Heist the Colours 2: Now in Space (RP)

load previous
Jul 25, 2023 10:44 am
Lio watches everyone suit up, trying to help where possible but it is clear that the team is picking up on him stalling.

'' Errrr,... Maybe I should have told this a little earlier but errrr... I'm not very comfortable in a vac suit. Being in one gives me a confined feeling. It's not that I can't,... But if there is a way, I'd rather not. ''
Lio scratches his head, what an awful explanation. Hopefully they won't be mad at him.

The first time he was in a suit, he started vomiting quite heavily in the hood/helmet, which made him vomit even more. Then a few cadets started and not much later class was cancelled.

Later on he got it under control, with meds and willpower. But it surely is not a thing he enjoys.
Jul 25, 2023 7:36 pm
"So it's not that big of a ship, right?" Ronny asks the others. "Should be pretty easy to find what we need."

On comms he ask Lio "Lio, can you load the airlock with gear while we're in the ship?" After waiting for the door to open, he steps out behind the others, turns his flashlight on and has a look around. Coming to the first door, he looks for the way to open it manually. "Usually there's some kind of lever to open these if the power is out."
Jul 26, 2023 12:02 am
"This feeling. Once again. You make a step... leaving the grave plates... and suddenly you are... lighter... and lighter... and then: your weight simply... vanishes. But you are not flying. No... it's something different. You are suspended in the thin... no... it doesn't even feel like being in the air. It feels as you are... well... just suspended. If you stop moving and you are alone... you can stop to feel anything... and just exist in the very middle of the universe. A feeling of greatest freedom and... greatest fear... and those thing usually likes to come together." - Raf thought to himself while he was making first "steps" in their new ship.
OOC:
I wonder if any of you have read "Tales of Pirx the Pilot" - a science fiction stories collection by Polish author Stanisław Lem, about a spaceship pilot named Pirx. There were described "exercises" for new space pilots when they were put in the state that all their nervous system's receptors don't get any new signals. And I'm trying to refer to it here... the feeling of not feeling anything... :)

If you don't know the author (Lem) and like hard sci-fi... he is simple a genius. Even this one book shows in how many styles he can write! The best book I have ever read. Not easy but best.
It was silent. A sleep. But waiting. He was sure. This big chunk of metal... that will become their new home for months or rather even years... was waiting for them. Waiting to be awaken. To the new life for itself and to new life for it's new owners... or should we say passengers... fellow spirits... or just simple clamps of billions of biological cells that dare to think they can make any difference in countless currents of matter and will that mix and collides in the whole universe? Constantly. For billions of year already. And for billions of years in the future... But there he was... in this particular second. And this particular place... and it was the only thing that mattered to him.

The mess deck. Now dark and silent. Not as he imagined it. With their loud conversations when they will make plans. And crazy parties when there will be time to celebrate. Dark and silent. But there is a table. So they will find some chairs for it too. And that's a good the beginning. Good foundation. For great plans, and even greater laughs...

"But first... let's get rid of this darkness." - Raf says to his friend behind him as they would be able to hear his thoughts or feel what he is feeling now.

"All aboard!" - Raf yells as if he would be some king of train conductor of ancient times, cutting the silence that were present for much too long.

"Please." - he adds much quieter - "I checked. There are no nasty aliens that will bite someone's head off. But I found one table to cover. And many lamps to light. And even more work to do!" - his deep meditation of the "way universe works" changing back to his usual enthusiasm more and more with each sentence.

Seeing Ronny NOT celebrating the moment at ALL... Raf's frowns at him for a moment... but then smiles again:
"Oh... Ronny... now that we are in space we will have to teach you how to not always be so... down to earth... you know? But you are right. First thing first. Yes, it should be at the right. Let me hold the flashlight for you." - knowing the deck plan by hard for a few months already Raf knows that those are good door leading straight to vast cargo by.

