Character Creation

May 27, 2023 2:36 pm
OOC:
this thread is for character creation ideas, discussion, questions and guidelines.
Character Creation Guidelines

You can play as a planar, as a prime, or as a plane-touched. All primes should begin the game as clueless, meaning you have been on the planes for a very brief time and are not in on the cant or the awareness of planar characters. You cannot play as a petitioner except the bizarre edge case of the Rogue Modrons.
[ +- ] Races
[ +- ] classes and options
[ +- ] Factions
Attributes standard point buy

Starting gear 200 gold in place of standard, class feature equipment granted (spellbook and like)
[ +- ] Relationships
We will use this as our Planescape races and Factions benefits baseline:
From EnWorld

And there WILL be an equivalent alternate chart for Aasimar like the one presented here for Tiefling.

Home Plane for Primes this is your Prime World (Toril, Oerth, Ravnica); Planars should just an inner, outer, or transitory planes. Rogue Modrons are from Mechanus.

Finally And Most Importantly you will need to establish why you are in the area of the Shattered Temple on the day of the campaign start.
[ +- ] So You Want to Join the Revolution?
[ +- ] Factions at a Glance
May 28, 2023 10:07 pm
If there's anything I've missed that you need to make a character ask so I can fill it in.

If you glance around the forum you will notice some of how I'm organizing it- bear with me on getting everything into place.

If you're interested in a specific sect I haven't listed ask- I haven't gotten to going through all of those yet.
May 29, 2023 12:16 am
Assuming we start at level 1?
May 29, 2023 12:20 am
Yes level 1- get the most planescape in that way.
May 29, 2023 12:39 am
Anyone interested in doing an all rogue group? Or an "all" something group. Homogenous but complentary... a shadow monk ninja clan maybe?
Last edited May 29, 2023 12:57 am
May 29, 2023 1:21 am
Go Astral Self. Be the Uchiha clan. Lol
May 29, 2023 1:56 am
"Astral" Self does seem to be a good fit for planar campaign
May 29, 2023 2:09 am
I'll be going bladesinger if this is long term. I've always wanted to play one, but I'm a forever dm lol. I'll be using the custom lineage from TcoE.
May 29, 2023 2:14 am
Basil says:
Anyone interested in doing an all rogue group? Or an "all" something group. Homogenous but complentary... a shadow monk ninja clan maybe?
I'm down for all rogue. But also, there's all same race or all same faction!
May 29, 2023 2:29 am
Bookrat says:
Basil says:
I'm down for all rogue. But also, there's all same race or all same faction!
I'm game!
May 29, 2023 2:39 am
I'm a little confused about the relationships, also I've never been in a planescape game. I have my character built aside from that and fleshing out the background.

For context I'm a "halfling" bladesinger (eventually). I'm also up for being from the same faction or some such thing.
Last edited May 29, 2023 2:40 am
May 29, 2023 2:42 am
So many ideas, but... I'm not sure what to settle on.

I sort of want to run a Monk/Bladesinger Wizard... but I have to save that for a game where I can roll stats, because I feel like it's too MAD for a standard array or point buy game...

Barbarian/Rogue is an option.

Or Ranger/Rogue.

Grappler?

Coffeelock could be fun.

Oohh... are guns an option? Artificer maybe.
May 29, 2023 2:49 am
@majunior- guns are an option for a Prime, but keep in mind that they don't exist I. Planescape proper so you'll find no support for them in treasure or shops.

@SchadDad- the relationships thing is new to this game as I'm stealing it from 13th Age. Basically choose two powerful groups or entities one that you have a good relationship with (they like you or are allowed with you for some reason) and one that is bad (an enemy of sorts)- it could be a faction (gave the Guvners the bob and they are hunting you) or a god (for some reason Loki is amused by you), or something else (you grew up in Hell and have worked for the Pit Fiend Bal often enough that he trusts you).

It's really open ended and can go whatever direction you want it to.
May 29, 2023 3:00 am
Reneissance Era firearms as listed in the DMG?

I mean, unless you'll go for modern era ones. Lol

Stupid question: Is the 200 gp in addition to starting gear as determined by class and background, or in lieu of it?
Last edited May 29, 2023 3:04 am
May 29, 2023 3:45 am
In place of he standard gear- obviously wizards get their spell book for free or other things that are class abilities.
May 29, 2023 4:47 am
Alordis says:
@majunior- guns are an option for a Prime, but keep in mind that they don't exist I. Planescape proper so you'll find no support for them in treasure or shops.
Doesn't one of the planes have like every weapon of war imaginable? Acheron, I think. Been years since I read up on them.
May 29, 2023 6:48 am
Quinfire Shadowberry is born. I'll move it to GP later and finish up background stuff.
Last edited May 29, 2023 6:48 am
May 29, 2023 10:38 am
I'm thinking of playing a Rogue Modron. No idea on class yet. But playing from the Modron's alien perspective should be fun.
May 29, 2023 11:59 am
I forgot- everyone will need to designate their home plane - for Primes this is your prime world (for instance Toril or Oerth), for Rogue Modrons it's obviously Mechanus, for other planars you can choose any of the inner or outer or transitory planes.
May 29, 2023 2:08 pm
Question:
How do you handle the scribing of spells for a wizard?

1) Just burn the gold as gold pieces and assume you can buy the materials for it somewhere (during downtime when in Sigil)? (much as written)
2) Or go on a long material hunt to get the exact right ink? (kinda makes sense, but in a play by voice game I am playing the DM is screwing over the wizard a lot with not being able to find the right ink to write).
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.