Chapter 4 - Salar

load previous
Oct 10, 2016 4:33 pm
"Finish the mission, on foot," croaks Firn, approaching the car aflame. He gathers up a handful of sand, holds it outstretched, and lets the grains slip through his fingers as he whispers words of prayer. The druid performs a quick funerary rite to respect the lost and their sacrifice for the Daggers.
Oct 10, 2016 4:38 pm
"Yes, keep walking on foot... that seems to be our only option at the moment..." I attempt to determine how far we are from our destination.
Last edited October 10, 2016 4:38 pm
Oct 10, 2016 4:39 pm
"That would seem our only choice now... Let's look through this thing and gather what supplies we can take with us," Aelar suggests, a sadness in his voice.
Oct 10, 2016 4:40 pm
Looking around you the desert stretches out in all directions to the horizon. With the featureless white sand everywhere it's hard to even determine direction. The only indicator is the tracks that are in the crater below. By this time in the trip they should have been heading Southeast towards the city of Salar, though it's hard to determine just how far away you were.
OOC:
If you want, Xadira, you could send Fawkes up as a scout and roll a perception.
Oct 10, 2016 4:42 pm
Fawkes takes to the sky, flying in a high circle.

Rolls

Perception w/advantage - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

1d20+2 : (8) + 2 = 10

Oct 10, 2016 4:46 pm
As Fawkes circles you are able to see with his eyes. The accute sense of sight makes out a few small green oasis' that dot the landscape, and in the very far distance a sparkling green gem in the desert. The city of Salar. From this height you could determine it would be about a two-day walk in what appears to be pretty much entirely open desert.

Already the sun is finally starting to set in now that the excitement of the crash has worn down. The sun ceaselessly beats down with a very dry heat.

Phina weakly gets to her feet, using Nix's arm for support. I...didn't think adventuring would...be like this, she says as she stands on shaky legs.
Oct 10, 2016 4:48 pm
"Yeah, it's not quite as glamorous as the stories we tell," Aelar says with a humorless chuckle, then turns to Xadira, "What does Fawkes see?"
Oct 10, 2016 4:59 pm
While the others scout the surroundings via airborne reconnaissance, Firn tries to determine if there are still rail tracks continuing on to their destination. From where he stands, he is unable to tell if the tunnel they were in had collapsed, or if they had already exited the underground passage.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Oct 10, 2016 5:09 pm
Firn
As you examine the crater left from whatever caused this explosion you can see the tracks at the bottom of it, and some of the tunnel that the train came from. It looks like the jagged entrance to a cave sitting at the bottom of this crater.

On the other side the tracks continue into a sloped side to the crater that is made up of rocks and boulders of all sizes. It's maybe 60 feet down to the bottom of the crater. It would seem that the train was supposed to continue underground but this massive explosion basically made a sinkhole that created an improvised sort of ramp that the train rocketed up.

You can see where the tracks should be going, but you would have to dig your way into it. You're not exactly sure how much digging that would entail.
Oct 11, 2016 3:13 am
"It will be 2 days of travel on foot. There are faster ways to get there, but I can't think of any way to get all of us there more quickly. I'm unsure as to the right course of action." I sigh, a miserable expression on my face.
Oct 11, 2016 3:20 am
Firn looks over Phina's metal machine. "Can that construct dig into the tunnel? That's if we want to continue on foot there."
Oct 11, 2016 1:31 pm
Phina looks to Firn, a grim look still etched across her face even as she tries to force a small smile. It should be able to. This is sort of the field test for it, she says, Is that the way we want to go?
Oct 11, 2016 3:53 pm
"I think it's a good idea. Here on the surface we'll be too exposed. I know you can do it!" Nix says, patting the construct encouragingly. "Have you given him a name yet?"
Oct 11, 2016 3:59 pm
"Sounds like a good idea to me!"
Oct 11, 2016 5:12 pm
As Phina prepares to dig into the ground, Firn looks over the wreckage in the off-chance he can spot a clue as to who or what caused the derailment. Hearing the odd noises was too much of a coincidence to take lightly.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Oct 20, 2016 3:47 am
"Let's try that first. I'd like to stay out of the sun if possible. Does anyone have torches?"
Oct 20, 2016 5:17 am
Firn nods to Xadira, pulling several torches from his pack. Each one can be lit with the genasi's Druidcraft.
Oct 25, 2016 1:57 pm
As Phina composes herself and climbs back into her strange armor she works her way over to the pile of rubble. She works to try and move the larger stones that have collapsed on the tunnel. The armor strains and manages to move some of the larger boulders, but it is still slow going. Finally she seems to be struck by an idea.

Alright, stand back everyone, I've never gotten to try this out, she says as the armor takes a braced stance and points the arm with the arcane lancer attached to it forward. She pulls another lever and the lancer starts to glow with a pulsating blue light. It makes a high pitched whine as the glow gains in intensity. Finally a blue electric bolt flies forth from the lancer and with a BOOM it impacts the rocks creating a small explosion of crackling energy.

The air is filled with dust and debris. As it slowly fades and settles you see a large cavity blown in the collapsed rock that leads to the tracks that were once buried. You can now enter and continue along the train tunnel.

Firn
As you hear Phina starting to work on moving the rocks you go to investigate the train. As you approach the train the flames have died down to almost nothing. The main train car looks as though it was blown apart internally. You also notice a familiar scent. Having dealt with pirate ships in the past it's something quite familiar. Black powder. The very same that would be loaded into cannons on ships to fire cannonballs. You've heard tale of people using this same black powder to make explosive devices.

Looking around more you find mostly only charred bodies in the soldier car, and nothing is left of the ratman that was driving this train, but you do find something strange. It looks like the charred leg of a small lizard man. A kobold, probably.

Just then you feel the ground rumble as Phina blows a hole into the tracks below.
Oct 25, 2016 4:26 pm
"Whoa!" says Nix, peering into the tunnel. "I'll go first. Gnomes are good underground!" She hops into the hole and starts creeping along the tunnel.
OOC:
Psionic focus on Celerity

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Stealth, gnome advantage - (1d20+6, 1d20+6)

1d20+6 : (10) + 6 = 16

1d20+6 : (9) + 6 = 15

Oct 25, 2016 4:35 pm
Nix
As you stealthily enter the tunnel it's dark and quiet. You hear a small pebble fall here and there in the shifting rocks as you enter, but once inside the small entry you find yourself looking at the familiar dark tunnel with a set of metal tracks running down the middle of it. The entrance to this seems safe.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.