"How are you feeling Abby? Does it feel good not to worry about ones weight anymore? Not that you look like someone that ever had too - of course:)"

Through the comms:
"So Lio... did you thought about proper name for our new home? Space- boat? Yacht? That we were dreaming about when we made our plan to work at the space ships after first semester party? Considering how many girls were "orbiting" around you during our university times... I'm sure you are still good with names!"

Raf was in really good mood that day.
Last edited July 26, 2023 12:02 am
Jul 26, 2023 12:08 am
OOC:
If anyone will not want to add anything to their reactions or situation Raf will try to make their way towards power plant room in cooperation with Ronny. If someone will: Raf will gladly interact.
Jul 26, 2023 4:51 am
- Lio -

"Oh." Abby says, though you can't tell over the comms how she feels about this. It is possible she does not know herself. She has been scared of this part, and knowing that someone else --someone she assumed was experienced and confident-- was also worried might have given her someone to talk to about her fears... on the other hand hearing that you --with your space experience, but also with your medical understanding-- are scared may well have pushed her past the point of being able to put the suit on herself. It is too late for that now though, and she has her own issues to worry about.

Bob is not nearby, and he may not have heard this over the comms. At least he does not comment on the topic. You may have to talk to him, though, what with your still being on his ship.

What do you do?
Jul 26, 2023 4:52 am
- Ronny -

The inside doors are all manually operable when the power is off, the locks are electronic, so there does not appear to be any way to lock them without power. From your experience this is normal and you can easily open any closed ones and move around now that you are past the perimeter. Security cameras everywhere hang dormant without power.

It does not take long for the airlock to cycle the gear through.

What do you do?
Jul 26, 2023 4:54 am
- Raf -

Abby laughs at your comment about her weight, she is not exactly a 'small girl' but seems more than happy with her weight and her appearance. She launches herself out of the airlock... way too fast, probably a combination of suddenly having the extra weight of the suit off her shoulders as well as her lack of experience in zero-g. Her arms flail all over the place as she flies though the air, fast enough to hurt herself if she hits something wrong.

The lights clipped to her vacc suit dance crazily around the interior as she goes.

What do you do?
Jul 26, 2023 8:34 pm
Ronny allows himself a quick chuckle. "I admire your optimism, Raf. I'll be happy when we're decoupled and on our way to a fueling station." He says, still very serious. "Yeah, let's get this power on."

Ronny grabs hold of the railings that are found around the top of the hull, moving along the corridors of the ship. "In here, right?" He asks Raf when he comes to a door. Luckily, this wasn't the first time on a space ship, for them.

So when Raf makes a comment about weight, that's acceptable. I see how it is. He thinks, a bit annoyed. But he quickly forgets it and gets on with the task at hand.

"I think we should do critical systems only at first. Don't want to light this thing up like a christmas tree until we're ready to leave."
Jul 28, 2023 7:22 am
'' Hey Ronny, before you go off exploring inside the ship, could you pressurize the airlock again? That way Bob and I can start loading the small stuff in there. The big boxes we will stack in front of the cargo door''

'' You'll be rid of us soon Bob, if you could just help me with these boxes that would be great. Some are heavy but I rather do this labor instead of getting claustrophobic in a vac suit''

Lio tried to joke about it, but it's clear he means what he says.
Jul 28, 2023 2:47 pm
"Right." Ronny says over the comms. "I almost forgot." He shuts the airlock door and initiates the next cycle. "That should do it."
Aug 1, 2023 1:14 pm
Seeing Abby "flying by" near the Raf and making some chaotic movements Raf feels an urge to help her:

"Our hacker have to be in good shape. We have a work to do as Ronny said. Besides... I wouldn't want her pretty face... eh... to have some brusies... eh... wait... that shouldn't have anything to do with hacking. What were you thinking Raf?"

Rafael makes a quick calculation if he should throw him self in order to rescue Abby and risk himself in the proces. But his learned from the noble childhood gallantry is apparently too rooted in himself and even though being a "completely different person" then the one on Ignomia, he couldn't let "the lady hurt herself"... and throws himself - already adjusted a little to the zero-g - to give the girl a hand: in those first few steps that she makes on the path of life of spacer...

