Chapter 4 - Salar

load previous
Oct 5, 2016 9:48 pm
Waiting until she's sure that the train has come to a complete stop Ütés crawls out of the broken car and into the sand. "Firn!! Aelar!!" she yells out, trying to determine what happened to the others that were in the car with her.
Oct 5, 2016 10:55 pm
"We seem to be okay," Aelar calls from somewhere to Utes' left, "though I'm not really sure Fire knows what happened. Have you seen Xadira or Nix?"
Oct 5, 2016 11:07 pm
Firn crawls out of the sand at Ütés' feet, shaking his head free of dust and debris. "Oh good, we stopped moving," he complains, with an obvious headache.
Oct 5, 2016 11:20 pm
Still trying to get the lab door open, Nix yells, "Phina!!! Can you hear me?"
Last edited October 5, 2016 11:20 pm
Oct 6, 2016 12:03 am
"I haven't seen either of them" Ütés answers as she watches Firn climb out of the sand. "Do you see any sign of the other compartments?"

Rolls

Perception (signs of the others?) - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Oct 6, 2016 4:06 am
I feel a strange ringing in my ears as I attempt to get my bearings. *Fawkes?!*
Last edited October 6, 2016 4:06 am
Oct 6, 2016 1:26 pm
Nix
As you climb up to the door and attempt to wrench it open the door gives some resistance. After a few tugs the door opens suddenly with a clang. The bright sunlight illuminates the inside of the car slightly. Inside is an utter disaster. Everything is everywhere.

As you try to look about you suddenly hear a sound coming from the rear of the car. A sort of whirring noise accompanied by a rhythmic thumping. It grows louder and more regular and suddenly you hear another noise as something big tears its way out through what was before the roof of the train car. It leaves a large hole that spills more sunlight into the interior of the car.

As you look over to see what emerged you see a strange sort of creature. It's a hulking wood and metal construct. It's abdomen is a large orb-shaped section. It has two large metalic arms connected by some sort of strange series of wires and iron brackets. It stands firmly on two large solid iron feet. At the top of the torso you see wrought iron bars that come up around the top to form a small sort of protective cage, and inside this cage you see the familiar shock of pink hair of Phina. She seems to be piloting whatever this thing is with a series of levers.

On the outside of one of the arms of this construct you see the lancer that she had been given by the Daggers. It looks almost like a large pronged sword attached to the forearm of this thing.

Utes
As you scan the scene you see three distinct areas of wreckage. The first is the engine and soldier car, or what is left of them. The two have been almost completely blown to pieces and are engulfed in flames. To a soldier such as yourself it's clear to see that there are probably not going to be survivors from that.

The second is the portion of the hero car that you were inside. Structurally it's intact, except that it's been split in two.

The third is the other portion of the hero car that is still attached to the lab car. That's on its side, but still intact, save for one large hole that is now in the roof of the car, you also see Phina in this strange monstrosity.

Xadira
Fawkes comes swooping down to rest on your shoulder. He managed to take flight through the opening in the tunnel that was created and avoided the wreck.
Oct 6, 2016 1:33 pm
Nix gapes at the metal construct, then cheers when she realizes the machine is Phina's. "Are you alright, Phina? You had me worried! Whoa that thing is awesome! What dou you call it? How does it work? Wait, we better check on the others!"
Oct 6, 2016 5:01 pm
"Is anyone hurt?" Firn asks, absently. He rubs his temples, slowly regaining his sobriety. "Maybe I should put out those fires?"
Oct 6, 2016 11:22 pm
"I'm afraid it would do little good" Ütés says in a solemn tone.

Turning to try and locate where the lab my have ended up in all of this she lets at a gasp at the sight of a huge mechanical beast. Momentarily stunned she suddenly notices a the familiar pink hair. "It's got Phina!!!!" she yells, drawing her sword and rushing off to engage the creature.
OOC:
Driver? Prisoner? Ütés can't tell the difference.
Last edited October 7, 2016 7:28 pm
Oct 7, 2016 3:44 am
"I'm alright! Is everyone ok?" I stand up, brushing any remaining sand off my beautiful new robes.
Oct 7, 2016 6:54 am
Atop the lab car, Nix looks around and waves at the others. Instead of yelling, she sends telepathically, "Phina and I are okay! Is everyone okay? Utes, what's wrong?"
Last edited October 7, 2016 6:55 am
Oct 7, 2016 2:12 pm
Phina turns to address Nix's many questions, but is distracted as she sees Utes suddenly charging her. Gaaaaahhhhh!, she screams as she frantically pulls levers. The hands of the automaton come up defensively, Utes, no, it's me!, she shouts from inside the iron caged area on top. She pulls move levers and the things starts to slowly back up but stumbles over a large rock in the ground and topples backwards.
Oct 7, 2016 7:33 pm
Hearing Nix's voice in her head Ütés isn't sure what to make of it. A trick!! she thinks and continues her charge, but when she hears Phina yell out she stops in her tracks. She watches as the creatures takes on a defensive stance only to stumble and fall backwards to the ground.

Rushing over to the cage, she kneels in the sand next to Phina to make sure she's alright. "Please forgive me, my friend. I had thought you were in danger."
Oct 8, 2016 9:24 pm
"Anyone missing?" asks Firn, counting heads above ground. "Besides the obvious..."
Oct 10, 2016 1:53 am
Still somewhat disoriented, I reach outwards with my mind to detect any trace of magic in the vicinity, other than what I'm aware already of. I'm unsure what else would have caused this disturbance. I don't even want to consider what toll the destruction of the train has had on the soldiers...
OOC:
Casting Detect Magic
Oct 10, 2016 8:33 am
"The soldiers!"Nix gasps, whirling around to locate the soldier car. "There! Phina, help! Bring that contraption of yours!" Nix sprints for the wreckage of the soldier car, hoping for survivors.
OOC:
Yeah, I know, judging by the GM narration it's probably futile. But Nix hasn't given up hope.
Last edited October 10, 2016 8:36 am
Oct 10, 2016 1:10 pm
Aelar looks back at the soldier car and sighs sadly, knowing in his heart that there are no survivors but knowing they had to try anyway. He heads back that way with Nix to see what they can find.
Oct 10, 2016 1:20 pm
It's okay, Phina says to Utes with a smile. She is about to say more when Nix breaks in. Phina takes a few moments to struggle the machine to it's feet and starts to head to the soldier car with Nix and Aelar.

As they run over Xadira detects the magical nature of that which is around her. She sees the machine Phina is in is glowing in various parts. No doubt it is partly driven by magic as much as machine. She also notices little flecks of magical energy in the sand of the desert around them. She feels it acting like a conduit of magical energy. Something about this desert is a little magical.

As far as the rest of the train there is no traces of magic whatsoever.

As the rest of the team makes it to the scene of the soldier traincar you can now only see the metal ribs of the car that have yet to be melted by the fire. Large holes have been burned through the wood of the soldier car and it's a grim scene of charred bodies inside. It's clear from a look that there is no helping the. All of the soldiers perished in the crash.

Phina, who had a smile on her face a minute ago covers her mouth and gasps. Tears are welling up in her eyes. She chokes back a few sobs. Those...those soldiers...they..., she stands up and kicks open a portion of the metal cage of the machine she is in and jumps down, landing with a thump into the sand and she throws up behind the metal creature.
Oct 10, 2016 3:42 pm
Nix goes to Phina to console her. Looking up at the others, she asks, "What do we do now?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.