Chapter 1: The One Who Watches From Below

load previous
Oct 25, 2023 8:29 pm
"East then, is it? Toward the smell of sulfur and decay?"
The cleric stows her crossbow and begins to lead the way. Her eagerness to find or fight their way out is growing.
Oct 26, 2023 12:36 am
Aldar barely hears the others while he pours over the page he ripped from the spellbook. When he realizes that the party is moving on, he rolls up the page and slips it into his pack. Then he follows - trying not to get too close to the front of the marching order.
Oct 26, 2023 1:23 am
Wiping the goo from his blade Hyde falls in with the others and heads East. So far the journey had not paid off for the sellsword, the ratio of blood to gold was way off of what he had anticipated.
Oct 26, 2023 12:18 pm
You descend a wide set of stairs carved directly into the rock. The stairs open into an enormous chamber. The foul, musty, reek is unbearable. Above you can dimly see stalactites piercing the ceiling like giant daggers. A narrow rocky ledge extends toward the center of the pit at the end of which lies a stone altar topped by a pile of gold coins. To each side of the ledge, wide stone stairs descend to the cave floor.
Oct 26, 2023 12:43 pm
Brother Tim steps closer to the altar just in range for the Detect Evil spell. He begins to chant the incantation, the words flowing with intent and determination.

However, the incantation yields no power. "I can't fathom why it's not working," Brother Tim mutters to himself, his brow furrowed in confusion.
OOC:
Disapproval. The cleric immediately incurs an additional -1 penalty to all spell checks that lasts until the next day.
Last edited October 26, 2023 12:52 pm

Rolls

Spell Check - Detect Evil - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Disapproval - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Oct 26, 2023 12:51 pm
Aldar eyed the gold suspiciously. "Oh, that can't be good. Trap, right?"
Oct 27, 2023 2:12 am
Aislynn, unpurtubed by the surroundings, walks cautiously towards the altar.
Oct 27, 2023 2:49 am
"Ask and ye shall receive" mumbles Hyde as he slowly creeps towards the altar, sword before him...
Oct 27, 2023 11:40 am
Kip can't help but salivate at the intoxicating scent of pile of gold as you approach the altar. As you ascend the stairs, you see an incredible sight: a gaping, black pit surrounded on all sides with enough treasure to fill ten dragon hoards – mountains of gold coins, precious gems, gleaming swords, and huge chests. It is the biggest single haul that you have ever seen before!
Oct 27, 2023 12:24 pm
Kip takes a moment to bask in the beautiful sight. She vigorously shakes her head and scans the stonework for any sign of traps.
OOC:
So...is that a brain aneurysm?
Last edited October 27, 2023 12:24 pm

Rolls

Intelligence 1d20 - 1 - (1d10-1)

(1) - 1 = 0

Oct 27, 2023 12:24 pm
Kip does not notice anything unusual about the stonework. But that treasure sure smells tasty!!!!
Oct 27, 2023 2:48 pm
Interested in only the highest value items, Sister Honey lights up her magic sensing spell once within 30 feet.
OOC:
Oops. Adding a point of disapproval
Last edited October 27, 2023 2:49 pm

Rolls

Detect Magic - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Oct 29, 2023 3:35 am
Sister Honey reconsiders her plan of simply grabbing only the most valuable items and turns to run back where the wheelbarrows were lined up. Muttering to herself, she says, "I suppose I’ll just take a barrow load and sort it out later."
Oct 30, 2023 4:33 pm
"Careful now... You may be able to smell gold dwarf, but I can smell trouble and this reeks of it."
Oct 31, 2023 2:33 am
Kip nods in agreement to the sellsword. I doubt that this treasure is unprotected. I'll keep an eye out. Kip positions herself in a defensive stance and scans the gaping pit for signs of movement.
Oct 31, 2023 2:37 am
Aislynn moves ever closer to the alter...
Oct 31, 2023 4:23 am
"Well, it is what I came down here for… and if no one else is going for it, move aside."
The cleric pushes her wheelbarrow toward the treasure pile and stops when she sees chests. She will load up two or three nice ones before wheeling it back out.
Oct 31, 2023 11:25 am
As soon as Honey touches the treasure, a sudden blast of wind from the pit almost knocks you to the floor. The entire chamber glows with sickly green light coming from the pit as a gargantuan black rubbery mass of tendrils, fins, and eyestalks thrusts up from the stygian depths. The hair on the back of your neck stands up as the writhing stalks twist into the air. Enormous eyes glare malevolently with orange irises, like pools of fire.

Thousands upon thousands of glittering pairs of dots appear on the walls around you. They are eyes! A maddening sound, like screeching monkeys and breaking glass, thunders in your skull. Is this some sort of language? The eyes on the walls start to drift along the wall toward you. The walls shudder as a stalactite falls from the ceiling and crashes into the floor.
OOC:
Aislynn, Honey, Hyde, and Kip may all act! There is one massive guardian beast rising from the pit and five separate walls of eyes that count as enemies. You can fight, flee, or try to gather up treasure! Grabbing treasure requires the use of an action die.

The closest treasure is located on the altar 100’ from the exit. The altar holds 1 lockbox and enough coins to fill one small bag. The next closest treasure is located at the foot of the stairs 120’ from safety. There are 2 lockboxes, 4 coffers, 1 treasure chest, and enough coins to fill any size container. The best loot is located closer to the pit, 145’ from the exit. There are 10 coffers, 4 treasure chests, and piles of coin to fill any size container.

Close to the pit, two magic items are in plain view: a blue magic wand and a gleaming longsword with a blood red hilt and black tassels.

Encumbrance: The maximum amount of treasure a character can carry without slowing down is 1 small bag. At half speed, a character can move 2 lockboxes or small bags, 1 coffer or large bag, or half a chest. Moving a chest requires two characters. A character with a wheelbarrow can move at normal speed while pushing twice their maximum weight. Moving a large chest with a wheelbarrow would still halve the mover’s speed, but the chest can be moved by a single person.

Good luck!!!
https://i.imgur.com/Hje7V1E.png

Rolls

Initiative - (d20+1, d20-1, d20, d20+2, d20, d20, d20+1)

d20+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

d20-1 : (4) - 1 = 3

d20 : (5) = 5

d20+2 : (14) + 2 = 16

d20 : (8) = 8

d20 : (13) = 13

d20+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

Oct 31, 2023 3:25 pm
OOC:
Lol. I figured there was a reason why there were wheelbarrows nearby.
The ambitious cleric proceeds faithfully to the mid-range treasure and fills the wheelbarrow with one lockbox, one coffer, and one chest. She grabs both handles firmly and speedily makes for exit, fully bracing for an attack.
OOC:
Tell me if you need a roll.
Oct 31, 2023 9:43 pm
Aislynn grabs the lockbox and bag and flees for her very life!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.