"Always eager to get to work, huh?" - he ask - already lunched towards Abby making helpless movements.

Rolls

DEX +Athletics(Dexterity)-2 - (2d6-2)

(64) - 2 = 8

Aug 2, 2023 10:04 am
Floating towards Abby, Raf was hoping for some nice moves of his own, that will stabilize the situation in an instant. Unfortunately he probably spent too much time on the planet surface recently, and his body have to re-learn how to behave in zero-g again. So instead of "bringing Abby to safety", it more looked like "grabbing the girl by ankle, and stoping her from hitting the wall with her head". Better than nothing. But probably not that was expected from former Merchant Marine....

"Ok... Abby. There. Hold this bar - near the wall. Or better yet strap your suit to it and slide along the wall. You'll be fine. Now we have to get to the engine room." - seeing that Abby is holding to something, he got back to helping Ronny with opening the cargo hold door.

Seeing quite vast space that is quite empty right now - Raf smiles - seeing in his mind a few rows of containers with some valuable goods they will soon buy and then sell to best buyer.

"Come on Ronny! This time: I spin and you pull! :) It should be this one airlock door, then ordinary iris valve and we should arrive to the place. Very heart of our new ship!" - Raf encourages Ronny to go faster to open the doors - while Abby - probably - will be moving around cargo hold walls attached to the holding bars.
Aug 2, 2023 11:10 am
- Lio -

"Sure thing." Bob says, grabbing one of Abby's bags and grunting at the weight. He checks the comms are not on before admitting. "I can't stand those things myself. The thought that nothing more than a thin strip of mylar and canvas separates me from the cruel vacuum of space..." He shudders, you can guess that he has probably seen things.

"Once they are powered up we can take Ginger into the hold and unload all your other belongings in the comfort of gravity and open air." He comments, he does not mention the possibility that you might fail and have to load everything back into his Gig and go home.

What do you do?
Aug 2, 2023 11:15 am
"Thank you." Abby says as Raf rescues her, but she is still laughing and definitely enjoying herself --possibly more than is safe-- and maybe resents the 'spoilsport' attitude of sliding along the wall.

When you open the door to the cargo hold, though, she can definitely see the point of not floating off into nowhere. She looks wistfully at the cargo-crane hanging in the middle of the hold, you just know that if it were powered, she would be wanting to use that to swing her over to the other side. The route around the bay is long, and Abby is starting to get tired by the time she gets to the other side --this is unfamiliar exercise for her.

You get Abby settled examining the power-plant and can go back for the rest of the gear she says she will need. It will probably be more than one trip for the two of you, though Abby did have the stuff positioned in the order she guesses she will need it --if you can remember that order after having someone else load it into the airlock.

By the time you get back with the first load she has found some model and serial numbers and is struggling to make a note of them while floating around. This job is going to be hard for her --and it was a hard job to start with-- and any help you can provide to make her life easier will cut down the time you need before you can get going.
The unfamiliar Vacc Suit is causing Abby most of the problems (DM-2 for each 'missing level', so DM-4 to everything she does), and the Low Gravity is also making it harder (DM-1), but Abby has said that 'getting in' before the power comes on is important. Once the computer has booted up its defences will be online, making her job Formidable (14+), but if she can intercept the boot process she can prevent those security systems from starting, reducing it to merely Very Difficult (12+).

Getting in early also allows her to disable any 'calling back home' at next to no cost.

If she is forced to rush the power-up (maybe to get Artificial Gravity (AG) up or to get Life-Support going) both those benefits go out the window --as it were.

It has been discussed that Abby could go slow and this whole process might take nearly a week (1d6 x Days) (for DM+2) or she can work 'at regular speed' and it may take between half a day and two and a half days (1d6 x 10Hours), or she can rush and it will take less than a day (1d6 x 4Hours) (with a DM-2).
OOC:
What was decided?
Abby is rolling with: Computers +3, INT +2, Intrusion Software +2, Hackers Toolkit +2, Low Gravity -1, Vacc Suit -4, = +5
Vs a Difficulty of 10+ through 14+

If there is anything you can do to remove some of those obstacles or to make her life easier we can adjust those numbers. These may be Task Chains, or just number movements.

