Heist the Colours 2: Now in Space (RP)

load previous
Sep 6, 2023 7:00 am
After boarding Ginger, Ronny asks Lio "So the airlock is secured?" Then calls out to Bob "Let's head on back then."

"What did Raf say?"
Sep 7, 2023 11:52 am
'' Yep, good to go!
Raf asked to inspect the body for cause of death and maybe strange diseases. But that would blow our cover and possibly make us lose the airlock. So I took a small gamble there. We could disinfect as good as possible to set his mind at ease.''
Sep 8, 2023 7:45 am
"I'm pretty sure that Helen would have looked sick if that were the case, no?" Ronny asks. "She seemed pretty healthy and she mentioned that he'd been sick for a long time." He makes sure to be sitting down and have his seatbelt fastened before Bob takes off this time.

"So, where are we attaching this thing?"
Sep 8, 2023 9:17 am
Helen did indeed look tired, but not sick. If you accepted any leftover food and are really worried Lio could check that for pathogens (or pathogen remains since almost everything was cooked and that should kill any pathogens).

"It took you long enough." Bob jibes, but he does not sound resentful. He is used to sitting and waiting, and it smells like he has been exercising.

The trip back is a more leisurely quarter of an hour.
Sep 8, 2023 9:22 am
- Raf -

Abby confirms that the crates appear to be secured down. She then makes her way back to your position, either she is scared of the prospect of 'wide open space' when the doors open and wants to be close to another human being, or she wants to see the universe once it is revealed... or, maybe she just wants to be close to you?

You have control of the crane, though this is not how it is meant to be used so the controls don't have the amount of 'feel' that you might like while contacting the hull of your ship.
The door is going to be open, no matter the outcome, the roll is more about whether you can close it again afterwards.
It is a Difficultly 10+ Remote Ops (probably with INT?), you have -2 from the Vacc Suit, and possibly -1 from Zero-G (depending on what exactly you are doing and how much the lack of gravity affects things), but a +2 from your Task Chain [ref] in addition to your character's stats.
If you want to be done by the time your companions get back you will need to do this at 'regular speed', but if you are happy for it to take longer and make them wait, then you can choose to Go Slower and get a +2, you will then need roll 1d6 Hours for the duration and anything more than a 1 or maybe 2 will mean they have to wait, else they can come straight in.

What do you do?
Sep 9, 2023 6:09 pm
"Yeah, I know it took a while, Bob." Ronny says. "Sorry about that. There's a bit of a ... situation there. We'll tell you on the way to Raf." He offers Bob some of the leftover that they got from Helen.
Sep 9, 2023 10:08 pm
"Yum! Mom food!" Bob says, delightedly digging in as he flies.
Sep 11, 2023 9:05 am
OOC:
Yeah... I also feel that INT for this task feels good - as probably it's more like "programing" the crane then doing it manually - as systems should be ready to help spacers with such tasks not relying on their own dexterity too much. So canceling vacc suit patently with bonus from previous task - will not write that in the roll description. But I'm not so sure with zero-g here - as I imagine it as, there should be a ladder to the crane(as I imagine them being attached to the ceiling of the cargo hold) and some secure seat, or if it is indeed more like programing - zero-g shouldn't influence the process too much(as there is probably one secured panel to do the staff). So not incorporating it in my roll for now, but if you feel different - please add it! :)
Raf will not risk making his friends wait... wouldn't look too good... :) (so let's hope, that this "rush" won't bite Raf back... ;) )
"So they crate are on their destined places? Good. Now... let's check if you are secured to the crane ladder properly... very well done! You are really getting better at this Abby! So... now... please wait there a few more seconds... I will open the cargo door locks so the door could be pushed by our fancy crane and... be here right back, ok?" - without waiting for her confirmation (and after being sure she is secularly attached to the cargo crane ladder) - knowing that it Lio and Ronny could be getting back to them quite soon - Raf reconnects his suit from crane to the ceiling railings and goes to the lock panel and do the "manual unlocking procedure".

While working with a lock he tries to reignite the conversation, through the comms with Abby: "So... do you have any ideas about our ship's name?" - getting back to his question earlier. Being interested about her answer and wanting to comfort her leaving her alone once again - in equal measures.

"That was easy. Hope every other device on the ship works equally good!" - Raf thinks after opening the lock and starting to get back to Abby and the crane.

When he get back to the crane, he takes the operator seat once more, looks at Abby and says:
"So... are you ready to look The Void straight into its eyes, Abby?" - looking carefully at her face, being very well visible behind the suit visor, due them being attached to the same crane (with small, single seat) - being genuinely interested what he will find there.

