What games would you love to run on here?

load previous
Jun 15, 2023 12:01 am
Qralloq says:
IIRC, the main difference is that in oWoD the target number is variable and generally 6. In nWoD it's fixed at 8. Botch mechanics are different accordingly, as are other related things like the bonus dice from spending Willpower.
We were debating the changes between NWoD and CoD. (OWoD preceded NWoD and was resumed after CoD concluded.)

CoD (Chronicles of Darkness) was essentially NWoD 2nd Edition. There were changes and revisions, I'm just not entirely sure what they were.
Jun 15, 2023 12:39 am
vagueGM says:
There are plenty of people who would happily help if you find any questions while learning how to do it. Same for after you start your game, that is still a time of learning and if you reach out, many of us will be more than happy to help as you need.
Thanks VagueGM! That's good to know. :)

Ok, excuse me for getting... mushy, while I've been here a couple of months now, I still can't get over how welcoming this place has been. It's just so refreshing. :)
witchdoctor says:
The perfectionist in me puts me square in the same situation as DED. With so many great GMs around, it can feel a bit daunting to roll out what seems like an inferior game experience due to lack of coding skills.
Yes! I've coded my share of HTML, but this still has a pool of syntax that I have to dive in to and familiarize myself with.

But it's also about the gameplay experience. I've joined a few games as a player to observe the GMs and get a feel for how it's done here. I've been a perma-GM for decades, but it's been PBeM since F2F ended, so while I have a firm grasp on how that's done, the interface, not to mention the expectations of players, is different.
Jun 15, 2023 1:40 am
No coding ability is needed to run games. Just like in a face to face game, it is about the creativity not about the technical acumen or tools. Most games can get away with (and may be better for) just typing text with no use of anything 'fancy'. The bar above the text area where we type should be enough for any game.
Jun 15, 2023 3:55 am
Qralloq says:
One week only, a Brinkwood Deal just dropped at Bundle of Holding.
bowlofspinach says:
Brinkwood and Brindlewood in one post. Way too confusing. Unless you combine them... 🤔
So I also got them confused haha. When I wrote Brinkwood I was thinking of Brindlewood Bay, then when I got saw Brindlewood I was like "oh Brinkwood is different, but I'm too lazy to edit my post" haha. So I do own Brinkwood and just forgot, no idea how or when I got it lol. But thanks for the heads up!
Jun 16, 2023 8:24 am
Ledosero says:
Either Monster of the Week or Savage World / Monster Hunter Club

And I have a D&D campaign world in mind which still needs a lot of work.

I am afraid of the time it takes to actual run things :)
@Ledosero
we ran 3 short adventures plus a mega campaign of Monster Hunters Club for well over a year, here on GPlane. Huge fun.

At some point I want to carry on, will give you a buzz when we do.
You can take a peek at its 24 chapters here
Jun 16, 2023 8:35 am
It was great fun. And I still maintain that "MegaOctagon!" is one of the best thread titles ever, fitting for that campaign's grand finale.
Jun 16, 2023 9:34 am
@Dr_B
Oh! Interesting. If you ever plan to run it again, I am certainly interested.
Last edited June 16, 2023 9:34 am
Jun 16, 2023 9:36 am
Will definitely ping you, @Ledosero

@bowlofspinach was one of the awesome players who stuck with it since day one!
Last edited June 16, 2023 9:36 am
Jun 16, 2023 4:27 pm
Furmyr says:
I would love to run a Torg Eternity game if I could find a suitable way to deal with the cards mechanic.
As someone else who would love to run, but would love more to play a Torg Eternity game, there's always the Card Deck script. :)

Even as a test I've been tempted to set up the Drama and Destiny decks as scripts...
Jul 8, 2023 8:11 pm
I actually already run most of what I want to run, and the remainder is in the wings. My one regret is that my Savage Worlds fantasy campaign died before it had a chance to take off. I also enjoyed the Savage Worlds Pinebox Middle School campaign that I ran which recently folded. That was a lot of fun!
Jul 9, 2023 1:03 am
I’d love to run a Degenesis, Coriolis, or Symbaroum campaign but DMing has always intimidated me so I doubt it’ll ever happen lol. Still, super fun systems I hope to explore more of one day.
Jul 9, 2023 3:00 am
Eventually I'm going to run another Pathfinder or DND campaign set in my home campaign setting, and I have both a bleak post apocalyptic military game and a sleek space opera with psions and a religious with magic empire game in my Core 8 system that I want to kick the tires on, but I'm ages away from doing any of those since I have a pretty full slate.
Jul 9, 2023 6:54 pm
I've been running a Cyberpunk Red game of my own creation but now that Tales of the Red is out I've been thinking about running that on the side.

I've always wanted to run a Shadowrun Anarchy game on here as I feel like the system would lend well to PbP.