What do you do?
Aug 7, 2023 8:52 pm
"Alright, Abbs. You know what to do and we know you can do it." Ronny reminds her. "Don't worry about the time. Just get us in without raising too many alarms. If anyone calls in, we'll handle it." He looks at Raf when he says that last part. To be honest, Ronny was worried about time. The sooner they could get out the better, but rushing it was probably something that would bite them in the ass later on.

After watching Abby try and use her tools in zero G's with a vacc suit, it's pretty obvious that she feels out of her element here. Ronny takes Raf separately for a minute. "Don't let her know we noticed, but she's having issue with this environment. Did we bring anything that could help her?"
Aug 8, 2023 8:47 pm
Checking his comm channel is only set on Ronny, Raf agrees: "Yes. You are right. She is not used to this. We will spend week here of more if leave the thing this way. But I have some idea for this. Do you remember the first cargo we secured for our journey towards our next destination? You were afraid that it may be something illegal... I checked with the scanner what it is... and guess what I found in this brown container from Alex?" - said Raf with a big smile suspending the last words even more they were suspended in the Betty's cargo hold with zero-g and lights off.
Aug 10, 2023 7:11 am
Ronny thinks for a minute but comes up blank. "Not sure. What was in it? Pretty sure it wouldn't be some kind of easy hack tool."
Aug 10, 2023 10:25 pm
"A freaking grav plates!" - Raf exclaims having a little problem not to show his excitement, knowing how rare this kind of cargo is.

"But probably it will be not so wise to use them... so early. You know how Alex is about "his precious cargo". As they probably will help much less then getting rid off those ancient vacc suits." - says Raf much calmer.

At this point Raf changes channels in his comms in the way that everyone in their group should hear him.

"Speaking of which: the engine room has its own airlock... so we could connect Ginger to it and pomp air in there... so Abby will be able to undress... I mean get rid off this clumsy vac suit and work faster and in greater comfort. Even I will be faster without it working on the engine." - Raf looks at Ronny to check his reaction for the idea.

"But to do this... we have to solve two minor problems: we have to get Ginger inside this ship's cargo hold and have something to connect Ginger and engine room airlocks. And for this we need also two steps."

"One - A: I will unlock the cargo hold doors from inside and use cargo-crane in the hold to push the doors open - powering it with portable generator I took with me."

"One - B: You and Lio have to go in Ginger to caretaker and convince him to lend us "portable airlock dock" - he should have some of those, as they are used in repair situations like this. I'm sure you both will come up with something that will leave him without slightest suspicions:) "

"Two: You return in Ginger with the device, fly into the cargo hold and I will pull it close with cargo-crane again and close the locks. The rest will be even easier."

"So... are we ready for this? Team?" - the last word is pronounced with little hesitation in Raf mouth... as he used the term for them for the first time.

"Yeah... we really start to work like a team... - Raf thinks smiling.
Aug 11, 2023 10:13 am
"Grav plates? Really? Well heck, that'd be useful!" Ronny replies, quite excited. "I mean, anything we can do to help Abby out should be good." Even though Alex might be miffed about it, that's a worry for later. Getting out safely is their top priority right now.

He laughs when Raf misspeaks about Abby 'undressing'. "Careful with your words there, Raf. She might get the wrong idea."
OOC:
Edit in blue.
After listening to Raf's idea, he chimes in. "Hmm It'll definitely help us, but it also could create other problems. I don't have that much experience with it myself, but you've probably done that sort of thing before, right?" He asks Raf more as a casual confirmation that anything else. "Sounds like we have a course of action then."
Last edited August 11, 2023 11:02 am
Aug 13, 2023 1:49 pm
''That's a nice plan Raf, Bob and I will be on our way as soon as possible. It will be nice to do something useful.''
Lio looks at Bob and asks him how fast they can leave. Regretting using the word 'fast' immediately after uttering it.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.