OOC Chat

load previous
Dec 16, 2022 6:30 pm
I plan on multi-classing to druid
I haven't played with a 5e monk and want to be clear on their role. It seems to me they are a skirmisher combat variant. Is that about correct?
Dec 16, 2022 6:48 pm
Monks are pretty rad. They can use ki points to do a whole bunch of stuff depending on their chosen order. They are pretty much frontliners
Dec 16, 2022 7:52 pm
Monks are fun, but I wouldn't call them front-liners. Their HD isn't great, and ki points have a unique problem with being too scarce at early levels but by the time you hit 10-12 you generally have more than you need.

They don't put up Big Damage Numbers though.

Their skills are ridiculously versatile though as they gain levels.
Dec 16, 2022 8:02 pm
I agree that they're a bit squishy, especially compared to the more standard ones. But they're not really long range fighters either. They need to be up close to use flurry of blows and stunning strike (although that comes later). I agree that they're difficult in the early levels though.
Dec 16, 2022 8:11 pm
I had a short run with a monk, not enough for a full analysis, but he took human and used his feet to get the bare hands fighting style for extra damage at low levels. It seemed a bit silly that a bar room brawler could do more damage than a trained martial artist.
Dec 16, 2022 8:24 pm
Monk damage die starts low, but they get more attacks and their unarmed attacks aren't strength dependant. A bar room brawler does more damage per attack, but monks get more attacks.

Monks do need to be up close, but they excell at weaving in and out of combat, using a ki point to disengage when they have to. They're versatile, and highly mobile. Assuming you use flanking rules, they easily use their mobility to help others get advantage or proc sneak attacks.

I'm personally partial to Astral Self, but Mercy is generally considered the strongest/best Monk subclass (and is a very unique healer option).
Dec 17, 2022 2:52 am
OK, I have submitted my character Griffin, a human fighter with aspirations of becoming a Battle Master one day.
Dec 17, 2022 5:21 pm
Pierce is submitted.

All the important stuff on the sheet is done, I just have boring old typing to do -- but nothing that would keep him from being useable. Just stuff like typing out the spell descriptions so I don't need to check the book every time I want to cast something.
Dec 17, 2022 7:08 pm
I have a spell sheet you can copy from for spells if needed
Dec 18, 2022 2:47 am
Are non standard CR 0 beasts allowed as familiars? Ex Tressym, Flying Monkey, Cranium Rat, Almiraj
Dec 18, 2022 5:10 am
Yeah, I reckon that’d be alright.
Dec 19, 2022 1:42 am
Submitted Urzog! Ready to rock and roll.
Dec 19, 2022 4:45 am
Awesome. We just need Ryan’s sheet and then we’re good to go
Dec 21, 2022 5:22 am
Just a heads up, I’ve removed the last player as he hasn’t responded to anything since Friday. Normally it will take longer for me to drop a player, however since we haven’t even started yet and the fact that he was a new member with only 2 posts overall to his name, I made a judgment call on this one after giving him fair warning in a PM. I’ll be inviting another player today and then we can hopefully get going.
Dec 21, 2022 5:44 am
That seems fair.
Dec 21, 2022 6:34 am
MaJunior says:
That seems fair.
I agree.
Dec 21, 2022 6:28 pm
The first game thread is up, so we can slowly start with your character introductions. A quick note on XP. Normally you will get it after each module, however the first module actually consists of 5 mini adventures, so for the first one you will get XP after each of those
Dec 22, 2022 8:26 pm
Seriously, is Chitkree going to have to be the backup melee combatant? Little ol me? Sigh
Dec 22, 2022 8:31 pm
Yeah, you’re probably third in line after Griffin and Urzog
Dec 22, 2022 8:32 pm
Psybermagi says:
Seriously, is Chitkree going to have to be the backup melee combatant? Little ol me? Sigh
Maybe. Lol

In my defense, I usually play melee characters or melee-focused gishes. A ranged build or two is a huge departure for me.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.