"I think it's a good idea. Here on the surface we'll be too exposed. I know you can do it!" Nix says, patting the construct encouragingly. "Have you given him a name yet?"
Oct 11, 2016 3:59 pm
"Sounds like a good idea to me!"
Oct 11, 2016 5:12 pm
As Phina prepares to dig into the ground, Firn looks over the wreckage in the off-chance he can spot a clue as to who or what caused the derailment. Hearing the odd noises was too much of a coincidence to take lightly.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Oct 20, 2016 3:47 am
"Let's try that first. I'd like to stay out of the sun if possible. Does anyone have torches?"
Oct 20, 2016 5:17 am
Firn nods to Xadira, pulling several torches from his pack. Each one can be lit with the genasi's Druidcraft.
Oct 25, 2016 1:57 pm
As Phina composes herself and climbs back into her strange armor she works her way over to the pile of rubble. She works to try and move the larger stones that have collapsed on the tunnel. The armor strains and manages to move some of the larger boulders, but it is still slow going. Finally she seems to be struck by an idea.

Alright, stand back everyone, I've never gotten to try this out, she says as the armor takes a braced stance and points the arm with the arcane lancer attached to it forward. She pulls another lever and the lancer starts to glow with a pulsating blue light. It makes a high pitched whine as the glow gains in intensity. Finally a blue electric bolt flies forth from the lancer and with a BOOM it impacts the rocks creating a small explosion of crackling energy.

The air is filled with dust and debris. As it slowly fades and settles you see a large cavity blown in the collapsed rock that leads to the tracks that were once buried. You can now enter and continue along the train tunnel.

Firn
As you hear Phina starting to work on moving the rocks you go to investigate the train. As you approach the train the flames have died down to almost nothing. The main train car looks as though it was blown apart internally. You also notice a familiar scent. Having dealt with pirate ships in the past it's something quite familiar. Black powder. The very same that would be loaded into cannons on ships to fire cannonballs. You've heard tale of people using this same black powder to make explosive devices.

Looking around more you find mostly only charred bodies in the soldier car, and nothing is left of the ratman that was driving this train, but you do find something strange. It looks like the charred leg of a small lizard man. A kobold, probably.

Just then you feel the ground rumble as Phina blows a hole into the tracks below.
Oct 25, 2016 4:26 pm
"Whoa!" says Nix, peering into the tunnel. "I'll go first. Gnomes are good underground!" She hops into the hole and starts creeping along the tunnel.
OOC:
Psionic focus on Celerity

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Stealth, gnome advantage - (1d20+6, 1d20+6)

1d20+6 : (10) + 6 = 16

1d20+6 : (9) + 6 = 15

Oct 25, 2016 4:35 pm
Nix
As you stealthily enter the tunnel it's dark and quiet. You hear a small pebble fall here and there in the shifting rocks as you enter, but once inside the small entry you find yourself looking at the familiar dark tunnel with a set of metal tracks running down the middle of it. The entrance to this seems safe.
Oct 25, 2016 4:39 pm
Aelar cautiously follow Nix down into the tunnel, trying to be as quiet as possible.

Rolls

Stealth (Advantage due to boots, also have expertise) - (1d20+10, 1d20+10)

1d20+10 : (5) + 10 = 15

1d20+10 : (6) + 10 = 16

Oct 25, 2016 4:41 pm
OOC:
Wow, those were poor rolls saved by your skill. Lol.
Aelar joins Nix in the tunnel, seeing the same quiet tunnel scene. Phina climbs in next with her armor nearly getting stuck. She frantically pulls and pushes levers to navigate the hulking armor into the nearly created entrance. The feet of the armor land with solid thumps that can be felt through the ground.
Oct 25, 2016 4:59 pm
"Has anyone seen Bill, or Eagin?" Firn asks idly to those still above-ground, poking about through the rubble of train.
Oct 25, 2016 5:01 pm
Aelar feels ashamed for not thinking of his mentor earlier, but shakes off the feeling, "They are both highly resourceful, we have to trust that if they're still alive that they will find us," he says, then stops, "Still, it might not be a bad idea to look for them for a few minutes."
Oct 25, 2016 5:05 pm
Looking around for Eagin you end up finding him in the back-half of the hero car. He is knocked unconscious, and looks a little battered up, but he is alive and still breathing. After searching a few more minutes you can't seem to find Bill anywhere. You are fairly sure he was in the hero car when the train derailed.
Oct 25, 2016 5:35 pm
Aelar gently checks Eagin over and then tries to shake him awake.
Oct 25, 2016 5:45 pm
Eagin wakes almost violently and shouts with rage as he takes a swing at the first thing in front of him (Aelar). He regains his senses quickly looking around him. What the hell happened!?

