The Library

Apr 21, 2023 1:03 am
The walls are well over 30 feet high and several hundred feet long. The tops of the wall have odd floating spheres attacked by thin wires floating and bobbing in the breeze. Each wall has a two sets of double doors spaced to divide the wall in thirds. Around the Remnant, you see occasional ruble form destroyed structures Only the Remnant appear to have weathered the ravages of the Breaking and time since then.
Apr 21, 2023 1:08 am
The orbs, floating above the wall, are about 1 foot diameter and bob lazily in the breeze. Each is teathered to the wall by a thin cord. From the north gate you look inside and see an open area around a single large building that is in even better condition than the wall that surround it. The surrounding courtyard is of paved stones set tight without mortar. The building is made of stone with windows on the top of the first floor and filling much of the second floor. On a large plaque over the main doors directly across from you you read Library of Paphos in large bold lettering. The door is of Bronze and like the walls is decorated with mural like etchings and carvings. The area is quiet, clean, and empty.
Apr 21, 2023 1:09 am
As you begin crossing the library plaza that surrounds it you see a chicken sized bird flutter down from a ledge over the door. It squawks and guards at you. That sounded odd. As your get near you notice it's neck is extended and it has a long tail. The feathers do not cover everywhere and rough scaly skin can be seen beneath. (Think feathered dinosaur chicken to turkey size)

you can make a test roll to see if your character recognizes it, or state a guess, roll with advantage, and I will tell you if your are correct or close.
Apr 21, 2023 1:09 am
"What sort of mutated dinner is this" said Baruman, racking his brain to see if he had heard tell of such a creature before.

He remembered sleeping in a doss house back home once, next to an inebriated scholar who had fallen on hard times. He had spoken of the Librasarus, a creature that librarians allowed to share their workplace, as they ate the bugs and worms that could otherwise have made a meal of the ancient texts that they guarded. There was a superstition that the creatures could somehow consume some of the knowledge in the books that surrounded them too. He had thought it the ramblings of a drunken and confused old man, but could such things actually exist?
OOC:
It would seem not :-)
Apr 21, 2023 1:10 am
"Normally I like chicken. For dinner. But this one seems a little odd. Grr", I say.

My index finger scratches my chin, while I look at the creature.
https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/the-cockatrice-ryan-barger.jpg
As it stalks closer Shmautz recals legends of a Cockatrice. Magical creatures whose touch can petrify.

The Cockatrice gives a squak and rushes forwards

Roll 2d6 initiative
"KEEP A DISTANCE and don't let it touch you!", I shout and try to make a giant leap back.
Apr 21, 2023 1:11 am
"I guess this one isn't much of a reader" said Baruman as he heeded schmautz's advice and backed away
Apr 21, 2023 1:16 am
OOC:
Cocatrice initiative - (2d6) (3,2) = 5
Shmautz Initiative - (2d6) (2,4) = 6
Baruman: initiative - (2d6) (1,1) = 2
@tergolap You can go ahead and have Shmautz go as can @seanfsmith if Elph rolls 5 or higher on initiative.
Apr 21, 2023 5:50 pm
I'm surprised and don't know how to handle that sort of thing without touching it.
OOC:
first action:
I call my Cougar Totem to help us. It's mountain lion totem trait should sneak up the enemy.
Apr 21, 2023 5:57 pm
tergolap says:
I'm surprised and don't know how to handle that sort of thing without touching it.
OOC:
got a stick?
tergolap says:
OOC:
first action:
I call my Cougar Totem to help us. It's mountain lion totem trait should sneak up the enemy.
OOC:
next time you can roll 2 attacks for the totem
The spirit cast leaps at the cocatrice roaring

Rolls

Totem attack - (2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (65) = 11

2d6 : (54) = 9

Apr 21, 2023 5:59 pm
The cocatrice gets severely mauled by the cougar. With a squak it bites and scratches at the big cat.

Rolls

Cocatrice attacks - (2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (44) = 8

2d6 : (26) = 8

Totem save - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Apr 21, 2023 6:02 pm
The claws scratch the cats for drawing blood. But then quickly stops flowing and the cat meows pitifully as it crutches back, slowly turning grey and settling into stone.
cocatrice is severely wounded and the totem is petrified
Baruman and Elph can go.
Apr 24, 2023 9:29 pm
Elph takes a moment to focus then attacks the cockatrice with his bow

Rolls

Elph: Check DC: 4 - Basic - (2d6)

(43) = 7

Apr 24, 2023 9:45 pm
The arrow thuds into the cocatrice which stagers but it's still barely alive.
Apr 25, 2023 1:18 am
OOC:
@wilsric Baruman is up
Apr 26, 2023 3:50 pm
Horrified at what has happened to the cougar, Baruman warily steps around to the side of the strange beast, He focuses his aim at the creatures heart and throws his dagger with all his might!

"Take that you feathered beast!"

Rolls

Baruman: Test DC: 4 - Basic - (2d6)

(62) = 8

Apr 26, 2023 3:51 pm
[ +- ] Duende Agility

Rolls

Baruman: Test DC: 4 - Dis - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Apr 26, 2023 5:32 pm
The dagger takes the creatures life. As the monster falls the statue of the cougar totem crib's into dust. Shmautz feels his totem must rest a day before being summoning it again to allow it to recover.

Monsters like this are rare and much of their bodies can be used in magic rituals and are valuable to the right market.
Apr 26, 2023 5:32 pm
Looking around you see a few other mounts of rubble and dust indicating that the cocatrice has defeated others before you.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.