"With me..." - he adds in his mind... feeling something resembling shyness... to his surprise... what is the feeling that he haven't felt for a very long time now... and refocuses himself on the work at hand.
Last edited September 11, 2023 9:06 am

Rolls

Remote Ops.(INT) - Opening the door with a cargo crane - TN 10 - (2d6+1+1)

(34) + 2 = 9

Sep 11, 2023 1:40 pm
- Raf -

"I prefer to get to know a new someone before giving her a name." Abby answers your question. "I don't know who she is yet."

At the prospect of 'space' she looks excited --if you judge this correctly-- and reaches out as though to hold you hand --which could be from fear, but you get the feeling isn't. Taking her hand might complicate things a little bit, but it is up to you.
The crane is very powerful, and you have zero feel for how much energy it is exerting or if it is straining at all, so it comes as a surprise when your small movement to nudge the door open takes a moment longer than expected, followed by a POP that you feel through the metal of controls and your seat --Abby, floating beside you-- does not feel the pop, and stares in wonder at the stars arrayed in the heavens --light pollution and atmosphere on Ruby means what stars can be seen are very feint.

The door slides open smoothly and, aside from the pop, everything looks good at this time.

What do you do?
Sep 11, 2023 1:42 pm
- Lio and Ronny -

A little while later.

As you arrive back at the ship you can see that the cargo bay doors are open and inviting. Bob has to wash his hands of food, but then easily pilots the Gig into the hold and then past the crane, right up to the door to the engine room.

In Zero-G it should be easy to maneuver the crate of the dock out of Ginger, though the crane will help if Raf says it is safe to use. It still needs to be unpacked and attached to the internal bulkhead of the ship, but that is a relatively Routine Mechanical Task.

Once everyone is in place Bob assures you he can dock with it, even in the strange instance of doing so inside another ship.

What do you do?
Sep 12, 2023 6:01 pm
"Good to see you guys again." Ronny says, when he gets back on comms with everyone. "Well done with the cargo doors."

After getting together and discussing what went on at the caretaker's place, he asks Raf and Abby "So, what's next? Are we ready to start getting this thing up and running?"
Sep 14, 2023 8:54 pm
With enough time (and swearing, because apparently that helps) you get the equipment unloaded and unpacked from Ginger.

You are ready to install the Airlock Docking Couple around the internal Airlock between the Cargo Hold to the Engine Room. You have probably been trained to do this in an emergency situation, and this is much easier since there is no emergency happening, and you can take your time (for a DM+2).
OOC:
Attaching the Airlock Dock is a Routing (6+) Mechanics roll, with whatever Stat you think appropriate.
(If you have not received the training to do this, then it is Average (8+) since they are designed to be easy to use under pressure. But maybe let someone else do it?)
If you can justify having done it many times before, you can lobby for a Boon Die.
Sep 19, 2023 8:05 am
OOC:
Referring to Abby's hand reaching towards Raf - I thought it could be fun if he misunderstood the context/intentions.
"Wow... the girl must be really scarred... I will better hold her hand... we don't want to have panicked hacker on board... there is a lot of this computer stuff to do... still." - Raf thought while giving the "helping hand" to Abby.
"Good to see you too Ronny, Lio and Bob!" - Raf welcomed them with really cheerful voice, as he started to be impatient for the next steps of waking up their ship.
"I couldn't allow my friends to get back here and meet the closed door! This is our new home so the doors should be always open for us!" - he added not changing the tone of his voice, but hiding deep inside the chilling thought that this "pop" when he opened the door wasn't "exactly expected" by him.
OOC:
I'm quite certain that those that were at the marine - recited the proper training. Securing airlocks, air and sealings between two ships seems like a very important subject in space travel, so I feel we were trained for this. About "doing it many times"... I will start some retrospection with Ronny or Lio... about such thing and let's wait for their answer, then we will see if the boon is justified in Your eyes - Vague, ok? So then they will be able to roll it.
"So - Ronny " - Raf referred specially to his friend question - " now - we connect the thing to two doors: engine room and Ginger's airlock, just like at the training routines at the marine. Should be easy. Let me prepare the connectors... But... Ronny! Do you remember when we used the previous model, but almost identical to this one... on Selba Space Station... to make this contraband route between modules? It was so simple, but brilliant idea of yours... that it haven't come to the space station authorities' 'narrowly trained' minds for weeks that we could do such thing! You should sell some of the juicier bits of this story to the rest of the crew... while I will be unfolding the tunnel and prepare the thing to connection... " - and Raf moved to do his work, waiting for his friend to continue the story, while he will be preparing the device and wondered if anyone could help him with this.
OOC:
Rolling for DEX, as it feels the most proper for this... unfortunately I have no +mods for this...