Rolls

PUNCH vs Aelar (1 Damage) - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Oct 25, 2016 5:51 pm
Aelar barely manages to move his head aside as Eagin lashes out at him. Growling, he answers the question, "Besides trying to punch my in the head, there was an explosion and our ride got pretty much demolished. Looks like we're gonna have to walk from here."
Oct 25, 2016 5:53 pm
Ah, krif, the halfling says. Do we know how far away we are from Salar?, he asks as he stands uneasily and brushes himself off. He looks over the damage done to him, but after a few moment seems surprised with how well he made it out of this.
Oct 27, 2016 6:00 pm
"Do we search for Bill, or press on?" Firn asks those above-ground.
Oct 27, 2016 6:13 pm
"We'll need to travel for two days. I am unsure what we should do regarding Bill. Perhaps his magic allowed him to escape, or teleport in some fashion?"
Oct 27, 2016 9:21 pm
"We need to push on."
Oct 27, 2016 9:22 pm
"I won't believe that Bill was dead unless I see his body. He'll catch up when he can, I'm sure," Aelar says, "I say we move on now."
Oct 29, 2016 6:29 pm
Nix nods and proceeds into the tunnel to scout ahead, her gnomish eyes probing the darkness.
OOC:
Psionic focus on Celerity

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Stealth, gnome advantage - (1d20+6, 1d20+6)

1d20+6 : (16) + 6 = 22

1d20+6 : (4) + 6 = 10

Nov 2, 2016 4:54 pm
Nix is the first to see the spark of a small fire up ahead in the tunnel. You've all been walking for maybe what feels like a mile now. She scouts ahead leaving the rest slightly behind as she gathers some intel. Approaching the fire she sees it sits behind a large pile of boulders that lie across the tracks. Using this cover to get a little closer she almost doesn't notice the other figure in the dark of a man in robes also crouching behind the boulders. It's Bill.

Neither of you manage to make a sound and he points over the boulders to signal you to look. As you peek over you see a small band of kobolds gathered around a fire. One of them is arguing with another.

...I don't care what happened to Gork! Gork was idiot! He say we just kill heroes. He not remember plan! Plan work!, the one says. He has a large red ram skull symbol painted across his dark scales.

The other kobold he was arguing with seems to relent the point, but still looks upset about whatever point it was trying to make.
Nov 2, 2016 5:31 pm
"Right. Let me tell the others." Nix sends telepathically to Bill. She looks back down the tunnel.
OOC:
Is anybody back there within range of Ni'xs telepathy (120ft)?
Nov 2, 2016 5:41 pm
Firn approaches Eagin, and ignoring any signs of pain, roughly grabs him by the shoulder. Firn turns Eagin this way and that as the genasi inspects the injuries. Through the druid's hands, a natural warmth begins to flow into Eagin, soothing away the aches. "You'll live," says Firn, bluntly.

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Nov 2, 2016 5:43 pm
OOC:
Nix can probably reach the other to let them know.
Eagin begins to protest the strange prodding but feeling himself get better he looks at you with a smile, Your bedside manner could use a bit of work, but I appreciate the help.
Nov 2, 2016 5:45 pm
Firn seems completely oblivious to whatever this 'bedside manner' thing is. "What?"
Nov 2, 2016 6:58 pm
Nix sends a telepathic message to Aelar. "Hey, it's Nix. Bill's here with me. We've hidden behind some rocks. Some kobolds up ahead, talking about a plan. Looks like the train wreck was part of it. I'm going to listen some more. Tell the others."

