Chapter 1: The One Who Watches From Below

load previous
Sep 24, 2023 10:15 pm
Lowering his voice, Aldar responds to Hyde, "I'm not sure everyone in the group is capable of such restraint."
Sep 25, 2023 11:57 am
Aldar is not able to learn anything from his examination of the statue.
OOC:
Where to? North or south to side rooms, or west through the double doors?
Sep 25, 2023 2:51 pm
"There are strange things about down here, for certain. Let us be on alert as we check out these side rooms."
Sister Honey turns to the crew.
"As you can witness, I am on a holy quest and will be protected."
She tries the door to the south.
Sep 25, 2023 3:17 pm
Tall bookshelves are arranged in neat lengthwise rows and stacked against every wall, packed with a wealth of tomes in every size and color. Comfy reading chairs and tables are gathered along the northern side. A thick book lies open on a wooden lectern facing the entryway.

The tome on the lectern catalogs every book in the library and its location. The roster of books is impressive indeed, including atlases, historical references, map folios, compendiums of flora and fauna, religious texts, and treatises on alchemy.
Sep 25, 2023 3:27 pm
The cleric quickly scans the directory index for any mention in the religious section of the Lady in Blue, expecting none. Then she makes way for Aldar.
"What mage doesn’t crave a library? Won’t you have a look?"
Sep 25, 2023 4:12 pm
Hyde saunters into the library with a sigh,

"Books. Great."

The warrior does his usual circuit of the room and then stands guard by the door, examining the edge of his sword out of boredom.

"Be quick, there are greater treasures here than this."
Sep 25, 2023 4:23 pm
To Honey’s surprise, there is a reference to the Lady in Blue in the catalog. Finding the appropriate folio on the shelves, she reads that the Lady in Blue was a powerful lord of Chaos with designs towards the disruption of all Lawful society in the universe. Full of jealousy and lust for power, the Lady’s lieutenants destroyed her and squandered her treasures and influence. At least, according to the book...
Sep 25, 2023 8:05 pm
Honey is not wrong about Aldar. He flips through the book looking for something that might help him when he next tries to entreat the Elf King.
Sep 25, 2023 9:11 pm
Nothing immediately seems useful to Aldar. It would take quite a long time to search through the library for that type of knowledge.
Sep 25, 2023 9:35 pm
Turning to Aldar,
"I know that you are already deriving your magical powers from your source patron…however, if you ever have doubt that yours is the right fit, I will gladly guide you to the powerful embrace of the Lady in Blue. She is the Righter of Wrongs, the Swinger of the Pendulum, the Undoing of Lawful Oppression, and chief amongst other divine beings."
If Hyde finds nothing on, beneath, or behind the bookshelves, the chaos cleric will return to the larger hall with intent on checking the north door.
OOC:
Are we still relating to Baxwen and Pyne as they are NPCs or did they simply vanish?
Sep 25, 2023 9:43 pm
Kip makes her way next to Hyde but scans the hallways for any shifting walls and traps.
OOC:
What would I roll to use my underground skill?
Sep 26, 2023 5:23 am
Hyde accompanies Honey and Kip back out to the next door...
Sep 26, 2023 7:49 am
OOC:
I'll run Baxwen and Pyne as NPCs for now. If I don't hear from either one in the next few days, though, I will try to recruit new players.

@DaBardsItch , it's an Intelligence check to search for hidden stonework.
Kip doesn't notice anything unusual about the stonework in these chambers.

A cacophony of growls, hisses, and shrieks erupt as soon as Honey opens the north door. Iron cages line the walls, filled with a wild assortment of beasts from far-flung regions. Two spiny hounds leap to the ground in front of you. Each has enormous eyes with stone grey irises on their flanks. The vile beasts trot toward you sideways on three pairs of legs, all the while hissing and tossing their heads from side to side.

https://i.imgur.com/OXjB5tM.png
OOC:
Baxwen and @Darkstar8 may act first!

Rolls

Initiative - (d20-1, d20+1, d20, d20+2, d20, d20+2, d20+2)

d20-1 : (9) - 1 = 8

d20+1 : (20) + 1 = 21

d20 : (13) = 13

d20+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

d20 : (9) = 9

d20+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

d20+2 : (7) + 2 = 9

Sep 26, 2023 1:45 pm
Almost without thinking, Sister Honey blurts out the arcane words forming the paralysis charm. Aiming at the one nearest her, she grips her holy mace and bonks it on the head.
OOC:
Results: The cleric's hands and melee weapons are charged with the energy of paralysis. The charge remains for 1d4+CL rounds. Any attack by the cleric during this period delivers normal damage plus paralysis if the target fails a Will save. The paralyzed creature is unable to move or take any physical action for 1d6+CL rounds.
"Baxwen! Get thee behind me!"
Last edited September 26, 2023 1:52 pm

Rolls

Paralysis - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Mace attack roll - (1d20-1)

(17) - 1 = 16

Mace dmg - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Duration of the charge - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Paralysis duration - (1d6+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Sep 26, 2023 2:24 pm
Honey strikes one of the hounds with her enpowered mace, wounding and paralyzing the beast! Baxwen bashes the other one with one if his clubs. In response, the hound focuses the gaze of its side-eyes on the halfling! He feels his body starting to stiffen up, but Baxwen shakes off the petrifying attack!
OOC:
Everybody may act!

Rolls

Baxwen Attacks - (d16+3, d16+3)

d16+3 : (14) + 3 = 17

d16+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Damage - (d4+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Fortitude vs Paralysis - (d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Baxwen Fortitude DC 12 - (d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Sep 27, 2023 6:59 pm
Kip charges to the beast that Honey paralyzed and shouts For the Blue Lady!

Rolls

Spear Atk 1d20+1 - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Spear Dmg 1d8+1 - (1d8+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Sep 27, 2023 9:39 pm
Aldar recites the ancient words that bring forth The Arrows of Althazar, then points his finger at the unparalyzed hound. But again, nothing happens. Cursing himself, Aldar moves to put the hardier party members between himself and the hounds.
OOC:
Aldar attempts to cast magic missile... and fails.
Last edited September 27, 2023 9:40 pm

Rolls

Magic missile spell check - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Sep 28, 2023 12:11 am
Hyde charges the mobile hound, sword in hand. He strikes at the eyes on the flank in an effort to blind them...
OOC:
No deed but 9 damage
Last edited September 28, 2023 12:12 am

Rolls

Longsword - Roll - (1d20+3, 1d3)

1d20+3 : (17) + 3 = 20

1d3 : (2) = 2

Damage - (1d8+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Sep 28, 2023 1:10 am
If the remaining beast still stands, the cleric will tap it on the head with her magicked mace and put it to sleep.

Rolls

Mace - Roll - (1d20-1)

(9) - 1 = 8

Sep 28, 2023 7:59 am
OOC:
@DaBardsItch, it looks like you've been forgetting your attack bonus as a dwarf, as well as your mighty deed of arms and sword and board ability.
[ +- ] Dwarf Abilities
Hyde and Kip hack and slash, taking out the vile hound! You are able to easily dispatch the paralyzed foe after that.
OOC:
@timplausible, your spell wasn't needed so you can still retain it for the day, or at least until you roll low again!
With the monsters defeated, you can look around at the other creatures caged around the room. They include two giant ants, a gargoyle, a four-armed ape-man, two dire wolves, an owlbear, and a giant rat! Fortunately, the cages seem secure enough to hold them. They are no threat to you at the moment, even as they growl, snarl, and hiss angrily.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.