1.3 - The Wyr River: Deeper Darkness

load previous
Feb 20, 2015 6:11 pm
(Ooc: I can use a different dice roller. No d20's on hand.

And I won't cheat ;-)

http://www.brockjones.com/dieroller/dice.htm seems decent)

Vult will spend a level of effort concentrating on the light pattern, and got a 14
Feb 20, 2015 7:37 pm
Utazó, seeing that the beast appears to have calmed a bit, lowers her sword and moves slowly off to creature's right. It may be acting calm, but I'm not letting go of this sword until it's gone.
Last edited February 20, 2015 7:37 pm
Feb 20, 2015 7:57 pm
Khoren also waits to see what the beast will do. His cloak is wrapped around him, and both punch daggers are drawn, but concealed beneath the cloak. He neither speaks nor moves nor makes direct eye contact, unsure of what might provoke the creature.
Feb 21, 2015 12:16 am
"I think it's trying to communicate with those lights." Vult states, intrigued.

"I might be able to communicate with it if I can jury rig a light source. Korean, can I have that light source?" Vult asks as he kneels, slowly, to gather some tools.

"Also, Darazen, can you let it know we're trying to communicate and ask for more details about it's light language?"

(OOC: Vult will attempt to decipher the creative's language, using a level of effort, possibly modified by what Darazen does. 1d20 roll of a 9)

(OOC: Vult will attempt to rig up a blinking light, assuming Korean gives him the glow rod 1d20 roll of a 16)

(OOC: Vult will attempt communicate with the creature, spending a level of effort, possibly with an asset, depending on Korean's actions and the success of the second action. 1d20 roll of a 4)
Feb 21, 2015 6:41 am
Darazen looks on with curiosity as Vult starts to rig something up to communicate with the creature. Having only met the masked wonder a few minutes ago he really doesn't know what to make of him, and has had little opportunity to find out. Certainly the creature seemed startled by Vult, and Darazen really expected the stranger to heed his warning.

Darazen's insight into the creature did identify it's plant based and it communicates with others of its kind with lights. Maybe Vult realized that too. But really, that's not a skill we are going to learn in a couple of minutes, unless Vult knows what he's doing. Well, he doesn't, because he's asking for my help.

Concerned that the creature will be spooked by Vult's behavior, Darazen continues to try to communicate telepathically. ***Don't worry about Vult, he's harmless. He wants to talk to you using lights. What can we do to help you?***
Last edited February 21, 2015 6:44 am
Feb 21, 2015 4:21 pm
ooc: "I am Graat. No, not Groot... we don't have license for that".

Vult attempts to rig up something and talk back to this creature, while Darazen let's it know your party means it no harm. It is not moving, in an aggressive manner, but it's stance is still very defensive.

"Why do you hide?" Why not show yourselves?, it asks of Darazen. It asks the same of Vult, but Vult is focused on making his machine. "I...I...I just want to see the blue sky again. I... We only live underground as infants. I need to see the sun again."

Vult finishes his machine. He lights it up and attempts to signal the creature. He uses several quick bursts of light.

The creature pauses a moment, then shudders and shakes. Its limbs come down and it seems to be more relaxed. It flashes back at Vult, much slower this time and speaks to Darazen at the same time. "I am impressed, most humans cannot figure out our language so quickly. Not that you did completely, but I got the meaning, I think. Though I am not sure I know what you meant by 'elderberry pie'. Still, if you are willing to show yourselves and let me pass, I will do you no harm as well. Besides, I am not sure how much fight I have left in me." It turns a bit and exposes a very large gash near its back. It is still wet with sap.
Feb 21, 2015 4:55 pm
Khoren watches the plant beast for a bit, and his eyes drift to the broken mudmen. His eyes widen suddenly, and he edges slowly edges toward Darazen. "Are you sure you want to be covered in mud?" he asks in a whisper. "Would you like me to ask the numenera to remove it from you?"
If Darazen agrees, Khoren will use hedge magic to clean the mud from Darazen.
Feb 21, 2015 5:07 pm
Qralloq says:
Khoren watches the plant beast for a bit, and his eyes drift to the broken mudmen. His eyes widen suddenly, and he edges slowly edges toward Darazen. "Are you sure you want to be covered in mud?" he asks in a whisper. "Would you like me to ask the numenera to remove it from you?"
If Darazen agrees, Khoren will use hedge magic to clean the mud from Darazen.
ooc: Darnit! :)
Feb 21, 2015 5:53 pm
Darazen responds to Khoren gratefully. ***Yes please!***

Accepting Khoren's assistance he steps from the shadows and responds to the creature. ***Hello, my name is Darazen. We can show you the way to the surface.***
Last edited February 21, 2015 5:56 pm
Feb 21, 2015 6:41 pm
Vult continues a few series of flashes, eventually communicating crudely with the creature. "I think I'm making progress." He says thoughtfully, trying a more meaningful sequence:

Hello, I am Vult. How are you? Can we help you?

(OOC: let me know if Vult needs to test intellect)
Feb 21, 2015 7:24 pm
The rest of the party sees this creature stop moving, stand up straight and, as best as you all can tell, relax its stance. The eye stalk looks over those who have revealed themselves and it offers a slight bow (pun intended).

Its focus turns towards Darazen and he sees a piece of mud drop off. "You missed a spot." he tells Darazen in his mind while pointing to the mud glob. "I was a bit worried, but I understand now, I think. This creature, Vult... he is not like you. But, he explained your deception was meant for these others... " as he bats at one of the bodies. "So, you would lead me to the surface, to safety? I have nothing to offer you, except my gratitude. I don't suppose any one in your party knows anything about healing." It shudders a bit and looks to droop.