Nix turns to listen to the kobolds some more to see if she can learn anything else about this plan of theirs.
OOC:
How many kobolds are we looking at?
Nov 2, 2016 7:04 pm
At this point two of the kobolds are scrapping with each other. It doesn't seem malicious. More like rowdy behavior.

Enough, the leader says, We need travel back, let him know it's done, stupid heroes is dead. No match for skull clan, the leader says with a toothy grin as he thumps a small clawed fist against his chest.

Just past this group you can see two small carts that sit on the tracks. They have large levers on them that seem like they might propel the carts forward.
OOC:
There are about 7 of these little creatures around the fire, plus the leader makes 8.
Nov 3, 2016 3:38 pm
Aelar relays Nix's information to the rest of the party, "It doesn't seem like there are too many, but they had something to do with the wreck. Nix is gonna look ahead a bit and see what can be found, but be ready for a fight."
Nov 3, 2016 4:27 pm
Firn nods. He fiddles with his belongings, searching for a strip of leather he uses as a sling. Finally, a bullet from a pouch is readied. "Are we sneaking up on them?" he asks.
Nov 3, 2016 4:31 pm
"Let's wait for a bit, Nix said she was going to see what else she could find out," Aelar says.
Nov 3, 2016 6:51 pm
Nix starts implanting a thought into the kobold leader's mind, making him believe that he must explain the plan in detail to his underlings.
OOC:
Quote:
Occluded Mind (2 psi points). As an action, you target a creature that you can see within 120 feet of you. The target must make an Intelligence saving throw (it succeeds automatically if it is immune to being charmed). On a failed save, the target believes one statement of your choice for the next 5 minutes, provided that it understands the statement. The statement can be up to ten words long, and must describe you or a creature or object the target can see. On a successful save, the target is unaffected, and you can’t use this ability on it again until you finish a long rest.
Nov 3, 2016 6:57 pm
The kobold leader, as his crew is starting to pack up, feels a strange tickle in the back of his mind...

Rolls

Int Save vs Nix (DC15) - (1d20-1)

(12) - 1 = 11

Nov 3, 2016 6:58 pm
OOC:
Sorry, forgot to specify: save DC is 14
Nov 3, 2016 7:08 pm
What?!, the leader accuses no one in particular. Who said they no understand plan?!, he says again. His crew look at him oddly but strangely enough begin pointing fingers at each other. Whoever said something, they don't want it to have been them.

This is why me leader. You can't even remember such great plan. This is why he appointed me leader. Me know secret entrance into sewers. Me know how to get into stupid hero hideout. Me know where to get on big metal carriage. They not even notice us. They never notice us. And we use that to advantage, he says, puffing out his chest as he compliments himself.

Me would have been one to blow up carriage if me weren't so valuable to plan. Stupid heroes blow up our black powder at the keep. They not know we have more. They so stupid. Drago was brave soldier, he know how to explode train with powder. Him give life for plan. What any of you done for plan!, he shouts at his crew. They all cower a little at his raised voice.

Nothing. You sit here safe and keep leader company. You lucky I here to protect you. We go now, back to Salar to let him know it done., he adds, hitting one of the underlings over the back of the head. Move this stuff out, now!

He and his underlings go back to work packing up the stuff they have with them onto these two little carts.
OOC:
The basic gist is they found a way to sneak into the train station and had what amounts to dynamite. They snuck on the car and climbed along it to get to the main train car. They blew open the door and a suicide bomber exploded himself and a few other kobolds strapped with dynamite to take down the train. Inadvertently it caused the rock above the tunnel to collapse in and that made a ramp that launched the train out.
Nov 3, 2016 7:16 pm
"That's it! Move in now!" Nix sends to Aelar and the rest before hitting the kobold leader with a burst of psychic energy meant to paralyze it.
OOC:
*bonus action for the telepathic message
*standard action for Psychic Grip
Quote:
Psychic Grip (7 psi pts, Concentration). As an action, you target a creature you can see. The target must make an Intelligence saving throw (DC 14). On a failed save, you overload the creature with psychic energy. The target is paralyzed for 1 minute, but at the end of each of its turns it can make another Intelligence saving throw. On a success, this effect ends.
On a failure, you can use your reaction to force the target to move up to half its speed, despite being paralyzed.
Last edited November 3, 2016 7:17 pm