Rolls

Mechanics(DEX), taking time, vacc suit patently, TN 6 - (2d6+1+2-2)

(63) + 1 = 10

Sep 20, 2023 7:12 pm
- Raf -

Abby does not notice anything strange with the opening of the doors --but then, she is floating and only linked to the ship through your hand when you give it to her.

"Oh! Wow!" She exclaims with a halt in her voice. "There are so many of them." She squeezes your hand tight as she says this, you still can't tell, through all the layers, what she is feeling.
Sep 20, 2023 7:14 pm
'Drills and Skills', they said in training, and that pays off. In no time the temporary Airlock Docking Ring is installed, Bob has everyone outside stand back a little ways --possibly closer than would be strictly approved of-- and makes it look easy as he swings the multi-ton Gig around in the hold and attaches the side Airlock to the new Dock. Once attached, however, Bob suddenly becomes a lot more cautious, and spends an inordinate amount of time testing the seals before declaring them safe and starting to pressurizer the engine room.

Pressurizing takes a while --the engine room being almost as large as the Gig itself-- but once done the Airlock can hold the pressure if Bob needs to detach, and you can use the Gig's rear Cargo Bay loading doors to pass through to the rest of the ship as needed.

It was suggested that Abby get some sleep while this connecting up was happening, but --even with the slow pressurization-- she as not had time to get any rest, if she fell asleep at all.

Abby is eager to get to work, do you insist or encourage her to sleep first? It has been a big day for her.
Sep 22, 2023 10:22 am
Lio watches Abby closely, she looks tired, but her movement and mood are not showing any signs of fatigue.

'' Hey Abby, you've been going at it for a while now, are you good? Do you need some rest? Have you even eaten anything? ''
Lio starts rummaging through the supplies looking for a prepackaged sandwich.
'' You know, if you would just lie down for a little while that will give you an energy boost''
Sep 22, 2023 2:23 pm
"Selba Space Station.. Now there's a memory!" Ronny chuckles at Raf's comments. He's all too happy to tell them about his idea and how nobody believed it would work at first. "They said the police would figure it out in 5 minutes. But they couldn't have been more wrong!" He laughs. "Of course, I couldn't have done it without Raf's handy work." Ronny had some nice ideas, but Raf was the one who could put them into practice and always delivered.

The story goes on for a little bit, until Lio's remark towards Abby. Now that it's been mentioned, he does notice that Abby is looking a bit tired. "Yeah, Abbs, we've got to wait anyway. Get some rest. Do you need us to set anything else up?"

Ronny tries to help Raf where he can with the setup and Bob with the check for leaks. He's thrilled when Bob gives the all clear and they can get to pressurizing the room.
Sep 22, 2023 9:34 pm
"I'm good to go." Abby says, though this is more an issue of enthusiasm than truth. At the mention of food she seems to suddenly remember that that is a thing people do. "No. I was in that ... suit." She admits, and you suspect there was an elided swearword before 'suit'. She eagerly takes what you offer (possible some leftovers if Bob left any over?) and digs in.

"I'm sorry I could not cut it." She says while she eats. "I had no idea how awkward those suits are. You guys make it look so easy." There is look of admiration towards Raf who was the bulk of her experience watching people in suits. "Once I can work without that thing, I should be ready to get this puppy going."

Boo 'swims' up to her, apparently quite happy in zero-G, and Abby feeds him some leaves and snuggles with him and eventually agrees to try get some rest.

You are still not sure exactly what her pet is, it might be some sort of Guinea Pig or a Giant Hamster? It has been quite well behaved, and aside from occasionally needing to nudge it back to a wall --when it got stranded, floating in open space-- having it onboard has not presented any problems.
https://i.imgur.com/bjAs2g8.jpg
The engine room is filled with air before Abby is asleep, but you can let her rest, and maybe get some rest yourselves (in case you need to make a quick getaway?), or tackle other tasks, or explore.

What do you do?
Sep 23, 2023 9:40 pm
"Well the caregiver isn't going to give us any problems, it seems." Ronny remarks. "At least not concerning our 'job' here in this ship. If anything we have all the time we want as far as she is concerned."

He checks a few things here and there to try and help Abby. Besides that, Ronny spends most of his time thinking of the situation and the best course of action. Some kind of plan in case things don't go their way. "Maybe I should call her on comms? Let her know we made it back safely. If we keep her happy to have us around, we might be in a better position in case the owners of the ship call in."
Sep 24, 2023 8:07 am
''you do that Ronny, I'm gonna take some shut -eye myself ''
Lio yawns and gets ready for a power nap.

'' Be sure to wake me whenever you see fit''
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.