I also recently got introduced to Highcaster/Dungeoncaster at a con and I love the "yes and" system of story development, seems like it would work marvelously on post.
Jul 12, 2023 4:40 pm
Count me in if you ever sit down to Shadowrun Anarchy! But better yet I would like to try Shadowrun 3rd edition some day. Or maybe GM it's QuickStart rules... but first have to read it carefully :)
Aug 19, 2023 4:01 pm
I'd love to run my Fall of Plaguestone game in PF2e, but I think it'd be a bit much for play by post, and till some of the games I'm in wind down, I'm not wanting to stretch myself thin.
Aug 19, 2023 5:18 pm
The new Marvel Multiversal RPG.

Just found it like a week ago and started reading through it. The old FASERIP system is my first real RPG, so I'm super biased about Marvel systems, but I have to admit I like a lot of what I see so far.

That said... I think the system would lend itself far better to PbP than the FASERIP system ever could, so that's one tick in its favor.
Aug 19, 2023 6:08 pm
I’ve considered running Fading Suns over pbp. I tried to do it on another site, but there wasn’t enough interest. Most of the visitors to that site were more interested in D&D. But people on GP seem to enjoy a larger variety of games, so maybe I’ll try again in the future.
Last edited August 19, 2023 6:15 pm
Aug 19, 2023 7:10 pm
Two games I'd love to run when I get free time sometime:

Star Trek Adventures: Captain's Log -- Billed as a Solo play game, it also supports coop and traditional GM'd games. The mechanics are much more slimmed down and great for fast resolution of tasks and combat, making it an ideal game for PbP.

Firefly the TV Series (QuestWorlds) -- Playing original characters, post-Serenity movie era. I'd probably use QuestWorlds (free SRD, used to be called Heroquest and before that Hero Wars). Again, fast combat resolution and I love the free-form character generation where you can build any character you can imagine.
Aug 19, 2023 7:24 pm
This thread seemed to have tended towards 'what would you want to run here but can't really', which, on rereading the OP, is not what was asked. It now looks like it is 'back on track'. :)
A few games that have I have thought (or been asked) about recently are:

Last Fleet: (PbtA) Basically Battlestar Galactica with the serial numbers filed off. I wouldn't mind being a player in this one too.

Blackout: A Game of Civil Defence: (PbtA) You play as --mostly female-- auxiliaries involved in Civil Defence (dealing with anything from food shortages to bombed buildings) during the London Blitz, WWII.

Night Witches: (PbtA) You play as members of the legendary --and also real-- all woman 588th Night Bomber Regiment, playing out their path through WWII.

Both Blackout and Night Witches have a slightly uncomfortable tinge due to the current action in Ukraine, so I am less inclined towards running them right now.
I think I am in the mood for some Urban Fantasy, and might offer to run a game. I don't know the tone or shape of it yet --that will be up to the player-group as it is formed-- think something along the lines of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural, The Dresden Files, Rivers of London, Werewolf by Night, The Magicians, and so on.

System-wise I am thinking of a variety:

Probably lead by Monster of the Week (PbtA) as I like its Playbooks ('classes' or 'professions' from other popular games), and think it has a great Magic System. Possibly including elements from Tome of Mysteries and/or Codex of Worlds.

I am hesitant to start Urban Shadows (PbtA) right now, as I am waiting for the second edition to reach a playable state.

I can't say I was all that enthused by Rivers of London (BPR) from what I read, and it seems a bit limiting.

If people want to play Dresden Files I might consider using the official Dresden Files Accelerated (Fate) game, though I have always found that to have great Character Creation and then fall flat during play. :( I though a fair bit about Dresden Files while reading Cortex Prime (Cortex), but I don't think I will go that route here. A strong setting like Dresden is ideally situated for FKR (Freeform) if everyone has read the books and is on the same page as to 'what works in-world', but FKR has problems with 'strangers', so I would need a lot of convincing to do it here with a Pick-Up-Group.

Nahual (PbtA) looks really interesting from what I saw during the kickstarter, but I don't own it and have not seen the final product. I could be convinced to pick it up (if it is available for more than just pre-order).

Brindlewood Bay (PbtA) looks intriguing, but I only have the 'first edition'. I am also not very familiar with the subject material. Someone would have to buy it for me for me to really consider it.

City of Mist (PbtA) has some fun elements, but they work much better in a more interactive --and preferably physical-- medium, the cards and sheets are a big part of the appeal. I could be persuaded, though.

Apocalypse World (PbtA... or 'the original A that Ps the others':) is still my go-to, and it can do pretty good 'Urban Fantasy' as well. It is always on the cards with me. :)

There are some other systems that I have thought about during this writeup, but it is getting long and they are more 'things I might think about looking into'. (Pigsmoke, Liminal, Turn, Sunset Kills, Kult, ...)
Aug 19, 2023 10:00 pm
Dreamweaver says:

Firefly the TV Series (QuestWorlds) -- Playing original characters, post-Serenity movie era. I'd probably use QuestWorlds (free SRD, used to be called Heroquest and before that Hero Wars). Again, fast combat resolution and I love the free-form character generation where you can build any character you can imagine.
Oh man, I hope you actually do run this! Firefly is such a great IP and has always been one of my (and everyone else's probably) favorite shows.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.