Rolls

Initiative, I guess? (advantage from Celerity) - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (17) + 3 = 20

1d20+3 : (18) + 3 = 21

Nov 3, 2016 7:20 pm
OOC:
We can skip the initiative roll, I'll do team-based initiative again, and the good guys have a drop on this one for sure. Although the only ones nearby are Nix and Bill, the rest is probably like 60 feet back or so.

Rolls

Int Save vs Nix (DC14) - (1d20-1)

(19) - 1 = 18

Nov 3, 2016 7:23 pm
OOC:
If I move 30 feet ahead, will I be able to see the group of them? And are they packed tightly together?
Nov 3, 2016 7:25 pm
OOC:
Yeah, you probably could see that, and they are within maybe a 20 foot wide space. That's about how wide the tunnel is. I would say they are kind of scattered in a 20' x 20' area.
Nov 3, 2016 7:26 pm
The leader feels a psychic pulse from behind and feels his body urge itself to lock up in paralysis, but he keeps control of himself and calls to the others, There's some left, get them, GET THEM!
Nov 3, 2016 7:30 pm
"Let's move!" Aelar says to the others, rushing toward the sound of the kobolds. Once he sees their group packed together he grins and draws upon his magic, causing a loud noise to originate from the center of the group and blasting them with magical force.
OOC:
Casting Shatter. Should hit most of them in the area with the 10 foot radius! DC 14 con save

2nd-level evocation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (a chip of mica)
Duration: Instantaneous

A sudden loud ringing noise, painfully intense, erupts from a point of your choice within range. Each creature in a 10-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a Constitution saving throw. A creature takes 3d8 thunder damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A creature made of inorganic material such as stone, crystal, or metal has disadvantage on this saving throw.

A nonmagical object that isn’t being worn or carried also takes the damage if it’s in the spell’s area.

Rolls

Shatter! - (3d8)

(811) = 10

Nov 3, 2016 7:35 pm
OOC:
Yeah, 10 foot radius is a 20 foot diameter, so I'm going to say you hit them all. I'm not even going to roll saves because even half damage kills these guys.
The sudden eruption of force from where the kobolds are crushes their small bodies against the side-walls of the cavern. Just like that 7 of them lay dead, only the leader is left crawling along the ground, his body ravaged by the spell. He is slowly crawling towards the metal carts in a very pitiful way. He seems in some sort of shock and oblivious to your approach.

There is a slight rumble as the aftershock of the spell reverberates through the rocks and small pebbles and stones loosed from the top of the tunnel fall lightly on the ground.
Nov 3, 2016 7:36 pm
Firn descends into the tunnel at the signal and advances forward until he is within 60 feet of the kobold bodies. He stretches out his hand, attuning to the moisture in the air, and drawing in the heat from around one of the kobolds the leader to envelop it in a layer of frost.
Last edited November 3, 2016 7:37 pm

Rolls

Frostbite, CON save vs 15 or take damage and have disadvantage on next attack - (2d6)

(15) = 6

Nov 3, 2016 7:38 pm
OOC:
The leader will try and save against it, but he is at disadvantage because of how messed up he is.

Rolls

Save vs Firn (Disadvantage) - (1d20-1, 1d20-1)

1d20-1 : (10) - 1 = 9

1d20-1 : (8) - 1 = 7

Nov 3, 2016 7:39 pm
As the leader tries to slowly crawl away his form is encased from his feet up in a layer of ice. His last breath visibly escapes as a whisp of frost and he is frozen completely solidly.