He turns to look at Vult. "You, my strange man..." he flashes ... I must say, you adapt well. My name is Birtwood. I am sorry to hear about your trouble with these...things. They killed my companions, but kept me. I don't know why, they kept talking about my Numenera, I don't have any.... and I am certainly not like you. I would not know what to do with Numenera anyway... it is not 'natural'.

Rolls

Testing the dice roller that is back. (Shins around the room when you search) - (2D20)

(149) = 23

Feb 21, 2015 7:39 pm
XP earned:
Yui and Darazen: 1 xp each (for making such an effort to cross that first beam)
Khoren: 1 XP for taking the lead, scouting ahead and facing danger
Tara : 1 XP for figuring out that not all traps are real (though I should give it to the Mudman, he broke them)
Darazen : 2 XP (for reaching out to this creature, a GOLTHIAR, and calming it down)
Vult : 2 XP for discovering its way of communication.

I think I will give everyone else in this party 1 more additional XP for having to put up with the site's issues. Thanks for your patience. It is not my site, and I am grateful for Keleth's fast response. I know he was embarassed. I also know this party is one of the most active games on the site right now. Thanks for sticking with it and making this game fun.
Feb 21, 2015 7:46 pm
grandmaster says:
I think I will give everyone else in this party 1 more additional XP for having to put up with the site's issues. Thanks for your patience. It is not my site, and I am grateful for Keleth's fast response. I know he was embarassed. I also know this party is one of the most active games on the site right now. Thanks for sticking with it and making this game fun.
ooc: Thank you, too. I think we are all pleased with the pace that you have been able to maintain. I check the site often for updates, and look forward to reading each post. And Keleth is amazing.
Feb 21, 2015 8:04 pm
I haven't played in many play by post games, but I've gotten the impression that most aren't as good as this one :-)
Feb 21, 2015 8:13 pm
grandmaster says:
He turns to look at Vult. "You, my strange man..." he flashes ... I must say, you adapt well. My name is Birtwood. I am sorry to hear about your trouble with these...things. They killed my companions, but kept me. I don't know why, they kept talking about my Numenera, I don't have any.... and I am certainly not like you. I would not know what to do with Numenera anyway... it is not 'natural'.
Vult's voice sounds excited, "I think we've got it! Birtwood -- that's it's name -- says he was captured by the mudmen and brought down here. It seems they're collecting Numenera, which is why they spared me."

He lights up a reply: I was dragged down here by those creatures too. We call them 'mudmen'. The Numenera are ancient machines, poorly understood by most and generally quite powerful. That's why the mudmen spared me too.

Are you hurt?
Feb 21, 2015 8:21 pm
Objulen says:
grandmaster says:
Vult's voice sounds excited, "I think we've got it! Birtwood -- that's it's name -- says he was captured by the mudmen and brought down here. It seems they're collecting Numenera, which is why they spared me."

He lights up a reply: I was dragged down here by those creatures too. We call them 'mudmen'. The Numenera are ancient machines, poorly understood by most and generally quite powerful. That's why the mudmen spared me too.

Are you hurt?
Birtwood responds: Yes, and I am afraid I am losing my life fluid. When in the pod, our mates can usually help, but I am alone down here. The light of the sun also helps me grow strong.
Last edited February 21, 2015 8:21 pm
Feb 21, 2015 8:26 pm
grandmaster says:
Birtwood responds: Yes, and I am afraid I am losing my life fluid. When in the pod, our mates can usually help, but I am alone down here. The light of the sun also helps me grow strong.
Vult's voice sounds concerned, "Birtwood says he's bleeding badly, and could use some sun. Is anyone decent at first aid?"

Vult blinks back a reply, I'm not much of a healer, but I'm seeing if any of the other's with me are.

"Or, botany?" Vult says, a bit perplexed
Last edited February 21, 2015 8:32 pm
Feb 21, 2015 8:55 pm
grandmaster says:
XP earned:
Yui and Darazen: 1 xp each (for making such an effort to cross that first beam)
Khoren: 1 XP for taking the lead, scouting ahead and facing danger
Tara : 1 XP for figuring out that not all traps are real (though I should give it to the Mudman, he broke them)
Darazen : 2 XP (for reaching out to this creature, a GOLTHIAR, and calming it down)
Vult : 2 XP for discovering its way of communication.
Utazó is suddenly overcome by a feeling of sadness. She's not sure why...

:-)
Last edited February 21, 2015 8:56 pm
Feb 21, 2015 8:55 pm
Yui stands up straight and, not really knowing how to communicate with Birtwood, does her best and flashes him a kind smile. It's okay, we're here to help. You have nothing to fear. Yui turns to Darazen and Vult. "Maybe one of you can ask him about that frame? Something about it creeps me out." Yui visually examines the frame as she asks.

(OOC: Thanks to all. I appreciate Keleth's efforts and its nice seeing our game being so popular on GP (500 posts! :)
Last edited February 21, 2015 8:56 pm

Rolls

Examine synth frame - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Feb 21, 2015 9:24 pm
Kaizival says:
Yui turns to Darazen and Vult. "Maybe one of you can ask him about that frame? Something about it creeps me out." Yui visually examines the frame as she asks.
"Sure." Vult responds. "I think he," he pauses, "or she? Anyway, he or she will probably be chattier if anyone can provide some kind of healing or a way topside. Even a shaft to the sky would be welcome at this point, I'd imagine."

Vult looks around at the others, waiting to see if anyone replies.
load next

Thread locked