Welcome Aboard

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 28, 2022 7:43 am
Welcome aboard new players Pedrop and WhtKnt.

We will be using the newest Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing, the 2022 Update edition. From what I understand, this is very similar to the 2e version, the biggest change is that it includes basic rules for things like Spaceships, which 2e was widely criticised for leaving out --requiring another book. There are also changes to the numbers in the tables and requirements, so making characters using 2e has caused slight problems.

Do you have the Traveller 2022 Core Rulebook 2022 Update? There are still a few hours on the Bundle of Holding offer. If not, let me know and we can make a plan to get you what you need to make characters and play the game.

It has been a few months since we set this up, so the existing players --including the GM-- will need to read the rules again as we go through the character creation process (or any process the first time we see it:). This is my first time running (or even looking at) Mongoose Traveller.

I welcome your input and corrections, some of you have more experience than I do, and some of you may have read the rules more recently than I, so often new players spot things that are being 'done wrong' since the rules are fresh in their minds.

I will try to call out where I deviate from the rules so we don't have confusion. At the start I plan to try play by the rules, it is unwise to change rules before seeing how they actually work or what else they might affect.
To keep things tidy and easier to find later, you each have a Character Creation thread in the Setup subforum. Go ahead and peruse the existing characters' threads, but it might be easier to focus on the summaries in the How do you know each other? thread or the Character Sheets.

Questions not directly related to your character's creation can go in General or in Rules clarifications to keep those threads tidy, but don't stress about that.

I run very collaborative games, so please answer each other's questions where you can, don't wait for me. Page number references are useful where applicable so people can check for themselves and see more detail.

Most of what was chatted about in Where are we playing this? has been tweaked and summarised on the Game Details page. I can not remember offhand if there is anything interesting in the What are we playing here? thread, it was mainly intended to decide what we were playing... that seems obvious from the title, now that I write this :).
Nov 28, 2022 10:26 am
Hi! Thanks for adding me. I'm really excited to try "this famous Traveller"! :)
Yes I have recently bought "Traveller 2022 Core Rulebook 2022 Update" by this Bundle of Holding - that you have linked us. Thanks for that. So I'm probably full "equipped" to depart on this journey of ours:)

I'm newbie too in Traveller, so it will be good to learn together! I'm for playing by the rules - as I would like to experience "vanilla Traveller" first.
I will start my character creation today evening( about 9-10h from now - for me) and will try to write everything in proper thread. Thanks again!
Nov 28, 2022 10:39 am
Pedrop says:
... I'm for playing by the rules - as I would like to experience "vanilla Traveller" first. ...
Agreed. I am hopeful that our setting will still count as 'vanilla', I don't envisage anything that does not fit with what the book describes, aside from not having 'alien species'.
Pedrop says:
... I will start my character creation today evening ...
No rush. Take your time and ask any questions that come up.
Pedrop says:
... will try to write everything in proper thread ...
Don't stress about that, it just helps a little bit when we want to find something later, but should not hamper the creative flow.

Feel free to submit a blank Character Sheet whenever you get time, then we can use that to help follow along with what you are doing.

You can use the template TheGenerator made if you want. You can also copy/paste from there into a sheet if you already have one you want to use. I can help with any of that if you want. About the only thing that sheet template really does (aside from consistency) is calculate the Modifiers from the Characteristics so you don't have to look them up, this will be more important and useful during play.
Nov 28, 2022 8:24 pm
Hi Pedrop and WhtKnt! Good to see you both.

This is my first time playing Traveller and I don't have a lot of sci-fi experience either. So I'm curious to see where this goes.
Ppl keep saying that it works really well for a setting like the TV show Firefly, which was a great show. I'd be happy if it went kinda in that direction, but nothing is set in hyper-stone.
Nov 28, 2022 11:28 pm
I'm an old veteran of the Traveller universe, though I'm new to the 2022 edition (which I procured my copy of). I'll help out where I can with the newbies. I have both played and run Mongoose Traveller before, so assuming that there aren't too many differences between editions, I should be able to help with guidance. In fact, I've heard rumors that it was a Traveller campaign that inspired Firefly.
Nov 29, 2022 4:16 am
TheGenerator says:
... a setting like the TV show Firefly, which was a great show ...
Oh, now you suddenly know Firefly?! :)
TheGenerator says:
... happy if it went kinda in that direction ...
I think that would be a good starting assumption in terms how things look and feel. Though we won't have the specific lore from that setting, it was fairly open and generic.

They were in a American-English/Chinese sector, there are probably other cultures and cultural mixes in other regions, and enough time has passed that traditions can have faded or warped. It will be up the the players how much 'modern-world analog' we have.
Nov 29, 2022 4:38 pm
vagueGM says:
TheGenerator says:
... a setting like the TV show Firefly, which was a great show ...
Oh, now you suddenly know Firefly?! :)
Yes, since our last chat I have actually watched it! :D Or most of it at least. I think I still have 1 or 2 episodes to go.

No need to have the same lore as the show. It's more about the atmosphere of it, I guess. Not sure how to explain.
Nov 29, 2022 4:42 pm
TheGenerator says:
... No need to have the same lore as the show. It's more about the atmosphere of it ...
That's what I said. :)
TheGenerator says:
... I think I still have 1 or 2 episodes to go.
There is also a like-10-years-later movie, which might make you sad. :(
Nov 29, 2022 4:48 pm
vagueGM says:
There is also a like-10-years-later movie, which might make you sad.
I've been advised to ignore this movie.
Nov 29, 2022 5:15 pm
TheGenerator says:
Fair enough. I can see that viewpoint, though I am not sure I fully agree. It does depart a bit from the feel of the series and does explain too much background in ways that some might not agree with (always a risk when giving 'answers'), but I did enjoy getting a bit more of the crew.
Dec 2, 2022 8:48 am
Hi Pedrop and WhtKnt.
Looking forward to start this adventure with you! I already enjoyed The character Creation part, so I guess the roleplay itself will be even better.
Dec 2, 2022 8:08 pm
Thank you for the welcome, and it should be a lot of fun!
Dec 5, 2022 6:32 pm
vagueGM says:
TheGenerator says:
Fair enough. I can see that viewpoint, though I am not sure I fully agree. It does depart a bit from the feel of the series and does explain too much background in ways that some might not agree with (always a risk when giving 'answers'), but I did enjoy getting a bit more of the crew.
I have a very similar view on this. It wasn't as thematic and atmospheric as the series, but still it was the Fireflay for me.
I have seen the series and movie quite recently - it was a really interesting experience at my point in life I must say.

Hi Airshark! I will try to end my character creation today, or as far as tomorrow. Also looking forward for our game!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.