There are no more kobolds left.
Nov 3, 2016 7:49 pm
Nix steps out of her hiding place, clucking her tongue at her failed psychic attack on the leader. She'd been hoping to interrogate him. Still, she couldn't help but marvel at the team's swift response. She tells them what she heard of the kobolds' plan as she heard it, only adding, "I don't know who it was they kept referring to as 'him'"
Nov 3, 2016 8:10 pm
"Probably Theodore, I would think," Aelar guesses, looking to Bill to see if he shares his theory.
Nov 3, 2016 10:07 pm
"Well done!" Ütés says to Aelar as she slides her blade back into its scabbard, disappointed that she didn't get a chance to put it to proper use.
Nov 3, 2016 10:16 pm
"Thanks!" Aelar says, happy that they were able to end the fight before any of his friends got injured.
Nov 5, 2016 7:43 pm
Nix decides to investigate the kobolds' cars and gear.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Nov 5, 2016 9:41 pm
"Impressive!" I give Aelar a pat on the back. I head towards Bill. "Glad to see that you're well, Bill! We were concerned for your well-being."
Nov 6, 2016 1:55 am
No doubt 'him' refers to Theodore. I had hoped..., he trails off a bit as he responds to Nix's question. As Xadira approaches he comes back from his thoughts.

Ah, yes, my magic has become tricky to funnel without a good instrument in this world. I had actually tried to teleport us all to safety, but instead I ended up on the other side of the collapse on my own. I'm only glad you decided to tunnel in to find me, he says with a smile.
Nov 6, 2016 2:01 am
Nix
Digging through the gear you find two sticks of hand-made dynamite. No doubt these would have been used to get the job done had the initial attack failed.

You also find some crude and well-worn rapiers and scimitars. Nothing of much value. However in a pack around the waist of the leader you are able to crack open the frozen leather pouch there and 8 gold pieces fall out, along with a small emerald.

The carts seem like each could hold a few occupants, and inside there is a small lever that might activate some sort of movement on the cart. No doubt these might slightly hasten your approach to Salar. As you inspect these Phina has been trying to activate some feature on the mechanical armor she has been riding in. Finally she lines the feet up correctly on the tracks and the feet of the armor seem to click into the tracks. She pulls another lever and large lights shine forward down the tracks through the darkness.

You guys, this is gonna be great, check this out!, she shouts and then pulls another lever and the armor starts to pick up some speed, gliding down the tracks. She pulls another lever and the armor screeches to halt.
Nov 6, 2016 9:52 am
"That's so cool!" Nix exclaims, wide eyed, absently stuffing the gold and emerald into her own pouch to marvel at Phina's contraption. "I still think you should give him a name."
Nov 7, 2016 12:02 am
Firn eyes the mechanical monster and decides he's had enough of strange metal contraptions. Those carts, while not the ideal alternative, seem simple enough.
Last edited November 7, 2016 12:02 am
Nov 8, 2016 2:01 pm
"Thanks!" Aelar responds to Xadira's compliment, "Let's get on our way, princes don't like to be kept waiting, or so I've heard."
Nov 8, 2016 2:19 pm
"That is an excellent idea! Are we to transport ourselves in these carts?" I examine the levers in fascination. This is truly outstanding workmanship.
Nov 9, 2016 3:11 am
Not at all interested in learning how to operate any of the machinery Ütés asks "Ummm, can I ride along with someone who knows how to operate one of these contraptions?"
Nov 9, 2016 4:17 am
"I'll drive!" Nix volunteers excitedly as she hops into the lead car and starts playing with the lever(s).
Nov 11, 2016 4:22 pm
Firn seems as hesitant as Ütés, looking over an empty cart like it's going to tell him what to do.
Nov 11, 2016 9:37 pm
Looking over at Firn, Ütés offers, "Some of the others appear to know how to work these things. It would probably be for the best if you joined one of them instead of trying to work it yourself"

She stands with a worried expression as Nix starts playing with levels and cautiously gets into the cart with the curious gnome.

"Ready!" she lies.
Nov 11, 2016 9:38 pm
"Any way I can ride the back of your metal-thing?" Aelar asks Phina, "Looks like it might be a fun ride!"
Nov 11, 2016 10:04 pm
Xadira seems to have figured it out, thinks Firn, stepping over to her cart.
Nov 14, 2016 8:50 pm
How difficult could this be... I get into a cart and pull some levers.

Rolls

Int check? - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

You do not have permission to post in this thread.